Tried this and am seeing a bit more snappiness all around. Can these exact tweaks be done on Sprint S5 also or would they need to be modified for that phone? My wife and kids all have S5, and I'd like to do theirs too.
Hello from the V10 Forum! This is a mod I created and posted for V10 users, but as various devices use Qualcomm hardware and similar operational conditions, the biggest similarity being Linux , and by some requests from others here to post this, I am offering this modification to other devices as well. It is already thoroughly tested and the logic and rationale behind the conditions are cross compatible with many Linux systems/machines anyways. You should see positive results just as everybody else has.
You must be rooted to apply this mod.
**SEE POST 2 FOR CHANGE LOG**
***VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THIS MOD, you need to navigate to the /system/etc folder on your device, and rename any files that exist in that sub-folder that have the words "ZRAM" in them to have a .bak extension rather than a .sh extension so it does not run at boot.
You will also need to navigate to the /system/bin directory with a root explorer and rename the "mpdecision" binary to "0mpdecision.bak" .... The added 0 is just to move it to the top of the list of files so you can find it easily if you need to.
This is a step by step instruction on how to replace the /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh file for the device. Be it known, however, that this instruction (and file) can be used with any device running the Snapdragon 805 SoC combo.
What does this do?
Simple. It turns your device into an even more efficient powerhouse. Here are is a list of everything done:
-Interactive Governor tuning for performance and better battery life, a quick description of what I did...
-low load, quick response, low frequency
-high load, quick response, higher frequency
-modified input boost settings for Interactive
-Locked cpu cores on - your battery life will not suffer, don't worry.
-Modified a bunch of system permissions to remove samsung garbage from controlling hardware.
-Switched IO scheduler to noop, and tuned accordingly
-Adjusted minfree values (RAM management, it is a little more multi-tasking friendly)
-Adjusted VM parameters - swappiness, dirty ratios, cache pressure, centisec values, etc (again to complement multi-tasking... your data will hang out a little bit more before being written to disk, but house cleaning won't happen all at once, so there is still good performance and your system won't bog down while it is flushing the toilet)
-DISABLED zRAM!!! - I have no idea why a device with 3 GB of RAM has zRAM enabled. This is purely a waste of CPU cycles and other system resources. You want physical memory, not compressed memory.
-Changed congestion algorithm to cubic (better network performance... assuming the network bandwidth is already there
-Cleaned up the shell file and fixed some errors.
-Removed calls to mpdecision
-More to come!
How to do this, we'll just get right to it.
Very important you put the file on the root of your INTERNAL SDCARD!!!
Do not forget to do this.
After you do that, open terminal emulator, and type the following commands in the order they are presented (I would highly recommend just copying them from this post one by one and switching back and forth between your browser and the terminal app):
mount -o remount,rw /system
mv init.qcom.post_boot.sh /system/etc
chmod 0644 /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh
Double check the file has been replaced with a file explorer of some sort, double check permissions, then reboot. Good to go.
5/14/2016 -Modified scaling up activity to be a little less aggressive, this should help battery life quite a bit
-Switched scheduler to cfq and tuned it, huge increases in io throughput - the new cfq should be used for these devices, no comparison in performance to any other
-Moved. above_hispeed_delay module down the pole a bit (moAr batteries)
I just did this the old manual way in root explorer. Added .bak to post boot instead of .sh, copied the new post boot to system/etc and changed permissions. Added .bak to mpdecision. No zram files for us to edit. Rebooted. Ran antutu with a 5,000 point increase. With MM I steady got 70,450's and now.
This is great for now until we get some well built custom kernels. All the roms I flashed since I had the note 4 from launch day, and I don't think any devs worked on tweaking the post boot like they used to on the HTC eVo line like I was used to.