Question 5G performance

Search This thread

Izy

I mean in UK I saw no one complaining about the s20 5g note 5g etc yet it's an exynos.

But most parts of UK are still space, in my city center is the only place for 5G and only certain parts.

But it's quick

Screenshot_20211124-160122.png

Reactions: headcreepz

Culex316

Apr 1, 2012
Miami, FL
Samsung Galaxy S20
I've done a comprehensive deep-dive into the modem's capabilities. That's not saying much with the available diag tools and data to look at are practically non-existent. The logs I can pull are useless since I don't have those tools. We've only been able to pull out the carrier aggregation combos and bands that are actively offered by a tower. There's nothing allowing us to make a full device report yet. Cellmapper is usable for SA but anchor bands don't always show up for NSA. One thing it does right is band indicators for NSA.

It's not as fast as a Snapdragon X60 or Release 16 like Mediatek. 5G aggregation, TDD-FDD aggregation, and VoNR should all be possible based on its S20/21 siblings' spec sheets, modem dumps, and slideshows but are mostly unproven. What makes the Exynos 5123b better than an Exynos 5123a? We have no clue.

What does this mean for the Pixel 7? The Exynos 2200 modem is still an unknown but Google should adopt the Snapdragon X65 instead.

This is literally all we know without getting into the weeds.

I'm still trying to figure out diag modes for this phone. I can get the modem and serial devices to show up. Per my conversations with cstark:

Everything seems to be controlled by /vendor/bin/modem_logging_control and /vendor/bin/dmd.

Regular invoke can yield usable logs and we can also get the apps started in SHANNON_DM or SHANNON_APP mode after START, but no idea what to do with them.

The Shannon DM version floating around is too old and I haven't gotten a decent scat setup. Airscreen might work but Network Signal Guru doesn't. No tools for this phone are good at the moment.
This website seems to already have some carrier aggregation combinations/bands for the Pixel 6 Pro, but it only lists the ones that correspond to a particular mobile phone carrier configuration, i.e. the supported bands that it reports changes whenever you insert a SIM from AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.

From what you're telling us, it seems that obtaining the actual hardware capabilities is still pretty elusive.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
The December update looks like it could be substantial.

Early indications suggest that NR-CA being added. This means 5G signals can soon be combined. Awaiting further analysis.

This would be a major achievement for the modem.

Last edited:

jstys92

Jul 2, 2014
I've done a comprehensive deep-dive into the modem's capabilities. That's not saying much with the available diag tools and data to look at are practically non-existent. The logs I can pull are useless since I don't have those tools. We've only been able to pull out the carrier aggregation combos and bands that are actively offered by a tower. There's nothing allowing us to make a full device report yet. Cellmapper is usable for SA but anchor bands don't always show up for NSA. One thing it does right is band indicators for NSA.

It's not as fast as a Snapdragon X60 or Release 16 like Mediatek. 5G aggregation, TDD-FDD aggregation, and VoNR should all be possible based on its S20/21 siblings' spec sheets, modem dumps, and slideshows but are mostly unproven. What makes the Exynos 5123b better than an Exynos 5123a? We have no clue.

What does this mean for the Pixel 7? The Exynos 2200 modem is still an unknown but Google should adopt the Snapdragon X65 instead.

I'm still trying to figure out diag modes for this phone. I can get the modem and serial devices to show up. Per my conversations with cstark:

Everything seems to be controlled by /vendor/bin/modem_logging_control and /vendor/bin/dmd.

Regular invoke can yield usable logs and we can also get the apps started in SHANNON_DM or SHANNON_APP mode after START, but no idea what to do with them.

The Shannon DM version floating around is too old and I haven't gotten a decent scat setup. Airscreen might work but Network Signal Guru doesn't. No tools for this phone are good at the moment.
Is this something that's had any developments? I've recently verified my setup w/ scat.py and the leaked shannondm with an older s7 but haven't had any luck with the pixel6 yet. Came to the same spot you are in with the serial port being exposed prior to stumbling upon this thread.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Is this something that's had any developments? I've recently verified my setup w/ scat.py and the leaked shannondm with an older s7 but haven't had any luck with the pixel6 yet. Came to the same spot you are in with the serial port being exposed prior to stumbling upon this thread.
I had tried scat but wasn't sure of the correct flags. Usually craps out when it scans the port.

With respect to Network Signal Guru, version 4.0.3 was finally published today. There still might be some weirdness in dual sim configurations if the 4.1 alphas are any indication. I've found disabling DSDS in the *#*#4636#*#* menu to be helpful.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Looks like Network Signal Guru 4.0.4 now includes 4G band locking for Exynos and Pixel 6. It's pretty crude compared to what I'm used to with Qualcomm but it works.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
T-Mobile users might like this.

Did some more digging. I thought January only added 2-46-66_n71-n41 aggregation. It looks like T-Mobile turned on NR-CA overall for more towers over the past day or so.

But it looks like the phone can also do 2-66_n71-n41. That means I'm aggregating 2 4G bands and then aggregating 2 5G bands in NSA.

Unfortunately, the NSA aggregation and n71-n41 SA aggregation is prioritizing extremely weak signals and it's not live on every home tower around me.

Last edited:
Reactions: a63548

MArtyChubbs

I'm currently using my P6P on Google Fi (which is essentially T-Mobile) and my P6 on Verizon

It's interesting that on P6P (Google Fi 5G) my current speeds are 490/9ish and my P6 on Verizon is only pulling 31ish/2.5ish. I'm truly interested now if it's in regards to the phone model or my service providers. I'm going to run a few test and play around with this!

If anyone wants to see the speed results I can upload those as well! But overall data speeds and consistency has been amazing on the P6P/P6
On Verizon, get same performance with LTE and 5g . Nothing special with regular 5g, but hoping 5g C-band will be a big difference over 5g. Expecting C-band to be available tomorrow after the new firmware release. 🤞

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

resetprop ro.bootmode usbradio
    resetprop ro.build.type userdebug
    setprop sys.usb.config acm,dm,adb
    setprop persist.vendor.usb.usbradio.config dm

Revert:
    setprop vendor.modem.logging.shannon_logging false
    setprop persist.vendor.modem.logging.shannon_app false

modem_logging_control START
    modem_logging_control STOP

Does that matter and why? $900 for tech already outdated by a year... I can understand if budget phone. $900 is not a budget device.

Sounds like they skipped out on others like inferior panel as well. So it definitely seems Pixel once again is a gimmick phone. And their fans will defend it because of it's gimmicks without acknowledging once again its a phone with pricetags not backed by haddwarw but camera software gimmicks.
    I have never had a pixel device, but I can still say it's an amazing deal. You're someone who expects an exact $1200 Samsung clone for $900. You're either a troll or shallow, no body likes either of those things.
    I am in San Francisco on T-Mobile and live in one of the few locations where there is a hole in 5G service. On the cusp, I teeter between 5G, 4G and 3G when at home. Yes, I am on Wi-Fi when in my flat so this is less an issue.

However, I've turned off 5G altogether because the modem or software refuses to switch from an unusably weak 5G signal before picking up 4G.

This was making my phone unusable when walking around in the city playing Ingress. I was constantly toggling airplane mode to reconnect and by the time I do, the portal I was attempting to destroy have been recharged by the enemy. Google has crossed the line when they start messing with my gaming. ;)

On a positive note, my phone hasn't been snatched out of my hand by thieves so I should be thankful for that. 😂
    Does that matter and why? $900 for tech already outdated by a year... I can understand if budget phone. $900 is not a budget device.

Sounds like they skipped out on others like inferior panel as well. So it definitely seems Pixel once again is a gimmick phone. And their fans will defend it because of it's gimmicks without acknowledging once again its a phone with pricetags not backed by haddwarw but camera software gimmicks.
    In order to get the new technology it would cost more then 900. Sounds like you are trying to compare apples with oranges. If you want the newest tech, then you pay for it. If you think samsung is the greatest, why consider pixel?
    I'm currently using my P6P on Google Fi (which is essentially T-Mobile) and my P6 on Verizon

It's interesting that on P6P (Google Fi 5G) my current speeds are 490/9ish and my P6 on Verizon is only pulling 31ish/2.5ish. I'm truly interested now if it's in regards to the phone model or my service providers. I'm going to run a few test and play around with this!

If anyone wants to see the speed results I can upload those as well! But overall data speeds and consistency has been amazing on the P6P/P6