• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
Quick question bengalih,

Do you change from portrait to landscape quite often?

In terms of normal usage... not really, but I must admit I have been using my Tilt more for messing around with than actually being productive since I got it :)

When testing a new ROM I always do alot of mode switch tests as I like to have a quick swap.

However, for purposes of this test, I didn't switch mode at all.

kjb86

Jan 7, 2008
In terms of normal usage... not really, but I must admit I have been using my Tilt more for messing around with than actually being productive since I got it :)

When testing a new ROM I always do alot of mode switch tests as I like to have a quick swap.

However, for purposes of this test, I didn't switch mode at all.

alright, cool thanks.

Earlier this evening I had to reset my phone. It sat in stand by for at least 45 min and i was playing with it, using touchflo, tapping, etc. All was normal.

However, after flipping out the keyboard I noticed that it briefly started to have its freezing moments when flipping back to portrait. So perhaps this could be looked into a little.

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
alright, cool thanks.

Earlier this evening I had to reset my phone. It sat in stand by for at least 45 min and i was playing with it, using touchflo, tapping, etc. All was normal.

However, after flipping out the keyboard I noticed that it briefly started to have its freezing moments when flipping back to portrait. So perhaps this could be looked into a little.

Well not to get too off topic from the SPL issue, I will say that I have found portrait/landscape mode swapping to be very inconsistent on all ROMS. On the fastest ROMs I have tried the screen rotates in about 1 second (1 mississippi count). On the worst ROMs it is about a 3 mississippi count. However, the fast ROMs will sometimes perform at more of a 1.5-2.0 second interval and the slower ROMs will sometimes perform closer to the 1.5 marks. I don't think this has to do with what i have running etc as I will usually do these test just after a soft reset (giving the phone about 60-120 seconds to finish starting up first). But I'll leave it at that...back to the topic at hand....

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
Ok I would try Jockys HardSPL 1.1

These are the results of Jocky's 1.1...they are equivalent to HardSPL:

Jockey SPL (SPL-1.1.JockyW)
Average:1580

As far as the other ones you attached... HardSPL is I believe the normal OliPro one which I already tested. JumpSPL is a "soft" SPL and can't actually be flashed permanently. Correct me if I'm wrong.

aruppenthal

Dec 9, 2006
Parkersburg
As you are I am very sceptical as to how the SPL could have any affect on the OS. However I did read one interesting post in the other thread.

The poster brought up the fact that the SPL loads the OS. If the SPL improperly starts that load out before the .dlls take over it could have an effect on the OS.

So far that is the most logical reason I have heard thus far. I would love to see olipro jocky or one of the other heavy hitters weigh in on the issue.

Till then I think Ill stick with HardSPL.

NotATreoFan

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
I'm not a fancy-schmancy tester-roony (what? :confused:), but I can state with certainty that my Tilt, which is currently running L26's Diamond v4 ROM, has seen major improvements since flashing to the new HTC 3.28 SPL.

With the L26 v4 ROM in particular, I was experiencing screen lag several times per minute. With the new SPL, it has not happened once!

Nick Collision

Oct 4, 2007
Fact of the matter is bengalih has been the only one I have seen to try to quantify and qualify the effects (if any) of the newer 6.1 based roms and various SPL's. I applaud his efforts, and further investigation is warranted IMHO.

Frankly, posting one-off reports of success or failure using one SPL or other using one ROM or other pale in comparison to a well documented method and means, which bengalih has at least attempted. Too often this forum relies on "Ok this is what works for me" posts, rather than sytematic efforts to determine what will work for most under such and such conditions. The results should be quantifiable and replicable. Bengalih has attempted that, suggested a process, and is asking for replication or refinement of the procedure. That is what this thread is for IMHO.

You may not like the message, but dont kill the messenger.

fitdocsr

Nov 8, 2007
Raleigh
Back to the topic!

I dont post much but on this issue I am totally convinced that the SPL is causing issues. I started having the freezing with the official att rom 1.62 after I had been using other cooked roms and hardSPL. Just yesterday I switched back to the SPL that came with att 1.62 and I havent had a freeze at all. I am dying to hear from Pof, Jockey, Oli anyone of those that know how the SPL really works and perhaps a new version of HardSPL. So let me reiterate, no placebo here, problem solved by reverting to original spl. However I dont like being stuck with official roms.

Nick Collision

Oct 4, 2007
I dont post much but on this issue I am totally convinced that the SPL is causing issues. I started having the freezing with the official att rom 1.62 after I had been using other cooked roms and hardSPL. Just yesterday I switched back to the SPL that came with att 1.62 and I havent had a freeze at all. I am dying to hear from Pof, Jockey, Oli anyone of those that know how the SPL really works and perhaps a new version of HardSPL. So let me reiterate, no placebo here, problem solved by reverting to original spl. However I dont like being stuck with official roms.

Please qualify and quantify your results using the procedures outlined in the original post. Or maybe suggest new procedures? THEN you will be on-topic. I'm happy whatever you did works for you, however it is practically irrelevant in this thread.

Last edited:

lewcamino

Jun 21, 2005
Chicago
www.teamcf.net

I agree with most of your post.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE OFFICIAL ROMS TO USE OFFICIAL SPL!!!

1. HARD SPL
2. Flash L26 V4 (Cause it is the best out there)
3. Official SPL

If you want to try another ROM (but you wont, till L26 V5) simply flash HARD SPL, repeat.

Nick Collision

Oct 4, 2007
Having a large test group try two SPLs and report back their findings is a procedure.

The original poster tested not only two, but as many as five SPL's if I recall correctly. At-large testing is good, however your personal assessment will be drowned in another flood of "me too" and "me-not" posts. Which IMHO is counterproductive. Stick to the procedure, test, and post. Suggest changes to the procedure, test, then post. Otherwise you are just noise.

fitdocsr

Nov 8, 2007
Raleigh
Please qualify and quantify your results using the procedures outlined in the original post. Or maybe suggest new procedures? THEN you will be on-topic. I'm happy whatever you did works for you, however it is practically irrelevant in this thread.

Procedure:
Device=Tilt
Use original rom.....no freezing
HardSPL OliPof
Flash Rom I tried aprox. 10 of the most popular. Then perform common tasks on each. ..... freezing occurs, non responsive screen and keys random times.
Didnt matter if it was a 6.0 rom or 6.1 rom. Freezing occured on both but the freezes were more frequent on 6.1 roms.
Flashed updated ATT SPL and then flashed official ATT 1.62 and havent experienced a freeze in 24 hours. Note this rom did have the freezing when HardSPL was used.

Last edited:

Nick Collision

Oct 4, 2007
Procedure:
Device=Tilt
Use original rom.....no freezing
HardSPL OliPof
Flash Rom I tried aprox. 10 of the most popular. Then perform common tasks on each. ..... freezing occurs, non responsive screen and keys random times.
Didnt matter if it was a 6.0 rom or 6.1 rom. Freezing occured on both but the freezes were more frequent on 6.1 roms.
Flashed updated ATT SPL and then flashed official ATT 1.62 and havent experienced a freeze in 24 hours. Note this rom did have the freezing when HardSPL was used.
AWESOME!! Dude... you roxors glad you got it werxin rite!!

Now can we get back to some real testing?

<casm>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.