• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

32 process limit

Search This thread

darfri

Nov 13, 2008
Has anybody found a solution for this limitation yet that has always been in mobile windows editions - you cannot have more than 32 processes running at a time.

Or alternative - is there a way to run a normal process as a system service?
My device has lots of ram. Only I cannot use it because all of the windows's apps are made as compact as possible and I run into the 32 process limit

stephj

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 2, 2007
Lancashire
The 32 processes is a limit of the underlying CE 5.0 operating system. Microsoft say this will be addressed in CE 6.0

WM 6.x is still based on CE 5.0. Until WM runs on CE 6.0, it is everybody's problem.

A service still requires a process which runs to provide the service. You would not gain anything there.

HandySpanner

Dec 5, 2006
The 32 processes is a limit of the underlying CE 5.0 operating system. Microsoft say this will be addressed in CE 6.0

WM 6.x is still based on CE 5.0. Until WM runs on CE 6.0, it is everybody's problem.

A service still requires a process which runs to provide the service. You would not gain anything there.

Windows Mobile has support for multiple services running as threads in "services.exe". I think they have to be written in C++ though. By utilizing that process (which is almost certainly already running due to another service), you don't increase the process count.