Search This thread

norpan111

Mar 28, 2010
Halmstad
I wiped and flashed several times. It really feels like an update going back to bg. Its ALOT faster in my opinion. Even crashing an app takes forever on ics :p

You guys who run ics, can you text with word prediction on qwwerty keyboard without lag?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

doree

Jan 3, 2010
You guys who run ics, can you text with word prediction on qwwerty keyboard without lag?

I have no problems at all, sir.

EDIT: Now i have the issue, that my phone wakes up for every 3-5 minutes and gets back to sleep after 2-3 seconds. Pretty annoying!

Last edited:

frottage

Aug 27, 2007
I have no problems at all, sir.

EDIT: Now i have the issue, that my phone wakes up for every 3-5 minutes and gets back to sleep after 2-3 seconds. Pretty annoying!

surely this sort of thing is exactly what Villian ROM does - takes the stock and makes it better

"making perfection more perfect"

I for one am hoping Pulser has the time and the enthusiasm to do to ICS what he did to GB in the first-place. Which was the reason why VR3 became the ROM of choice on SGS2

norpan111

Mar 28, 2010
Halmstad
surely this sort of thing is exactly what Villian ROM does - takes the stock and makes it better

I for one am hoping Pulser has the time and the enthusiasm to do to ICS what he did to GB in the first-place. Which was the reason why VR3 became the ROM of choice on SGS2

Pretty much this :)

Karpfenhai

Nov 25, 2011
Leipzig
ICS has reached my phone.. and here are my first Impressions ;)

LPQ seems to be stable... at least ....

.... as you don't try to influe the kernel, SetCPU will not work at all!

General behavior:

- Overall smoothness, nothing to complain so far, scrolling might lag a bit but its usable
- Gallery, works like a charm, much faster as has ever been on GB!
- Camera, no Issues, Video recording works fine, (Seems to be the same apk as on GB) Maybe the "low-power-hack" will work?
- One good thing, the app Drawer (not homescreens) will finally store the sort order even after a reboot, this is an real advantage!
- Bluetooth file transfer from PC works way better as on GB , it seems they managed to implement Obex / Object push in a better manner.
- Face unlock works pretty good but for me its useless ;) Just my opinion.

Migration from GB:

I did a wipe, Titanium Backup gave me back almost everything except my stored Wlan access points. If you freeze all Bloatware the standby drain is pretty good, Deep Sleep 94% with K9 push activated (one account). If you use the phone, it stuck the most time at 800 mhz, on GB i managed the same with 200 mhz, to be improved..
What can be wiped / frozen ? See screenshots below.

Issues:

- Bluetooth pairing with my car fails, even after unpairing the hands-free car kit manually, i will test whether wiping bluetooth data will fix this and report back.

Edit: Car connection works fine, it was simply my fault, no Bluetooth issue at all! (confirmed)

- Flashplayer in fullscreen stucks, i read before, uninstalling -> reboot -> reinstall will fix it,
EDIT: No fix on that, maybo other Browsers, (Chrome) will check that..
- A funny Issue, MTP and PTP are mixed up, MTP checked means the Cam is working PTP works as mass storage device ;)

Installation issues:

It seems the sdcard integration is not fully working yet, therefore it might be impossible to install apps from local storage.

Here is the solution:
Umount your SDcard if you try to install unsigned (not from market) apps, then it will work! Same for restoring apps via TB which have been installed on external SD on GB, theres a simple trick wich works like a charm (see screenshot at the bottom)!

Battery Drainers:

- Audioout_1 wakelock still persists, even after disabling Haptic feed back sounds.
- multidpd Wakelock high count on 3G EDIT: Seems to be gone, maybe i was in a bad network area at this time.

Conclusion:

We urgently need a custom kernel.
Siyah alpha 6 works flawless and brings touch recovery to the phone, Nandroid Backups are working as expected. LCD Density change has no effect (except keyboard looks weird)

@ Pulser and Entrophy, maybe this helps for a decision, if you need skilled testers for VR 4.0, don't hesitate to ask me, im willing to support your development if i can!

PS: Please kindly ignore the wrong Capital letters everywhere, im a German, we use much more Capitals as you Guys ;)

Titanium Settings SD to Phone restore:

screenshot2012031409484.png

Apps to be dismissed:

screenshot2012031409494.png

screenshot2012031409493.png

screenshot2012031409492.png

screenshot2012031409492.png

screenshot2012031409490.png

Legal Information:

screenshot2012031409500.png

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Karpfenhai said:
ICS has reached my phone.. and here are my first Impressions ;)

LPQ seems to be stable... at least ....

.... as you don't try to influe the kernel, SetCPU will not work at all!

General behavior:

- Overall smoothness, nothing to complain so far, scrolling might lag a bit but its usable
- Gallery, works like a charm, much faster as has ever been on GB!
- Camera, no Issues, Video recording works fine, (Seems to be the same apk as on GB) Maybe the "low-power-hack" will work?
- One good thing, the app Drawer (not homescreens) will finally store the sort order even after a reboot, this is an real advantage!
- Bluetooth file transfer from PC works way better as on GB , it seems they managed to implement Obex / Object push in a better manner.
- Face unlock works pretty good but for me its useless ;) Just my opinion.

Migration from GB:

I did a wipe, Titanium Backup gave me back almost everything except my stored Wlan access points. If you freeze all Bloatware the standby drain is pretty good, Deep Sleep 94% with K9 push activated (one account). If you use the phone, it stuck the most time at 800 mhz, on GB i managed the same with 200 mhz, to be improved..
What can be wiped / frozen ? See screenshots below.

Issues:

- Bluetooth pairing with my car fails, even after unpairing the hands-free car kit manually, i will test whether wiping bluetooth data will fix this and report back.
Edit: Car connection works fine, it was simply my fault, no Bluetooth issue at all! (confirmed)

- Flashplayer in fullscreen stucks, i read before, uninstalling -> reboot -> reinstall will fix it, (tbc)
- A funny Issue, MTP and PTP are mixed up, MTP checked means the Cam is working PTP works as mass storage device ;)

Installation issues:

It seems the sdcard integration is not fully working yet, therefore it might be impossible to install apps from local storage.

Here is the solution:
Umount your SDcard if you try to install unsigned (not from market) apps, then it will work! Same for restoring apps via TB which have been installed on external SD on GB, theres a simple trick wich works like a charm (see screenshot at the bottom)!

Battery Drainers:

- Audioout_1 wakelock still persists, even after disabling Haptic feed back sounds.
- multidpd Wakelock high count on 3G

Conclusion:

We urgently need a custom kernel.
Siyah alpha 6 works flawless and brings touch recovery to the phone, Nandroid Backups are working as expected. LCD Density change has no effect (except keyboard looks weird)

@ Pulser and Entrophy, maybe this helps for a decision, if you need skilled testers for VR 4.0, don't hesitate to ask me, im willing to support your development if i can!

PS: Please kindly ignore the wrong Capital letters everywhere, im a German, we use much more Capitals as you Guys ;)

Titanium Settings SD to Phone restore:

Apps to be dismissed:

Legal Information:

I quite like the German way of capitalising nouns! It's quite sensible actually - it helped me when I learned German a few years ago, as it reminds me what is the noun!

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
frottage said:

I'm not going lie, my enthusiasm has waned recently, for a few reasons... Samsung did an outstanding job on some of the earlier GB roms, but I feel they have lost their way recently...

I will release VR4, and I will probably release VR3.5. I make no promises of when, but they will stick to the true spirit of what this is all about...

I suspect my interest will restore once the development begins to stagnate as "devs" and "chefs" move onto their next device...

Some of the best development happens when devices are not as popular! Unfortunately people keep devices for such little time that it spoils the fun... Likewise for people who release one rom for a device, then beg for cash before rushing to a new device to try it again... :p

Even though I don't post often, I am still around and interested... But as before, unless it passes my stringent test of "do I use this rom constantly for at least 48 hours?", it won't be released...

And right now I've been testing out CM9 on occasion. It's possible that the future lies away from stock bases, especially after seeing some things they're working on behind the scenes... ICS is nice, but I think still that touchwiz lets it down!

That's the situation right now, but I've got so much happening that I don't see any reason to rush into this yet... Something just doesn't feel right about using this base...

norpan111

Mar 28, 2010
Halmstad
I'm not going lie, my enthusiasm has waned recently, for a few reasons... Samsung did an outstanding job on some of the earlier GB roms, but I feel they have lost their way recently...

I will release VR4, and I will probably release VR3.5. I make no promises of when, but they will stick to the true spirit of what this is all about...

I suspect my interest will restore once the development begins to stagnate as "devs" and "chefs" move onto their next device...

Some of the best development happens when devices are not as popular! Unfortunately people keep devices for such little time that it spoils the fun... Likewise for people who release one rom for a device, then beg for cash before rushing to a new device to try it again... :p

Even though I don't post often, I am still around and interested... But as before, unless it passes my stringent test of "do I use this rom constantly for at least 48 hours?", it won't be released...

And right now I've been testing out CM9 on occasion. It's possible that the future lies away from stock bases, especially after seeing some things they're working on behind the scenes... ICS is nice, but I think still that touchwiz lets it down!

That's the situation right now, but I've got so much happening that I don't see any reason to rush into this yet... Something just doesn't feel right about using this base...

Whats your next phone?

12aon

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 24, 2008
Oi P! It's ICS quick, rip out the touchwiz! :p

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

AvRS

Dec 21, 2009
You should definitely go down AOSP route as you say Samsung are ruining the ICS experience. I've moved to AOSP and have no intention of going back and would be good to have another decent dev (read not kang artist) onboard the AOSP train ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

frottage

Aug 27, 2007

Whilst I completely understand your sentiments Pulser and I know this is hell of an intrusion into your life, however, despite being very happy with VR3, I'm too curious about all the ICS fuss. I need to try a few out for myself.

If I nandroid backup my VR3 install will I be enable to install CWM on an ICS build and come back if I dont like it? Also can anyone recommend a sensible ROM to move to? CM9?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Whilst I completely understand your sentiments Pulser and I know this is hell of an intrusion into your life, however, despite being very happy with VR3, I'm too curious about all the ICS fuss. I need to try a few out for myself.

If I nandroid backup my VR3 install will I be enable to install CWM on an ICS build and come back if I dont like it? Also can anyone recommend a sensible ROM to move to? CM9?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Yes, you can try the ICS build easily from something like Mobile ODIN. Flash the KPQ CF-Root, and if you need to get back, you have CWM anyway :)

Failing that, you can try CM9. It's good now :)

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Yes, you can try the ICS build easily from something like Mobile ODIN. Flash the KPQ CF-Root, and if you need to get back, you have CWM anyway :)

Failing that, you can try CM9. It's good now :)

If you want to deodex and debloat - while my guide is written for Gingerbread and the I777, it will work for I9100 too, you just need to skip some steps - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1505685

(The above link is for other users, not Pulser. Pulser already knows far more than this. :p )

Main thing with deodexing ICS is you need to manually set the API level to 15 - it is not automatic.

Reactions: frottage and stylez

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
If you want to deodex and debloat - while my guide is written for Gingerbread and the I777, it will work for I9100 too, you just need to skip some steps - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1505685

(The above link is for other users, not Pulser. Pulser already knows far more than this. :p )

Main thing with deodexing ICS is you need to manually set the API level to 15 - it is not automatic.

Nice advice actually :) People can try it themselves too now!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vr_forum_logo.png

VillainROM 3.0 for Samsung Galaxy S 2

So that old thread was long... Very long... It had good memories, but it's time to move on to a new thread, as 10k posts is just too much, and there are some more changes this time round. First off, it's as usual, a CWM flashable zip file. But, in a slight change of direction in light of Ninpo and Netarchy's Ninphetamine kernel being more complete, version 2.0.5 is now included. That is newer than the version released in the thread, but it will be updated in due course.

So for now, here's what's new in Version 3.0

- Fully deodexed
    - Introduction of Ninphetamine kernel into the ROM (version 2.0.5 with BLN etc) - Note that BLN doesn't work with the stock SMS app, but Handcent is fine. I will look at ways to trigger BLN from the Messaging app later
    - Install the BLN app from the market to use this
    - Removal of Diginotar root certificates from the trusted store, given they are about as secure as a paper bank vault.
    - All the usual stuff, although VRTweaks will be added from scratch again, since this seems a newer and better base.
    - Re-addition of SIP since Samsung thinks you should be deprived of it.

Additionally, this is a way to try out the official KI3 ROM, without the bootloader being touched, thus allowing the USB jig to continue to working. To re-iterate, VR never flashes radios or bootloaders, so is safe. Stock ROMs, and other custom ROMs which are ODIN flashed, or indeed ZIPs, can and do sometimes flash these things without telling you. Just be aware - Samsung knows about the USB jig resetting the counter, and is on it...

Install procedure, and other details to come in following posts.

Contributing VRTweaks to VillainROM

Iff you want your tweak in VillainTweaks (with full credits etc) then please PM LennyUK with a description, screenshot if you have one to hand and a direct link (xda attachment, dropbox or your own server) No file hosts please.

We will add them to VRTweaks, so users can install them without having to download files to their phone. Likewise, if users find nice tweaks, let Lenny know :)
    VillainROM Installation Instructions

To follow these instructions we presume you already have access to Clockworkmod recovery, and are able to put the zip file onto the SD card, and flash it.

If you are coming from a ROM other than VillainROM 1.2 or above, then you should carry out a full wipe. In fact, you should be carrying out a full wipe anyway, but it's not strictly 100% necessary if you are just coming from the previous version.

Coming from Another ROM

Ensure CWM recovery is available, do a CWM/nandroid backup and titanium backup, and put the zip onto the root of the internal SD.
    Enter CWM, carry out a factory reset, and cache wipe, and flash the ROM via "Install zip from SD" option.
    Reboot the phone into VillainROM, bearing in mind the first boot may take some time on the boot animation.

To use BLN

Ensure you are using the included Ninphetamine kernel, and install this app from the market (free, paid version with more features available)
    IF YOU THINK THE ROM ISN'T ROOTED, INSTALL SUPERUSER FROM THE MARKET. IF YOU WANT CWM APP, GET IT FROM THE ATTACHMENTS LIST

Complete list of Attachments to this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=1198334
    Super happy fun times

OK, so I think it's time to explain what this is about. It's born from the idea that came about on IRC, for a way to make a theme once for a ROM, rather than have to adjust it for each incremental update for a given ROM or ROMs.

As a user, you don't need to know much - just flash this zip like a regular zip, and you'll get your theme running. But you should be able to apply themes to any device, ROM, and version of the ROM, without it causing adverse effects. That means less time spent by themers making the original theme, and less time spent modifying it constantly for new versions of ROMs.

As a themer? Well, here is the information:

• Inside the zip, in the vrtheme folder, you can create a folder called "system" and "data". The former is required, the latter is not required unless you wanted to theme a data app (strongly not recommended, unless you know the app will be there on every phone)
    • Inside the system or data folder, create a subfolder "app", and in these, make subfolders named EXACTLY after the APK name. For example, to theme the Browser, you need a folder called "Browser.apk". It must be correctly capitalised.
    • Within there, place the files you require for your theme, in the relevant locations. So most PNGs will be in res/drawable-hdpi/. You can put in xml files too (those which are not in resources.arsc), if you compile them via apktool, and extract them with a zip tool.
    • In the vrtheme folder, as well as system and data folder, one called "raw" can exist. Within here, you can place files to be copied verbatim to the ROM (for example, modified JAR files). Note that using this may make the theme device dependent (read WILL make it device dependent)
    • And that's about it. :)

Features
    • Will modify APKs in a ROM, without changing signatures, and can be used on any ROM where the filenames of themed files is the same.
    • Should not need updated between versions of a ROM
    • Zipaligns all APKs before installation
    • Stores a backup of all files being modified in /cache/vrtheme-backup/
    • Requires no coding abilities or editing of files - just drag and drop :)
    • Can copy "raw" files, though at risk of not working on other devices (well, let's face it, it won't work on likely a slightly different ROM, so this feature is not recommended or encouraged)

Credits

Doctorcete for the original idea in a discussion on IRC
    Stericson for the original idea of metamorph. While totally different, it's a shared goal to separate themes from ROMs
    Matt from the Metamorph team, for the zip binary compiled for Android
    Seshy, for testing

EULA

Nothing evil or complicated - just a few little things. You should not charge for access to this code. That includes a zip containing this, or a derivative of it. So please don't sell themes using it. That's not particularly cool. If you want to use it commercially for some reason, get in touch with us.

If you spot a bug or error, and find a fix, please reply in this thread and let us know, or post the changes you made. If you're going to distribute the changed version, it is expected that you share the change made by contacting us, or posting it here.

Finally, don't be a douche - don't rip this off or call it your own, and leave all headers and comments identifying the origin of the code in place. Don't rename this to match your ROM or "team" name - it's not cool, and it's not yours to go and adjust. I chose to make this a readable "plain" script, but can easily obfuscate and encrypt it if you want to be a douche.

Copyright VillainROM (2011). All rights reserved

The actual download is on the way :)