[5.0+][ROOT][3.5.3] AFWall+ IPTables Firewall [28 JUN 2022]

Search This thread

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Other way around: What VPN app you are using that cooperates with AFWall+?

FWIW I have used PIA VPN with Afwall in "allow selected" mode with "Active rules > VPN" enabled, and with the VPN app (and a handful of system components and selected apps ) given a pass through the firewall. A subset of system components and apps also requires a pass through VPN. This is by no means, a mission-critical lockdown, not even close, but it does serve a purpose for browsing and email access in web interfaces.

Reactions: TiTiB

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Everytime I try to change settings and open afwall 3.5.3, it shows an empty window and android shows the application not responding dialogue. Restarting won't help, waiting neither.
What can I do here on an android 10, poco f1?

Does this occur when you change the rules in the main view, or change the settings via the menus? A screenshot might help as might more details about the device, eg is it rooted? Beyond that, an answer might be found by deeper troubleshooting and logging.

selemine

Nov 22, 2011
POCO X4 Pro
Does this occur when you change the rules in the main view, or change the settings via the menus? A screenshot might help as might more details about the device, eg is it rooted? Beyond that, an answer might be found by deeper troubleshooting and logging.
I can't change rules and settings as the app doesn't render any text or checkboxes. It shows up empty when i hit the launcher shortcut or the persistent notification.
Yes the device is rooted via Magisk as i doubt the app works without it.
It helps if you force close afwall via long press on the icon via the android system settings, but after a while of usage that is necessary again. It is not a permanent solution to the problem.
It is a Poco F1 with Android 10 and the rooted Stock Rom by XIAOMI.

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I can't change rules and settings as the app doesn't render any text or checkboxes. It shows up empty when i hit the launcher shortcut or the persistent notification.
Yes the device is rooted via Magisk as i doubt the app works without it.
It helps if you force close afwall via long press on the icon via the android system settings, but after a while of usage that is necessary again. It is not a permanent solution to the problem.
It is a Poco F1 with Android 10 and the rooted Stock Rom by XIAOMI.

OK, it's not just the combination of android version and root method (I'm using the same combo as are most likely many other people) and it's not lack of root (apologies for asking but sometimes ... ) or a few other things I was fishing for as possibilities. That being said, one of the past issues I was thinking about involved what I would describe as a stacking or an accumulation of many rapidly placed SU requests. IIRC the issue was not widespread nor has it occurred on my devices for some time but it's easy to test for. See what happens after disabling SU for Afwall+ in Magisk and then force close Afwall and then restart it. It should open with a warning that it wants root but then go to the UI. Note: after re-enabling Afwall+ Su in Magisk then force close Afwall+ and reopen it to get it so request root again. Beyond that it might be a matter of testing in clean install (if you are not already) and logging and reporting to the developer at github.

Last edited:

fullerorb7

Jan 4, 2015
It says to Uninstal before reinstall.

I thought it would be a good idea to export my saved preferences.... but it Uninstalled my export data too

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Mix

fullerorb7

Jan 4, 2015
I'm not the 1st person this has happened to.

Dear dev. Please add this in a few places.
Step 1. Export data from free person version
Step 2. Install donate version.
Step 3. Import data from free person version to donate
Step 4. Disable the firewall on free
Step 5. Uninstall free version
Step 6. Enable firewall on donate

Each version is installed in its own folder... delete the app and you also delete the export data

Price increase of 1$ to 10$ I should have the right to call you a lazy dev

• Haha

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I'm not the 1st person this has happened to.

Dear dev. Please add this in a few places.
Step 1. Export data from free person version
Step 2. Install donate version.
Step 3. Import data from free person version to donate
Step 4. Disable the firewall on free
Step 5. Uninstall free version
Step 6. Enable firewall on donate

Each version is installed in its own folder... delete the app and you also delete the export data

Price increase of 1$ to 10$ I should have the right to call you a lazy dev

It's nice that you took the time to find that someone else experienced the same thing but the bad tone and unrealistic expectations of your first post undermined it. Seriously, who wants to listen to you trash the developer for something without even asking if there is a reason for it being that way or if it is even possible to change. Also, you also may be unaware of or unwilling to apply best practices that would have prevented the problem. At least in your second post you were more reasonable and provided a previous reference so... getting to the productive side of the conversation:

- It is apparent from subsequent responses to the quote you posted that the developer is aware of this and that other user acknowledged the developer's acknowledgment. A good way to follow that up would to ask (rather than demand) what's up with that previous request, and whether or not is this something that can be changed.

- There are many apps where beta, release, paid or free versions use different package names and therefore may (or may not) use the same set of configuration files. Regarding Afwall+ you might be able to find the reasons for by asking the developer why it is so.

- Best Practice: In any environment from home to large enterprise one of the most universal bits of advice for backing up any data is to immediately make a copy of the backup elsewhere. Simply put, if you're not doing that you're not protecting your backups. I don't say this to slam you, many people omit this step but one of the most important things about any backup is that you can access it later and that should be secured the moment you create the backup.

Although I've never needed to use those Afwall exported backups (because I use full app backups) I am also curious about why backups are saved where they are and whether or not they could be saved elsewhere.

Last edited:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Regarding exporting rules and settings, some possible clarification:

Another previous report from someone who lost settings after a change in the installation: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...es-firewall-28-jun-2022.1957231/post-84816417

Those reports are from before a change in what Google allows; explanation from developer: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...es-firewall-28-jun-2022.1957231/post-84816775

The location of exported items is described in Afwall+ FAQ at Github https://github.com/ukanth/afwall/wiki/FAQ

"(50) Where are AFWall's settings stored?

Exported content like profiles are stored under your internal sdcard /sdcard0/afwall all other stuff is stored under /data/data/dec.ukanth.ufirewall/.
"

Although I do think it would be beneficial to have a more prevalent warning about the possibility of losing exported material when uninstalling, we are provided with information which indicates that location is a system/app location on the root path rather than user storage.

Last edited:
  • Haha

fullerorb7

Jan 4, 2015
It's nice that you took the time to find that someone else experienced the same thing but the bad tone and unrealistic expectations of your first post undermined it. Seriously, who wants to listen to you trash the developer for something without even asking if there is a reason for it being that way or if it is even possible to change. Also, you also may be unaware of or unwilling to apply best practices that would have prevented the problem. At least in your second post you were more reasonable and provided a previous reference so... getting to the productive side of the conversation:

- It is apparent from subsequent responses to the quote you posted that the developer is aware of this and that other user acknowledged the developer's acknowledgment. A good way to follow that up would to ask (rather than demand) what's up with that previous request, and whether or not is this something that can be changed.

- There are many apps where beta, release, paid or free versions use different package names and therefore may (or may not) use the same set of configuration files. Regarding Afwall+ you might be able to find the reasons for by asking the developer why it is so.

- Best Practice: In any environment from home to large enterprise one of the most universal bits of advice for backing up any data is to immediately make a copy of the backup elsewhere. Simply put, if you're not doing that you're not protecting your backups. I don't say this to slam you, many people omit this step but one of the most important things about any backup is that you can access it later and that should be secured the moment you create the backup.

Although I've never needed to use those Afwall exported backups (because I use full app backups) I am also curious about why backups are saved where they are and whether or not they could be saved elsewhere.
Your right. I'm sorry I was slightly... abnormally rude. Some other issues caused me to lash out and I shouldn't have.

After previously dealing with some other BS, I spent over an hour making the perfect settings on afwall+... and learning the app too.
I decided I liked the app enough to get premium.
I do what his instructions tell me to(uninstall the old version to avoid problems)... and all my EXPORTED data gets deleted.

1. He could have coded that problem away.(not required)
2. Just give a real set of ... instructions. My 1-5 step set that I just wrote would have prevented everything. ... I got the right to be upset.

Extreme but accurate analogy:
What if android didn't tell you after 3 login attempts you get a factory reset? And what if there was no option on your phone to disable that or change it to 20-30 attempts?

Bruh give me(or anyone who is fluent in multiple coding languages) the source code and access to Google... that wouldn't take a week... or max of two....
Now..... a simple set of instructions for this issue not to happen. 2 MIN!!!!!

those 2 minutes that he didn't want to spend(on just text instructions) wasted over 1 of my hours. And I paid him 10$.

{Mod edit: In reference to rule no. 2.1 inappropriate language removed. Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator}

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha

fullerorb7

Jan 4, 2015
Some x years ago 10$ for its current state would be worth it.
I'm downloading netguard.... I think I'll use both of these simultaneously.

Netguard has a good logger that afwall doesn't have(which is the only reason I paid for premium)
I need to use netguard to figure out which app ID matches the logs in afwall+.

I am being a fool, yes, maybe a little too much, but what I'm saying can be reasoned with.

{Mod edit: In reference to rule no. 2.1 inappropriate language edited. Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator}

fullerorb7

Jan 4, 2015
Apps usually don't have an export function.
If there wasn't I'd use titaniumbackup like usual and be good

@dev
I know it doesnt sound like it, but you have my support. Good app. Just needs minor updates.

Last edited:

Tom Mix

Oct 7, 2007
@ukanth there are some out there knowing what you are trying inside the pile of :poop: called android 🤡
but remember: "a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof
is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" 🤪
keep on 👍

@ consumers...
[OT]one should consider that this whole 'android-thing' is a WiP and no guarantee/warranty is given at anytime for anything!
so everything based or operating on this immature alpha-code merchant platform will fail, sooner or later!
luckily nobody cares about that 💓 [/OT]
keep on consuming 🦄

@IronTechmonkey
nobody RTFM :rolleyes:

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I appreciate that you mitigated your initial tone but you’re still all over the road and factually wrong about some things. There’s no need for the continued verbal abuse as you’ve already made a point, so distilling things back down to the issue at hand and clarifying a few things here we go…

1. He could have coded that problem away. (not required)

Experience with some (but not all) other apps would seem to indicate that is true but we don’t know that until the dev speaks to it. That is why it is logical to ask before criticizing.

2. Just give a real set of ... instructions.

Yes, instructions for exporting which include a reminder that the data export will be in the app folder could have prevented the loss but if you had followed due diligence this would not have happened. In the universe of rooted devices there is a reasonable expectation on users to understand the ramifications of their actions (IE due diligence). Afwall may have been able to prevent this loss but since we don’t know that for sure the responsibility is ours.

… give me(or anyone who is fluent in multiple coding languages) the source code and access to Google... that wouldn't take a week... or max of two....
Now..... a simple set of instructions for this issue not to happen. 2 MIN!!!!!

those 2 minutes that he didn't want to spend(on just text instructions) wasted over 1 of my hours. And I paid him 10$.

Then stop squawking and go design a better firewall app. Not only did you not do your due diligence to protect your data even though the information was available to remind you to do so but you seem to have no idea about the reasons for the developer’s recent light presence. I'm looking forward to seeing your shiny new and perfectly behaved IP tables based android firewall app shortly but in the meantime I'll get back on topic in the next post. :D.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I posted this reply separate the because it’s actually about on topic of issue you reported unlike most of the previous stuff.

Some x years ago 10$ for its current state would be worth it.
I'm downloading netguard.... I think I'll use both of these simultaneously.

Netguard has a good logger that afwall doesn't have(which is the only reason I paid for premium)
I need to use netguard to figure out which app ID matches the logs in afwall+.

Netguard’s logging features are indeed sprawling and robust. That being said, because Netguard uses VPN instead of IP tables (which is why you may be able to run both simultaneously) there may be different limitations regarding logging, most notably because Netguard does not require root while Afwall+ does require root. I’m not saying this is so but considering it as a possible factor.

Apps usually don't have an export function.

This is inaccurate. Not only do many apps have an export function but some can export any of a number of different configurations for the given app, some allow a choice of location, and some come no choice but with a reminder to go get your backup before the app gets deleted.

I know it doesnt sound like it, but you have my support. Good app. Just needs minor updates.

I don’t care about whether you like the app or not. I care about having a respectful and productive dialog, and keeping in mind the request at hand. Regarding that request alone: Call me a +1 for having some way to preserve exported data when the app is uninstalled, or to get an explanation of why that cannot be done if it cannot be done.

Last edited:

fullerorb7

Jan 4, 2015
Then stop squawking and go design a better firewall app. Not only did you not do your due diligence to protect your data even though the information was available to remind you to do so but you seem to have no idea about the reasons for the developer’s recent light presence. I'm looking forward to seeing your shiny new and perfectly behaved IP tables based android firewall app shortly but in the meantime I'll get back on topic in the next post. :D.

He made a good app. I'm impressed. I don't mind spending 10$.
I'll continue to use it.

A reason for the 500-900% price increase would be ideal.
I'm saying goodbye to this thread now...... sorry for being a fool once again.

I'm a failing addict and can't manage my own priorities. I won't be making one.

{Mod edit: In reference to rule no. 2.1 inappropriate language edited. XDA is a website for all ages. Please watch your language! Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator}

• Haha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is everyone using this just to block certain IP addresses as opposed to blocking internet usage of an app? Doing so renders the app useless and could even make it misbehave as it tried to connect. I had this app downloaded but then uninstalled it because I couldn't find a use case. I had hoped to have an option to block internet when the app wasn't in the foreground, but I didn't see this option.
    You're not very clear in your comment. 🤔 Doing what makes the app useless? And the app does work in the background. Are you rooted?
    Hello, there!
    I love AFWall+, but here's a problem.

After starting the phone it takes some time for AFWall+ to start and apply rules, during that time some apps may access the internet, send logs, etc even if they are restricted by the firewall preferences.
    It's even worse when AFWall+ fails to apply the rules for some reason, it happens some times (I don't know the reason, it happens rarely), and then I may forget to check if the rules are applied successfully and continue to use the phone, while the firewall isn't actually working.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the leak? Is there some "kill-switch" that will block everything (including the OS itself) and allow only those apps that are whitelisted and only in case when the rules are applied successfully? Any ideas?

Thanks!
    '
    What you want to know is documented at Afwall github pages and often discussed here, and is made fairly obvious by an exploration of settings within the app.. This is not a mere RTM nag, but you seem to know your way around and would benefit from checking those resources. For starters

Regarding startup see: Preferences > Experimental > Fix startup data leak

Regarding application of rules: Preferences > Rules/Connectivity Add Delay might mitigate the issues with rules if it occurs after startup. For instance, sometimes when rules are changed manually and then there is a quick switch to another app or home screen, the application of rules may fail. The aforementioned delay setting mitigates that within the OS. For startup see Preferences > Experimental, the first two items may be applicable.
    Most likely you blocked Phone or components of the phone are in ID [1000] which is maybe also blocked.
    Welcome to official support page for AFWall+

Disclaimer - As Usual. I'll not take any responsible if something goes wrong when using AFWall+

Introduction
    AFWall+ is an improved version of DroidWall(front-end application for the powerful iptables Linux firewall). It allows you to restrict which applications are permitted to access your data networks (2G/3G/4G/LTE and/or Wi-Fi and while in roaming).Since the original author of Droidwall
    discontinued the project, I decided to keep the app instead of Avast Firewall. I'll continue to add more features as I can.

Features
    - Supports 5.x to 12.x
    - Import/Export Rules to external storage
    - Search Applications
    - Multiple Profiles with custom names
    - Tasker/Locale support
    - Select All/None/Invert/Clear applications with single click
    - Revamped Rules/Logs Viewer with copy/export to external storage
    - Ability to view the network interfaces
    - Highlight system applications with custom color
    - Notify on new installations
    - Ability to hide application icons( faster loading )
    - Use LockPattern for application protection.
    - Show/Hide application ID.
    - Roaming Control for 3G/Edge
    - VPN Control
    - LAN Control
    - Tether Control
    - IPV6 Control
    - Tor Control
    - Choose able languages
    - Choose able iptables/busybox binary
    - Supports MIPS/x86/ARM
    - DNS Hostname

Changelog - See third Post
    Current Version - 3.5.3

To get Unlocker without Google services - Please follow the instructions here

AFWall+ BETA Program
    1) AFWall+ opt-in for beta program
    2) Install AFWall+ and If you have any issues, just send email from (Menu -> Firewall Rules - > Send error report)

Source Code/Wiki/FAQ
    AFWall+ is an free & opensource application
    Github
    Log an issue
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Many Thanks to @CHEF-KOCH

Translations
    Translations - Please help me with translations in your language.
    http://crowdin.net/project/afwall

Thanks To/Credits
    - German translations by [email protected] & [email protected] & [email protected]
    - French translations by [email protected] & [email protected]
    - Russian translations by [email protected] & YaroslavKa78
    - Spanish translations by [email protected]
    - Dutch translations by [email protected]
    - Japanese translation by [email protected]
    - Ukrainian translation by [email protected]
    - Slovenian translation by bunga [email protected]
    - Chinese Simplified translation by [email protected]
    - Polish translations by tst,Piotr [email protected]
    - Swedish translations by [email protected]
    - Greek Translations by [email protected]
    - Portuguese translations by [email protected]
    - Chinese Traditional by [email protected]
    - Chinese Simplified by wuwufei,tianchaoren @ crowdin
    - Italian translations by [email protected]
    - Romanian tranlations by [email protected]
    - Czech translations by Syk3s

Cheers,
    ukanth

XDA:DevDB Information
    AFWall+ [ IPTables Firewall ], App for the Android General

Contributors
    ukanth
    Source Code: https://github.com/ukanth/afwall

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 3.5.3
    Stable Release Date: 2022-06-28
    Current Beta Version:
    Beta Release Date: 2022-06-28

Created 2013-12-03
    Last Updated 2020-09-05
    Version 3.0.1

* Fix: Status toggle widget 1x1
    * Fix: Ability to hide ongoing notification (Stop firewall and restart to hide after disable it in preferences)
    * Fix: Firewall error notification on oreo and above
    * Security: Tile toggle checks for password
    * User reported crashes
    * Updated translations

Previous version 3.0.0

Features:
    * Better support for nougat/oreo and pie.
    * Firewall toggle tile
    * Adaptive Icons
    * Notification channels
    * Tor support

Bugs:
    * General bug fixes and crash reports.
    * Language selection bug
    * Filter selection bug
    * Compatible with magisk 17.x
    * Better handling of background process
    * Drops support for 4.x devices
    * Update languages
    * Updated libraries

Complete Changelog

Hello All,

After careful analysis and testing, I decided not to rewrite the way rules are being applied due to lot of under hood changes required. Instead added few enhancements. Now applying rules from menu will show how many rules are getting applied with progress status. Also when adding/removing few rules , it will apply only those related rules instead of full apply.

Also fixed couple of bugs and enhancements. You can get the full changelog from https://github.com/ukanth/afwall/blob/beta/Changelog.md

This is BETA Version which is not released on playstore. I have been using this for past week and it's stable. But there might be bugs which I haven't encountered. Please test it and report it in case of any issues.

Also I have been following XPrivacy thread on the decision by it's author. Just as FYI, I might fix it for my own usage when I update to nougat, I will share it here if anybody uses it here.

BETA Link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/isvi413qyx6vb4d/AFWall+ 2.9.7-BETA-TESTER.apk?dl=0
    Hello everyone,

I have released 3.0.0 stable on playstore today. It's been a crazy month so far. After going through lot of dilemma of whether to support the existing afwall or write a new one from scratch, finally able to pull myself and release stable version of afwall with lots of bug fixes and new features along with pie support. Since I don't do full time Android development, it was hard to keep track of what's going on with sdk level changes.

Thank you all for your support in AFWall+ development. Without your support it would simply not possible to pull through this.

I will be out for couple of days ( taking off to spend time with my family ) and hopefully will be able to reply to questions once back.

Thanks again and have a great day.
    Hello everyone,

I have released stable version of 3.1.0 to playstore and github. Its live on playstore. You can find the changelog along with md5/sha here

https://github.com/ukanth/afwall/releases/tag/v3.1.0

Thank you all for your continuous support in AFWall+ development.