Question 5g connectivity

Search This thread

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure if it has been addressed, but has anyone here in the states been able to connect to band n41 for 5g on TMobile? Phones says it is 5g ready on TMobile but all I get is 4g+. Which btw is getting me 100+ dl speeds on average, but just wanted to know if there is something I'm missing to get 5g. In preferred network settings,all I can choose is 4g/ LTE or 3g/2g. No 5g option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Music&Art

Dec 14, 2015
Not sure if it has been addressed, but has anyone here in the states been able to connect to band n41 for 5g on TMobile? Phones says it is 5g ready on TMobile but all I get is 4g+. Which btw is getting me 100+ dl speeds on average, but just wanted to know if there is something I'm missing to get 5g. In preferred network settings,all I can choose is 4g/ LTE or 3g/2g. No 5g option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Which model of the phone do you have? I have the Chinese variant on Metro and 5G works flawlessly. I know they run on T-Mobile towers so they should have the same bands, I'm guessing, or maybe not.

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010
Which model of the phone do you have? I have the Chinese variant on Metro and 5G works flawlessly. I know they run on T-Mobile towers so they should have the same bands, I'm guessing, or maybe not.
Thanks for the reply. I have the global version. What happened when you first inserted your sim card? Mine said downloading network info or something.

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010
Yes I believe they have the same bands. I cannot get the preferred network to show 5g as an option. What area are you in? I'm in the Philadelphia area.

Music&Art

Dec 14, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I have the global version. What happened when you first inserted your sim card? Mine said downloading network info or something.
I had to chat with one of the employees there to give them the new IMEI number so they could switch the phone in my account. When I first put the sim in, it actually told me that the sim card was not accepted since it was a China mainland phone. I almost thought I wasted my money and could not keep the phone. The 5g option was there from the beggining though but I was getting no signal at all. I finally found the network reset option after the employee suggested it and reset the network, restarted the phone and it finally worked. Also voLTE works as well. Up until this phone, I tried a global Mate 40 Pro and MI 11 Ultra and neither of them had that option available. Not sure why.

Also, on this version it doesn't even say the preferred network option. If I go under Mobile Network & Sim 1 that's where it shows 5g and I can toggle it on or off.

Last edited:

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010
I had to chat with one of the employees there to give them the new IMEI number so they could switch the phone in my account. When I first put the sim in, it actually told me that the sim card was not accepted since it was a China mainland phone. I almost thought I wasted my money and could not keep the phone. The 5g option was there from the beggining though but I was getting no signal at all. I finally found the network reset option after the employee suggested it and reset the network, restarted the phone and it finally worked. Also voLTE works as well. Up until this phone, I tried a global Mate 40 Pro and MI 11 Ultra and neither of them had that option available. Not sure why.

Also, on this version it doesn't even say the preferred network option. If I go under Mobile Network & Sim 1 that's where it shows 5g and I can toggle it on or off.
Can you post a screenshot please? Do you think it might be my SIM card. It's the same one since 2019 that came with one plus 7pro lol.

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010

Also what region did you choose at setup?

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010

Soooio.... My SIM card is not 5g compatible lol. Will try a new card later and report back. Thanks for the help

Music&Art

Dec 14, 2015
No go. I think the 5g has been disabled somehow
What happens if you go to Mobile Network --> SIM 1? This is what it shows on mine. I think the 5g came on automatically for mine. But here is where it shows the 5g toggle. I'm not sure how the settings look on the global one since I think it runs on Funtouch. Mine is on Origin OS. I'm not sure if that plays a part in 5g as well.

IMG_20220626_143930.jpg

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010
What happens if you go to Mobile Network --> SIM 1? This is what it shows on mine. I think the 5g came on automatically for mine. But here is where it shows the 5g toggle. I'm not sure how the settings look on the global one since I think it runs on Funtouch. Mine is on Origin OS. I'm not sure if that plays a part in 5g as well.

View attachment 5646425
Nope. Nothing like that. 5g won't even show up. I think vivo blocked the option. I'm in contact with them. I'll report back when they respond. I'm confused. Phone is awesome otherwise.

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010

View attachment 5646425
My screenshot...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220626_173840.jpg
    Screenshot_20220626_173840.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 9

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010
Try this: in your phone app dial *#*#4636#*#* and select Phone Info. In that window scroll down to: Set Preferred Network Type and use the drop down arrow to select NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA
Still nothing. 4g only option. When you first started phone/inserted sim, did you get a notification saying to update carrier provisioning? I did but I think that messed up something...

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
No message when I inserted my SIM, but then I wouldn't expect any carrier specific updates to provision services on my phone as my carrier hasn't certified and doesn't support Vivo phones. Consequently I don't have VoLTE or Wifi Calling toggles in my SIM settings. I do however have the "enable 5G" toggle (and it works because I do connect to 5G) because that setting is baked into the firmware and is not something pushed by the carrier. I don't expect this would make any difference, but you can enable developer options and toggle on VoNR. That is the new voice over 5G technology that is replacing VoLTE (voice over 4G) with some carriers.