3.1 update pulled mid release? -That's what Acer Support says. "New Build Tomorrow"

Search This thread

monsieurtalbot

Aug 8, 2010
West Palm Beach
www.facebook.com
3.1 update pulled mid release? -That's what Acer Support says. "New Build Tomorrow"

So earlier today, I finally received my 3.1 OTA update notification....

I wasn't ready at the time to initiate it, so I declined, unfroze my bloat apps, un rooted, and then attempted to manually check for updates.

It says my device is "Up to Date"

Obviously, I hadn't updated, and am still on 3.0.1, so I called Acer tech support.

According to representative, Acer pulled the 3.1 update mid-release today. Supposedly due to a bug causing some devices to not take the update.

"They will be re releasing a new build of 3.1 later today or tomorrow" he said.

So here I sit, on 3.0.1, and am giving the community a heads up that they might be getting yet another OTA update. MAYBE. That's at least what was understood.

Anyone else having this issue? I know they're rolling out they update gradually, but I would have figured I would have been able to manually initiate the process.

Vereynn

Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
I ended up having to download/install 4x before mine "took" yesterday, just hope they push an incremental update as well with a different build number.
One of the failures came back as an "invalid file" before it even rebooted into recovery; the other 2 fails were because I hadn't rolled back all of the system files I'd replaced.
Maybe they're fixing the "invalid file" issue?

rgouyet

Jan 17, 2007
I had the same trouble today. Yesterday evening and this morning, I was able to update to 3.1 OTA. But as i had no time to do this, I was expecting to do the update this evening.
And now, it says that my device is up to date. (3.0.1)
I will wait tomorrow.

N

nytrojen

Well that makes sense. When I was installing the update it took me 6 attempts: 4 times it just stopped downloading and restarted randomly and once it said "installation invalid" or something along those lines. Thankfully it worked in the end, although Kobo reader doesn't seem to work at all anymore. Keeps FCing

Shrike9

May 10, 2011
Thanks for the heads-up. I ran the update after I got home from work tonight. I got some sort of error, and it booted back into 3.01 just fine. I manually checked for the update again, and now I'm getting "Your device is up to date".

Fluffbutt

May 4, 2011
Morpeth
Looks like I was right in a previous post where I said it'd be best to wait for 3.1.1!

And all those fanbois attacking me over it.. LOL!!

tatoori

Nov 10, 2006
London
Weird- Mine said update was available yesterday evening and I did it and it worked (UK time). It shows as 3.1 now, but the file it downloaded was some weird file name containing 4.0.11 or soemthing similar? Must admit haven't played around thoroughly to see if there's any difference- waiting for weekend.

When they re-release do you think I'll get the 'fix' for whatever was wrong??

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
Weird- Mine said update was available yesterday evening and I did it and it worked (UK time). It shows as 3.1 now, but the file it downloaded was some weird file name containing 4.0.11 or soemthing similar? Must admit haven't played around thoroughly to see if there's any difference- waiting for weekend.

When they re-release do you think I'll get the 'fix' for whatever was wrong??

Depends entirely on what they're fixing. If it's just something to do with the updates failing, then why would they need to update devices that already have it?

tatoori

Nov 10, 2006
London
True- I thought they'd just do a blanket update for all to get all tablets with the same 'build'- easier to maintain if needed- like they do at work for IT purposes.

Also I was not rooted, not sure if that would have made a difference! (I'm a basic user but learning through xda!)

Bryan858

Jul 10, 2007
I lost my opportunity to install 4.010.08. Two days ago I got the notice of an update. I tried to hold off as I wanted to see if I could capture the update and share it with others. After I got off work the next day and with some alogcat info I tried to check for updates and it was gone. Now I'm stuck on 3. 01 still. Hopefully they push out the update again as this time ill be ready.

Sent from my SO-01B using XDA App

NeoGauge

Oct 2, 2010
Southeast Texas
Well that makes sense. When I was installing the update it took me 6 attempts: 4 times it just stopped downloading and restarted randomly and once it said "installation invalid" or something along those lines. Thankfully it worked in the end

I was using my Epic 4G wifi tether when it kept restarting. I thought it was that playing games with me.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

Zaslav

Jun 8, 2009
Toronto
I just got updated to 1.139.05 Gen 1

But still no 3.1 update what is going on? Aren't we supposed to get the update today?

andyng007

Jul 8, 2011
SF
My is 3.0.1. I run the update check and it says "your device is up to date."
Would it let you update to 3.1 if it had been rooted?

dude64

May 15, 2006
Youngstown, OH
Just chated with ACER support. Well, not exactly very knowledgeable, so I would take it with a pinch of salt. But, what I was told is the update will be pushed and can not be initiated from the user end and I should be getting it soon. Also it is Google and not Acer responsible for rolling out the update. Make of it what you will.

K

kjy2010

True- I thought they'd just do a blanket update for all to get all tablets with the same 'build'- easier to maintain if needed- like they do at work for IT purposes.

Also I was not rooted, not sure if that would have made a difference! (I'm a basic user but learning through xda!)

Well it's "today", and it's still not here lol ...anyone surprised? :eek:

K

kjy2010

Just chated with ACER support. Well, not exactly very knowledgeable, so I would take it with a pinch of salt. But, what I was told is the update will be pushed and can not be initiated from the user end and I should be getting it soon. Also it is Google and not Acer responsible for rolling out the update. Make of it what you will.

They told me the same thing in different words. "We just make the hardware, and Google is responsible for the software". Didn't expect that response! :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So earlier today, I finally received my 3.1 OTA update notification....

I wasn't ready at the time to initiate it, so I declined, unfroze my bloat apps, un rooted, and then attempted to manually check for updates.

It says my device is "Up to Date"

Obviously, I hadn't updated, and am still on 3.0.1, so I called Acer tech support.

According to representative, Acer pulled the 3.1 update mid-release today. Supposedly due to a bug causing some devices to not take the update.

"They will be re releasing a new build of 3.1 later today or tomorrow" he said.

So here I sit, on 3.0.1, and am giving the community a heads up that they might be getting yet another OTA update. MAYBE. That's at least what was understood.

Anyone else having this issue? I know they're rolling out they update gradually, but I would have figured I would have been able to manually initiate the process.
    yes, there is, see here Full 3.1 (NOT OTA)_A500_4.010.22_COM_GEN1, juste download the update.zip 385 mo, put it on the ext sd and boot with power and volume+. Simple and nothing loosed.
    ** Just in Case **

All who are wondering why the release is not available. It's because the Update breaks WiFi. Once you Update you will not be able to connect up to Wireless networks anymore. It just goes into an infinite loop when trying to connect. I spoke to a Tech 2 days ago and he said that this was indeed an issue that they are trying to resolve. So the next question is when they do get this corrected how long will it take to get the update & how will you be able to load it. They will be notifying me via E-Mail; more than likely, and I'll pass word on as soon as I know.

So just be glad you don't have the update at the moment or you'd be in the same shoes as a bunch of others who can't use their Tablets at the moment. Such as myself.