Search This thread

reid-o

Dec 12, 2005
There's a small gap at the bottom
IMG_0109.jpg

The covers side by side:
IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

It's charging right now, and so I don't have performance data.

I do see how the cover may come off if dropped, but the fit and finish are not TOO bad.
I like the back finish.
It's textured and very grippy.

Moximos

Feb 17, 2010
My first charge only lasted around the same usage as my stock battery - there's a warning that you need to charge it ~5 times before it reaches capacity so fingers crossed.

reid-o

Dec 12, 2005
I agree that not having some sort of plastic over the camera lens is bad.
I didn't understand what you meant till now.

it's actually really dumb

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
I fattened up my G1 almost instantly because it didn't have the sleek look that the N1 has. I worry that the beauty of the device will be taken away using this battery. However, I am the type of person that goes for function over form 100% of the time. This type of dilemma is a first for me. I'm very torn since I love the look of the N1. I used this battery for my G1 and LOVED every second I had it. It was the single best accessory I've ever had for a phone. My G1 lasted over 20 hours with ultra-heavy use. I'm a seriously heavy user using two full charges a day (my phone never leaves my hand from the minute I wake up until I fall asleep reading on it). I'm pretty sure I will get an extended battery but I may want a cheap replacement. I really wish the back for this was nicer though. I'll wait a bit more (if I don't end up buying it now :D).

By any chance, does anyone who has this battery happen to still have a G1 to compare the two side by side so I can gauge the thickness?

JustinLoe

May 3, 2009
if you're feeling a little crafty... it shouldn't be too hard at all to glue or somehow adhese (what the ****?) a lens over the two dummy holes.

though mine hasn't arrived yet, so my craftiness is only a myth. let's conjure up something eh boys? ya!

dahui9

Jun 14, 2007
Cocoa/Tressure Coast
I want it but I just put my BSE on and it looks sooooo good and I would have to make up something for this maybe hack away at the ulgy as much as I could and revamp it. I need functionality but love this bueuty of a phone!

-Charlie

reid-o

Dec 12, 2005
Initial impressions:
I haven't had a chance to get the full 5 recharge cycles, but whereas before I was floating along at 20% by the end of the day, I'm now at 50%, so it seems to be working.
I really really like the back. The added heft comes as a blessing in disguise.
It's now fat enough such that I no longer rub my palm onto the screen while tryig to cup the device. Before, with just the bare naked device and NO case, I would always double touch the screen by accident. Now that's just not possible. The form factor is actually very very nice. From a distance it looks like a normal form factor.

But I don't like the edges and how it fits at the bottom, and the fact that the camera holes have no cover is dumb, as I said in an earlier post. I also don't like how I don't have case for it.
But all in all, I'm not unhappy with it. I'm not sure if I'll roll like this every day, however.

I'll try to post more usage times as the days roll on. But as an extended battery solution, I think it's a lot more elegant than the bulging backs that other battery manufacturers try to tack on. The device is still easy to hold and the ergonomics and function I think are A+.

The craftsmanship, which includes stuff like the space at the bottom, and the way my power button is now a TEEENY bit shrouded, is a B-.

Moximos

Feb 17, 2010
Good point about the ergonomics, I think I was getting used to it (plus I'm usually using the Innocase which avoids the problem).

I'm only on my second charge (it's my backup battery rather than my primary) so can't tell whether it's lasting longer yet.

I'm inclined to prefer a battery built into the equivalent of the Innocase then I wouldn't have to take it off to swap batteries and case protection built in.

HighTech216

Nov 23, 2009
Ohio
if only it still fit in the desktop dock...

That's the deal breaker for me. However, this looks great compared to previous retrofits.

I honestly can't complain about the battery life on my nexus one. Overall I've been really impressed, I figured the new snapdragon would kill the little battery. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

a1t

Nov 9, 2008
Denver
Great find. Thanks for posting the URL. Has anyone tried the sd to micro sd option?

Last edited:

Bill Idol

Aug 4, 2007
San Francisco
2800mAh power for n1

my n1 has the big battery for it but it's not as big as the g1 extended battery. It's pretty nice and the back part is flushed with the speaker so you don't lose any volume into the hollow case. When I had my g1 fatty I was pretty pleased with it because I never had to charge all the time, cuz we all know that the g1 stock battery suuuuuucks!!!!!
N1's stock battery has more juice at 1400mAh, more than g1's 1100mAh. So why settle for 1400 when you can double the power to 2800mAh's of strength, this is more than the g1's extended battery of 2600mAh. Seidioonline.com has both these batteris plus some nice cases and holsters if your just looking for something to protect that pretty penny of a cell phone.
I hope this helps and let me tell you that I never regreted getting an extended battery for g1(retired) and now my n1. Peace out.

nmeofdst8

Jan 31, 2010
Got the battery 2 days ago (seido is fast as hell, got it to Afghanistan via military service in 7 days I was shocked).

I needed a lot of extra juice because i'm away from a power source for extended periods. Doing quite a bit of wifi, bright screen on looking and messing with stuff, several calls, 20 texts, and playing music for about 5 hours total into non-powered (phone powered basically) round desktop speakers I am at 40% after 36.5 hours. I'm pretty damn impressed. That is after charging 1 time for about 10 hours out of the box. Will let you know after 5 charges.

I personally don't mind the little bit of extra size. I bought a 10 buck generic arm holder from one of the afghan stores on the post here and it used to fit nice..snug as crap now, but no biggie. Worked out with it yesterday, ran and lifted and didn't feel any heavier than normal...weight difference is minimal.

I'd say "works as intended" if you need it. Would recommend it.

eabinsan

Sep 24, 2009
got mine today.

tough choice - i think the original form factor is too thin to hold the phone with any kind of comfort. the added 6mm otoh are just a bit too much. i may eventually get used to it, but i think 2 mm less would be perfect for me.

so how about a 2400 mAh battery then? :)

jhax01

Jan 16, 2010
Just received mine and have rode it hard. 24 hrs on the first charge with 22% left. Brightness set to max, wi-fi, GPS, and sync on. I made around 2.5 hrs of calls, about 4 hrs of web surfing via wi-fi and 3G, ~50 texts, syncing 3 push email accts and 2 scheduled with updates every 15 minutes, live wallpaper, and twitter and facebook clients running in the background. It had about an 8-hour cell/wi-fi reprieve on my flight to France, but I used it for about 6 hrs watching video and listening to music in airplane mode.

So far, I'd have to say it's worth it if you don't care about the looks. Functionally, it occupies about the same volume as my work Blackberry. The bb is slightly thinner, but significantly wider. I would buy a factory phone from HTC this size if it had a battery this big. Everything keeps getting Zoolander-ish, but to me, a little heft and size makes it more comfortable to use. I came from the iPhone 3gs with the incase extended battery -- the nexus/seidio combo is much smaller. So I guess if I could tolerate the former, the latter is no big deal.

reid-o

Dec 12, 2005
Just received mine and have rode it hard. 24 hrs on the first charge with 22% left. Brightness set to max, wi-fi, GPS, and sync on. I made around 2.5 hrs of calls, about 4 hrs of web surfing via wi-fi and 3G, ~50 texts, syncing 3 push email accts and 2 scheduled with updates every 15 minutes, live wallpaper, and twitter and facebook clients running in the background. It had about an 8-hour cell/wi-fi reprieve on my flight to France, but I used it for about 6 hrs watching video and listening to music in airplane mode.

So far, I'd have to say it's worth it if you don't care about the looks. Functionally, it occupies about the same volume as my work Blackberry. The bb is slightly thinner, but significantly wider. I would buy a factory phone from HTC this size if it had a battery this big. Everything keeps getting Zoolander-ish, but to me, a little heft and size makes it more comfortable to use. I came from the iPhone 3gs with the incase extended battery -- the nexus/seidio combo is much smaller. So I guess if I could tolerate the former, the latter is no big deal.

I agree that the width adds to the ergonomics.
I definitely don't like some of the details: my power button is becoming a bit more shrouded and the fitment at the bottom is awkward.

But functionally I think it works well.
As for cutting off a few MM, the other poster may be right. I think it could be a "little" thinner, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

I just wish they'd have designed a case around this, sort of like Mophie' solution for the Iphone.

SBS_

Jul 13, 2007
Bergen
Looks like people are resonably happy with the 2800mAh battery so I just went ahead and ordered one from seidio. And since I was getting something shipped around half the world I went ahead and bought the 1600mAh one as well :D

Pretty sure I'll use the 1600mAh battery for day to day use and the 2800mAh one for long flights, hikes and generally when I'm away from a charger for a long time. As people have stated it looks pretty good for a retrofit as well.

At the very least it doesn't hurt having a spare battery (or two).