4.4.2 OTA S-Off

Search This thread

sum182

Oct 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Just tried and I got a temp root with Weaksauce from the M8 forums, which allowed me to run firewater for S-Off on the 4.4.2 ota.

1.) Install the necessary drivers
2.) Install and gain temp root with weaksauce, from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699089
3.) After obtaining Temp root (TuneInRadio will appear in your notification bar if its running) Run Firewater (normal, rooted device method) and your golden: http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

Make sure to follow all the instructions for Weaksauce and Firewater.

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 10, 2011
york, pa
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Just tried and I got a temp root with Weaksauce from the M8 forums, which allowed me to run firewater for S-Off on the 4.4.2 ota.

2.) Install and gain temp root with weaksauce, from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699089
3.) After obtaining Temp root (TuneInRadio will appear in your notification bar if its running) Run Firewater (normal, rooted device method) and your golden: http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

kewl... @JustinCase

pyroguysf

Mar 7, 2013
Works great. Returned to full stock 3.06 S-On, took OTA, and ran weaksauce + firewater no problem. Much easier than the original facepalm & htcdev.

Reactions: sum182

damnage88

Mar 5, 2011
Thanks for the additional confirmation. Yea, this was actually one of the easier unlocks/s-offs I've had in a while. Thanks to the devs of those wonderful programs.

Can confirm this worked for me as well. Anyone figure out a working wifi hotspot solution for us very rare rooted, unlimited, kit kat users? Wireless tether apk seems to fail for me.

therreid

Nov 16, 2012
Wyoming
Worked fantastic for me! Easiest way to root and s-off yet! Custom romantic now up and running. I used flashify to install TWRP.

hondasarecool

Oct 20, 2009
HOLY, GOD, THANK YOU. I just did this with my old DNA, worked flawlessly. Even checked for OTA updates right beforehand and it said it was up to date. So this even worked on the newest update. THANK YOU SO MUCH

10514706_10201254556725658_782762602295318452_n.jpg

Last edited:

xxfallacyxx

Dec 28, 2011
Mass
Sorry guys, I've been away forever and ever.

Does this mean I can once again gain root access for the DNA?!

Edit: Rooted, unlocked.

So happy I found this thread haha.

Last edited:

dbstudios

Jun 1, 2010
tried this today with my DNA but can't get my mac to see the device via adb, can anyone help me troubleshoot this? Thanks!!!

snellc001

Jun 9, 2010
tried this today with my DNA but can't get my mac to see the device via adb, can anyone help me troubleshoot this? Thanks!!!

Same problem here but on a Windows 7 machine. USB debugging enable, most recent windows drivers installed, uninstalled and re-installed. No matter what I do, ADB does not see my phone. Really frustrating because it has worked on this same computer previously before the Kit Kat update.

Droidel

Jan 21, 2011
I can't get this to work. I am S-OFF from old OTA soff method, took the latest OTA now I am relocked and SOFF, but not able to flash any recovery due to relocked status. I can't unlock.

I tired weaksauce method and it says already rooted, but its not. I reset the phone to try again with no luck.
I tried to change the CID and that didnt work.
Tried to run earlier RUU and won't let me. Is there a PH98IMG of the latest OTA?

Thanks.

edit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-dna/help/solved-flash-recovery-relocked-s-off-t2804435

Last edited:

solomonerwin

Jun 23, 2009
4.42 weaksauce wont work Please help

I can not gain root access S-off on my replacement phone Verizon sent me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If i have not included enough information my apologies as I normally figure these things out and have not had to post before. If this is not an appropriate thread to post in please redirect me. Also my boot loader is throwing tampered flag but is still locked S-on.
Screenshot_2014-07-24-15-49-57.png

Screenshot_2014-07-24-15-50-54.png

Screenshot_2014-07-24-15-54-05.png

Screenshot_2014-07-24-16-04-44.png

MSmithXDA

Jul 18, 2012
Sweet....Worked here too. Two things for anyone having issues....When you install SuperSU, you don't need to run it. It'll say installation failed if you do, but that's nothing to worry about. Second, after you do the adb reboot, wait 1-2 minutes after the reboot completes before you run the next command. You need to give time for temp root to be regranted.

Time to unlock the bootloader...

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Ok, so something else. After doing the above, if you run SuperSu it will tell you that you need to update your su binary and recommends you use TWRP to do it. So I cancelled out and installed Rom Installer from the play store and used it to flash TWRP 2.7.1. Then rebooted (not sure if necessary), then reran SuperSU. This time when it prompted me I told it to go ahead and update itself using TWRP. It did just that and all is good now.

Reactions: paraglyder

Guitarman823

Nov 30, 2010
Works Like Greased Lightning!!

Thanks SOOOOOO Much for providing this guide for S-Off for all of us who (stupidly) Allowed VZW to push the 4.4 Update to our Droid DNA's!!
This worked So easily, the Very First time! Follow both the weaksauce Guide and the firewater Guide EXPLICITLY and you will have no problems at all! Thanks to all of the devs who made this possible!:cool:

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
I can't get this to work. I am S-OFF from old OTA soff method, took the latest OTA now I am relocked and SOFF, but not able to flash any recovery due to relocked status. I can't unlock.

I tired weaksauce method and it says already rooted, but its not. I reset the phone to try again with no luck.
I tried to change the CID and that didnt work.
Tried to run earlier RUU and won't let me. Is there a PH98IMG of the latest OTA?

Thanks.

edit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-dna/help/solved-flash-recovery-relocked-s-off-t2804435

you dont need to be unlocked to install a recovery.

pack up your recovery image with an android info text document.

use fastboot/ruu mode to install the recovery zip file.

if you really want to use htcdev,you can also change your cid. if 11111111 or 22222222 dont work,try 33333333 or HTC__001(just remember to change it back when youre done)

solomonerwin

Jun 23, 2009
Ok well i figured out my problem

I can not gain root access S-off on my replacement phone Verizon sent me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If i have not included enough information my apologies as I normally figure these things out and have not had to post before. If this is not an appropriate thread to post in please redirect me. Also my boot loader is throwing tampered flag but is still locked S-on.
View attachment 2873959

View attachment 2873960

View attachment 2873961

View attachment 2873962

I hope this helps. I had to uninstall all updates for tunein radio after that i still could not get supersu to down load the binaries so i installed superuser instead and it worked just fine. By no means am i saying this is the correct way to do it i am just telling you what worked for me.

sidgallup

Dec 13, 2012
thanks for sharing this info. Now im s-off on Android 4.4.2, however... is it possible to flash custom ROMs wiha locked bootloader? that's all i want, otherwise ill just sell the phone and buy a Nexus 5.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Works great. Returned to full stock 3.06 S-On, took OTA, and ran weaksauce + firewater no problem. Much easier than the original facepalm & htcdev.
    Sweet....Worked here too. Two things for anyone having issues....When you install SuperSU, you don't need to run it. It'll say installation failed if you do, but that's nothing to worry about. Second, after you do the adb reboot, wait 1-2 minutes after the reboot completes before you run the next command. You need to give time for temp root to be regranted.

Time to unlock the bootloader...

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Ok, so something else. After doing the above, if you run SuperSu it will tell you that you need to update your su binary and recommends you use TWRP to do it. So I cancelled out and installed Rom Installer from the play store and used it to flash TWRP 2.7.1. Then rebooted (not sure if necessary), then reran SuperSU. This time when it prompted me I told it to go ahead and update itself using TWRP. It did just that and all is good now.
    not work anymore

If this works you'll be my personal Jesus! Been lookin forever....have my doubts bout this. Let you guys know how it works out
    Seem it can't work, I just flashed my phone back to 4.09.605.1 and got su through weaksauce. but cant' run firewater:

>adb push firewater /data/local/tmp
    3077 KB/s (4522136 bytes in 1.435s)

>adb shell

[email protected]:/ $ su
    su

[email protected]:/ # chmod 755 /data/local/firewater
    chmod 755 /data/local/firewater
    Unable to chmod /data/local/firewater: No such file or directory

10|[email protected]:/ # chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
    chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater

[email protected]:/ # /data/local/tmp/firewater
    /data/local/tmp/firewater