• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[5.0+][ROOT][3.5.2] AFWall+ IPTables Firewall [16 May 2021]

Search This thread

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
I have a very frustrating problem. I have everything Google blocked in AFWall+ 3.5.2 Donate version, including Play Store, Framework, etc. I unblock them rarely, like when I need to update maps. Regardless every so often during the month and against my wishes Google will reach out and inform me of updates. And even thought I have autoupdates disabled, it will occasionally autoupdate a Google app.

I tried freezing Google Play Store but some of my apps won't work when I do that.

I have LOS 14.1 installed. Just how is Google accessing the internet and how do I stop it?
EDITED: Changed "during the day" to "during the month".

Last edited:

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
I have seen google update google play store because there is no option is disable auto-update for the play store app itself. I don't know if disabling the play store app in afwall will prevent that from happening.

I did notice recently that google keeps updating the "google" app (voice search) on my android 5.x galaxy tab even though I have auto-update disabled for all play store apps.

zputnyq

Apr 19, 2013
I have a very frustrating problem. I have everything Google blocked in AFWall+ 3.5.2 Donate version, including Play Store, Framework, etc. I unblock them rarely, like when I need to update maps. Regardless every so often during the month and against my wishes Google will reach out and inform me of updates. And even thought I have autoupdates disabled, it will occasionally autoupdate a Google app.

I tried freezing Google Play Store but some of my apps won't work when I do that.

I have LOS 14.1 installed. Just how is Google accessing the internet and how do I stop it?
EDITED: Changed "during the day" to "during the month".
That seems google's fault.

As a workaround you can try disabling the autoupdated app (google app). I had experienced it on my 2 devices, that's the only solution that I know so far.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
I'm curious, what apps stop working when you freeze the google "Play Store" app?

I ask because I have frozen the "Play Store" app, and so far, the "Google" app (voice search app) has not updated yet.

And I can't think of what functionality the "Play Store" app is needed by other apps. If you freeze the "Google Services Framework" app, then yes, many apps will stop working. But I would be surprised if an app stops working when the "Play Store" app is frozen.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiTiB

Saygus_

Aug 6, 2021
Hello

I'm trying to block 443 TCP port both incoming and outcoming pckgs, is it possible with this ?
I tried to use these commands :

Code:
OEM_SCRIPT_PATH=/system/bin/oem-iptables-init.sh
IP6TABLES=/system/bin/ip6tables
IPTABLES=/system/bin/iptables
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -j DROP -p tcp --destination-port 443

But it doesn't work
This is not for an app, actually it's for the hotspot mode on which my ps4 is connected to
My phone is rooted

Thank's if someone can help ! :)

Last edited:

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
I'm curious, what apps stop working when you freeze the google "Play Store" app?

I ask because I have frozen the "Play Store" app, and so far, the "Google" app (voice search app) has not updated yet.

And I can't think of what functionality the "Play Store" app is needed by other apps. If you freeze the "Google Services Framework" app, then yes, many apps will stop working. But I would be surprised if an app stops working when the "Play Store" app is frozen.
Two of the apps that threw errors used Google Maps.

urgali

Jun 23, 2015
OnePlus One
OnePlus 2
Hello

I'm trying to block 443 TCP port both incoming and outcoming pckgs, is it possible with this ?
I tried to use these commands :

Code:
OEM_SCRIPT_PATH=/system/bin/oem-iptables-init.sh
IP6TABLES=/system/bin/ip6tables
IPTABLES=/system/bin/iptables
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -j DROP -p tcp --destination-port 443

But it doesn't work
This is not for an app, actually it's for the hotspot mode on which my ps4 is connected to
My phone is rooted

Thank's if someone can help ! :)
Remove the OEM SCRIPT row entirely and try to apply again

Also,you are declaring ip6tables variable and not using it; you van remove that row aswell

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5

I tried it again. I froze Google Play Store in AnTek App Manager. The error I get from some apps is a popup that only says:

com.google.android.finsky.application.classic.ClassicProdApplication has

The popup is obviously truncated. The above process appeared to be disabled when I froze Google Play Store so I'm not sure if the message ends with "has stopped".

The popup comes up for Flightradar24, a popular app that uses Google Maps. However, while this and other apps with this error appear to run fine, I'd still like to understand and address the error. There are some solutions online but they all include enabling Play Store.
I'm guessing this error has something to do with making purchases thru Play Store.

Last edited:

temporarium

I tried it again. I froze Google Play Store in AnTek App Manager. The error I get from some apps is a popup that only says:

com.google.android.finsky.application.classic.ClassicProdApplication has

The popup is obviously truncated. The above process appeared to be disabled when I froze Google Play Store so I'm not sure if the message ends with "has stopped".

The popup comes up for Flightradar24, a popular app that uses Google Maps. However, while this and other apps with this error appear to run fine, I'd still like to understand and address the error. There are some solutions online but they all include enabling Play Store.
I'm guessing this error has something to do with making purchases thru Play Store.
Why don't you install microg, it includes a FakeStore app that only makes other apps believe Play Store is installed https://microg.org/

Reactions: JohnC

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Why don't you install microg, it includes a FakeStore app that only makes other apps believe Play Store is installed https://microg.org/
Thanks, I've been looking at microOG but it still looks a bit buggy? Reliability is my #1 concern.

Wow, what an improvement in battery life with Google Play Store frozen! Usually I lose 15-20% of my battery sitting unused overnight but instead I only lost 8%!

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Buggy? Loads of people use it (myself included, which tips the scales 😁) with zero issues. It's your choice, of course, but it's a perfectly working alternative.
Well, I was looking at the downloadable components:
and I see v0.1.0 and v0.0.2 and I'm not filled with confidence. I prefer a v1.0 or at a minimum a v0.5.

Could you tell me what microG services you have installed and on what version of Android? Any issues? How well does Google Maps run?

temporarium

Well, I was looking at the downloadable components:
and I see v0.1.0 and v0.0.2 and I'm not filled with confidence. I prefer a v1.0 or at a minimum a v0.5.

Could you tell me what microG services you have installed and on what version of Android? Any issues? How well does Google Maps run?
Apologies to all for OT. This will be the last...

I don't use Google maps, only waze and osmand. I use the latest services core, only for push alerts. I don't use any pay apps (since I don't want to be tracked that way), so I don't care about passing safety net, etc. A10 Resurrection Remix. All that I need works fine.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
There is kind of too many OT posts about the play store app in this thread, but because I am not an expert with this forum, I am hoping someone more experienced will know the proper section to start a new thread about this and make one last post in this thread so we can continue this interesting topic there.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
He doesn't pop in here often, so instead of more OT posts, I did a quick search and found a thread in "Android General" just for MicroG :)

It would be greatly appreciated if the MicroG discussion could continue in this thread:

UPDATE: This seems to be the main discussion for MicroG:

"Guide" Thread:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello. I have a question, i'm using LSPosed with AFWall right now, my question is, how to use AFWall with LSPosed, what to check inside LSPosed module app? Can someone enlighten me? Thank you.
    I did not add support for LSPosed. Also going forward, xposed module will be independent and not to be part of AFWall+ itself.
    Is AFWall+ breaks SafetyNet?
    AFWall+ itself shouldn't. But you need root to use it, and rooting generally breaks "safetynet", as some consider a rooted device to be unsafe 🙄
    Despite being blocked by AFWall+, occasionally Google Play still used to notify me of app updates and even worse I could access Play Store, again despite Play Services & Store being blocked by AFWall+.

So in LOS PrivacyGuard I disabled Modify Systems Settings for both packages. So far, no more successful network access. I do see from time to time Store or Services trying to access the internet. AFWall+ logging notifies me of this. Oddly, whenever Google Play Services/Store attempts to access the network I also see AFWall+ reapplying rules.
    I would expect that those modules have something to do with issues with tethering such as an unknown app /service being blocked therefore requiring firewall be disabled in order to tether, eg the modules might be required to help tethering function at all. I could be wrong and there are more knowledgeable people here that might be able to speak to this but I don't think a hack to circumvent service provider limits would go over well at Playstore. No moral judgement, I just think it might not be worth the risk for an app to allow that. Let's see what others and the developer have to say.
    I totally understand what you are saying.

I would think it shouldn't be much of a risk because the NetShare app allows tether limit circumvention and it is still in the playstore with 1M+ downloads.
    Welcome to official support page for AFWall+

Disclaimer - As Usual. I'll not take any responsible if something goes wrong when using AFWall+

Introduction
    AFWall+ is an improved version of DroidWall(front-end application for the powerful iptables Linux firewall). It allows you to restrict which applications are permitted to access your data networks (2G/3G/4G/LTE and/or Wi-Fi and while in roaming).Since the original author of Droidwall
    discontinued the project, I decided to keep the app instead of Avast Firewall. I'll continue to add more features as I can.

Features
    - Supports 5.x to 11.x
    - Import/Export Rules to external storage
    - Search Applications
    - Multiple Profiles with custom names
    - Tasker/Locale support
    - Select All/None/Invert/Clear applications with single click
    - Revamped Rules/Logs Viewer with copy/export to external storage
    - Ability to view the network interfaces
    - Highlight system applications with custom color
    - Notify on new installations
    - Ability to hide application icons( faster loading )
    - Use LockPattern for application protection.
    - Show/Hide application ID.
    - Roaming Control for 3G/Edge
    - VPN Control
    - LAN Control
    - Tether Control
    - IPV6 Control
    - Tor Control
    - Choose able languages
    - Choose able iptables/busybox binary
    - Supports MIPS/x86/ARM
    - DNS Hostname

Changelog - See third Post
    Current Version - 3.5.2

To get Unlocker without Google services - Please follow the instructions here

AFWall+ BETA Program
    1) AFWall+ opt-in for beta program
    2) Install AFWall+ and If you have any issues, just send email from (Menu -> Firewall Rules - > Send error report)

Source Code/Wiki/FAQ
    AFWall+ is an free & opensource application
    Github
    Log an issue
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Many Thanks to @CHEF-KOCH

Translations
    Translations - Please help me with translations in your language.
    http://crowdin.net/project/afwall

Thanks To/Credits
    - German translations by [email protected] & [email protected] & [email protected]
    - French translations by [email protected] & [email protected]
    - Russian translations by [email protected] & YaroslavKa78
    - Spanish translations by [email protected]
    - Dutch translations by [email protected]
    - Japanese translation by [email protected]
    - Ukrainian translation by [email protected]
    - Slovenian translation by bunga [email protected]
    - Chinese Simplified translation by [email protected]
    - Polish translations by tst,Piotr [email protected]
    - Swedish translations by [email protected]
    - Greek Translations by [email protected]
    - Portuguese translations by [email protected]
    - Chinese Traditional by [email protected]
    - Chinese Simplified by wuwufei,tianchaoren @ crowdin
    - Italian translations by [email protected]
    - Romanian tranlations by [email protected]
    - Czech translations by Syk3s

Cheers,
    ukanth

XDA:DevDB Information
    AFWall+ [ IPTables Firewall ], App for the Android General

Contributors
    ukanth
    Source Code: https://github.com/ukanth/afwall

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 3.4.0
    Stable Release Date: 2020-02-09
    Current Beta Version: 3.5.0-BETA1
    Beta Release Date: 2020-09-05

Created 2013-12-03
    Last Updated 2020-09-05
    Version 3.0.1

* Fix: Status toggle widget 1x1
    * Fix: Ability to hide ongoing notification (Stop firewall and restart to hide after disable it in preferences)
    * Fix: Firewall error notification on oreo and above
    * Security: Tile toggle checks for password
    * User reported crashes
    * Updated translations

Previous version 3.0.0

Features:
    * Better support for nougat/oreo and pie.
    * Firewall toggle tile
    * Adaptive Icons
    * Notification channels
    * Tor support

Bugs:
    * General bug fixes and crash reports.
    * Language selection bug
    * Filter selection bug
    * Compatible with magisk 17.x
    * Better handling of background process
    * Drops support for 4.x devices
    * Update languages
    * Updated libraries

Complete Changelog

Hello All,

After careful analysis and testing, I decided not to rewrite the way rules are being applied due to lot of under hood changes required. Instead added few enhancements. Now applying rules from menu will show how many rules are getting applied with progress status. Also when adding/removing few rules , it will apply only those related rules instead of full apply.

Also fixed couple of bugs and enhancements. You can get the full changelog from https://github.com/ukanth/afwall/blob/beta/Changelog.md

This is BETA Version which is not released on playstore. I have been using this for past week and it's stable. But there might be bugs which I haven't encountered. Please test it and report it in case of any issues.

Also I have been following XPrivacy thread on the decision by it's author. Just as FYI, I might fix it for my own usage when I update to nougat, I will share it here if anybody uses it here.

BETA Link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/isvi413qyx6vb4d/AFWall+ 2.9.7-BETA-TESTER.apk?dl=0
    Hello everyone,

I have released 3.0.0 stable on playstore today. It's been a crazy month so far. After going through lot of dilemma of whether to support the existing afwall or write a new one from scratch, finally able to pull myself and release stable version of afwall with lots of bug fixes and new features along with pie support. Since I don't do full time Android development, it was hard to keep track of what's going on with sdk level changes.

Thank you all for your support in AFWall+ development. Without your support it would simply not possible to pull through this.

I will be out for couple of days ( taking off to spend time with my family ) and hopefully will be able to reply to questions once back.

Thanks again and have a great day.
    Hello everyone,

I have released stable version of 3.1.0 to playstore and github. Its live on playstore. You can find the changelog along with md5/sha here

https://github.com/ukanth/afwall/releases/tag/v3.1.0

Thank you all for your continuous support in AFWall+ development.