3 very important tips for developers

Search This thread

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
If you are an app/ software developer, here are three very important UI related tips for you:

1. Design for least number of taps: Users should be able to access/ use a feature with the least number of taps. I often find that frequently used parts of an app require one or two additional taps because of where the feature has been located. This is inconvenient and avoidable.

2. One-handed use: UI should be such that the app should be usable with one hand. Make use of bottom bar instead of top bar.

3. Use Filters (including Search): Filters are the most efficient way of organizing and finding things, without having to move things around. Implement it wherever possible.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Spot on with the multiple taps and search.

I never get use to using a bottom nav bar though like in the Samsung browser.
Lol, I gave up one handed use when I got the N10+🤣 I want that extra display real estate so it's a fair tradeoff for me. That long display means the top of the display is more easily in my view than the bottom.

Reactions: TheMystic

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017

Lol, I gave up one handed use when I got the N10+🤣 I want that extra display real estate so it's a fair tradeoff for me. That long display means the top of the display is more easily in my view than the bottom.
When Google Search Bar was launched, all launchers would place them on top of the screen. Later, that was moved towards the bottom and I don't think anyone places the search bar on top any more. On my Homescreen with Nova Launcher, it is right below the dock, which is very convenient. It is only a matter of getting used to the new layout.

Bottom bar is even more required today because all phones now have large screen sizes. If top of the display is more easily in your view, then you would need the bottom bar even more because the address bar is not what you want to keep looking at. You want to see content more than the address bar. I keep the address bar at the bottom wherever the option is available (e.g. Vivaldi browser).

Even though OneUI and other ROMs have a nice one-handed mode, I don't use it that often. If apps can make features accessible with buttons placed at the bottom than at the top, they would make the usability even more convenient. That combined with swipe gestures would make for a perfect UI design.

Take a loot at this:

Screenshot_20221209_103802_Gallery.png

I'm inside a photo album. If I want to filter out just the videos, the menu is at the top:

Screenshot_20221209_103748_Gallery.png

If that menu (action bar) was at the bottom, it would be more convenient to perform the desired action.

This is just one example. There are several other uses I come across every day where a bottom bar would be much more convenient than a top bar, and as mentioned before, if swipe gestures are combined with the bottom bar (e.g. for switching tabs), the design would be perfect and much better than current implementation in most apps.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I definitely don't want a search bar on the bottom as I never use Google Assistant and peck everything out. Towards the bottom is out of my line of sight. I use Finder occasionally never the Google Search bar though. Just don't trust Google at all... they become less of an asset and more of a liability each year.

Control boxes towards the top right work well though.
Screenshot_20221209-003357_Settings Suggestions.jpg

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
I definitely don't want a search bar on the bottom as I never use Google Assistant and peck everything out. Towards the bottom is out of my line of sight. I use Finder occasionally never the Google Search bar though. Just don't trust Google at all... they become less of an asset and more of a liability each year.

View attachment 5780879
The only advantage I see of having controls on the top of the phone is to force two handed use, which reduces the chances of dropping the phone and damaging it. 😂😂

Otherwise, it is just a matter of adjusting your line of sight and getting used to it. 😁

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The only advantage I see of having controls on the top of the phone is to force two handed use, which reduces the chances of dropping the phone and damaging it. 😂😂

Otherwise, it is just a matter of adjusting your line of sight and getting used to it. 😁
I almost always use 2 hands with the N10+ and I'm right handed. Lefties want the reverse side of where I want the controls.
Regardless the user should have full control of placement.
Screenshot_20221209-010632_One UI Home.jpg
My current control layout. A whole different animal.
The green zone is the sweet spot and easiest to hit.
Red: DigiClock's hidden quad switch zones, 1&2 are used a lot.
Blue: One Handed Operation plus, zone A&B used the most. Controls I intentionally want to be harder to toggle are on the left.
Yellow: Clipboard Edge, somewhat out of the way to avoid false triggers, but still within easy reach.
Screenshot_20221209-012103_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221209-012105_Settings.jpg
The N10+ does have a one handed mode but I never use it. Flip tops were the last phones I used like that.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
I almost always use 2 hands with the N10+ and I'm right handed. Lefties want the reverse side of where I want the controls.
View attachment 5780893
Blue: One Handed Operation plus, zone A&B used the most. Controls I intentionally want to be harder to toggle are on the left.
Yellow: Clipboard Edge, somewhat out of the way to avoid false triggers, but still within easy reach.
View attachment 5780897View attachment 5780899
The N10+ does have a one handed mode but I never use it. Flip tops were the last phones I used like that.
Navigation gestures take care of the problem of being right handed or left handed.

The Edge panel and One Hand Operation+ do make phone usage a lot more easier and quicker. Here's my setup:

Screenshot_20221209_140054_One Hand Operation +.jpg

But all these are OS related. App Developers would do well if they can implement the suggestions made to make the experience within the app better.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Navigation gestures take care of the problem of being right handed or left handed.

The Edge panel and One Hand Operation+ do make phone usage a lot more easier and quicker. Here's my setup:

View attachment 5780943

But all these are OS related. App Developers would do well if they can implement the suggestions made to make the experience within the app better.
One Handed Operation plus is a great app with many options. You don't even want to know how many of the switch zones in it I'm using now🤣
It lacks one critical thing, backup capabilities.

Apps should allow export/import backup files to card, hdd, etc. That makes a huge difference and adds value to the app. I will deliberately choose an app that has over one that doesn't especially complex ones. I love ColorNote as it automatically will backup to my SD card or cloud if you wish among other features.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
One Handed Operation plus is a great app with many options. You don't even want to know how many of the switch zones in it I'm using now🤣
It lacks one critical thing, backup capabilities.

Apps should allow export/import backup files to card, hdd, etc. That makes a huge difference and adds value to the app. I will deliberately choose an app that has over one that doesn't especially complex ones. I love ColorNote as it automatically will backup to my SD card or cloud if you wish among other features.
I think many of the popular apps do have an option to backup and restore configurations. This is even more important for local apps that don't work off the cloud. I use Google Keep and Microsoft OneNote purely because they are cloud based, and allow me to access my notes on any device I want. This is also true of other types of apps. I have multiple devices running on different OS platforms, and so this becomes an essential criteria for me, as they make life much easier.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are an app/ software developer, here are three very important UI related tips for you:

1. Design for least number of taps: Users should be able to access/ use a feature with the least number of taps. I often find that frequently used parts of an app require one or two additional taps because of where the feature has been located. This is inconvenient and avoidable.

2. One-handed use: UI should be such that the app should be usable with one hand. Make use of bottom bar instead of top bar.

3. Use Filters (including Search): Filters are the most efficient way of organizing and finding things, without having to move things around. Implement it wherever possible.

When Google Search Bar was launched, all launchers would place them on top of the screen. Later, that was moved towards the bottom and I don't think anyone places the search bar on top any more. On my Homescreen with Nova Launcher, it is right below the dock, which is very convenient. It is only a matter of getting used to the new layout.

Bottom bar is even more required today because all phones now have large screen sizes. If top of the display is more easily in your view, then you would need the bottom bar even more because the address bar is not what you want to keep looking at. You want to see content more than the address bar. I keep the address bar at the bottom wherever the option is available (e.g. Vivaldi browser).

Even though OneUI and other ROMs have a nice one-handed mode, I don't use it that often. If apps can make features accessible with buttons placed at the bottom than at the top, they would make the usability even more convenient. That combined with swipe gestures would make for a perfect UI design.

Take a loot at this:

Screenshot_20221209_103802_Gallery.png

I'm inside a photo album. If I want to filter out just the videos, the menu is at the top:

Screenshot_20221209_103748_Gallery.png

If that menu (action bar) was at the bottom, it would be more convenient to perform the desired action.

This is just one example. There are several other uses I come across every day where a bottom bar would be much more convenient than a top bar, and as mentioned before, if swipe gestures are combined with the bottom bar (e.g. for switching tabs), the design would be perfect and much better than current implementation in most apps.

Screenshot_20221209-003357_Settings Suggestions.jpg

Screenshot_20221209-010632_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209-012103_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20221209-012105_Settings.jpg