4g calling on US996?

Search This thread

anlsh

Feb 17, 2021
I'm currently using a US996 (the "real" factory unlocked version, not the US cellular one), and was hoping to do so for as long as possible. Unfortunately, my current carrier is AT&T and it seems that they will be dropping support for 3g calling early next year- which I am told will render my model unable to place or receive phone calls.

Anyways, I have *heard* that my device will be supported if I switch to T-mobile, but this comes from some googling a year or so ago and probably some less-than-reliable sources.

I was hoping to get a run-down on what my options are if I want to retain both my current device and ability to make phone calls come 2022. I currently have an unlocked bootloader + LineageOS installed on my phone as well, and would prefer to maintain that rather than having to use a locked-down carrier ROM

C D

Jul 19, 2016
TN
I have seen mixed reports from users who got VoLTE working on T-Mobile for their US996 while others did not (I'm still on a Sprint MVNO, so I won't be able to test this myself until T-Mobile completely takes over the network). But what's certain is that only the H910 can get VoLTE on AT&T (they keep a whitelist that determines which phones can get it), and LineageOS on pretty much any LG phone will likely never have it working.
So, at a minimum, you'll have to at least go back to a stock-based ROM if you plan on using a V20 next year on any carrier in the U.S.

mghia

Dec 20, 2014
I am not XDA savvy so forgive me if this is not what you are asking.
I have US996 factory unlocked ,I am on stock 8.0 and use Net10 which is ATT and do calling with LTE. which I assume is 4G.

C D

Jul 19, 2016
TN
I am not XDA savvy so forgive me if this is not what you are asking.
I have US996 factory unlocked ,I am on stock 8.0 and use Net10 which is ATT and do calling with LTE. which I assume is 4G.
What OP is saying is that the calls on AT&T and its MVNOs for a US996 are actually done through 3G/HSPA and not LTE, unlike cellular data. AT&T's own H910 is the only V20 model that can make calls through LTE (VoLTE) on their network. Once AT&T turns off the 3G networks early next year, calls will no longer work on the US996 and any phone that's not on AT&T's whitelist.
You should be able to see this on your phone: When making a call, the LTE icon will not stay up, indicating that VoLTE is not working.

mghia

Dec 20, 2014
Oh nifty this phone becomes more and more an issue. So now I ahve to add this to my plate. Seems like it will still be a year. OK but the US996 has LTE so why is this still a problem? Why wont it just use the LTE band?
Please be kind I do not know all the acronyms or how any of this all works.
Cant the US996 also run on Verizon?

C D

Jul 19, 2016
TN
Oh nifty this phone becomes more and more an issue. So now I ahve to add this to my plate. Seems like it will still be a year. OK but the US996 has LTE so why is this still a problem? Why wont it just use the LTE band?
Please be kind I do not know all the acronyms or how any of this all works.
Cant the US996 also run on Verizon?
Because of its whitelist I linked in the second post, AT&T actively blocks any phone not on the list from using LTE for calls (VoLTE = voice over LTE).
As for Verizon, they blocked direct activation of the US996 starting in 2018. You will see that entering your phone's IMEI number on Verizon's website will give you a message saying it's not compatible with their network even though it is perfectly capable. It may still work if you insert an already-active Verizon SIM card in there, but I don't use Verizon, so I can't say for sure if that still works.

mghia

Dec 20, 2014
Wow, talk about a way to force new contracts and phone sales. I never had a phone not be useable for PHONE CALLS. I guess I am grateful for the heads up as I was not aware and Net10 did not inform me of such things. I bought this phone because of specs and it was a removeable battery . But it seems this phone just was a pain from the start, with the screen issues, and the company claiming they would upgrade to Pie and never did.
T-mobile did not have useable coverage in my area when I tired it several years ago. So I really do not know what is going on since they now have Sprint.

good223

Apr 24, 2010
Not sure if you're still looking at this thread but i have a v20 us996 factory unlocked and a G6 us997 factory unlocked and they BOTH get VoLTE on Red Pocket Mobile AT&T mvno. Calls DO NOT fall back to 3g or 2g and data stays active while in calls.