4/19/2017 [] 7.1.1 UPDATE [] HTC 10 (msm 8996) [] CPU, VM, RAM, IO "Tune"

Search This thread

warBeard_actual

Mar 27, 2016
ORIGINAL THREAD HERE: https://xdaforums.com/axon-7/development/2-15-2017-axon-7-msm-8996-cpu-vm-ram-t3557392

This mod was originally created for the Axon 7, but due to several requests, I've modified a version for the HTC 10, please see below, and post questions or comments in the original thread above. Please state you are a HTC 10 user if you have feedback in that thread, to consolidate user feedback and speed up response time.

Custom tuning for a device is always a necessity. "Canned" settings will get you by, but they are certainly never optimized for a specific device. In fact, Linux typically takes a general approach to find harmonic balance in default settings that will, for the most part, work in an acceptable manner for just about any device. There are a lot of resources available on this device, so we should utilize it in a manner appropriate to squeeze out as much battery life and performance as possible without sacrificing much of those outputs, don't you think? This is going to fix that for you.

Here is what is required of you before you begin:
1. Must be rooted
2. Must have the HTC 10 OR a device running the Snapdragon 820, as this modification is not so much device specific, but hardware specific. The important aspect being the snapdragon 820 and the RAM disk size.
3. Must have write protection disabled. If the HTC 10 requires write protection to be disabled, see the code and instruction below:
Using adb shell:
Code:
adb reboot disemmcwp
Using Linux terminal (from your phone, for example):
Code:
reboot disemmcwp

Let's begin.

Getting right to it, here's what I've done:

- modified parameters of the interactive governor, and quite extensively at that (search some of my threads if you want a little bit of a breakdown of the general approach I take)
- reconfigured input_boost parameters
- reconfigured vm parameters (again, the device has a lot of RAM resource, this will utilize it and give you a far better user experience. Basically, I've adjusted dirty_ratio, dirty_background_ratio, swappiness, and other parameters of the virtual machine.)
- disabled zRAM for 6 GB variants (RAM compression, again, not needed on this device really, this mod will save you CPU cycles and power) this will not apply to HTC 10 users, you will still have zRAM enabled.
- remapped minfree parameters for LMK (low memory killer) again only for 6 GB variants
- Tuned CFQ scheduler for flash storage devices
- Tuned "core_ctl" module (needs kernel support, I recommend freeza's latest version of BeastMode. For those wondering, yes, you can still use this mod with the stock kernel. It won't break anything.) again this will only apply to devices that support core_ctl at the kernel.

In a nutshell, that's what we're looking at here. I can guarantee you this will have a significantly positive impact on your device. Turbo time, homies.

How to install????

Easy. First, the file we are replacing is found in /system/etc... it is the "init.qcom.post_boot.sh" file - this file is basically shell scripts, which are applied at boot via this particular shell file.

All you have to do is download the file to your device, open up a file explorer (must have root capability), navigate to the /system/etc folder with said file explorer, mount your /system as RW (read write), delete your stock "init.qcom.post_boot.sh" file, and replace it with mine.

After you've successfully done this, change the new file's permissions to rw-r--r-- (0644), and then reboot!

Or, if you are brave, you can do it manually via a terminal app and get your fingers wet... if you choose to do that, see below:

Make sure the file is located on the root of your internal sdcard in /sdcard, open your terminal app (again, must have root) and type the following commands, hitting enter after each one (be careful to pay attention to the spacing).

Code:
su
Code:
cd /
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
Code:
cd /system/etc
Code:
rm init.qcom.post_boot.sh
Code:
cd /sdcard
Code:
mv init.qcom.post_boot.sh /system/etc
Code:
chmod 0644 /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

I don't want credit, don't need you to give or offer donations, this is purely for the community in the spirit of Linux ideology. All I ask is for you to hit the thanks button :good:

That's pretty much it, guys. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2014
ORIGINAL THREAD HERE: https://xdaforums.com/axon-7/development/2-15-2017-axon-7-msm-8996-cpu-vm-ram-t3557392

Hello everyone, I would like to provide this mod to the HTC 10. If somebody could grab me the STOCK file: init.qcom.post_boot.sh found in /system/etc I will modify it for you guys and post it here with instructions on how to install.

It will provide you a good boost in battery life without sacrificing performance.

Thanks!
Thanksss :angel:

warBeard_actual

Mar 27, 2016
Hey guys, file is up, with instruction on how to install.

There were actually a lot of typos in the stock file from HTC :rolleyes:

I cleaned up the file from redundancy, fixed a few things while adding my modifications to the file. For those wondering, YES the file is supposed to much smaller as a lot of unneeded code was removed that was specific for other SoC's.

Enjoy, feedback is welcome, but I can guarantee your experience will be postive results.

Mike Grace

Sep 7, 2016

I cleaned up the file from redundancy, fixed a few things while adding my modifications to the file. For those wondering, YES the file is supposed to much smaller as a lot of unneeded code was removed that was specific for other SoC's.

Enjoy, feedback is welcome, but I can guarantee your experience will be postive results.

"The file we are replacing is found in /system/etc... it is the "init.qcom.post_boot.sh" file - this file is basically shell scripts, which are applied at boot via this particular shell file" - I could not find this file in /system/etc... Does the type of rom that I'm running matter. currently running ResurrectionRemix 5.8.3 (7.1.2) w/ tabp0le kernel

warBeard_actual

Mar 27, 2016
"The file we are replacing is found in /system/etc... it is the "init.qcom.post_boot.sh" file - this file is basically shell scripts, which are applied at boot via this particular shell file" - I could not find this file in /system/etc... Does the type of rom that I'm running matter. currently running ResurrectionRemix 5.8.3 (7.1.2) w/ tabp0le kernel

Well, I should have probably told you that CM-based ROMs don't have this file. Lol.

If you are an experienced user, you can add this to init.d

MrRob0t

Oct 2, 2016
Well, I should have probably told you that CM-based ROMs don't have this file. Lol.

If you are an experienced user, you can add this to init.d

I'm not an "experienced user" per-say but basically we take your edited init.qcom.post_boot.sh file and move into init.d (I'm on LOS ROM) folder and re-name and set permissions correctly?
I have re-named to 01init.qcom.post_boot

I'll upload a screenshot shortly to show what I have done.
Also, will it matter the kernel and write protection?
I'm assuming that I don't need to bother with it since I was able to move and edit this file?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170420-125642.png
    Screenshot_20170420-125642.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

warBeard_actual

Mar 27, 2016
I'm not an "experienced user" per-say but basically we take your edited init.qcom.post_boot.sh file and move into init.d (I'm on LOS ROM) folder and re-name and set permissions correctly?
I have re-named to 01init.qcom.post_boot

I'll upload a screenshot shortly to show what I have done.
Also, will it matter the kernel and write protection?
I'm assuming that I don't need to bother with it since I was able to move and edit this file?

Yep, should be good. Make sure you leave your original stock file in /system/etc however... and line out any conflicting code in that stock file.

init.d loads during boot, as opposed to post boot, so any conflicting code with be overwritten after the .sh file executes (around the time you start seeing your lock screen)

Mike Grace

Sep 7, 2016
Yep, should be good. Make sure you leave your original stock file in /system/etc however... and line out any conflicting code in that stock file.

init.d loads during boot, as opposed to post boot, so any conflicting code with be overwritten after the .sh file executes (around the time you start seeing your lock screen)

Original stock file. Does that mean the file that you edited or do i need to put the original file that was not edited. Using los based rom so original doesn't exist. Thank you

warBeard_actual

Mar 27, 2016
Original stock file. Does that mean the file that you edited or do i need to put the original file that was not edited. Using los based rom so original doesn't exist. Thank you

Using LOS, you're good to go, as the file doesn't exist in /system/etc

Toss it in /system/etc/init.d and remove the .sh extension, good to go.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This mod was originally created for the Axon 7, but due to several requests, I've modified a version for the HTC 10, please see below, and post questions or comments in the original thread above. Please state you are a HTC 10 user if you have feedback in that thread, to consolidate user feedback and speed up response time.

Custom tuning for a device is always a necessity. "Canned" settings will get you by, but they are certainly never optimized for a specific device. In fact, Linux typically takes a general approach to find harmonic balance in default settings that will, for the most part, work in an acceptable manner for just about any device. There are a lot of resources available on this device, so we should utilize it in a manner appropriate to squeeze out as much battery life and performance as possible without sacrificing much of those outputs, don't you think? This is going to fix that for you.

Here is what is required of you before you begin:
    1. Must be rooted
    2. Must have the HTC 10 OR a device running the Snapdragon 820, as this modification is not so much device specific, but hardware specific. The important aspect being the snapdragon 820 and the RAM disk size.
    3. Must have write protection disabled. If the HTC 10 requires write protection to be disabled, see the code and instruction below:
    Using adb shell:
    Code:
    adb reboot disemmcwp
    Using Linux terminal (from your phone, for example):
    Code:
    reboot disemmcwp

Let's begin.

Getting right to it, here's what I've done:

- modified parameters of the interactive governor, and quite extensively at that (search some of my threads if you want a little bit of a breakdown of the general approach I take)
    - reconfigured input_boost parameters
    - reconfigured vm parameters (again, the device has a lot of RAM resource, this will utilize it and give you a far better user experience. Basically, I've adjusted dirty_ratio, dirty_background_ratio, swappiness, and other parameters of the virtual machine.)
    - disabled zRAM for 6 GB variants (RAM compression, again, not needed on this device really, this mod will save you CPU cycles and power) this will not apply to HTC 10 users, you will still have zRAM enabled.
    - remapped minfree parameters for LMK (low memory killer) again only for 6 GB variants
    - Tuned CFQ scheduler for flash storage devices
    - Tuned "core_ctl" module (needs kernel support, I recommend freeza's latest version of BeastMode. For those wondering, yes, you can still use this mod with the stock kernel. It won't break anything.) again this will only apply to devices that support core_ctl at the kernel.

In a nutshell, that's what we're looking at here. I can guarantee you this will have a significantly positive impact on your device. Turbo time, homies.

How to install????

Easy. First, the file we are replacing is found in /system/etc... it is the "init.qcom.post_boot.sh" file - this file is basically shell scripts, which are applied at boot via this particular shell file.

All you have to do is download the file to your device, open up a file explorer (must have root capability), navigate to the /system/etc folder with said file explorer, mount your /system as RW (read write), delete your stock "init.qcom.post_boot.sh" file, and replace it with mine.

After you've successfully done this, change the new file's permissions to rw-r--r-- (0644), and then reboot!

Or, if you are brave, you can do it manually via a terminal app and get your fingers wet... if you choose to do that, see below:

Make sure the file is located on the root of your internal sdcard in /sdcard, open your terminal app (again, must have root) and type the following commands, hitting enter after each one (be careful to pay attention to the spacing).

Code:
    su
    Code:
    cd /
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    Code:
    cd /system/etc
    Code:
    rm init.qcom.post_boot.sh
    Code:
    cd /sdcard
    Code:
    mv init.qcom.post_boot.sh /system/etc
    Code:
    chmod 0644 /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

I don't want credit, don't need you to give or offer donations, this is purely for the community in the spirit of Linux ideology. All I ask is for you to hit the thanks button :good:

That's pretty much it, guys. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD

Aloha,
    Just to be clear.. So if I download this zip and flash through TWRP I will be on 7.1? I'm currently on stock with Majestic.

Mahalo

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

No
    Read the OP
    I little bit more tuning can't be wrong I guess. Here you go. Just uploaded the respective file needed to do the trick.
    I little bit more tuning can't be wrong I guess. Here you go. Just uploaded the respective file needed to do the trick.

I'll have this done tomorrow night. Thanks for getting me the file