• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

.3.2.4 Rollback Images

Search This thread

davekaz

No, you must have root, install safestrap and then follow the instructions as they are and you'll be fine.

im on 1309 now wth rollback but no way to copy .310 file to root lol with amazon. Ive tried to copy thru safe strap but upon reboot its not there..i turned on wifi and downloaded es explorer and mounted rw and now just get copy failed not enough space.. Im on stock with 32 gig left oi vey

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

im on 1309 now wth rollback but no way to copy .310 file to root lol with amazon. Ive tried to copy thru safe strap but upon reboot its not there..i turned on wifi and downloaded es explorer and mounted rw and now just get copy failed not enough space.. Im on stock with 32 gig left oi vey
t

Last edited:

davekaz

i know im talking to myself i forgot adb so im trying it now just want to understand the cant copy not enough room error in es explorer
opps heres what i got
C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platform-tools>adb push C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platform-tools\update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin /
failed to copy 'C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platform-tools\update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin' to '//update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin': Read-only file system

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
?

i know im talking to myself i forgot adb so im trying it now just want to understand the cant copy not enough room error in es explorer
opps heres what i got
C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platform-tools>adb push C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platform-tools\update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin /
failed to copy 'C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platform-tools\update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin' to '//update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin': Read-only file system
What's the problem here? Your system will not boot? If you have the file on your PC boot up your tablet plug it in and copy it. I don't guess I understand what the issue is here . You're not trying to push it to system or to move it to cache even, you just need it on your Sdcard and not with in any files or folders

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
when it says initiate update from device options does that just mean to go into sd card with a file explorer and open the file as an image file? i have successfully rolled back from 3.2.4 to 3.0.9 xx and put the 3.1 on the sd card. now i am wondering what to do now. do i open it from safestrap and flash it there? Because when i got to system updates under device it says to activate the internet before i can update anything?? I was thinking that if i did that it would update to the latest version of fire

So i went to devise software update and checked for the update iand it found the 13.3.1 rollback update so i went through with the update and it got stuck on the grey screen, i let it sit for an hour then rebooted using power volume button and it rebooted with ss and got me back to 13.0.9 so im back to the question of what do i do to update should i just wait a few hours at the grey screen and see if it'll finally boot.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
when it says initiate update from device options does that just mean to go into sd card with a file explorer and open the file as an image file? i have successfully rolled back from 3.2.4 to 3.0.9 xx and put the 3.1 on the sd card. now i am wondering what to do now. do i open it from safestrap and flash it there? Because when i got to system updates under device it says to activate the internet before i can update anything?? I was thinking that if i did that it would update to the latest version of fire

So i went to devise software update and checked for the update iand it found the 13.3.1 rollback update so i went through with the update and it got stuck on the grey screen, i let it sit for an hour then rebooted using power volume button and it rebooted with ss and got me back to 13.0.9 so im back to the question of what do i do to update should i just wait a few hours at the grey screen and see if it'll finally boot.
Not sure what the problem is. Possible the 13.3.1 update file is bad. Did you verify MD5? Once the file is on sdcard you initiate from within FireOS (check for updates). You may have to enable wifi for the update to be processed correctly. Put your device in 'airplane mode' first to avoid an unwanted gift from Amazon. It's possible Safestrap is getting in the way but you obviously don't want to remove it as it is your only means of recovery if something should go wrong...like it did.

Give it another whirl using the above suggestions. If still stuck might try to root and flash twrp on 13.0.9 which I believe is possible (don't do this just yet...thinking out loud).

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure what the problem is. Possible the 13.3.1 update file is bad. Did you verify MD5? Once the file is on sdcard you initiate from within FireOS (check for updates). You may have to enable wifi for the update to be processed correctly. Put your device in 'airplane mode' first to avoid an unwanted gift from Amazon. It's possible Safestrap is getting in the way but you obviously don't want to remove it as it is your only means of recovery if something should go wrong...like it did.

Give it another whirl using the above suggestions. If still stuck might try to root and flash twrp on 13.0.9 which I believe is possible (don't do this just yet...thinking out loud).

okay the md5 file is something i was trying to check out, i know its easy to do form my samsung phone by just going into the settings, how is it done on the kindle?

I did try it again and let it sit for about 3-4 hours and still nothing so i rebooted still on 3.0.9 xx

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
okay the md5 file is something i was trying to check out, i know its easy to do form my samsung phone by just going into the settings, how is it done on the kindle?

I did try it again and let it sit for about 3-4 hours and still nothing so i rebooted still on 3.0.9 xx
Do you have ES File Explorer installed? If not, get it. Then hold the file you want to check for about two seconds, so it is marked, then select "More" in the lower right corner, in the menu select "Properties", then click "Show checksum", it'll give you md5 & sha-1.

Regarding the update you must use the FireOS update function as mentioned by Davey126.

Last edited:

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
Do you have ES File Explorer installed? If not, get it. Then hold the file you want to check for about two seconds, so it is marked, then select "More" in the lower right corner, in the menu select "Properties", then click "Show checksum", it'll give you md5 & sha-1.

Regarding the update you must use the FireOS update function as mentioned by Davey126.

okay ive got my md5 and what not from the downlaod file where do i find the currrent os that it needs to match up with. what directory is that under?

here is the md5 and sha-1 from the file 13.3.1 not comlete sha-1

md5 - c49c0363de4d8dfa5c87c1db88aa2ba

sha-1
8391011eff765282

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
okay ive got my md5 and what not from the downlaod file where do i find the currrent os that it needs to match up with. what directory is that under?

here is the md5 and sha-1 from the file 13.3.1 not comlete sha-1

md5 - c49c0363de4d8dfa5c87c1db88aa2ba

sha-1
8391011eff765282
That is the correct md5. Going to try a different approach. I'll post back shortly with thoughts; need to verify something first. Hang tight ...

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
That is the correct md5. Going to try a different approach. I'll post back shortly with thoughts; need to verify something first. Hang tight ...

thats from the downloaded file ive gotten from here where is the location in the directories that i need to match that too? or is that the only md5 that is supposed to be checked. Anyways thank you for the extra work you are putting in i really appreciate it.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
thats from the downloaded file ive gotten from here where is the location in the directories that i need to match that too? or is that the only md5 that is supposed to be checked. Anyways thank you for the extra work you are putting in i really appreciate it.
I captured the md5 from a known good 3.1.0 update file.

Here's where I believe you stand. It appears something was amiss with your prior 3.2.4 install. If you've had it for awhile corruption can occur over time - especially on a rooted device where anything is possible and nothing is protected. I'm not going to dive into speculation as to the source. On the surface it many seem the 3.2.4 'rollback' introduced the problem but I would submit it simply exposed it as you likely had OTA blocked before.

There are a couple paths to pursue; both are risky. First I need some info from you. Can you access Amazon's stock recovery? Typically this is done by powering off your device (not just sleeping) and then pressing power + vol-up at the same time. Release the power button when the grey logo appears followed by the volume button. After a few seconds a recovery screen should appear hopefully with only two options:
- reboot
- reset
Choose reboot (NOT reset) and post your findings.

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
I captured the md5 from a known good 3.1.0 update file.

Here's where I believe you stand. It appears something was amiss with your prior 3.2.4 install. If you've had it for awhile corruption can occur over time - especially on a rooted device where anything is possible and nothing is protected. I'm not going to dive into speculation as to the source. On the surface it many seem the 3.2.4 'rollback' introduced the problem but I would submit it simply exposed it as you likely had OTA blocked before.

There are a couple paths to pursue; both are risky. First I need some info from you. Can you access Amazon's stock recovery? Typically this is done by powering off your device (not just sleeping) and then pressing power + vol-up at the same time. Release the power button when the grey logo appears followed by the volume button. After a few seconds a recovery screen should appear hopefully with only two options:
- reboot
- reset
Choose reboot (NOT reset) and post your findings.

yeah i cant boot into kindle recovery it just stops on the grey screen then i use power volume down to boot back up using safestrap

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
I am getting thrown into a bootloop now i didnt notice earlier. I can open up to the os but then letting it sit it will go back to the grey kindle fire screen

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
yeah i cant boot into kindle recovery it just stops on the grey screen then i use power volume down to boot back up using safestrap

I am getting thrown into a bootloop now i didnt notice earlier. I can open up to the os but then letting it sit it will go back to the grey kindle fire screen
Appears your stock recovery partition is borked and probably has been for some time. You would not necessarily notice unless trying to access stock recovery (rare) or perform a rollback/upgrade which requires a working recovery. Normally I would lean towards repairing recovery but given the presence of Safestrap and now a soft bootloop I think moving to a stable rom takes priority. I'm assuming to can still boot into Safestrap recovery.

The bootloop may be due to the presence of the 13.1.0 update file and/or an OTA update that came down from Amazon if you left wifi enabled and airplane mode was not active. You might be able to remove the update .bin using the File Manager built into Safestrap (under Advanced). You should find the update file in the root of sdcard. Navigate carefully as you can do irrevocable damage deleting things from the wrong folder. If that doesn't help stronger measures are needed.

Things to consider:
- your device is obviously unstable and at risk of becoming an unrecoverable brick; immediate goal is to minimize the risk of this occurring
- data preservation is now secondary; if you can get into Safestrap recovery you should be able to make a backup of your data partition for future restoration
- next step involves flashing Nexus 2.0.5 to the STOCK slot replacing FireOS. Normally this is not recommended but is now needed as FireOS is unstable. Either FireOS or Nexus must be in the stock slot to recover a 'native' version of FireOS which is needed for subsequent rollbacks/upgrades/unlocks. I have been advised by @ggow not to flash the SS version of FireOS 3.1.0. That leave Nexus as the only alternative.
- we are in uncharted water. I am taking a best (reasonably educated) guess on the safest path. It may not work with unfavorable outcomes. You are welcome to seek assistance from another party. That's not sarcasm. I'm willing to continue but may make a miscalculation that could leave you with a brick.

Give it some thought and let me know how you want to proceed. Sorry this has happened.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

Warning: Do not flash these files unless you are on .3.2.4 or Nexus ROM 2.0.x.

Here are rollback images (prerooted) which will enable you to get back to .3.1.0

Instructions:

1. Backup your /data partition in Safestrap if desired and copy it to your computer
    2. Flash the appropriate file for you device
    3. From Safestrap do a factory reset
    4. Reboot to 13.3.2.4 modified stock (the screen will go blank for about 15-20 seconds - no problem)
    5. Do not connect to WiFi or register your kindle
    6. Select Complete Setup Later
    7. Copy the .3.1.0 stock update file to the root of your sdcard
    8. Initiate update from device options.

Links

- Apollo Rollback Image
    - Thor Rollback Image
    Corrected Apollo Image

@jeryll,

The corrected Apollo Rollback Image is up.
    Thanks guys, unfortunately I also had the file in the sdcard folder (where it stays) and it doesn't want to update. When I checked the file on my Windows 10 PC, it was not executable because it is "from a different PC". Well, I changed that, moved the file over to the Kindle once more, but still nothing. What is it supposed to say in the Options -> Device -> Softwareupdates? All it says, build number 3.0.9 and Check now for updates.
    Does it have something to do with rights management? The mistake must be something I'm doing I wrong guess, so I will just keep trying today.

E: So I installed Safestrap again, tried to Flash Nexus HDX which failed, reflashed the modified, wiped and somehow mysteriously it found the update and updated! Yayyy. Thanks guys.
    Unlocked bootloader!
    Thanks ggow, but this is a warning to all apollo (HDX 8.9) users - do not use this file to rollback attempt!

@ggow you forgot to edit build.prop file, so after anyone boot from this file (md5 hash: 0f9f3b084500b888fc66415a8539a341), kindle will not continue with downgrade to 14.3.1.0 :crying:

No harm done for me, as I backuped everything I can, but beware, if you dont want problems (I found extremely difficult install anything through adb on this installed/running rollback ... you can try edit build.prop file to correct values for downgrade by yourself, but messing with build.prop is highly risky and small mistake and brick is for sure, so you have been warned) WAIT for ggow to upload correct rollback image, or correct edited build.prop for downgrade

I have taken the file offline, Sorry about that @jeryll, will correct file and re-upload.