32GB or 64GB MicroSD cards for Galaxy S3

Search This thread

ilovehc

Jan 7, 2013
Rome
Hi there,

so in the end what is the best model/brand/class for a galaxy s3?

i've read some pages but i can't arrive to any conclusion.

thanks in advance!

Zabalba

Jun 19, 2010
Miami
IF OWN THIS SANDISK 32GB OR 64GB C10 UHS-I AND YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH THIS CARD
OR IF YOU WANT TO RECLAIM YOUR 16MB BACK SEE THIS POST!
)

I can confirm I resolved my issue with this card (64 gig SanDisk). I resolved my issue on my own before I saw this thread, but basically what Akuma provided was correct.

The first 64 gig SanDisk I received had bad blocks halfway through the card so I sent it back to Amazon and received a replacement. I had the same issue that the card would unmount itself. I tired fat32, exfat, and ntfs, and the card could not mount back to my phone. I noticed the extra partition previously but left it alone. After trying out different methods I decideded to delete the 16 meg partition and try it again. I removed the partition in Acronis and reformatted it to fat32 for compatibilities sake (I've had issues with files disappearing with exFat on different SD cards and different phones).

So far I have not had any issues with the card after taking care of that partition.

Reactions: akdenizx

shaun0207

Jan 8, 2008
B-more
SanDisk Android App

The Android App is not recognizing my 64GB SDXC card. its formatted to fat32 and I have no issues. But the app doesnt recognize it. Any ideas?

akdenizx

Dec 12, 2011
Klaipeda
I have SanDisk 32 GB C10, and same problem so I have asked for refunding. I guess this is the best soulution, because i do not want to spend my time this stupid card issues. :(

Last edited:

predation

Jan 1, 2011
note 2 guys are having the same issue.
for now, i'd probably stay away from sandisk and stick to samsung.

dreDrennon1

Jun 18, 2010
Nashville
I use a scandisk ultra 32gb works perfectly

Sent From My Galaxy Modded, Blue Beast.... With Them Multi Windows & The Ink On The Front ....

1slow4G

Nov 19, 2012
South Tex
Becareful with them fakes in ebay and amazon. Do research before you get a counterfeit in the mail. Just another heads up.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using neighbors wifi :p

thanhxvo

Oct 12, 2011
I have San disk 32gb class 10 also. Fat32. CM10.1 can't seem to work out how to store video to SD?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Try download "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" , delete the partition and reformat it again to FAT32 using that software. It should work. I had problems when trying to format it on a computer but I hope this helps.

Reactions: thenrik and ididnt

skim7x

Aug 15, 2010
So I've been reading and am a little confused. I have a 64gb sandisk working well on my gs3, formatted to fat32. However, above all else, I want to be able to stir 8gb files on the phone (movies). Is there a way to do this or not? I realize I would have to use a different format than fat32, but would any other format be recognized by the gs3?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: sRDennyCrane

sRDennyCrane

So I've been reading and am a little confused. I have a 64gb sandisk working well on my gs3, formatted to fat32. However, above all else, I want to be able to stir 8gb files on the phone (movies). Is there a way to do this or not? I realize I would have to use a different format than fat32, but would any other format be recognized by the gs3?

Not to be that guy, but... if your movies are 8gb in length, or even close, something's horribly wrong. My 720p movies are all in the 1gb-1.5gb range and look great. How are you converting them? ARE you converting them? Try Handbrake and crunch them to .mp4 format.

thegof

Dec 27, 2007
Not to be that guy, but... if your movies are 8gb in length, or even close, something's horribly wrong. My 720p movies are all in the 1gb-1.5gb range and look great. How are you converting them? ARE you converting them? Try Handbrake and crunch them to .mp4 format.

And I'd challenge you to really tell the difference if you compress them further to about 700MB (+/- depending on movie length). Unless you're streaming these back to a larger media device, it's hard to really tell the difference with the additional compression.

BTW: Free converter at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ today (Aiseesoft Total Media Converter Platinum 6.3.28). Pretty much point and click conversion. They have a wide variety of phones in the output list. As the title indicates, the giveaway is today only, something else tomorrow. Media converters are fairly frequent though. No connection other than a satisfied leach :D

Reactions: highaltitude

skim7x

Aug 15, 2010
Wow... I did not realize I could do this lol... When I watch on my 60" I guess it needs to be 8gb but yeah I don't see why it needs to be the same quality on A small screen haha... Ok I'll try the compression program when I get home tonight, thanks guys!!

sRDennyCrane

And I'd challenge you to really tell the difference if you compress them further to about 700MB (+/- depending on movie length). Unless you're streaming these back to a larger media device, it's hard to really tell the difference with the additional compression.

When I rip a DVD (480p), I'll end up with an ~700mb .mp4 file, but for HD content, at 720p, 1-1.5gb seems the best compromise between size and quality. Handbrake really excels at taking out a lot of guesswork, and that's a free program, too.

ididnt

Jan 27, 2011
Sydney
Try download "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" , delete the partition and reformat it again to FAT32 using that software. It should work. I had problems when trying to format it on a computer but I hope this helps.

But where is the setting to tell the camera to store on external SD?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

thanhxvo

Oct 12, 2011
Open your camera, go to settings, scroll all the way down change the "storage" to memory card

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

ucanthvit

Dec 16, 2012
quick swap

i did a quick swap from my g2 to my s3 (32gb samsung card), love it. between online storage options and unlimited data, i don't need the 64gb card. i still have plenty available w/ the 16gb internal and the 32gb external

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PSA RE: SanDisk 32GB/64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I

IF OWN THIS SANDISK 32GB OR 64GB C10 UHS-I AND YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH THIS CARD

This applies to the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 30MB/s 32GB or 64GB Class 10 UHS-I cards (the Class 6 cards did not have this issue (I believe)
    To everyone - you may have a problem with this SanDisk C10 card in your Android device (especially the Galaxy 7.7 and S2).
    Not because its C10, not because its UHS-I, but because of SanDisk's making 2 partitions.
    edit: it may be that both the 32GB and 64GB C10 cards both have 2 partitions. you may have to do this for the 32GB C10 card also.

The old 64GB C6 card just had 1 partition, one large 59.48GB (after format) drive

After further inspection of the C10 card, I found out that SanDisk stupidly added in an offset of 16MB at the beginning of the card
    (which might house that weird secure stuff that SanDisk has, but not necessary).
    I'll post up a screen shot (and a formal thread of this problem later)

Basically, in order to get rid of it: (in Windows)
    - Press Start
    - type "partition", and the link "Create and format hard disk partitions" should pop up
    (alternatively, you can just type diskmgmt.msc)

Disk Management will load up at this point. You should see a list of all the drives you have.
    - Find your 64GB MicroSDXC. You should see that it's divided into 2 sections, one 16MB "empty" partition, and one 59.45GB exFAT partition
    - Normally you could just Right Click on the partition and delete the partition to combine the empty space, but Disk Management won't let you do it in this case.

Now, in order to format your drive so it's 1 whole piece:

- Go to start, type in cmd
    - Right click on cmd, and select "run as Administrator"
    - command line will start w/ Admin privileges

Here, you need to run a program called DiskPart. It helps you "clean" hard drives that have many partitions that aren't normally accessible.
    - from cmd line, type diskpart
    - a new command line program will start
    - here, type "list", it will show you a list of commands.
    - type "list disk", find out which disk is your 64GB micro (mine happens to be disk 8)
    - type "select disk #" (# is your disk you want for cleaning)
    - disk # will be selected.
    Very important: Make sure you have the right disk!
    - If you are sure, type in the word "clean". This will completely wipe out the disk that was selected.

after that, you're done, you can exit DiskPart/cmd.

Go back to Disk Management, and now you can see that the whole drive is unallocated.

At this point, you can format your drive (using your Android device or Windows, to FAT32 or exFAT) and it will use up all the space (59.45GB + 16MB = 59.47GB?, lol)
    The difference between the sdhc cards and the sdxc cards is that the xc are intended to be used on usb3 systems so that they can take advantage of the speed. This is important when you are loading the card with your music library or unloading it with your photos. (and you don't do it mounted inside the phone.)

A Sandisk 64GB sdxc class ten card won't get the 30mb read speed advertised. It gets regular class 10 speed, the gs3 has no speed improvements when using this type of mcard. Here's a speed test in the phone of the Sandisk 64GB sdxc I got the other day.

IME, exfat is sensitive to power level change and anything that stalls or disrupts any read/write operation. However, if the phone says that it is damaged, just put it in to your adapter and a pc with exfat support and run chkdsk /f (with the fix options selected).

ezu9ymyh.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    64gb because MOAR IS BETTER! :D I formatted mine to FAT32 because from what I've read and experienced with my other devices, it's just safer that way. I've had issues right off the bat using exFAT on some devices (mostly Samsung) or gradually the card will become corrupted (I've lost about 3 full microsd cards full of data so far). From what I've read this is due to Samsung using a half baked implementation of exFAT. exFAT is a patent-pending, proprietary file system created by Microsoft, so if Samsung, or any other OEM wanted to use the full implementation they would have to pay licensing fees. So while you can format it to exFAT using a PC, the way Samsung devices handle it there is high chance of it getting corrupted.
    Hi. I'm getting the SanDisk 64gb class 10 tomorrow. So formatting it using the phone will make it FAT32? As previously mentioned in the thread it isn't worth formatting to exFAT, right?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    The default system as far as I know in SGS3 is exfat. Use a free downloadable tool by name mini tools and format the card to fat 32. I have a 64 GB micro sd class 10 sandisk. I have no problems using it . My 32 gb card was running out of space because of music files If you are getting a new card you can do a surface test with the tool i mentioned above so that you know whether it has any defective sectors. It does take some time though.
    I've been using the 64GB C10 UHS-1 card for a little over a month now, and I've got to say I don't have any the issues people reported (corrupt).

This method seem to did the trick!

This applies to the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 30MB/s 32GB or 64GB Class 10 UHS-I cards (the Class 6 cards did not have this issue (I believe)
    To everyone - you may have a problem with this SanDisk C10 card in your Android device (especially the Galaxy 7.7 and S2).
    Not because its C10, not because its UHS-I, but because of SanDisk's making 2 partitions.
    edit: it may be that both the 32GB and 64GB C10 cards both have 2 partitions. you may have to do this for the 32GB C10 card also.

The old 64GB C6 card just had 1 partition, one large 59.48GB (after format) drive

After further inspection of the C10 card, I found out that SanDisk stupidly added in an offset of 16MB at the beginning of the card
    (which might house that weird secure stuff that SanDisk has, but not necessary).
    I'll post up a screen shot (and a formal thread of this problem later)

Basically, in order to get rid of it: (in Windows)
    - Press Start
    - type "partition", and the link "Create and format hard disk partitions" should pop up
    (alternatively, you can just type diskmgmt.msc)

Disk Management will load up at this point. You should see a list of all the drives you have.
    - Find your 64GB MicroSDXC. You should see that it's divided into 2 sections, one 16MB "empty" partition, and one 59.45GB exFAT partition
    - Normally you could just Right Click on the partition and delete the partition to combine the empty space, but Disk Management won't let you do it in this case.

Now, in order to format your drive so it's 1 whole piece:

- Go to start, type in cmd
    - Right click on cmd, and select "run as Administrator"
    - command line will start w/ Admin privileges

Here, you need to run a program called DiskPart. It helps you "clean" hard drives that have many partitions that aren't normally accessible.
    - from cmd line, type diskpart
    - a new command line program will start
    - here, type "list", it will show you a list of commands.
    - type "list disk", find out which disk is your 64GB micro (mine happens to be disk 8)
    - type "select disk #" (# is your disk you want for cleaning)
    - disk # will be selected.
    Very important: Make sure you have the right disk!
    - If you are sure, type in the word "clean". This will completely wipe out the disk that was selected.

after that, you're done, you can exit DiskPart/cmd.

Go back to Disk Management, and now you can see that the whole drive is unallocated.

At this point, you can format your drive (using your Android device or Windows, to FAT32 or exFAT) and it will use up all the space (59.45GB + 16MB = 59.47GB?, lol)