• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

.3.2.4 Rollback Images

Search This thread

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
Appears your stock recovery partition is borked and probably has been for some time. You would not necessarily notice unless trying to access stock recovery (rare) or perform a rollback/upgrade which requires a working recovery. Normally I would lean towards repairing recovery but given the presence of Safestrap and now a soft bootloop I think moving to a stable rom takes priority. I'm assuming to can still boot into Safestrap recovery.

The bootloop may be due to the presence of the 13.1.0 update file and/or an OTA update that came down from Amazon if you left wifi enabled and airplane mode was not active. You might be able to remove the update .bin using the File Manager built into Safestrap (under Advanced). You should find the update file in the root of sdcard. Navigate carefully as you can do irrevocable damage deleting things from the wrong folder. If that doesn't help stronger measures are needed.

Things to consider:
- your device is obviously unstable and at risk of becoming an unrecoverable brick; immediate goal is to minimize the risk of this occurring
- data preservation is now secondary; if you can get into Safestrap recovery you should be able to make a backup of your data partition for future restoration
- next step involves flashing Nexus 2.0.5 to the STOCK slot replacing FireOS. Normally this is not recommended but is now needed as FireOS is unstable. Either FireOS or Nexus must be in the stock slot to recover a 'native' version of FireOS which is needed for subsequent rollbacks/upgrades/unlocks. I have been advised by @ggow not to flash the SS version of FireOS 3.1.0. That leave Nexus as the only alternative.
- we are in uncharted water. I am taking a best (reasonably educated) guess on the safest path. It may not work with unfavorable outcomes. You are welcome to seek assistance from another party. That's not sarcasm. I'm willing to continue but may make a miscalculation that could leave you with a brick.

Give it some thought and let me know how you want to proceed. Sorry this has happened.

okay this may be the same nexus i had before i did a factory reset. this must be were the problem developed because i was still rooted and ota were disabled still.

anyways how do i get nexus if ss is installed it specifically ays to not install if ss is active. Thank you this is not your fault it is solely mine

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/apollo-nexus-v1-1-t2835838

do you think it would be a better choice to jsut restore my previous back up of 3.2.4 ?

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

restored to my back up of 3.2.4 and it is working correctly what route would be best to go from here. My initial endgame was cm12.1 and unlocked bootloader so i didnt have to lug around fire Os anymore but i seems that it will be quiet a bit of work since my last rom is still somewhat intact

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
okay this may be the same nexus i had before i did a factory reset. this must be were the problem developed because i was still rooted and ota were disabled still.

anyways how do i get nexus if ss is installed it specifically ays to not install if ss is active. Thank you this is not your fault it is solely mine

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/apollo-nexus-v1-1-t2835838

do you think it would be a better choice to jsut restore my previous back up of 3.2.4 ?

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

restored to my back up of 3.2.4 and it is working correctly what route would be best to go from here. My initial endgame was cm12.1 and unlocked bootloader so i didnt have to lug around fire Os anymore but i seems that it will be quiet a bit of work since my last rom is still somewhat intact
Whoa!! Didn't know you had a backup! I just assumed no backup as no one makes them regardless of the preach coefficient. The presence of a restorable backup is reassuring. Well done! :angel:

For giggles & grins try to boot your device into stock recovery again (power + vol-up). If it works (unlikely) you can retry a 'natural' rollback. Otherwise repairing recovery is a better approach than flashing Nexus. However, that is best done without Safestrap. This is some risk in disabling Safestrap as I can't be 100% sure your device will boot without it given the borked recovery. Need to check with someone more familiar with Safestrap to build confidence (my to-do).

You are probably aware of the numerous benefits associated with installing a 'proper' recovery and unlocking your bootloader. However, there is work and moderate risk involved assuming you get through the current set of hurdles. An alternative is to stick with Nexus v1 (safestrap varient of v2.0.5) which is still highly serviceable especially when enhanced with a few Xposed modules. CM has ring & bling but when it comes to performance/productivity there really isn't much difference. Ideally Nexus should be flashed to a secondary slot but you can overwrite FireOS in the stock slot if space is a concern (each secondary slot consumes ~5GB). FireOS can be restored later if needed.

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
Okay so I will try and boot into stock recovery. I think my backup version was corrupt so it most likely won't work like you were saying but I will try and ill post back the results. I guess since my situation is unique I should hold off on the unlocked bootloader and go the saferoute sick with nexus. My entire reason for trying to update was because Google play services was not working and reminded me every 10 seconds but I see there are fixes for that now too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Okay so I will try and boot into stock recovery. I think my backup version was corrupt so it most likely won't work like you were saying but I will try and ill post back the results. I guess since my situation is unique I should hold off on the unlocked bootloader and go the saferoute sick with nexus. My entire reason for trying to update was because Google play services was not working and reminded me every 10 seconds but I see there are fixes for that now too
If you opt to go with Nexus there are simple fixes to the Google Play Services issue (specifically crashing). Don't get lured into complex tweaks that require constant maintenance and can cripple your device. Also a good chance you won't need to do anything special. Last I checked the gapps package recommended for this rom behaved well and upgraded seamlessly.

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
since i still have safestrap its pretty safe to flash nexus correct on 13.3.2.4? im going to start doing some research on the process then update but thought id ask. again thanks for the help id be using my kindle as a paper weight if it wernt for your help.

rbkelley89

Jul 11, 2014
i successfully installed nexus and gapps on a rom slot 1 but noticed my partition was really small only like 4.5 gb i tried to delete a few things but i must have a few backups taking a lot of space and did a search and cannot find much on where they would be located any quick help with that. I just wanted to let you know with your help i was successful in making the switch from the terrible fire os THANK YOU SO MUCh for hte help. One more thing what are some god xposed modules and where is a good place to mess with these? i have yet to do anything with xposed but i have done a little searching and it looks faily easy. also this late of a android some apps are not supported on google play does an xposed module create a way around this?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
i successfully installed nexus and gapps on a rom slot 1 but noticed my partition was really small only like 4.5 gb i tried to delete a few things but i must have a few backups taking a lot of space and did a search and cannot find much on where they would be located any quick help with that. I just wanted to let you know with your help i was successful in making the switch from the terrible fire os THANK YOU SO MUCh for hte help. One more thing what are some god xposed modules and where is a good place to mess with these? i have yet to do anything with xposed but i have done a little searching and it looks faily easy. also this late of a android some apps are not supported on google play does an xposed module create a way around this?
Thanks for the kind remarks. But the best assistant can be found in your own mirror. Having made a backup of your working FireOS environment (brilliant) was a game changer that mitigated a tough recovery situation.

You can tweak partition attributes (sizes) and when creating a Safestrap slot. Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust later. If needed you could backup your current slot, delete, recreate (larger) and then restore from backup. If space is tight you can also flash Nexus to the stock slot overwriting FireOS Secondary slots can then be deleted. This option eliminates the hard boundaries associated with 'slots' and leaving all storage to the stock slot. If needed FireOS can be restored at a later time from backup or a Safestrap compatible version of 3.1.0 or 3.2.6. Never flash a stock version of FireOS in Safestrap!

Backups created in Safestrap are typically located under the TWRP folder in the root of sdcard. You may have to switch back to the stock slot to find older versions. The files are pretty large and easily found with a tool such as ES File Explorer. If not under TWRP Look for a folder matching your device serial number or a folder starting with the current year (format yyyy-mm-dd--).

As for Xposed everyone has their favorite modules. I am partial to GravityBox which delivers many useful UI enhancements (not just eye candy). You'll need the JB version for Nexus v1/2. XInstaller significantly expands the capabilities of the native Android installer. Also consider Greenify which can be found in the Play Store. I run a half dozen others but that should get you started. You'll need to install the Xposed framework first which can be obtained here. Don't be put off by the 'experimental' tag; it's 100% production worthy. Gmail carried a 'beta' tag for 5 years despite having 10s of millions of users.

Have fun!

blade_bakerk

Jun 19, 2011
Hi all, bit confused and very worried about bricking my kindle thor device.

I have safestrap 3.75, device rooted and on version 3.2.4. What is the easiest way for me to downgrade to unlock the Bootloader? Was thinking I could either flash the 3.1.0 file in another thread by ggow or flash the file in this thread?

I'm a little confused with the steps in this thread.
1. Backup device in safestrap - done
2. Flash file in safestrap - is it the rollback file in this thread?
3. Factory reset - makes sense
4. Reboot keeping wifi off - makes sense
5. Update device through rom using 3.1.0 file - is that file from the other thread by ggow?

Sorry for all the questions, just worried of bricking the device.

Thanks a mil

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi all, bit confused and very worried about bricking my kindle thor device.

I have safestrap 3.75, device rooted and on version 3.2.4. What is the easiest way for me to downgrade to unlock the Bootloader? Was thinking I could either flash the 3.1.0 file in another thread by ggow or flash the file in this thread?

I'm a little confused with the steps in this thread.
1. Backup device in safestrap - done
2. Flash file in safestrap - is it the rollback file in this thread?
3. Factory reset - makes sense
4. Reboot keeping wifi off - makes sense
5. Update device through rom using 3.1.0 file - is that file from the other thread by ggow?

Sorry for all the questions, just worried of bricking the device.

Thanks a mil
Assuming you have FireOS 13.3.2.4 in the stock slot and some version of Nexus in Slot 1.

- using either rom download the following files and place into a folder of your choice created in the root of sdcard:
* Safestrap compatible build of FireOS 3.2.4 (here) / MD5 on download page
* Stock version of FireOS 3.1.0 (here) / MD5=C49C0363DE4D8DFA5C87C1BDB88AA2BA
- (optional/recommended) validate the md5 values with ES File Explorer (here)
- enter Safestrap recovery
- delete slot 1 (be very careful - make sure you do not damage the stock slot)
- from the stock slot flash (install) FireOS 3.2.4 zip
- continue with step 3-8 from the first post in this thread

Thoughts:
- remember to stay off wifi (engage airplane/flight mode) until OTA is reblocked
- steps to block OTA, root, install TWRP, unlock, etc. are best covered after the rollback is complete
- you will need access to a host PC (preferably running Windows) for tethered operations
- the brick risk associated with above steps small but not zero
- read instructions and understand expected outcomes; double check everything before committing
- never guess or assume; ask questions if unsure

peffel

Aug 19, 2011
Hey, thanks for all the effort put into the HDX devices!
Now my problem: Whenever I move the update file (update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin) to the root of the sd card, the file gets deleted upon reboot. I use the Safetrap File Manager to copy the file from SDCard\Download to \
If I move the file to let's say \SDCard\ it works.
Does anyone have an solution?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hey, thanks for all the effort put into the HDX devices!
Now my problem: Whenever I move the update file (update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin) to the root of the sd card, the file gets deleted upon reboot. I use the Safetrap File Manager to copy the file from SDCard\Download to \
If I move the file to let's say \SDCard\ it works.
Does anyone have an solution?
Need a bit more information:
- what version of Safestrap (if known)?
- what rom is loaded in the STOCK slot (if FireOS also need version number)?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Safestrap Version is 3.75 (TWRP v2.7.1.0) and FireOS is the modified 3.0.9 version from the first post.
No need to update to 3.1.0; 3.0.9 has the same vulnerabilities that permit TWRP installation and/or bootloader unlock. You do need to uninstall Safestrap before proceeding:
- make sure FireOS is resident in the STOCK slot
- use HDX Toolkit to block OTA if you are not sure of current status
- from Safestrap recovery remove (delete) any secondary slots
- from FireOS use the Safestrap app to uninstall Safestrap recovery

Do you know how to proceed from there? In a nutshell:
- flash TWRP via terminal command in OP or Flashify
- flash 3.2.3.2 bootloader update
- use 1-click bootloader unlock to unlock bootloader
- flash a compatible HDX rom from the Android Development forum (CM11, CM12, SlimLP, Nexus v4) or Original Develoment (CM13) forums.

Caution: Be sure to read all instructions carefully. Verify MD5s before flashing (bad file = brick). Ask questions as needed.

Reactions: peffel

peffel

Aug 19, 2011
Okay, I did not know that this was it. Thank you very much! My plan is to upgrade to CM13 and I will hopefully do so today. If I encounter some more problems I'll get back at you ;)

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
Okay, I did not know that this was it. Thank you very much! My plan is to upgrade to CM13 and I will hopefully do so today. If I encounter some more problems I'll get back at you ;)
Wait, the "3.0.9" mentioned in the first post is actually a 3.2.4 with a modified version number in order to get the "update" to 3.1.0 working (which is actually a downgrade from 3.2.4 though). So if you're on the modifed 3.2.4/3.0.9 downgrade image you're NOT actually on 3.0.9. ;) So you have to "up-"/downgrade to 3.1.0 in order to use TWRP and unlock the bootloader first.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Wait, the "3.0.9" mentioned in the first post is actually a 3.2.4 with a modified version number in order to get the "update" to 3.1.0 working (which is actually a downgrade from 3.2.4 though). So if you're on the modifed 3.2.4/3.0.9 downgrade image you're NOT actually on 3.0.9. ;) So you have to "up-"/downgrade to 3.1.0 in order to use TWRP and unlock the bootloader first.
Agreed. If the 3.1.0 update was being deleted on reboot it is possible FireOS decided (accurately or not) it was an invalid .bin. Suggest downloading again (be sure to get the correct copy for your device) and validating MD5 with ES File Explorer. You can also use this tool to relocate the file to the root of sdcard to rule out any weirdness with the Safestrap v3 file manager.

peffel

Aug 19, 2011
Even when I copy the file with ES Explorer, it's gone after a reboot. It's even gone just turning it off (from the modified FireOS 3.2.4) and then checking in the Safestrap file explorer, if it's still there. Because it's 800MB in size, could it be, that there's just not enough space in root?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Even when I copy the file with ES Explorer, it's gone after a reboot. It's even gone just turning it off (from the modified FireOS 3.2.4) and then checking in the Safestrap file explorer, if it's still there. Because it's 800MB in size, could it be, that there's just not enough space in root?
Possible - although this is not a common problem on HDX devices. Assume you validated the 3.1.0 md5 and have the right version for your device. Did you have FireOS or Nexus v2 in the stock slot before flashing the 3.2.4 rollback file? Not sure if this matters; background question for now.

You may want to consider reflashing the 3.2.4 rollback file, possibly after flashing and booting Nexus v2 to clear out any FireOS remnants in the system partition. Don't forget to wipe cache, dalvik and data partitions (but NEVER system!) prior to flashing a new rom. This can be done using the 'factory reset' slider under the 'wipe' option in Safestrap. This is different than a stock factory reset which should NEVER be done with Safestrap installed. Always keep a copy of the Nexus v2 (smaller than FireOS) installation zip in the root of sdcard to for emergency recovery if the stock rom won't boot.

You may want to wait 12-24 hours to see if another party weighs in with additional thoughts.

Reactions: peffel

EncryptedCurse

Jul 9, 2014

What directory, exactly, are you copying it into?
Have you checked settings to see if your device isn't full?

peffel

Aug 19, 2011
Thank you guys very much for the help! Unfortunately, I still wasn't able to make it work. I reflashed the 3.2.4, wiped the cache before that, still can't make the file stay in the root of the sd card (we are talking right in / , not actually /SDCard/ , right?).
I'm using the stock file fromhere (3.1.0). I had the Nexus HDX 2.0.2 on slot 2, flashed the modified file to the stock slot (which had 3.2.4 before).
Tomorrow, I will try to flash Nexus HDX once again and then reflash FireOS.
And I don't know the original check sum, so I downloaded it several times and compared them with each other and they were the same.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

Warning: Do not flash these files unless you are on .3.2.4 or Nexus ROM 2.0.x.

Here are rollback images (prerooted) which will enable you to get back to .3.1.0

Instructions:

1. Backup your /data partition in Safestrap if desired and copy it to your computer
    2. Flash the appropriate file for you device
    3. From Safestrap do a factory reset
    4. Reboot to 13.3.2.4 modified stock (the screen will go blank for about 15-20 seconds - no problem)
    5. Do not connect to WiFi or register your kindle
    6. Select Complete Setup Later
    7. Copy the .3.1.0 stock update file to the root of your sdcard
    8. Initiate update from device options.

Links

- Apollo Rollback Image
    - Thor Rollback Image
    Corrected Apollo Image

@jeryll,

The corrected Apollo Rollback Image is up.
    Thanks guys, unfortunately I also had the file in the sdcard folder (where it stays) and it doesn't want to update. When I checked the file on my Windows 10 PC, it was not executable because it is "from a different PC". Well, I changed that, moved the file over to the Kindle once more, but still nothing. What is it supposed to say in the Options -> Device -> Softwareupdates? All it says, build number 3.0.9 and Check now for updates.
    Does it have something to do with rights management? The mistake must be something I'm doing I wrong guess, so I will just keep trying today.

E: So I installed Safestrap again, tried to Flash Nexus HDX which failed, reflashed the modified, wiped and somehow mysteriously it found the update and updated! Yayyy. Thanks guys.
    Unlocked bootloader!
    Thanks ggow, but this is a warning to all apollo (HDX 8.9) users - do not use this file to rollback attempt!

@ggow you forgot to edit build.prop file, so after anyone boot from this file (md5 hash: 0f9f3b084500b888fc66415a8539a341), kindle will not continue with downgrade to 14.3.1.0 :crying:

No harm done for me, as I backuped everything I can, but beware, if you dont want problems (I found extremely difficult install anything through adb on this installed/running rollback ... you can try edit build.prop file to correct values for downgrade by yourself, but messing with build.prop is highly risky and small mistake and brick is for sure, so you have been warned) WAIT for ggow to upload correct rollback image, or correct edited build.prop for downgrade

I have taken the file offline, Sorry about that @jeryll, will correct file and re-upload.