Question 3D printing?

Search This thread

razorseal

Oct 6, 2006
South FL
So just out of curiosity I've have been looking at couple 3D printers... They're outrageously expensive... Will they ever have affordable 3D printers for hoe use?

And people that own them... What can you make with them?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Reactions: wayne_1313

TJBunch1228

Feb 6, 2010
I would rather just buy a real hoe instead of printing one ;)

I'm sure in time the tech will advance enough to allow everyday folks to have one, but like all new technologies it will take a good while.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

him?

Jan 14, 2012
Halifax
3D printers are cool technology but not really designed for private use or mass production
most of them work by laying small strips of plastic and forming them together. These strips normally are all the same width (say you have a machine that prints a 1mm strip and you want a something to be printed at a width of 1.5 mm you going to get 1 or 2mm so these aren't necessarily that accurate)
Some high end machines solidify a jelly by crossing two lasers.

These printers are manly used as a engineering tool to print of a visual model of something you have designed on a 3D rendering program (pro E, solid edge...) It would only print off a solid prototype to help the design of the final product.

So unless some one fundamentally change the design I don't see a 3D printer being available to the public. The materials to make one normal sized print can cost $10-30. Plus it can take hours.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App

xilw3r

Dec 10, 2010
The fast forward 10 years is pretty cool. Nowadays we can get 3D printers for 300$ doing 0.2mm strips, and the material to make one print is below 1$. There hasn't been any major change to the technology, just continuous improvement.
Changes be coming. Closed loop control for extrusion, laser preheating, printer mechanical component health monitoring..

Jan 24, 2022
I agree with 3D printers being expensive but they are not easy to handle therefore the ones who can actually use them should buy them. It is also the upcoming technology therefore the chances of upgrading is there.

wayase8080

Feb 27, 2021
>They're outrageously expensive...
I guess that depends on one's definition of expensive. I believe you can buy and mod a very decent printer for around 250-270$, which is around the price, if not less, most people spend almost yearly for a new phone, and in comparison, a 3d printer is actually useful.

>And people that own them... What can you make with them?
Almost anything really. Print new things for your printer, print things to fix things around the house, print prototypes, print things for your car, print things to make some things easier, print a lot of holders for things, print niche things that you can't buy, print things for the garden, print adapters, print cases, print toys for kids, etc. If you can model, you can go all out. In the end they absolutely pay off, you learn to do more things yourself, be more self-sufficient, save money, and have fun!

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
I guess that depends on one's definition of expensive. I believe you can buy and mod a very decent printer for around 250-270$, which is around the price, if not less, most people spend almost yearly for a new phone, and in comparison, a 3d printer is actually useful.

Almost anything really. Print new things for your printer, print things to fix things around the house, print prototypes, print things for your car, print things to make some things easier, print a lot of holders for things, print niche things that you can't buy, print things for the garden, print adapters, print cases, print toys for kids, etc. If you can model, you can go all out. In the end they absolutely pay off, you learn to do more things yourself, be more self-sufficient, save money, and have fun!
I repair things where are no spare parts available. I build things which you can't buy :)

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
I figured this would be a great place to ask about 3D printing Star Wars Clone Helmets. I have been looking into purchasing a printer to expand my helmet collection as well as other props and wondered what advice anyone could give. My budget is around $1,000 and I would like to print the helmets in one print. I know nothing about 3D printing but am eager to learn. I would prefer something that will work well out of the box but I also don't mind doing modifications. Thanks!
Printing such helmets in one print won't work due to the details and complexity. You have to print several parts and put them together.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The fast forward 10 years is pretty cool. Nowadays we can get 3D printers for 300$ doing 0.2mm strips, and the material to make one print is below 1$. There hasn't been any major change to the technology, just continuous improvement.
    3D printers are cool technology but not really designed for private use or mass production
    most of them work by laying small strips of plastic and forming them together. These strips normally are all the same width (say you have a machine that prints a 1mm strip and you want a something to be printed at a width of 1.5 mm you going to get 1 or 2mm so these aren't necessarily that accurate)
    Some high end machines solidify a jelly by crossing two lasers.

These printers are manly used as a engineering tool to print of a visual model of something you have designed on a 3D rendering program (pro E, solid edge...) It would only print off a solid prototype to help the design of the final product.

So unless some one fundamentally change the design I don't see a 3D printer being available to the public. The materials to make one normal sized print can cost $10-30. Plus it can take hours.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App

I figured this would be a great place to ask about 3D printing Star Wars Clone Helmets. I have been looking into purchasing a printer to expand my helmet collection as well as other props and wondered what advice anyone could give. My budget is around $1,000 and I would like to print the helmets in one print. I know nothing about 3D printing but am eager to learn. I would prefer something that will work well out of the box but I also don't mind doing modifications. Thanks!
    Printing such helmets in one print won't work due to the details and complexity. You have to print several parts and put them together.
    I would rather just buy a real hoe instead of printing one ;)

I'm sure in time the tech will advance enough to allow everyday folks to have one, but like all new technologies it will take a good while.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App