3T battery has 20% less battery capacity [2742mAh instead of 3400mAh]

Search This thread

Triversity

Dec 24, 2010
So I've noticed that my 3T battery has about 20% less battery capacity than advertised.

And I've used an external amperemeter to measure the capacity. I've let the phone turn off und charged it while being off until no current was flowing anymore. Here is a picture of the result:
2742mAh!

The thing is that I have found another person that used the exact same amperemeter and measured the same way. https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70254148&postcount=344
His result: 3339mAh which is much closer to the advertised number and would be absolutely acceptable.

So either I'm very unlucky with a bad battery or the batteries have such huge capacity fluctuations.
I've contacted OnePlus, but currently they deny that there is anything wrong with it. They said they'll forward it to their engineering, which basically means they don't care. (If they did they would get ahold of my device and see what's wrong with it)

So I urge more people to measure their phones capacity to see if there is something wrong with it. 20% less capacity is not acceptable in my opinion.
Search for "USB amperemeter" if you want to find the same device or something similar to what I used.

Attachments

• IMG_20161225_200359_495.jpg
    IMG_20161225_200359_495.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 5,140
Reactions: Davx19 and J's
D

Deleted member 384713

Lipo voltage is 3,7V
Maybe you need to convert your results to this valtage.

Reactions: jnclocker

eddymonti

Nov 1, 2010
Lisbon
I use accuBattery and the best read I had on charging was 3,250mAh. But I can see the missing 150mAh being in below 0% battery cause I've found that it still has battery below that (I was able to completely discharge it which was below the android shut off point, with a trick, but I don't recommend doing it).
So ye, I think mine is close to the 3,400 value give or take a tiny bit (at least 3,300).

NoLunchBox_

May 17, 2011
Boston
My battery reads 3211mAh on Accubattery. Not sure how accurate this is though but I guess it's okay since I've charged it to 100% a couple times. Not sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170108-222954.png
    Screenshot_20170108-222954.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 3,458

cethafralo

Jan 9, 2017
Hi I have the same measuring device as you posted and mine records 3087mah from a powered off 0-100% charge.

Using the same device to measure my old worn out nexus5 and the result was very close to the spec capacity, surprisingly little battery capacity lost due to age.

For me I bought the 3T for the increased battery compared to the 3. Batteries wear out over time I paid extra to have more to work with long term.

So while my numbers are better than OP's I'm unhappy too, I may as well saved the £80 and bought the 3000mah 3.

Edit: The Accubattery battery app says I have 94% battery health, I have been running it for a couple of weeks

cethafralo

Jan 9, 2017
I would not expect software based measurement to be accurate, though it is interesting many of us are seeing 94-95% "health".

The OP and I have used an actual hardware based measuring device, while cheap (couple of bucks on eBay - search for USB doctor) its meant to be relatively accurate and the model pictured apparently comes pre-calibrated from the factory.

OcazPrime

Mar 30, 2016
the app kernel adiutor tells you your used mah in your battery. for most phones the mah a phone can use from its battery is about 92-95% if its labeled capacity.
Also u should trust your phone's system apps. Tools can always have those problems or calibrations. Use something like CPU-Z to check your phone specs. Your phone knows better than an external tool.

ariesfung11

Oct 17, 2010
Mine also 3000 mah in CPU-Z.....

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Just check on the internet, it said the CPU-Z is not updated the information, please try another to check it.

smilirulz

Aug 6, 2014
Im pretty sure that 5% battery is kept for clock and other stuff that needs battery ( just my oppinion ). Anyway, getting 1,5 days of battery is more than enough for me + the amazing dash charging which does the job pretty well, they could take 50% of the battery, if i'm still getting these results. Also,with nougat, things are getting better and better for me.

ludester

Nov 22, 2007
Toronto
if this device sits in between the charger and the phone, use a regular charger instead of the dash charger to see if it makes a difference. Dash charger may be messing with your device.

B3501

Mar 4, 2015
This kind of worries me as I've come from a 6P which had battery shut downs at 20%+ because of fast degradation, losing 1000mAh in a year. Hope this isn't a side effect of fast charging?

Triversity

Dec 24, 2010
Guys, please don't post those software calculations here, they are not accurate.

Use an external measuring device. Like this https://www.amazon.com/PowerJive-Voltage-Multimeter-chargers-capacity/dp/B013FANC9W
Let the device turn off due to low battery, then charge while the phone is off until current stays at 0.

if this device sits in between the charger and the phone, use a regular charger instead of the dash charger to see if it makes a difference. Dash charger may be messing with your device.
I did.

prellele

Jan 13, 2017
prellele.de
I would not expect software based measurement to be accurate, though it is interesting many of us are seeing 94-95% "health".

The OP and I have used an actual hardware based measuring device, while cheap (couple of bucks on eBay - search for USB doctor) its meant to be relatively accurate and the model pictured apparently comes pre-calibrated from the factory.

Just purchased that doctor :) I'll tell my measurements when this thing arrives.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another one...
    Why not just discuss in a civil manner and provide explanation why you think this is not valid. You've provided absolutely zero information and just insults. Your parents didn't do a very good job.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    So I've noticed that my 3T battery has about 20% less battery capacity than advertised.

And I've used an external amperemeter to measure the capacity. I've let the phone turn off und charged it while being off until no current was flowing anymore. Here is a picture of the result:
    2742mAh!

The thing is that I have found another person that used the exact same amperemeter and measured the same way. https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70254148&postcount=344
    His result: 3339mAh which is much closer to the advertised number and would be absolutely acceptable.

So either I'm very unlucky with a bad battery or the batteries have such huge capacity fluctuations.
    I've contacted OnePlus, but currently they deny that there is anything wrong with it. They said they'll forward it to their engineering, which basically means they don't care. (If they did they would get ahold of my device and see what's wrong with it)

So I urge more people to measure their phones capacity to see if there is something wrong with it. 20% less capacity is not acceptable in my opinion.
    Search for "USB amperemeter" if you want to find the same device or something similar to what I used.
    You should keep battery level between 20-80%, if you want to keep your battery healthy.. Sometimes its ok to charge fully and let it discharge allmost empty, that calibrates battery..
    I think new batyery should be around 3100 capacity..
    Dont know whay is 200 less..

I remember a thread on here a few years back (seems like ancient times in smartphone terms - but battery technology for these devices hasn't changed much in that time). The user did a bunch of testing on both OEM batteries, as well as supposed "high capacity" batteries from reputable (on XDA) third party vendors.

Across the board, there was a significant failure of the batteries to have the rated capacity, at least to any consistent degree. The OEM batteries were better (more consistent) than the 3rd party ones. Sometimes had the rated capacity, sometimes missed it by some mAh. The 3rd party vendor batteries often failed to not only achieve the "higher" mAh rating; but even in many cases failed to meet the "standard" mAh rating of the original OEM batteries.

I know we aren't specifically talking about 3rd party batteries here. But the point being, the OEM battery rating seems to be a best case scenario, unfortunately. With the actual capacity often failing to meet the advertised capacity. Feels like false advertising to some degree.
    R u rooted? Pl. details yours setting/mod/os.

Nope not yet rooted, im using dark mode theme recommended for amoled , im not using the FB app instead only chrome browser, then wifi instead of data connection.