• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

5S/5G Roms and Root Mega thread [Updated Sep 2021]

Should I Release a Modified Over clocked Kernel for the 5S device and Roms ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not really interested. Phone is fast enough.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Mikedot

Jun 19, 2020
I believe I have tried it, but I could always try again.
I have flashed it back to the base firmware before and did multiple OTA updates with it. It's just when I get to v8.57 android 11 update, it always have installation failures.

Patrick Morgan

Mar 20, 2008
Montreal QC
I believe I have tried it, but I could always try again.
I have flashed it back to the base firmware before and did multiple OTA updates with it. It's just when I get to v8.57 android 11 update, it always have installation failures.
what you are having trouble with is your recovery.

A10 TWRP is not compatible with A11. 8.57 and over is Android 11.

its failing a recovery partition check.

Patrick Morgan

Mar 20, 2008
Montreal QC
Okay, so what should I do to fix this so I can get onto A11 version?
easiest way, since you've already re wiped your system, is to format your data, update TWRP to a version compatible to A11

then if you have unlocked bootloader,

install the A11 update as normal through A11 (got to verify you use the right twrp, some dont have data access on A11) - or use a OTG drive on twrp.

if you have bootloader bypassed,

you need to copy YOUR vbmeta to the A11 zip before you flash.

this should install correctly then boot.

if you have more trouble we have a simple click by click tutorial zip you just unzip and double click each step it does the commands for you. you can get the zip on our telegram group chat.

Last edited:

Mikedot

Jun 19, 2020
easiest way, since you've already re wiped your system, is to format your data, update TWRP to a version compatible to A11

then if you have unlocked bootloader,

install the A11 update as normal through A11 (got to verify you use the right twrp, some dont have data access on A11) - or use a OTG drive on twrp.

if you have bootloader bypassed,

you need to copy YOUR vbmeta to the A11 zip before you flash.

this should install correctly then boot.

if you have more trouble we have a simple click by click tutorial zip you just unzip and double click each step it does the commands for you. you can get the zip on our telegram group chat.

Nice. I'll join as soon as I can.

Last edited:
v.8.64 (Global - Non-EU) is now on the Nubia download site.

v.7.60 (Global - EU) is also available (actually, this one's listed on the Redmagic.gg support page)

I haven't tried either so can't comment.

Update - just installed v.8.64 - so far, so good, but I don't see any update notes.

It says it has the Aug. 2021 Google Security Update which is nice since the latest RM6 update only has July 2021 (just got that OTA yesterday on my spouse's RM6).

Unfortunately, still can't use Google's Phone App (ringtone notification not working).

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

Mar 20, 2008
Montreal QC

v.7.60 (Global - EU) is also available (actually, this one's listed on the Redmagic.gg support page)

Update - just installed v.8.64 - so far, so good, but I don't see any update notes.

It says it has the Aug. 2021 Google Security Update which is nice since the latest RM6 update only has July 2021 (just got that OTA yesterday on my spouse's RM6).

Unfortunately, still can't use Google's Phone App (ringtone notification not working).

Thanks for the update.

I've updated the main post with all the current latest roms, and added a partial change log from what we've seen in our testing group.

8.64 US global

7.64 EU global

9.40 China

jssuarez1994

Apr 11, 2015
i just wanna ask about my nubia redmagic5g it's because of the bug in GAME ENHANCEMENT, it can't be change the saturation of it and also I check my fps in ACTIVITY LAUNCHER APPS and i found out that it has only 120hz but in my phone setting in display it has 144hz..thanks for the answer..God bless! more power!
inbound4704117591073377823.png

zedbest

Apr 19, 2013
Bologna
Hello! I just ugraded to V7.64 and I cannot login to my Google Account: after I accept the conditions, it says "Your account is not been added. Retry". Any solution, please?
EDIT: problem solved, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick Morgan

josehdx

Nov 27, 2016

Patrick Morgan

Mar 20, 2008
Montreal QC
How come the OP recommends flashing official updates through twrp as opposed to just doing a local update through gui?

Two Questions.

1. Where in the OP does it state that its perfectly ok to install stock official images in TWRP (other than bootloader unlocked devices)? cause when doing it through local update in system settings, its gives a funny error that says you're rooted and does not let you install from the system.

2. did you read the OP or just skim through it?

the answers to your questions are in the OP.

You cannot install official update zips through TWRP without them being modified in some way (to retain root), (or you erase TWRP and Root from your phone) (unless you're on bootloader unlocked device)

this is explained in the UPDATE instructions sections. there are 3 parts. the first part is for those people that have stock phones, not rooted you can update through system local update. the second part is for people that have rooted phones with bootloader locked status must be through TWRP. and the 3rd is for those that have bootloader unlocked status (if you want to keep root without having to reroot after update the zip still needs to be modified, or magisk reinstalled.

the error you're experiencing I assume is that you are trying to install an Android 11 update zip in TWRP made for Android 10. so your recovery is causing the failure because its not updated to support Android 11.

I hope that answers your questions.

Reactions: ctakah27

ctakah27

Oct 20, 2010
NYC
Two Questions.

1. Where in the OP does it state that its perfectly ok to install stock official images in TWRP (other than bootloader unlocked devices)? cause when doing it through local update in system settings, its gives a funny error that says you're rooted and does not let you install from the system.

You cannot install official update zips through TWRP without them being modified in some way (to retain root), (or you erase TWRP and Root from your phone) (unless you're on bootloader unlocked device)

this is explained in the UPDATE instructions sections. there are 3 parts. the first part is for those people that have stock phones, not rooted you can update through system local update. the second part is for people that have rooted phones with bootloader locked status must be through TWRP. and the 3rd is for those that have bootloader unlocked status (if you want to keep root without having to reroot after update the zip still needs to be modified, or magisk reinstalled.

the error you're experiencing I assume is that you are trying to install an Android 11 update zip in TWRP made for Android 10. so your recovery is causing the failure because its not updated to support Android 11.

Yep. Thanks. Y'all helped me out already in the telegram group.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello! I just ugraded to V7.64 and I cannot login to my Google Account: after I accept the conditions, it says "Your account is not been added. Retry". Any solution, please?
    I'm not sure if your issue persist but google servers in Europe are having issues (https://support.google.com/accounts...dd-my-google-account-to-android-devices?hl=en). The way you can work around is connecting to Americas servers via vpn

hey Pat, i already downloaded 8.64, what is its MD5 ? i would like to check first thanks !
    How come the OP recommends flashing official updates through twrp as opposed to just doing a local update through gui?

Two Questions.

TWRP and root guide for 5S and 5G on Android 10 only - (these steps will NOT unlock your bootloader) - these steps use a bypass method to install a recovery without unlocking bootloader. the command below is to allow flashing of partitions. bootloader status is still locked during and after process is complete.

Note. if you already have ADB and fastboot drivers installed, this folder will work as is. if not I put an installer in the folder too to install a mini adb fastboot setup. which needs windows driver signing turned off (windows 8-10) this can be done by going to advanced startup and choosing to boot without driver signing.

1. Download zip file found at the end of this post

2. Extract to root of C: drive

3. open CMD prompt with admin privileges

4. CD to the ADB folder you extracted. (CD = Change Directory)

5. Connect your device in Fastboot mode (power off. hold volume down +Power until it vibrates. then release power but continue to hold volume down)

6. Once in fastboot mode, with cable connected to the computer run these commands

7. fastboot oem nubia_unlock NUBIA_NX659J (this allows you to flash the device partitions)

8. fastboot flash recovery TWRP-xxx.img (xxx being the version number of the TWRP image you choose to install)

9. fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img

10. reboot to recovery (from the fastboot menu) it should load TWRP

11. if TWRP does not ask you to keep recovery from being over written, go to advanced and choose disable replace TWRP. to keep TWRP as your recovery, and stop the system from re writing the stock recovery.

12. Reboot to system for the first time and complete the initial setup. this is to create the user space partitions data/media ( preferably do not make a pin or pattern at this stage)

13. once in the rom, connect to PC and copy over the Magisk zip to the internal memory. then reboot holding Volume up

14. once back into TWRP (if you created a pin during setup TWRP will ask you for your pin to access data) go into install and flash the Magisk.zip you moved in step 13 then reboot. once back into the rom, you will see a Magisk app, tap it and allow to update, the APK will install latest version of the manager.

More NOTES.

this must be done on a clean system. you need to wipe all data partitions to boot to system. re writing VBMETA causes encryption to break. until you reboot. so you lose everything Make a backup of your data partition on to your PC before doing anything.

its also recommended to have an update.zip of your current rom (which you can download from the post above), incase you need to reinstall the rom after flashing the new recovery or VBmeta.

OEM unlocking in the developer options is NOT needed. since you are not unlocking your bootloader. this step can be ignored.

I'll update this tutorial with newer steps if needed.

Thanks to those that created all these great tools.

@wzsx150 - for their version of TWRP
    John Wu - for Magisk
    @mslezak vbmeta_skip

If i've helped you root your device, please hit thanks.

Link ADBmini - zip updated with Magisk 21.4 zip

MD5 for ADBfastbootmini.zip: 0ad97a9ae1539b26ef78c849b169e807

I'm working on a process that will update to Android 11, through TWRP and root, without losing data. Much like a stock update.

I will update the thread once my tests are complete.
    Nubia Red Magic 5G and 5S Roms and Root support Thread
    Second post for TWRP and Magisk installation.
    Mirror for all roms and tools at end of post

Latest Official Rom updates

Android 11

US/Asia - V8.64 Nubia Link MD5: a7e61f5e2f7c377a6850cf6ac3a62aa7
    EU - V7.64 Nubia Link MD5: 55371ee8e5728aee2bc7df5b3a7d6585
    China - V9.40 Nubia Link MD5: D28F26289A9B75F771EF4F623F0BB367

Android 10

US/Asia - V8.12 Nubia Link MD5: 6e930fc2431b3daeae2d94145926a6c1
    EU - V7.15 Nubia Link MD5: bb9e3153716851e87f196ae6b4f44a2e
    China - V6.23 Nubia Link MD5: BD447840ACA4D48F9443B94D2EAD890F

Change Log - 8.64 / 7.64 Android 11

- Security Patch August 2021
    - RedMagic OS 4.0
    - New Charge animation
    - Fingerprint sensor enhancements
    - Smoother UI
    - Charge separation option in Game space
    - slide out "entertainment box"
    - Notification Fan Toggle
    - 3rd party launcher full screen Gestures support added

Bugs -
    in Testing

- Always on display notification not showing

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    UNBRICK TOOL for 5S - Courtesy of @johnny886
    Use this tool, with directions on the thread to restore your device to USA/Asia 8.07
    you can then install TWRP and after flash any region rom after creating a somewhat universal unbrick tool for those in different regions.

Follow directions on the thread. but here is a link to the Thread. A Mirror for the tool is in my Personal Mirror at the bottom of this thread post.

Link to Thread
    Confirmed working with 5G devices - but its recommended to update as soon as you unbrick.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    For unlocked bootloader
    Fix your fingerprint sensor.
    here Link

--------------------------------
    Update Instructions.

Note
    for Android 11 do not flash through TWRP you will softbrick.

For Stock devices without root
    - disable security. No pin, no face unlock, no finger print, no pattern. remove all security.
    -download zip file
    -go to system update tap three dots and select local update
    -Navigate to update.zip and select.
    -your phone will reboot and install new rom
    - you phone will reboot once more and you will be greeted with your lock screen
    - setup Phone with security options as before flash.

For devices with "LOCKED bootloader" Root / TWRP (not tested on A11)
    - take backup of vbmeta and recovery partitions in TWRP
    - change the name of both files to vbmeta.img and recovery.img
    (VBmeta is often 64kb big and Recovery is often 90+mb big.)
    - copy and paste these new img files into the update zip.
    - flash through TWRP
    - go back to main menu, select advanced, then select option
    "disable replace TWRP" to keep TWRP as your recovery.

for devices with "Unlocked bootloader" (not tested on A11)
    -make full backup
    -download zip
    -install zip through TWRP
    -reboot
    __________________________________________________________________________________

Custom Roms and Kernels

Kernel
    Mattofthedead's Redmagic 5S kernel for LOS and Stock roms LINK

Group chat for my Stock modified Kernel for 5S LINK

Roms
    Rom Builder Ra's Custom Roms - Please post any bugs or issues in the related threads.

Pixel Experience Plus

Ressurection Remix

NOTE : to boot any Custom rom on the 5S device. Flash the Rom following the directions. then flash Matts LOS kernel Version 3
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    ------------------------------
    Old roms

Android 11

V8.57 Nubia Link MD5: 266819d4b09c2c52aadb39e948dc84bc
    V8.59 Nubia Link MD5: d7e32b7a3e833adc57fcf734aa47f5a3
    V7.57 Nubia Link MD5: 81ee71869f660a28b631d871ffb59524
    V7.60 Nubia Link MD5:
    V9.26 Nubia Link MD5: 8997375CD97D8F7F261F21121FC8EFAA

Android 10

v6.18 Link MD5: 9AC5EA5F64835C1995E4A81D4973FB71
    V6.13 Link MD5: F38ED2D7CB58252D308B29D1D4517DB9
    V7.07 Link MD5: ffc3fdaf4afc522aa3a084d9275f2cb6
    V7.14 Link MD5: 0f879160fbf8b556de5303207b93d0d1 ALT mirror
    V8.07 Link MD5: b30dab221be73292c5da7884afc0363f
    V8.11 Link MD5: 85d9366a3017112cb68d66041e725ce6

Screenshot_AnTuTu Benchmark_2021-01-30-13-48-17-200.png
    Screenshot_3DMark_2021-01-30-12-05-56-432.png
    Screenshot_AnTuTu Benchmark_2021-01-30-13-48-17-200.pngScreenshot_3DMark_2021-01-30-12-05-56-432.png

I did a little bit of editing on the Stock kernel.

Everything exactly the same as stock, except the clocks of the GPU and the memory timings of the ram.

Tried to keep the speed / heat under control.

I tested in the quebec winter -8'c and also in room temp 23'c

These are my best scores, but i've seen the temps do well, Genshin impact tops out at 76 under heavy load.

For stock kernel, with just a little basic tweaking, those scores are very impressive.
    I'm not sure if your issue persist but google servers in Europe are having issues (https://support.google.com/accounts...dd-my-google-account-to-android-devices?hl=en). The way you can work around is connecting to Americas servers via vpn
    I just updated to NA 857 last night and I regret it.

All my apps on my desktop have been removed. They are still installed but I can no longer drag and set them on my desktop. Holding the power button to bring up the "Power off/Reset/Emergency" option now completely takes over the screen instead of appearing in a small box on the right side like it used to.
    It also installed some kind of web browser called NextWord Browser which randomly displays news pieces and ads, which I never asked for. Not only that, but I can't seem to permanently uninstall this app through regular means.

I don't know if anything else is up with this new update, but I already don't like what this has done to my phone. I want to go back to the previous version and soon.