(5.0.2+5.1) (UPDATED 08/27/2016) How to: Use Verizon Moto E (2015) on ANY GSM network

Did this method work for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

pmittal

Jul 30, 2015
Yeeesssss i flash it in fastboot and do all instruction? and i have beeline calls and text and 2G data.....only reflashing helps!!! Reseting and wiping did not help!!! Try it for vodafone!!

great, where can i find instructions for " flash it in fastboot and do all instruction"

Romik80

Apr 23, 2015
Download Firmware_Flasher_v4.5_MotoE2015_by_Alkalinorap, and firmware VRZ_XT1528_LXI22.50-28_CFC.xml, unzip firmware in folder firmware flasher without any folder in firmware folder must be only files from archive, reboot phone in fastboot(vol down+power) and run flasher then press Yes if you already install moto drivers, and press enter it flash only system partition, logo and modem another files it cant flash... the firmware will bee 5.1, but modem will be from 5.02 after thet use instruction for 5.1 and youl get working phone with 2g calls and text.

Also i lost notice that my sim is not Verizon!!!!

Last edited:

unmesh59

Nov 21, 2010
But phone calls didnot work too.... i need just phone without data, but the phone cant see any network(bee,megafon,mts,yota) nothing.... and 2g frec are the same with usa it must see it....
GSM 900\1800 in russia are the same as in USA, but it did not see any network... that is the question.... WHYYYY???
Quite a mystery.

Yeeesssss i flash it in fastboot and do all instruction? and i have beeline calls and text and 2G data.....only reflashing helps!!! Reseting and wiping did not help!!! Try it for vodafone!!
Congratulations on solving your problem!

cuteabdul

Jul 30, 2015
followed the steps in green and the preferred network mode is set to 4g..

IF YOUR DEVICE IS RUNNING 5.1, FOLLOW THE GREEN INSTRUCTIONS!
In order to attempt to get Verizon/Motorola to push out a new update with a fix for the removal of the option to switch to GSM, please sign this petition on Change.org and share it to anyone who you know will sign it! https://www.change.org/p/verizon-daniel-s-mead-stop-carrier-locking-motorola-moto-e-lte-xt1528
Background Info: I work at Walmart in the Connection Center, and today I had a customer wanting to switch to Family Mobile from AT&T, so I showed them our Family Mobile devices and T-Mobile Devices, they didnt seem interested in them and said they wanted somthing that had Android 5.0 Lollipop, I thought about it for a minute and remembered that the Moto E (2015) shipped with Lollipop installed, I also knew that Verizon phones come unlocked, so I showed them the device and they decided to go with it, they bought the Family Mobile Micro SIM starter kit, and the Moto E, but once I powered it on, I couldn't get it to connect to Family Mobile, so I tried to access the advanced radio menu (*#*#4636#*#*) to no avail, but I eventually got it working, with full LTE support, heres how:
5.1 Updated Instrcutions:
With the SIM you want to use the the phone :
1. Put the phone into Airplane mode (I'm not sure this is needed, but it doesn't hurt)
2. Go to Settings -> About Phone and tap on "Build Number" until it says you are in Developer Mode (~10 times)
3. Go back one menu, and right above About Phone there should now be an option for Developer Options, go into that.
4. Turn on USB Debugging
5. Connect the phone to your computer and type "adb shell" in your CMD window
6. Run the following commands in adb shell :
settings put global preferred_network_mode 9
settings put global preferred_network_mode1 9
settings put global preferred_network_mode2 9
7. Turn off Airplane mode
8. Power off and Restart the phone
9. Open up the settings app, go to the mobile networks panel, select "Prefered Network Mode" and change it to "4G"
10. Input the appropriate APNs for your specific carrier
11. (Optional). Disable all Verizon apps through settings or Titanium Backup.
CREDIT: docna

5.0.2 Instructions:
1. Power on the device with the GSM SIM card in the SIM card slot
2. Connect to WiFi and complete Google Sign-In
3. Go to the Play Store and search "Network" download the first app (A white circle with a black phone in it) (This will allow us access to the advance radio options)
4. Open the "Network" shortcut
5. Change the radio mode from "CDMA/LTE PRL" to "GSM/LTE Auto"
6. Open up the settings app, go to the mobile networks panel, select "Prefered Network Mode" and change it to "4G"
7. Input the appropriate APNs for your specific carrier
8 (Optional). Disable all Verizon apps through settings or Titanium Backup.
The only thing I couldnt solve was how to remove the "SIM Card is not from Verizon Wireless" error in the status bar permanently, but thats just an annoyance, and causes no usability decrease.

But since in INDIA only 2g/3g is available in most areas, also the indian sim is not being detected

_Z_x_Z_

May 9, 2015
Kyiv
I looked up Beeline and they use Band 1 at 2100MHz for 3G service and Band 7 at 2600MHz for LTE, neither of which are supported by this phone.

When you roam, your phone uses the frequency bands of your roaming partner and this phone supports at least some of the AT&T and T-mobile frequencies. It is odd that you cannot roam in the US with your Russian SIM card.

Used this phone in Ukraine operator life;) all worked on 5.0.1 then beg for 5.1 and stopped working. That only did not try does not work and all.

unmesh59

Nov 21, 2010
Now I'm having a problem with the phone on AT&T. This morning, the network data connectivity status icon has a "No" overlay on it i.e. a circle with a slash through it. I can make receive calls but there is no data service.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

P.S. Our other phones on the family account are working fine.

--Update--
After having AT&T check out their end of things, we eventually discovered that my wife had inadvertently turned off cell data service on the handset!

Last edited:

infinitycane

Apr 23, 2013
Woohoo! So like a few of you..I sim swap and got locked out again to the LTE/CDMA mode after swapping my sim. Setting the preferred mode again in adb, rebooting etc. did nothing. I also tried what someone else mentioned and setting them to stock values (8, null, null), which also didn't work.

Just figured out a different method of doing it without having to factory reset! One moment. I need to confirm it as I issued a few string of commands and now have to isolate which one did it, so someone else can replicate it.

EDIT: CONFIRMED! If you sim swapped and are now stuck on LTE/CDMA mode again simply issue the following command in adb shell

Code:
 pm clear com.android.providers.telephony

It should say "Success" after you issued the command.

Then reboot. This will essentially reset the values back to stock. After reboot issue the same commands found in OP to set the global preferred_network_mode back to 9 and reboot once more and you're back in service!

No need to factory reset.

Thanks! i finally got it working ....... but No network.. Network Bars are empty. I have set the Apn but its still not getting signal. I now have the 4G/3G/2G settings but its not getting signal. My other phones have full bars. Simcard is MTN Nigeria

unmesh59

Nov 21, 2010
For those who are able to tell the frequency band your phone is using to connect to the network, how are you able to do that?

For example, typing *#0011# into my older Samsung Galaxy S3 gives me this information.

Thanks.

jherbold

Oct 11, 2007
Somewhere out west
Google Voice/Hangouts odd behavior when on 4g data. I'm using this phone updated to 5.1 with a T-Mobile SIM. When I try to use LTE data and incoming calls to my GV number through hangouts they don't ring. No indication of a missed call. I have the option to receive calls checked in Hangouts. When connected to WiFi incoming Hangouts calls ring just fine. I have a Nexus 4, a first gen Moto E, and an older HTC. All ring correctly on mobile data using the exact same T-Mobile SIM. Forwarding to my T-Mobile number works just fine. However, since I am blessed with strong, fast and ubiquitous LTE in my hometown I would love to use cell data rather than my limited voice call minutes when someone calls me.

Anyone else see this problem? Anyone with this phone/GV/Hangouts and LTE service willing to see if you can duplicate?

TheDerekHarper

Jun 21, 2015
Google Voice/Hangouts odd behavior when on 4g data. I'm using this phone updated to 5.1 with a T-Mobile SIM. When I try to use LTE data and incoming calls to my GV number through hangouts they don't ring. No indication of a missed call. I have the option to receive calls checked in Hangouts. When connected to WiFi incoming Hangouts calls ring just fine. I have a Nexus 4, a first gen Moto E, and an older HTC. All ring correctly on mobile data using the exact same T-Mobile SIM. Forwarding to my T-Mobile number works just fine. However, since I am blessed with strong, fast and ubiquitous LTE in my hometown I would love to use cell data rather than my limited voice call minutes when someone calls me.

Anyone else see this problem? Anyone with this phone/GV/Hangouts and LTE service willing to see if you can duplicate?

Give me a ring and lets see if I have the same problems. [email protected] (Hangouts)

Sent from my XT1528 using XDA Free mobile app

arshull

Mar 26, 2009
Raleigh
Thanks

This method works on Boost and Sprint too.
Tested in INDIA working fine with indian GSM carriers.

Trying to get the Boost version working on the AT&T network. Do I need a network unlock code? Never prompts me for one, but the sim will not register in the network. I was able to change the settings over to gsm/lte auto, but after it tries to "register services" it times out and never connects. Tried manually entering the APN, and I can enter the info, but never saves. I'm using an xt1526. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Whoareyou

Jul 7, 2010
Olathe, KS
Motorola Razr 5G
Trying to get the Boost version working on the AT&T network. Do I need a network unlock code? Never prompts me for one, but the sim will not register in the network. I was able to change the settings over to gsm/lte auto, but after it tries to "register services" it times out and never connects. Tried manually entering the APN, and I can enter the info, but never saves. I'm using an xt1526. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

The Sprint, Boost, and Virgin varients do not work on domestic GSM networks, don't ask me why, I don't know, something to do with Sprint being an awful company I'd presume! You can try to call them and get them to unlock domestic GSM but they probably won't do it for you...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please follow the updated directions provided by Bendrexl below before attempting any other methods.
    Here's a roundup of essential steps from this thread that worked for me...
    :good: HUGE THANKS to: Whoareyou, docna, caspar347, Dishe

Prepare for battle:
    1. Ensure your Verizon Moto E 2015 is configured for USB debugging.
    2. Ensure your Verizon Moto E 2015 has airplane mode enabled.
    3. Ensure your PC/Mac has the Android SDK Platform Tools installed & accessible via your terminal / command line (added to $PATH var).
    4. Download 5.0.2 factory image: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e-2015/general/stocks-firmwares-moto-e-t3113235/page2?nocache=1 (Thanks to caspar347!)
    5. Unzip / expand this .zip archive.
    6. Open a terminal session in the directory you just unzipped (containing NON-HLOS.bin & fsg.mbn)

Execute!
    In your terminal with phone plugged in:
    1. $ adb reboot bootloader (your phone should now reboot into bootloader, wait for this)
    2. $ fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    3. $ fastboot erase modemst1
    4. $ fastboot erase modemst2
    5. $ fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    6. $ fastboot reboot (WAIT for phone to fully boot before continuing)
    7. $ adb shell (your command prompt will change to something like [email protected]_cdma:/ $. If you get kicked out of the session while entering the next commands, just type adb shell again and pick up where you left off)
    8. [email protected]_cdma:/ $ pm clear com.android.providers.telephony
    9. [email protected]_cdma:/ $ settings put global preferred_network_mode 9
    10. [email protected]_cdma:/ $ settings put global preferred_network_mode1 9
    11. [email protected]_cdma:/ $ settings put global preferred_network_mode2 9
    12. [email protected]_cdma:/ $ pm hide com.motorola.setupwizard.phoneservice (optional)
    13. [email protected]_cdma:/ $ exit (or just unplug & reboot phone)
    14. $ adb reboot (or just unplug & reboot phone)

On the phone:
    1. Turn off Airplane mode
    2. Open Settings app > More > Cellular Networks
    3. Ensure Preferred network type selected is "4G (recommended)"
    4. Under Access Point Names, add the appropriate APNs for your specific carrier. (for Fi data, I only needed "h2g2").
    5. Disable all Verizon apps through settings or Titanium Backup. (Optional)

CREDITS: Whoareyou, docna, caspar347, Dishe

IF YOUR DEVICE IS RUNNING 5.1, FOLLOW THE GREEN INSTRUCTIONS!
    In order to attempt to get Verizon/Motorola to push out a new update with a fix for the removal of the option to switch to GSM, please sign this petition on Change.org and share it to anyone who you know will sign it! https://www.change.org/p/verizon-daniel-s-mead-stop-carrier-locking-motorola-moto-e-lte-xt1528
    Background Info: I work at Walmart in the Connection Center, and today I had a customer wanting to switch to Family Mobile from AT&T, so I showed them our Family Mobile devices and T-Mobile Devices, they didnt seem interested in them and said they wanted somthing that had Android 5.0 Lollipop, I thought about it for a minute and remembered that the Moto E (2015) shipped with Lollipop installed, I also knew that Verizon phones come unlocked, so I showed them the device and they decided to go with it, they bought the Family Mobile Micro SIM starter kit, and the Moto E, but once I powered it on, I couldn't get it to connect to Family Mobile, so I tried to access the advanced radio menu (*#*#4636#*#*) to no avail, but I eventually got it working, with full LTE support, heres how:

POSSIBLE SIM SWAP WORKAROUND (Reported by wogeboy):
    Disable vzwAPNpermissions.apk and vzwAPNservice.apk using this program: http://bit.ly/1HHyVao
    I have not tested this as I dont have a VZW Moto E to test it on.

5.1 Updated Instrcutions:
    1. Put the phone into Airplane mode (I'm not sure this is needed, but it doesn't hurt)
    2. Go to Settings -> About Phone and tap on "Build Number" until it says you are in Developer Mode (~10 times)
    3. Go back one menu, and right above About Phone there should now be an option for Developer Options, go into that.
    4. Turn on USB Debugging
    5. Connect the phone to your computer and type "adb shell" in your CMD window
    6. Run the following commands in adb shell :
    pm clear com.android.providers.telephony

9. Open up the settings app, go to the mobile networks panel, select "Prefered Network Mode" and change it to "4G"

10. Input the appropriate APNs for your specific carrier

11. (Optional). Disable all Verizon apps through settings or Titanium Backup.
    CREDIT: docna

5.0.2 Instructions:
    1. Power on the device with the GSM SIM card in the SIM card slot
    2. Connect to WiFi and complete Google Sign-In
    3. Go to the Play Store and search "Network" download the first app (A white circle with a black phone in it) (This will allow us access to the advance radio options)
    4. Open the "Network" shortcut
    5. Change the radio mode from "CDMA/LTE PRL" to "GSM/LTE Auto"
    6. Open up the settings app, go to the mobile networks panel, select "Prefered Network Mode" and change it to "4G"
    7. Input the appropriate APNs for your specific carrier
    8 (Optional). Disable all Verizon apps through settings or Titanium Backup.
    The only thing I couldnt solve was how to remove the "SIM Card is not from Verizon Wireless" error in the status bar permanently, but thats just an annoyance, and causes no usability decrease.
    Enabling GSM with 5.1!

So I've managed to get GSM working on a factory reset 5.1!

It's basically in the same state as after the 5.1 upgrade - it works fine with GSM, but swapping the SIM or doing a new factory reset stops it from working - but you can always just follow the same process again to get it going.

You'll need "adb" and the Moto USB drivers installed on your computer. If you don't know what that is, Google is your friend.

4. Turn on USB Debugging
    5. Connect the phone to your computer and fire up "adb"
    6. Run the following commands in adb :

After the restart, go to Settings -> More -> Cellular Networks and you should find the 4G/3G/2G options, with 4G selected (if not, select it).

After doing this I'm successfully running with an AT&T SIM with no problems. According to the status bar, I'm getting '4G LTE', with about 6Mbps down and 10Mbps up according to Speedtest. Rebooting the phone works fine. Removing the SIM and putting in a different one resets it back to CDMA, but following the steps above again gets back to 4G.
    For Android 5.1 (havent tried on 5.0.2)

I hope this makes everyones life a little easier.
    Run the script and it will do the same as the steps in the OP. works like a charm.
    FYI... Changing sim cards or doing factory reset will change phone back to CDMA and will not pick up GSM anymore, you'll have to run the script again (see link below):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1zhN8KFcCjqYWl6UDR6clNWa2s/view?usp=sharing
    Obviously can't use TIBU to disable apps because we don't have root... HOWEVER, I found that the debloater.exe works wonders for disabling apps (disable com.motorola.setupwizard.xxxxx to get rid of SIM NOT FROM VERIZON warning)

UPDATE!!!

DISABLED vzwAPNpermissions.apk & vzwAPNservice.apk and was able to change sims without having to redo the settings in ADB!! :D

Also, the phone automatically found my APN settings on different SIM cards after doing this!!
    Hey everyone. I just went through a lot of digging last night to get this phone working on Cricket and I wanted to share my findings since OP hasn't been updated with new info and it looks like a lot of y'all are trying to figure this out. I'm a longtime lurker but this is important enough for me to actually sign in and post.

It's possible to get GSM working on the latest update (23.201.2 and probably any before or after as well). You just have to downgrade the modem. Instructions here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62239017&postcount=486

The link is dead and none of the indexed firmware dumps anywhere have the 5.0 files. Some searching revealed someone (probably in our situation since they're asking for the modem) asked if anyone had the files and someone dropped a link that still works:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e-2015/general/stocks-firmwares-moto-e-t3113235/page2?nocache=1
    You only need the "NON-HLOS.bin" and "fsg.mbn" files but I recommend downloading the whole thing if you have space. You never know when you're gonna need a copy of your phone's stock firmware.

Once you use the files from my second link and follow the instructions in the post on my first link, go back to the first post of this thread and follow the green instructions. Worked for me.

And if you're gonna thank me, go thank the posts I linked too. I couldn't have done it without 'em.

Edit for noob-proofing: The instructions on the first link are written for a weird version of fastboot. If you're using Google's SDK fastboot, just type "fastboot" instead of "mfastboot" where written in the instructions. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2277112 - I personally recommend just using the "command line tools only" version at the bottom of the download page from Google unless you're gonna start developing android apps.

And I didn't have to install any Moto drivers (the Google Nexus drivers worked fine) but YMMV.

Edit 2: one more thing: to get rid of the "not a Verizon SIM" notification, while in normal booted state do
    adb shell
    pm hide com.motorola.setupwizard.phoneservice
    To re-enable just replace "hide" with "unhide" in the above instructions. A factory reset will probably restore this stuff too.
    And I found that here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...sm-network-t3098953/post64209858#post64209858
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone