Question 40W Charger not working

Search This thread

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
charging rapidly could mean 18w. that's what mine was on several 61 and 65watt chargers.

that's half the speed. do yourselves a favor and test a few chargers before you accept what rapid charging really is.
Last night it charged from 55% to 80% in 45m on the slower CHOETECH charger
and from 56% to 80% in 22mins on the Tronsmart the previous day.
TBH, both of them seem plenty fast enough for me :)

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
jus
Last night it charged from 55% to 80% in 45m on the slower CHOETECH charger
and from 56% to 80% in 22mins on the Tronsmart the previous day.
TBH, both of them seem plenty fast enough for me :)
just saying it could be double.

also, you guys should take note of adaptive charging. if you have an alarm set for the morning, the phone will only trickle charge you to 100% to save the life of your battery. kind of neat i guess if you forget that you phone is plugged in. but also stupid if you are out at night and need a quick boost.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
The impression so far is that 99% of people will have the wrong charger even if they get a PPS one.

Supporting only a single rare PPS profile does not help reduce e-waste. It will create the same miserable charging experience as someone trying to charge their iPhone 13 Pro Max with the old 5W cubes.

Many of the "best Pixel 6 chargers" articles could end up wrong and some of them aren't even checking for basic PPS or PD support.

Last edited:

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
The impression so far is that 99% of people will have the wrong charger even if they get a PPS one or the official one.

Supporting only a single rare PPS profile does not help reduce e-waste. It will create the same miserable charging experience as someone trying to charge their iPhone 13 Pro Max with the old 5W cubes.

Many of the "best Pixel 6 chargers" articles could end up wrong and some of them aren't even checking for basic PPS or PD support.
i just picked up the 65w anker nano. arrives later today. purely for testing just to see if it reports anything different from my other chargers. if it does, perhaps i will keep it or grab the 30w or 45w versions which are cheaper.

edit: doesn't charge at 30w as far as I'm concerned. I sent it back. I'm done messing with chargers. will just stick with the Chromebook 4 charger. seems to do the trick and was free. the Anker was charging at the same rate...

Last edited:

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Hi all,

If you are not fussed about absolute speed of charging and want a cheap PPS charger (which is apparently kinder to your battery health), I ordered a Samsung 25w Travel Adaptor - https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-a...super-fast-charging-25w-black-ep-ta800nbeggb/

Which on the Samsung UK site for just £11.90 including delivery - less than half the price of the official Google 30W

Specs for the Samsung:
  • Output Voltage (Max, Fast Charge)PDO : 9 V / PPS : 3.3-5.9 V or 3.3-11.0 V
  • Output Current (Max, Normal Charge)3 A
  • Output Current (Max, Fast Charge)PDO : 2.77 A(9 V) / PPS : 3.0 A(3.3-5.9 V) or 2.25 A(3.3-11.0 V)
compare to the Google 30W one:
  • PD 20V⎓1.5A, 15V⎓2A, 5V/9V⎓3A; PPS 21V⎓1.5A. 11V⎓3A
I don't fully understand the above - if someone can decode and explain that would be great.

Thanks.

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
If you're not testing your charger with a usb C meter of some sort, you're almost certainly not getting 30W.

These pixels appear to have an apple style restriction on chargers. Something many people are missing is that not all PPS chargers are created equally. Google specifies 21v whereas most of the pps chargers on the market top out at 11v.

I've tried 3 different 65W 11v PPS chargers and they all top out at 18-20W.

I then specifically bought a 21v capable charger and still it tops out at 18-20W.

I'm extremely disappointed Google decided to take this anti consumer approach. The chargers I have tried are by all means technologically superior to Google's charger in every way and yet this arbitrary restriction means I'm forced to buy Google's if I want 30W charging.

I can include links/photos/videos if anyone is curious.

Reactions: mitchst2

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
If you're not testing your charger with a usb C meter of some sort, you're almost certainly not getting 30W.

These pixels appear to have an apple style restriction on chargers. Something many people are missing is that not all PPS chargers are created equally. Google specifies 21v whereas most of the pps chargers on the market top out at 11v.

I then specifically bought a 21v capable charger and still it tops out at 18-20W.

I'm extremely disappointed Google decided to take this anti consumer approach. The chargers I have tried are by all means technologically superior to Google's charger in every way and yet this arbitrary restriction means I'm forced to buy Google's if I want 30W charging.

i have the exact same experience. i'm going to link below every charger i have tried and they all charge at the exact same rate give or take a few watts. the best by far was the anker 65w nano, but even that didn't come close to 30. it was more like a consistent 17-18. ultimately i decided to use the chromebook 4 charger that i have. it is a 45watt charger i believe and it rapidly charges the phone, but its not going anywhere near 30watt. but i already had it so i figured i'd hold off buying anything. i'll likely get google's charger soon, but i just dislike that you cannot return them easily. there's a google store in nyc so maybe i'll pop in to do a return there one day...

1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V5MC4KT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09695G7KV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T5QN2TR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4. i cannot find the chromebook 4 charger online. so a picture of it is attached.
5. https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pc112-gan-tech-61w-wall-charger (forgot to mention this one too)

all of the above charged at more or less the same rate and not anywhere near 30w. they all displayed "charging rapidly" on the phone. and naturally i was using the phone's usb cable that came in the box.

@3dawg i would appreciate any feedback/comments you may have on any of these products. You seem better versed in the subject. i'm more of a trial and error kind of person. but we did reach the same conclusion about getting Google's charger.
PXL_20211103_151359886.jpg

Last edited:

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
FYI - I've read that the Pixels will show "Rapidly Charging" whenever they are charging with 7.5w or more. That's a pretty low bar and a far cry from the max 30w that the phone is capable of.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
If the Pixel needs exactly 21V at 1.5A or 11V at 3A, the latter of which my Warp Charge 65T should be able to do, that seems to break the promise of PPS.

The whole point of PPS is the handshake between phone and charger to negotiate the fastest possible speed that both support. The voltage is supposed to be variable, not one or two stepping stones and that's it.

Reactions: 3dawg

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
If the Pixel needs exactly 21V at 1.5A or 11V at 3A, the latter of which my Warp Charge 65T should be able to do, that seems to break the promise of PPS.

The whole point of PPS is the handshake between phone and charger to negotiate the fastest possible speed that both support. The voltage is supposed to be variable, not one or two stepping stones and that's it.
Exactly this, couldn't agree more. I've contacted google about it and they simply said "we don't comment on third party chargers" and then they recommended I buy the official one. Piss off lol.

Reactions: mitchst2

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
for what it's worth, i called google and confirmed you can return the charger and they will not charge you shipping or a restocking fee.

Heisenberg420

Apr 28, 2011
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6

Can you direct me to where Google specifies the phone charges with 21 volts?

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
Can you direct me to where Google specifies the phone charges with 21 volts?
I was referring to the charger.

1635965619344.png

I came to this conclusion because none of my 11V - 3A PPS chargers could top 18W.

Of course neither can my 21V - 1.5A so it's all moot.

Attachments

• 1635965580732.png
    1635965580732.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 20

Heisenberg420

Apr 28, 2011
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6
I was referring to the charger.

View attachment 5448627

I came to this conclusion because none of my 11V - 3A PPS chargers could top 18W.

Of course neither can my 21V - 1.5A so it's all moot.
Fair to come to that conclusion considering there's nothing on the pixel 6 specs page about it. But it's also worth considering they may have included the 21 volts to charge laptops/pixel books, without someone measuring with a voltage meter, we don't really know if the PPS goes beyond 11 volts (which is what most PD3/PPS chargers seem to max out at.)

Semi-related/unrelated, but I have been using the Belkin 25 watt which lists the following specs:
Screenshot 2021-11-03 150628.png

and has maxed out at ~4.2 amps (at 3.8/4.2 depending on charge) which is around 15-18 watts.
I received the google charger today so we'll see if it charges any faster.

Maybe someday manufacturers will list charging specs considering the current cluster$#@! of different proprietary charging methods that have become "standard", and if they really expect people to reuse their older chargers for a new device.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
Fair to come to that conclusion considering there's nothing on the pixel 6 specs page about it. But it's also worth considering they may have included the 21 volts to charge laptops/pixel books, without someone measuring with a voltage meter, we don't really know if the PPS goes beyond 11 volts (which is what most PD3/PPS chargers seem to max out at.)

Semi-related/unrelated, but I have been using the Belkin 25 watt which lists the following specs:
View attachment 5448643

and has maxed out at ~4.2 amps (at 3.8/4.2 depending on charge) which is around 15-18 watts.
I received the google charger today so we'll see if it charges any faster.

Maybe someday manufacturers will list charging specs considering the current cluster$#@! of different proprietary charging methods that have become "standard", and if they really expect people to reuse their older chargers for a new device.
i placed an order for the google charger today also. i have to believe it will charge at faster than 15-18 watts. and if not, well, i confirmed the free return policy.

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I did some basic comparison between the Samsung 25w Travel Adaptor with PPS and my other QC/PD chargers
The Samsung PPS averaged 2.9A charge rate and average temp 23.5c degrees
For the other chargers:
USB-C ports managed around 3/3.1A and 29c
USB-A port managed around 1A and 26c

So, it seems that whilst the PPS may not give the highest charge rate, the battery stays a relatively cool - around 13% cooler than the 1A rate and 26% cooler than the 3.1A rate.

For reference the other chargers were:
Tronsmart U5P (60w multiport charger)
Q34U2Q CHOETECH USB C PD charger.
Tronsmart W2PTU with USB-C port

Reactions: wilceaux

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I will say that heat is the thing that decreases battery life the quickest. I have no idea if 29c is too hot or not, but the fact that PPS is what the phone is designed with and it is keeping the temps under 25c leads me to believe that 29c is going to negatively effect battery longevity/life over time.

Reactions: harryw66

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I have no idea what my OnePlus charger is doing.

Peaking at 4A. It's not supposed to go above 3A for a non-OnePlus device. Even then, only for 6.5A and 10V. The "max" language on the charger and specs may be more flexible than expected though.

Last edited:

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I did some basic comparison between the Samsung 25w Travel Adaptor with PPS and my other QC/PD chargers
For the other chargers:

So, it seems that whilst the PPS may not give the highest charge rate, the battery stays a relatively cool - around 13% cooler than the 1A rate and 26% cooler than the 3.1A rate.

I tried a newer USB-C Cable with the Samsung 25w and got some different figures this time:
The charge level varied between 3A and 4A with an average of 3.1A during the 24m charge cycle with average temp 25-26c degrees...
Battery went from 54% to 80% in 24m.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think this one does not have PPS.

Exactly this, couldn't agree more. I've contacted google about it and they simply said "we don't comment on third party chargers" and then they recommended I buy the official one. Piss off lol.
    For the other chargers: