4.2 for Verizon galaxy nexus.

Search This thread

wavedashdoc

Mar 9, 2011
I think the updated radios affect depends on what hardware revision you have and where your phone was made. My first GN was made in China and had the radio revision 10 at the end. This particular unit was not able to stay connected to 4g for more than 3 min, constant drop calls and what not. Returned the next day. Second brand new phone was made in Korea and had the revision 09. And with every radio update since it's had better battery life and no signal loss. Now I could just be speculating but that's my 2 cents.

veritas718b

Mar 5, 2013
Just a question while we are all losing it in anticipation...

I am, like everyone else, seriously excited about getting this ota. I am excited for the 4.2 features we're getting, but then again we've all had them for months now. Really, at the end of the day, like others, I am mostly looking forward to the new radios.

But I'm not sure why. The first set of radios we got out of the box were awful. So bad that I was just about to return it and save my upgrade for the S3. But then things got a bit better with the first 4.04 leak, much better with the final 4.04 radios, and really since 4.1.1 I've had absolutely no reason to complain. But still I can't wait for the new radios. Does this sound familiar to anyone and if so can someone explain to me what I am excited for?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

for some reason (but i think its just my area new england) when I switch to a 4.2 rom i get weaker signal but when i switch back to a 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 rom i get full 4g no dips into 3g. i'm running a 4.2 rom and where i am i used to get 3 bars of 4g but now i just have 2 of 3g

kake

Aug 11, 2009
See, that's interesting. I've had the exact opposite experience with the radios. Though I totally agree slot about battery on stock

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

im not sure. ive flashed back to stock 4.1.1 like 2 times(cause im a rom whore) so can you have a "bad" radio flash? ive never heard of it but anything is possible on these things

JHadley

Oct 17, 2011
Detroit
I think the updated radios affect depends on what hardware revision you have and where your phone was made. My first GN was made in China and had the radio revision 10 at the end. This particular unit was not able to stay connected to 4g for more than 3 min, constant drop calls and what not. Returned the next day. Second brand new phone was made in Korea and had the revision 09. And with every radio update since it's had better battery life and no signal loss. Now I could just be speculating but that's my 2 cents.

My first GNEX was HW version 09 and it constantly dropped the full signal. My CLN replacement is HW version 10 and most radios have worked very well. There was one set of "leaked" radios though that had my data bouncing between 3G and 4G constantly. It was a battery killer! All of the official radios have been great. We have to remember though that while it's likely this combo will be what Verizon approves, they could still change a few things before we get the official OTA.

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
for some reason (but i think its just my area new england) when I switch to a 4.2 rom i get weaker signal but when i switch back to a 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 rom i get full 4g no dips into 3g. i'm running a 4.2 rom and where i am i used to get 3 bars of 4g but now i just have 2 of 3g
I've posted about why this is a while back when 4.2 first released. Looking directly at the code, it's just a change in how they report signal. The actual dBm, which what should be read when testing signal, didn't change from 4.1 to 4.2 but only what signal ranges were assigned a certain number of bars and how the number of bars were calculated from signal.

In short, the signal didn't change from 4.1 to 4.2.

Not sure how 3g/4g handoff would be affected. That should only be controlled by the radio firmware and nothing in the ROM.

Reactions: stuckintheskull

Flapjack

Aug 17, 2007
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've had the best luck with the FA02 radio. It's the only one where hands-free bluetooth calling has been usable. The newer radios have a warbly screechy sound in the background... like electromagnetic interference.

veritas718b

Mar 5, 2013
I've posted about why this is a while back when 4.2 first released. Looking directly at the code, it's just a change in how they report signal. The actual dBm, which what should be read when testing signal, didn't change from 4.1 to 4.2 but only what signal ranges were assigned a certain number of bars and how the number of bars were calculated from signal.

In short, the signal didn't change from 4.1 to 4.2.

Not sure how 3g/4g handoff would be affected. That should only be controlled by the radio firmware and nothing in the ROM.

I figured maybe there was something within the rom making it funky because my friend running cm10.1 was getting atleast 1 to 2 bars more then me and were on the same network and same 4.2.2. but it was just an observation.

kake

Aug 11, 2009
i guess this thread stalled out until we get word from oldblue or el madhatter:confused:

JHadley

Oct 17, 2011
Detroit
I'm gonna call it a night, have to get up early in the morning. Thanks for the continued efforts gents...they've been on it for nearly two hours now. Sounds like the environment is less than ideal, so I'm sure they're getting pretty frustrated. We all really appreciate it!!!

JPBeard21

Aug 19, 2008
Lacombe, LA

Top Liked Posts