2A charger vs included 1A?

Search This thread

mettleh3d

Oct 16, 2011
Hey all, question here about chargers.

I have 3 chargers at my disposal, a Samsung travel charger @0.7A, included charger block @ 1.0A, and my HP Touchpad block @ 2.0A.

The touchpad charger charges from empty to full in 3h15m, uninterrupted. Not blindingly fast, but good.

The included one takes around 4+ hours.

The travel one is so slow, check out the screenshot below, over 5 hours and at 94% only.

Question is, is there any detriment to using the non standard included charging brick or can I use the higher amperage charger safely?

Thanks

d03604d9-93bd-c8a6.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

}{Alienz}{

Jul 22, 2010
Colorado
OnePlus 9 Pro
Actually guys, there are drawbacks to using higher amperage.

The standard charger of 1.0 amps was bundled with the battery because it was engineered that this combination would yield around 300 charging cycles before the battery starts losing it's efficiency.

The faster (higher amps) a charger you use the faster your phone will charge. However, fast charging cycles negatively affect the longevity of the battery. Fast charging cycles also will severely increase the charging temperature of the phone and its battery and depending on how high it gets, it may be detrimental to the phone or battery. The higher amps the charger is, the quicker the battery will start being less efficient. Put in other words, if you use a 2 amp charger every day, the battery may only last 200 charging cycles before you start noticing that your battery is getting weak.

Conversely, if you use a lower-specced charger than the 1.0 Amps Samsung provided, your battery longevity may improve. I do not have numbers exactly but if you are interested, go read on the subject. My guess is if you use the 0.7 amp charger, you may be able to successfully get 320 or 330 charge cycles out of your battery. Again, don't quote me on these numbers.

I'd suggest for every-day usage you continue using your 1.0 Amp charger that Samsung provided. For travel or on the spot (when you quickly need battery juice) feel free to use the 2.0 amp charger. As long as you don't use the 2.0 charger every day, you are fine. Every now and then is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:

Branso07

Nov 19, 2011
San Diego
Technically phones have regulators that only allow an amount of amps to be charged with. But I would only charge with the Samsung included one. Like I tried to use Apples charger block but it somehow charged my phone slower

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
yup, i can confirm from experience from my previous phones

it's mostly the heat that damages the battery, it doesn't really affect the phone itself

The faster (higher amps) a charger you use the faster your phone will charge. However, fast charging cycles negatively affect the longevity of the battery. Fast charging cycles also will severely increase the charging temperature of the phone and its battery and depending on how high it gets, it may be detrimental to the phone or battery. The higher amps the charger is, the quicker the battery will start being less efficient. Put in other words, if you use a 2 amp charger every day, the battery may only last 200 charging cycles before you start noticing that your battery is getting weak.

Reactions: Gawis

madman604

Jul 14, 2007
IMO my time is worth more than a few extra cycles of a battery. Just pick up a few extra ones. Not like the OEM will last forever if you trickle .001 A into it every time.

Reactions: aalsmadi1

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
+1

IMO my time is worth more than a few extra cycles of a battery. Just pick up a few extra ones. Not like the OEM will last forever if you trickle .001 A into it every time.

i carry always a spare pack with me

and an extra one is always ready in the office, and another at home, and one more in the car, i keep swapping the car one more often just because it's winter and it's also the one that will get charged the least if i leave it in the glove box :p

mettleh3d

Oct 16, 2011
i carry always a spare pack with me

and an extra one is always ready in the office, and another at home, and one more in the car, i keep swapping the car one more often just because it's winter and it's also the one that will get charged the least if i leave it in the glove box :p

That thing you said about heat...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

longfuzzy

Jan 18, 2011
First a little ohms law: I = V / R. Amps(I) = Volts(V) divided by Resistance(R)

The phone charger probably puts out 5 Volts (mine does). The resistance is determined by the phone. So the charge current is not going to change just because you have a 2amp charger vs a 1amp charger. The only way to force more amps into the phone is to increase the voltage of the charger. For example say the phone resistance is 5 ohms, then the charger will put out 1 amp (5V/5R). To charge at 2 amps, you would need to up the voltage to 10 volts. DO NOT DO THAT! YOU WILL DISTROY THE PHONE!

It is also probable that the phone has an internal charging circuit to control the actual current to the battery, so that if you leave the charger plugged into the phone, the battery does not overcharge. That circuit is going to cut off the voltage to the battery when is senses the battery is fully charged.

If the phone is trying to pull more amps then the charger can provide, the charger will be getting quite hot. As long as the charger is not hot, then it is providing enough current for the phone to charge properly.

Reactions: Nugenrules

mettleh3d

Oct 16, 2011
While your logic is sound, the HP touchpad charger definitely charges the device faster than the included brick.

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
The phones internal charging circuit will only draw as many milliamps as its designed for.

If its designed to only draw 750mA because thats all the circuit is designed to draw max on A/C then thats all it will draw off the 2000mA adapter.

The speedier charging is a placebo effect.

Just because a power source can supply it does not mean the device will use it all.

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario

A faster charge off the OEM adapter that outputs 750mA as opposed to a usb port that outputs 450-500mA max is not new news or surprising and makes total sense ;)

This also does not negate my statement of the device will only charge as fast as the circuit allows it to. so if its designed for 750mA max, charging from a 2000mA charger will yield the same charge in the same amount of time but with a placebo effect, because users think bigger must mean faster, with out taking into account the basics of charging circuit mechanics and basic properties of electricity and current.

Your phone will only draw as much current as it needs to charge the battery, and if the circuit only needs 750mA, it is not designed to work with any more, then thats all it will pull, always. No exceptions.

mettleh3d

Oct 16, 2011
I can test with all 3 chargers and post my results.

They will be from 0% to 100% no breaks, on airplane mode, and i wont touch the device other than to monitor progress now and again; probably overnight. battery indicator pro shows what time i plugged in and what time it reached 100%, i'll take screenshots throughout.

While I don't refute the circuitry inside and the rules they obey (im an MAE from UCLA), i really want to show that charging time is decreased with the 2A.

longfuzzy

Jan 18, 2011
I can think of a couple of reasons it might charge slower with the 1amp charger.

1. The phone will pull more than 1amp when charging. I doubt that it does. I think the nominal charge rate is somewhere around 750mA.

2. The 1amp charger is defective. Maybe it only puts out 500mA. These little chargers are pretty realiable, but out of the millions they make, a few defective ones may get out.

3. The phone was not in the same state when you did the tests. For example, if you are overclocking, maybe you had different clock rates or governer selected. Or maybe there are some background apps, waking up, and slowing the charging time.

4. You are mistaken about how long it takes to charge. :D

-LF

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Actually guys, there are drawbacks to using higher amperage.

The standard charger of 1.0 amps was bundled with the battery because it was engineered that this combination would yield around 300 charging cycles before the battery starts losing it's efficiency.

Conversely, if you use a lower-specced charger than the 1.0 Amps Samsung provided, your battery longevity may improve. I do not have numbers exactly but if you are interested, go read on the subject. My guess is if you use the 0.7 amp charger, you may be able to successfully get 320 or 330 charge cycles out of your battery. Again, don't quote me on these numbers.

I'd suggest for every-day usage you continue using your 1.0 Amp charger that Samsung provided. For travel or on the spot (when you quickly need battery juice) feel free to use the 2.0 amp charger. As long as you don't use the 2.0 charger every day, you are fine. Every now and then is perfectly acceptable.
    yup, i can confirm from experience from my previous phones

it's mostly the heat that damages the battery, it doesn't really affect the phone itself

First a little ohms law: I = V / R. Amps(I) = Volts(V) divided by Resistance(R)

The phone charger probably puts out 5 Volts (mine does). The resistance is determined by the phone. So the charge current is not going to change just because you have a 2amp charger vs a 1amp charger. The only way to force more amps into the phone is to increase the voltage of the charger. For example say the phone resistance is 5 ohms, then the charger will put out 1 amp (5V/5R). To charge at 2 amps, you would need to up the voltage to 10 volts. DO NOT DO THAT! YOU WILL DISTROY THE PHONE!

It is also probable that the phone has an internal charging circuit to control the actual current to the battery, so that if you leave the charger plugged into the phone, the battery does not overcharge. That circuit is going to cut off the voltage to the battery when is senses the battery is fully charged.

If the phone is trying to pull more amps then the charger can provide, the charger will be getting quite hot. As long as the charger is not hot, then it is providing enough current for the phone to charge properly.
    The phones internal charging circuit will only draw as many milliamps as its designed for.

If its designed to only draw 750mA because thats all the circuit is designed to draw max on A/C then thats all it will draw off the 2000mA adapter.

The speedier charging is a placebo effect.

Just because a power source can supply it does not mean the device will use it all.