3D Printed Qi Charging Dock

Search This thread
Dec 7, 2010
Calgary / Taipei
I prefer having my phone sitting up right, so here's what I did couple days ago :eek:

This is one of those cheap ebay Qi charging pad. Crack it open, move everything from here...
IMG_5477.jpg

...to my 3D printed dock.
IMG_5473.jpg

Slide coil in, PCB is held with double sided tape. Pretty straightforward.
A bit of PCB is trimmed off to make space for the connector. I did cut off the speaker, it's too loud for me.
IMG_5488.jpg

Messy inside but hey, you can't see them!
IMG_5485.jpg

Result:
IMG_2405.jpg

And the back:
IMG_2407.jpg

I have my SKP (Google SketchUp) files attached below, feel free to use or modify! :cowboy:
If you're actually going to send these files in for printing, make sure you double check all measurements!

-----EDIT-----
It appears that some of you may be interested in making one. I just made this model public at Shapeways http://shpws.me/oi3O.
This is designed to fit parts from "GMYLE (TM) Wireless Charging Pad Powermat Mat Charger". Other models may not fit and you'll have to modify.
You can download the model and make the walls thinner, engrave some text/logo, etc. The less material the cheaper it is.

Putting it together is very straightforward once you have the parts in your hand and use the the pics above as references.

Attachments

• N4Dock.zip
    60.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

tysj

Feb 8, 2010
...BEAUTIFUL. The routing hole for the speaker is also really well-done and subtle. Is there a cover for the bottom to protect the PCB? I'd be slightly worried about the exposed copper from the cut, unless there isn't any.

Andy`

Aug 25, 2009
Can I get one in black? Pretty please!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

djsubterrain

Jan 4, 2012
Livingston
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
Very nice, you should sell the empty dock along with instructions of how to transfer the innards, that way I think you'd be safe from copyright infringement cos you're actually encouraging people to buy the other product and not copying any of the manufacturing process.

How is the coil held in place?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2010
Calgary / Taipei
...BEAUTIFUL. The routing hole for the speaker is also really well-done and subtle. Is there a cover for the bottom to protect the PCB? I'd be slightly worried about the exposed copper from the cut, unless there isn't any.

Hey thanks, I did not make a cover, 3D printing gets expensive real quick :p
It's sitting on a wooden nightstand so I'm not too worried about anything shorting out.

If i ever need to place this on some metallic surface the plan is to stick a transparency sheet below with some double sided tape on the edge, this should do the job.

Can I get one in black? Pretty please!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I was gonna get it in black but for some reason black cost more, so I thought forget it.
You are free to send the files to any shop; I did it at shapeways:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1146133/nexus-4-qi-charging-dock.html

This is the first time I have a model printed in that material, wasn't sure about its strength so the I made walls quite thick.
With some modification to the model the cost could go down to $40 something. :)

Dec 7, 2010
Calgary / Taipei
Very nice, you should sell the empty dock along with instructions of how to transfer the innards, that way I think you'd be safe from copyright infringement cos you're actually encouraging people to buy the other product and not copying any of the manufacturing process.

It's a public model on shapeways, please see the link from #6!

Coil is held in place with friction, no glue used so I can pull it out of that slot if needed.
PCB held with some double sided tape

Yes, how I put the parts together is nowhere near professional :silly: but good enough for personal use :)

Last edited:
Reactions: vn800art

Deeco7

Jul 12, 2010
Wow, very nice! Looks like a premium build, maybe you should start selling these...I'd pre-order. :D

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
Wow..excellent work! Might I inquire as to what battery app that is in the Result pic?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dec 7, 2010
Calgary / Taipei
Wow, it is a pretty cool product. Any thought on heat sinking?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

I don't think that's required? Is there any wireless charger out there that comes with a heatsink? :eek:

Wow..excellent work! Might I inquire as to what battery app that is in the Result pic?

that's battery widget reborn.

Seriously brilliant work!

Thanks!

THEindian

Nov 20, 2011
Hey guys, quick question(s)
1. Does wireless charging work with a case on? I have the ringke slim case, the one without the top and bottom of the phone covered.
2. Does anybody know of any online 3D printing solutions where i can send them the specs and they print it? The reason is i would like to modify it so, if i can charge w/case on, i can drop it in, no problems

Thanks majorly OP, seriously a superb job.

kodess

Jan 9, 2012
1. Does wireless charging work with a case on? I have the ringke slim case, the one without the top and bottom of the phone covered.
2. Does anybody know of any online 3D printing solutions where i can send them the specs and they print it? The reason is i would like to modify it so, if i can charge w/case on, i can drop it in, no problems

Wireless charging works with the Ringke Slim Case, I have it aswell.

Pretty sure you can modify it and let shapeways print it....
But it will probably still fit with the case.

Reactions: THEindian

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I prefer having my phone sitting up right, so here's what I did couple days ago :eek:

This is one of those cheap ebay Qi charging pad. Crack it open, move everything from here...
    IMG_5477.jpg

...to my 3D printed dock.
    IMG_5473.jpg

Slide coil in, PCB is held with double sided tape. Pretty straightforward.
    A bit of PCB is trimmed off to make space for the connector. I did cut off the speaker, it's too loud for me.
    IMG_5488.jpg

Messy inside but hey, you can't see them!
    IMG_5485.jpg

Result:
    IMG_2405.jpg

And the back:
    IMG_2407.jpg

I have my SKP (Google SketchUp) files attached below, feel free to use or modify! :cowboy:
    If you're actually going to send these files in for printing, make sure you double check all measurements!

-----EDIT-----
    It appears that some of you may be interested in making one. I just made this model public at Shapeways http://shpws.me/oi3O.
    This is designed to fit parts from "GMYLE (TM) Wireless Charging Pad Powermat Mat Charger". Other models may not fit and you'll have to modify.
    You can download the model and make the walls thinner, engrave some text/logo, etc. The less material the cheaper it is.

Putting it together is very straightforward once you have the parts in your hand and use the the pics above as references.
    great ! congrats

Hi
    just a quick message for congratulation.
    Your idea/project is definitely in the "hacker" set of mind.
    Use an existing product, open it, change the way to use it, create something new ... perfectly adapted to what you want.
    In the 3D printing trend we see today ... you're a precursor !
    thumbs up !

It's a public model on shapeways, please see the link from #6!

Coil is held in place with friction, no glue used so I can pull it out of that slot if needed.
    PCB held with some double sided tape

Yes, how I put the parts together is nowhere near professional :silly: but good enough for personal use :)

Wireless charging works with the Ringke Slim Case, I have it aswell.

Pretty sure you can modify it and let shapeways print it....
    But it will probably still fit with the case.
    I got a friend to print it out for me (using makerbot) but does not seem as nice as yours.... Any advice?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

I don't have any experience with makerbot. Perhaps sandblasting could smooth it out? Or I know shapeways use a tumbler machine for polishing, if you have access to one.