2GB MiniSD Card issues

Search This thread
Hi, I recently bought a 2GB MiniSD card for my Treo750v. When I put it into the system it worked fine, I installed some programs and put some music on. Then I left the phone alone for a while and the automatic keylock came on. When I returned to the phone and activated it from keylock the sound that is played when removing the card was heard and it reported that there was no card installed when there clearly was. To return the card to working order i had to remove and re-insert it. After that it was fine until keylock came back on and the same thing happened again!

Anyone got any ideas on why this is doing what it is doing!

Point to note, the card works perfectly in an HP device running WM5 and my Digital Camera!

Jim Ill

Feb 25, 2004
Bristol
I am starting to think this is a "problem" with the Treo because mine does the same with a 512mb card. Sometimes it wont be "seen" by the PDA but not a problem when put in my other pda.......

Jim

Last edited:

magxs

Jan 13, 2005
Dubai
I get the same thing, also with a 2 gig card. But it happens only every other day or so. Still very annoying. Have no clue why this is happening.

durian

Mar 11, 2006
Hiroshima
I had the same trouble, too. But the trouble has already disappeared by replacement of 2GB mini SD to 1GB mini SD.
Remainning problem is that Spb pocket plus still cannot get application icons on storage card.

magxs

Jan 13, 2005
Dubai
Went to a Vodafone store today and told them about the issue. They said it is a known issue and was a problem on a couple devices. They said if I would bring the box and invoice, they would exchange the device. Will do that in the next few days. Hope that solves it.

terryrocks

Oct 19, 2006
I have the same problem with my 512mb card and my 2Gig card. But I am in the U.S. and cant bring it in to Vodafone. Does anyone know what else can be done?

jonolim

Dec 30, 2005
I should've did some homework and checked this forum before jumping on my 2GB which I bought 3 days ago. 'doh... I have the same issue here... except in the midst of playing with it, inserting and removing etc... all the data got corrupted. I have to figure out how to reformat the whole card.

Hopefully, there's a software fix later.

fredkf

Nov 22, 2006
London
I've also been having problems with my Treo 750v and the miniSD card (2GB SanDisk Ultra II).

When I insert the card, the Treo sees it and can run programs that are installed on it. When I return the Treo after it has been off for a while the card is no longer recognised and the memory manager claims that no storage card is installed. At this point all I can do is either take the card out and reinsert it, or otherwise to a soft reset. The time it takes for the Treo to loose its connection to the card varies; sometimes I can turn it on after a few minutes and the card is gone, sometimes it still works after a couple of hours.

When I came across this discussion yesterday, I phoned up Vodafone and reported my issue. According to the customer service rep, this is not on their list of known issues but he agreed to an exchange anyway. I'll get the new device today. I hope that'll fix it, but by now have my doubts.

Someone else suggested formatting the SD card, citing issues with FAT16 vs FAT32. I might try that if the new Treo still suffers the same issue.

In another thread on this topic, someone reported that such an issue was observed on some other PPC device and was fixed by a ROM upgrade. I emailed Palm about it. Palm eventually got back to me today saying:

This may occur only with cards that are not Palm branded. If possible please try to use a Palm card to test it.

Either that's a lame excuse, or they're trying to force people into buying their overpriced own branded accessories by making their hardware incompatible with the industry standard. Unless SanDisk don't know how to make miniSD cards...

I guess my next step - after the reformatting - will be to throw £60 at a Palm branded storage card; I don't expect that would work any better than my current card, but at least then Palm can't argue that I'm using "unsupported hardware".

magxs

Jan 13, 2005
Dubai
I exchanged my Treo yesterday at a different Vodafone store. The people there didn't know anything about SD card issues either, but they exchanged it anyway. Have been running the new device for about 24 hrs now and no issues, yet. But even on the first device, the problems only started later and even then it wasn't an everyday occurrence. So, I will need to watch it a bit longer.

magxs

Jan 13, 2005
Dubai
After two full days with my new Treo, the SD card was lost again over night. So, it doesn't seem to be an issue that just a few devices were affected by. Too bad....

I didn't try any other ROMs yet.

promexx

Nov 25, 2006
hi,

i am new to this board and hope you dont mind my bad english. i am from germany and proud owner of a treo 750v :)

and i tell you what: i am so glad i am not alone with the storage card problem.

it was nearly making me mad.

now i know that there are a lot of other people with the same problem. that may not solve it but gives me a better feeling an hope for an update which solves that.

PS: i use a 1gb sandisk

Well It's working

:) I bought another MiniSD card the other day, a 512Mb Kingston one, and so far so good, it works well (about 5 days now) and has not been "lost" so far! Not sure if it's the size of card or the make or what but I will keep investigating this!

Hope you resolve your issues!!

A

magxs

Jan 13, 2005
Dubai
What kind of card did you have issues with?

I get the feeling the this might be related to specific cards. To find out: please everybody state which card you are using and if you have problems.

I'm using Sandisk Ultra II 2GB and it's dropping out.

Thanks

promexx

Nov 25, 2006
What kind of card did you have issues with?

I get the feeling the this might be related to specific cards. To find out: please everybody state which card you are using and if you have problems.

I'm using Sandisk Ultra II 2GB and it's dropping out.

Thanks

i am using sandisc (normal) 1 gb and have the problems.

Card Type

Mine was a generic 2GB card bought on EBAY :p but the one that is working now is a Kingston 512MB card. The Generic 2GB works perfectly in my Digital camera. There are no Identifying marks on the 2GB card sadly so Cannot say for sure who makes it!

magxs

Jan 13, 2005
Dubai
Sounds like SanDisk is the one to blame.

But would be good to have more reports before we all go out buying new cards. Keep em coming...