• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

3G speed on O2 128k or 384k

Search This thread

frogspit

Jun 24, 2005
Manchester
This will apply to some people as they may already be set up for the higher speed with O2.

To have the 3G speed increased you will need to contact O2 data support team and ask them to make the amendment to your account the following is information about the 3G service from data support

"3G Speeds - 128k or 384k
By default a 3G sim with data but no voice will have a maximim of 384k data rate. By default a 3G sim with data + voice will have a maximum of 128k data rate.
Therefore a 3G data card for a laptop will come with a 384k sim. And Xda Exec for example, will come with a 128k speed sim"
The speed increase can be completed by changing the connection speed indicator on O2's systems this will need to be done by data support

mikeycollins13

Aug 14, 2003
London
You are 100% Correct

Just spoke to O2 Data support, who barely knew it, and they confirmed:
All Voice 3G cards are defaulted to 128K
You need to call and ask to have that moved up to 384K.
Rather stupid don't you think?

Southern_Man

Oct 26, 2003
Wellington
Re: You are 100% Correct

mikeycollins13 said:
Just spoke to O2 Data support, who barely knew it, and they confirmed:
All Voice 3G cards are defaulted to 128K
You need to call and ask to have that moved up to 384K.
Rather stupid don't you think?

Imagine if every 3G sim ever sent requests 384k service. On a typical 2meg cell, that's about 4 users.

No imagine even 10% of the 3G wap handsets doing this. 384k to download 2kb pages? insane network management.

The actions of the many affect the services of the few.... and it's nuts to give everyone 384 when 99.9% of your customer base won't use it.

I believe other carriers have a similar approach...

mikeycollins13

Aug 14, 2003
London
Yes, but it's blatently dis-honest to advertise 384k and 128

They are are just opening themselves to a major law suit or slap on the wrist. Everywhere they advertise 384k, yet even the video calls pass at 128K,???? So now, nine and my wife's will pass at 384K
Much better,. but dis-honest from o2 for sure,

stamppot

Sep 27, 2005
Enschede
Re: Yes, but it's blatently dis-honest to advertise 384k and

mikeycollins13 said:
They are are just opening themselves to a major law suit or slap on the wrist. Everywhere they advertise 384k, yet even the video calls pass at 128K,???? So now, nine and my wife's will pass at 384K
Much better,. but dis-honest from o2 for sure,
Not to be picky, but video-calling does not use the 384Kb at all. It is using a standard voice-channel for this (it is circuit-switched, instead of packet data). A standard voice-channel is 64Kbit.... :)

jah

Oct 12, 2005
UK
I called the the O2 Data Team at the weekend I was told that the maximum speed I could expect even on UMTS was 128kbps!

For those that have been told that the data rate has been changed have you seen an improved performance? When I do have a UMTS connection I find the download speed to be adequate for most web sites I visit (e.g. here and my-symbian).

haardman

Jan 26, 2005
I've just called Data Services, and been told it is not possible to upgrade the speed to 384k if you have a voice enabled sim.
He was willing to send me out a data-only sim (with 384k enabled), but I said that was useless to me.
Can't believe that's as fast as I'm going to get on 3G.

Is it just me, or does browsing feel slower than 36k most of the time?

mikeycollins13

Aug 14, 2003
London
That seems wrong to me

The technician was not aware and then he saw it and said he needed a special tech guy to turn it on, but it was doable. My advice try again, you may fall on a more cooperative fellah.
M

haardman

Jan 26, 2005
Just picking myself up off the floor here.....the same O2 Tech Support guy just phoned me back!! Told me he had done further investigation and was told that it is possible with the Exec (there's a surprise, not like O2 to tell you one thing, and then find out it is blatantly untrue).
Anyway he is making the change, but says that I shouldn't expect speeds much above 256k.

The technical term (as frogspit originally posted) is a 'Speed Indicator', mentioning that should get your uneducated O2 Technician pointed in the right direction.

Top marks to the guy for phoning me back though.

xiasma

Aug 13, 2005
I'm in a good (T mobile) GPRS location and borderline UMTS area. My test results are:

[drum roll]

CARRIER LOST, SIGNAL DROPPED :roll:

Any way to turn off 3g signal detection?

applecom

Jun 26, 2003
Kent
I use the GPRS monitor program that came with the Exec, and a week or 2 ago i looked at the speed and it was 220k.

even tho this is over the 128k for a 3g sim i rang o2 as well to ask for the full 384k connection.

at first i was told that for mobile web on a device (i.e a phone) the speed id 128k, a video call is 64k and Wap was 125k, If i had a data sim in a data card it would be 384k.

after they gave me a load of bull sh1t, and i gave them plenty back about my data card and when i use my orange sim in the exec, bla bla bla. They said they would lok into it and see what they could do

they did call me back and again said web brousing for a typical device nokia 6680 would use 3g at 128k but i could have the speed upgraded to 384k as a exec is a mobile device but has properties of a laptop.

They then called back to say it seems like it has already been done. for witch i said thanks, they must be correct as i have got 220k befor, i have just tried again with 1-2 of of 4 bars of 3g coverage and got 281k

John

Webspider

Dec 19, 2004
jah,
You'll need a copy of pvPlayer to play the mobile stream (available somewhere on this forum - just search).
Also you need to make sure you have the correct settings for Vodafone Live!
APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
and the proxy: 212.183.137.12:8799 for HTTP

You also need to make sure that this is connection that gets used for Internet.
Now, here's where you can make a choice. For Vodafone Live! WAP page to think you are a 3G mobile, you have to fool it into believing you are an 'approved' handset.
So you can do this by changing the useragent on your browser, either IE or another browser.

For internet explorer, the registry key to change is:
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\]
and change (Default) to 'Nokia6630' (you can try other handsets, but this one seems to work fine)
all the other values such as compatible, Desc, Platform, UA-language, Version need to be blanked so I'd take a backup.
In fact if you do a .reg for the normal settings, and another for the changed settings you can just run one before you open IE.

Once you've changed these settings, connect to Vodafone Live! (make sure you are in UMTS coverage) and goto: http://live.vodafone.co.uk
There should be a link at the top right for Sky TV (test it with Channel 4 first, sometimes there is an issue with the Sky channels!) and as long as pvPlayer installed correctly, it should automatically load the stream on clicking Play.

Alternatively, I have NetFront setup on mine, and have the useragent settings changed in that, only difference is that pvPlayer won't auto-load from netfront so you'll have to copy and paste the link into pvPlayer!
(make sure you also include the proxy in NetFront or nothing will load)

mburgin

Dec 9, 2005
Manchester
Thanks, Webspider. That was very useful informatin on getting the Vodafone live TV to work. Unfortunately I have hit a snag that perhaps someone can help with.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of PvPlayer that I could find on this forum (Version 3.3, build 007) but it does not seem to be able to play the streaming video on the Vodafone live site.

When I click on one of the links to play the video I get an error saying "Running a system command on this item might be unsafe. Do you wish to continue". If I say Yes, I get a message saying "The file rtsp://stream...... cannot be opened". It seems to me that the PvPlayer hasn't properly registered itself to handle this file type.

I have tried copying the link into PvPlayer. In this case, it very nearly works! It goes through the buffering process but when it gets to 100% it says "File is corrupt".

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Mark