4.3 official AT&T update

Search This thread

sandman7793

Apr 24, 2012
Naples
www.infinitygigabyte.com
There use to be multiple leaked versions of software updates before the final was pushed out by AT&T. Now, you are lucky to get one leaked version pre-release. This is important because the early leaks were used to sort out issues and create fixes for firmwares. And believe me, Samsung watched very closely to see how things went. I can remember several times that fixes came right here from XDA (though Samsung would never officially admit to it). Now, AT&T (mostly to blame) has become so arrogant with their locked-down bootloaders and full control that proper testing is hard to do. Leaked firmware is drying up and little attention is paid to the advancements that the Devs make to the firmware. AT&T officials have their heads so far up their own butts that hey don't even listen to the warnings people make when they do get to use leaked firmware. They care more about complete control than they do about releasing a quality product. What better a test market could there be except the people at XDA? The end result is what you see happening now.

Man isn't that the truth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
Shoot. I updated my wife's phone and it is having some of the aforementioned issues. I dont know what to do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Call AT&T and complain until they do something for you. They screwed up the OTA and your wife's phone, they need to do something about it.

Man isn't that the truth.

Each "leaked" pre-release would get a little better until the "final" was released with nearly no issues. It was funny to watch. A leaked version was released, people flashed it, identified issues, and the Devs improved it. The next leaked version would include the fixes that came from XDA and the cycle would repeat (usually several times) until the final firmware was released. That just doesn't happen any more.

LZLandingZone

Mar 2, 2011
There use to be multiple leaked versions of software updates before the final was pushed out by AT&T. Now, you are lucky to get one leaked version pre-release. This is important because the early leaks were used to sort out issues and create fixes for firmwares. And believe me, Samsung watched very closely to see how things went. I can remember several times that fixes came right here from XDA (though Samsung would never officially admit to it). Now, AT&T (mostly to blame) has become so arrogant with their locked-down bootloaders and full control that proper testing is hard to do. Leaked firmware is drying up and little attention is paid to the advancements that the Devs make to the firmware. AT&T officials have their heads so far up their own butts that hey don't even listen to the warnings people make when they do get to use leaked firmware. They care more about complete control than they do about releasing a quality product. What better a test market could there be except the people at XDA? The end result is what you see happening now.

I remember having a Samsung Moment on Sprint years ago. Now, the Samsung Moment was the first Android phone on Sprint, and my god was it terrible. I was a member of SDX Developers, which was like XDA, only for Samsung. The phone had issues Samsung and Sprint ignored, until the FCC fined Sprint when someone tried to call 911, but couldn't, because the phone would randomly go into airplane mode and lock up. Naturally, the person who was dialing for emergency help, brought this forward to the FCC, and Sprint pulled the phone before it hit its one year mark. The only way to fix the phone, was to literally root it and modify it, and the only fixes you could get were literally from the users, not even from the company who made the phone in the first place.

rbedell

Jul 22, 2012
Do you think we could get mdl phones if we complained enough to att? This would be awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Planktron

Sep 9, 2012
Tampa, FL
After getting a refurb and giving back my lokiable phone and taking this update the only issue I've noticed is poor cellular data connectivity. Got one Knox warning, security policy updated without a hitch and haven't seen it since.

Anyway it doesn't matter. Frig AT&T.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

galaxyjeff

Aug 31, 2010
Akron
I think it's working great. The ones having problems are people who have low tech savvy skills. With people complaining so much no wonder the carriers never update their phones.

Reactions: troybklyn

[email protected]

Jan 4, 2009
Corona, CA - Murfreesboro, TN
I think it's working great. The ones having problems are people who have low tech savvy skills. With people complaining so much no wonder the carriers never update their phones.

I flashed it fine using the mj6-mj9 guide and haven't had any problems yet except when I tried to flash Knox app on it. I'm rooted so all I got were FC's but I used TiBu to uninstall it and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

atistang

Feb 1, 2010
The only issue I have had is lookout draining my battery (turned that off now) and sometimes texts take a while to go through

jdivince

Dec 8, 2012
I got the update OTA friday before they halted. Only issue I've seen is the knox security warning coming up every time I toggle on wifi. Other than that nothing's been noticeable enough for me to see a real difference. Not rooted, btw.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011

You can't be serious? Just because you're not having a problem doesn't mean there is not a problem in general. Carriers don't Holt updates just because people are not tech savvy enough to use them, they holt up dates because they are defective. These problems have been widely reported and just because they don't effect your phone doesn't mean they don't exist.

Reactions: jt1998

drichter12

Jan 9, 2008
Dallas
Shoot. I updated my wife's phone and it is having some of the aforementioned issues. I dont know what to do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
I have not experienced all of the issues listed but have had a few since upgrading on the 13th. At first everything seemed to be fine and then started getting the security warning but after the first day I have not received it again. The day after my upgrade, I started noticing my phone was running hot (during the day I leave my phone in a dock whenever I'm at my desk just to keep the charge topped off). I started looking at the battery stats and found that lookout had been running non-stop so I went into application manager and turned the app off. This seemed to help for a few hours but then the phone started getting hot again and I was unable to directly link it to anything other than a wakelock condition. I turned the phone off and then removed the battery for a few minutes and then restarted the phone. I have not had any problems since 11/15 and battery stays at around 3.4% discharge per hour now (was running at 34.7% before).

I was on OTA MF3 but rooted prior to the MJ9 upgrade. I could not get the device to upgrade until I wiped the phone and reloaded MF3 via ODIN but everything went smooth after that.

Hope this helps,

krips2003

Sep 27, 2009
Louisville
I'm seeing some issues with the new update. The first and foremost, the touch vibration doesn't work anymore. Well it was working fine but I guess someone mentioned that he noticed the touch vibration issue after the low battery warning. Now it doesn't work even after full charge or anything else. May be the factory reset will fix the issue but still it'll again pop-up if you let the battery go below 15% or 5% and charging full will not bring back the touch vibration. Other issue I'm seeing on my phone is a bit slow response from back button if I open an app and then hit the back button. The battery life has gone southwards. The scrolling is also not that great when compared to MF3. Fyi... I was having these problem even after doing couple of factory resets.
Anyway, yesterday I went to BB Samsung experience kiosk and asked the guy if he can downgrade the firmware (I knew that it'll be problematic, but I thought I'll give a shot anyway). He called the Samsung service center to get some answer about what to do. But he did tell me one thing, that in couple of days they'll have a newer version of 4.3 binary for at&t which he'll able to flash on my phone to resolve the bugs. He also said that 'at&t shot on its foot by releasing the 4.3 without patching the bugs'. I'll go back to BB Samsung experience kiosk in couple of days to check back on the newer version of 4.3. Lets see if the guy was telling the truth or not. I'll post the screen shot if I do see this been taken care of by SSE guy at BB.

galaxyjeff

Aug 31, 2010
Akron
Everything on mine works great. The at&t 4.3 update is bigger than the one sprint pushed to its s4. I think like I've stated before some just don't know much about how things work to know what to turn on or off or how to handle when notifications are saying things about apps. Maybe the lookout anti virus was a bad idea to include but it's easily turned off also. You just have to have some computer knowledge not have to be spoon fed every little setting.

troybklyn

Aug 31, 2008
Everything on mine works great. The at&t 4.3 update is bigger than the one sprint pushed to its s4. I think like I've stated before some just don't know much about how things work to know what to turn on or off or how to handle when notifications are saying things about apps. Maybe the lookout anti virus was a bad idea to include but it's easily turned off also. You just have to have some computer knowledge not have to be spoon fed every little setting.

+1. I've been doing this for years and haven't come across many issues at all. And when I do encounter any issues, I'll know just what to do to resolve them.. I guess it's because I research to make sure I have a better understanding of how things should work BEFORE I do anything. I mean, it's really not that hard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nerdrock

Dec 8, 2012
Here's my personal experience. I know and expect that my low posts/thanks should mean I shouldn't be trusted, but I have an S4 and here's what I did :

edit : I was on MF3 with Safestrap before this process.

1) i Odin'ed back to bone stock MF3
2) rooted with the instructions from this thread , and activated SuperSU's pro "Survival Mode"
3) downloaded and installed the sideloadable update as posted in this thread
4) had success! everything works as expected so far, and I'm still rooted. Obviously Safestrap is gone, but I'm rooted on stock 4.3

Last edited:

dlahmeyer

Aug 27, 2011
Here's my personal experience. I know and expect that my low posts/thanks should mean I shouldn't be trusted, but I have an S4 and here's what I did :

1) i Odin'ed back to bone stock MF3
2) rooted with the instructions from this thread , and activated SuperSU's pro "Survival Mode"
3) downloaded and installed the sideloadable update as posted in this thread
4) had success! everything works as expected so far, and I'm still rooted.

Can we odin back to 4.2.2 without any issues? if so i'll do that and just wait til they release a new bug free 4.3 cause my battery life suuuucks now.

nerdrock

Dec 8, 2012
Can we odin back to 4.2.2 without any issues? if so i'll do that and just wait til they release a new bug free 4.3 cause my battery life suuuucks now.

I'm modestly sure you can't. I'm not going to verify that, but it sounds like a game of russian-roulette with a chamber completely full of bullets.

troybklyn

Aug 31, 2008

I think he's talking about before u take the 4.3 update, if I'm not mistaken. It's nearly impossible to downgrade at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts