5S/5G Roms and Root Mega thread [Updated August 12 2023] *Official Lineage 20*

Should I Release a Modified Over clocked Kernel for the 5S device and Roms ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not really interested. Phone is fast enough.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

FerdCV

May 3, 2021
Hi again, successfully unbricked and was reverted back to 3.12 (rooted), now i need help to unroot it to get have OTA and banking app.

Last edited by a moderator:

FerdCV

May 3, 2021
I did a bit of research and found out the solution to my/our problems, here's the link just follow the steps and you will be good. Just got back to 8.12 with working bank apps and OTA with no error.

Patrick Morgan

Mar 20, 2008
Montreal QC
Hi again, successfully unbricked and was reverted back to 3.12 (rooted), now i need help to unroot it to get have OTA and banking app.
Using the unbrick tool would have removed root.

If you tried to update with an unlocked bootloader it may have stopped. Or maybe you rooted after unbricking im not sure.

But usually when you use the unbrick tool your phone is set back to factory. - unless your bootloader is unlocked, then this is still flagged by the system until you relock the bootloader.

Either way, glad your sorted.

FerdCV

May 3, 2021
Using the unbrick tool would have removed root.

If you tried to update with an unlocked bootloader it may have stopped. Or maybe you rooted after unbricking im not sure.

But usually when you use the unbrick tool your phone is set back to factory. - unless your bootloader is unlocked, then this is still flagged by the system until you relock the bootloader.

Either way, glad your sorted.
I wish i have the answers but i just did what the instructions here, anyway i am good now thanks, gonna stick to 8.12v.

ares_shad0w

Feb 19, 2021
Nubia Red Magic 5G
TWRP and root guide for 5S and 5G on Android 10 only - (these steps will NOT unlock your bootloader) - these steps use a bypass method to install a recovery without unlocking bootloader. the command below is to allow flashing of partitions. bootloader status is still locked during and after process is complete.

Note. if you already have ADB and fastboot drivers installed, this folder will work as is. if not I put an installer in the folder too to install a mini adb fastboot setup. which needs windows driver signing turned off (windows 8-10) this can be done by going to advanced startup and choosing to boot without driver signing.

1. Download zip file found at the end of this post

2. Extract to root of C: drive

3. open CMD prompt with admin privileges

4. CD to the ADB folder you extracted. (CD = Change Directory)

5. Connect your device in Fastboot mode (power off. hold volume down +Power until it vibrates. then release power but continue to hold volume down)

6. Once in fastboot mode, with cable connected to the computer run these commands

7. fastboot oem nubia_unlock NUBIA_NX659J (this allows you to flash the device partitions)

8. fastboot flash recovery TWRP-xxx.img (xxx being the version number of the TWRP image you choose to install)

9. fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img

10. reboot to recovery (from the fastboot menu) it should load TWRP

11. if TWRP does not ask you to keep recovery from being over written, go to advanced and choose disable replace TWRP. to keep TWRP as your recovery, and stop the system from re writing the stock recovery.

12. Reboot to system for the first time and complete the initial setup. this is to create the user space partitions data/media ( preferably do not make a pin or pattern at this stage)

13. once in the rom, connect to PC and copy over the Magisk zip to the internal memory. then reboot holding Volume up

14. once back into TWRP (if you created a pin during setup TWRP will ask you for your pin to access data) go into install and flash the Magisk.zip you moved in step 13 then reboot. once back into the rom, you will see a Magisk app, tap it and allow to update, the APK will install latest version of the manager.

More NOTES.

this must be done on a clean system. you need to wipe all data partitions to boot to system. re writing VBMETA causes encryption to break. until you reboot. so you lose everything Make a backup of your data partition on to your PC before doing anything.

its also recommended to have an update.zip of your current rom (which you can download from the post above), incase you need to reinstall the rom after flashing the new recovery or VBmeta.

OEM unlocking in the developer options is NOT needed. since you are not unlocking your bootloader. this step can be ignored.

I'll update this tutorial with newer steps if needed.

Thanks to those that created all these great tools.

@wzsx150 - for their version of TWRP
John Wu - for Magisk
@mslezak vbmeta_skip

If i've helped you root your device, please hit thanks.

Link ADBmini - zip updated with Magisk 21.4 zip

MD5 for ADBfastbootmini.zip: 0ad97a9ae1539b26ef78c849b169e807

I'm working on a process that will update to Android 11, through TWRP and root, without losing data. Much like a stock update.

I will update the thread once my tests are complete.
From step 11, I keep getting into twrp!!
Red Magic 5S

Patrick Morgan

Mar 20, 2008
Montreal QC
From step 11, I keep getting into twrp!!
Red Magic 5S
Probably data was not wiped correctly. You will continue to boot to recovery if data is encrypted.

Go to wipe and choose advanced wipe. Format data to ext4, then whwn the fotmat is complete, RE-Format the data partiton to F2FS.

Then try to boot. (remeber to save twrp in the advanced menu before you boot to system)

Reactions: ares_shad0w

madnezzz

Jun 4, 2012
Melbourne
My phone is not rooted. It was resetting each time i restarted the phone it would reset the launcher and icons and show a message at launch saying the phone had been updated. I did a full reset and it seems to have fixed the problem.

mhd4mhd

Jan 27, 2013
I received the update to android 11 today , and I wish i didn't updated it
1. I am not able to change the launcher to Microsoft launcher since its was my main launcher
2. when I holding power button to power off or restart , the icon for power off and restart is not showing
power off.jpg

3.when i try to added my apps to nubia launcher they disappear from home
any fix for this ?

Last edited:

FerdCV

May 3, 2021
1. I am not able to change the launcher to Microsoft launcher since its was my main launcher
2. when I holding power button to power off or restart , the icon for power off and restart is not showing View attachment 5306491
any fix for this ?
Same scenario here brother, what I did was to unbrick my nubia 5G and update until 8.12. Try to backread it will help you understand new things.

Hi .
I have try install twrp in my phone but it's corrupt and fixed new I got 3 issues it's stock on game play and I lose my finger print and gerscop not working.
Please advise for more advance.
By the Iam ready to install new program to keep the performance as before.

Patrick Morgan

Mar 20, 2008
Montreal QC
2. when I holding power button to power off or restart , the icon for power off and restart is not showing
any fix for this ?

fixes to 2 and 3 are posted on my first post. under the bugs section of the change log.

1. is still a current bug. there is a work around fix. but its not simple and it breaks other options.

Reactions: DD890

kreezer010

Apr 18, 2013
Hi there. I do regret updating my firmware of my RM5s due to tons of bugs. Whenever i connect my phone through android car play there was no sound and it was very laggy unlike before the update.

Is there a way to downgrade my firmware im running on eu 7.57 on my redmagic 5s.

Thanks for your reply.cheers mate.

Friedrich_Schultz

Jan 28, 2020
TWRP and root guide for 5S and 5G on Android 10 only - (these steps will NOT unlock your bootloader) - these steps use a bypass method to install a recovery without unlocking bootloader. the command below is to allow flashing of partitions. bootloader status is still locked during and after process is complete.

Note. if you already have ADB and fastboot drivers installed, this folder will work as is. if not I put an installer in the folder too to install a mini adb fastboot setup. which needs windows driver signing turned off (windows 8-10) this can be done by going to advanced startup and choosing to boot without driver signing.

1. Download zip file found at the end of this post

2. Extract to root of C: drive

4. CD to the ADB folder you extracted. (CD = Change Directory)

5. Connect your device in Fastboot mode (power off. hold volume down +Power until it vibrates. then release power but continue to hold volume down)

6. Once in fastboot mode, with cable connected to the computer run these commands

7. fastboot oem nubia_unlock NUBIA_NX659J (this allows you to flash the device partitions)

8. fastboot flash recovery TWRP-xxx.img (xxx being the version number of the TWRP image you choose to install)

11. if TWRP does not ask you to keep recovery from being over written, go to advanced and choose disable replace TWRP. to keep TWRP as your recovery, and stop the system from re writing the stock recovery.

12. Reboot to system for the first time and complete the initial setup. this is to create the user space partitions data/media ( preferably do not make a pin or pattern at this stage)

13. once in the rom, connect to PC and copy over the Magisk zip to the internal memory. then reboot holding Volume up

14. once back into TWRP (if you created a pin during setup TWRP will ask you for your pin to access data) go into install and flash the Magisk.zip you moved in step 13 then reboot. once back into the rom, you will see a Magisk app, tap it and allow to update, the APK will install latest version of the manager.

More NOTES.

this must be done on a clean system. you need to wipe all data partitions to boot to system. re writing VBMETA causes encryption to break. until you reboot. so you lose everything Make a backup of your data partition on to your PC before doing anything.

its also recommended to have an update.zip of your current rom (which you can download from the post above), incase you need to reinstall the rom after flashing the new recovery or VBmeta.

OEM unlocking in the developer options is NOT needed. since you are not unlocking your bootloader. this step can be ignored.

I'll update this tutorial with newer steps if needed.

@wzsx150 - for their version of TWRP
John Wu - for Magisk
@mslezak vbmeta_skip

Link ADBmini - zip updated with Magisk 21.4 zip

MD5 for ADBfastbootmini.zip: 0ad97a9ae1539b26ef78c849b169e807

I'm working on a process that will update to Android 11, through TWRP and root, without losing data. Much like a stock update.

I will update the thread once my tests are complete.

Hello, I updated my phone with a beta version of the firmware, then restored it using Red_Magic_5G_Unbrick_Tool_ (EU), and now I can not get updates via WIFI! Writes your device is root!
Help me fix it please!

Patrick Morgan

Mar 20, 2008
Montreal QC
Hi there. I do regret updating my firmware of my RM5s due to tons of bugs. Whenever i connect my phone through android car play there was no sound and it was very laggy unlike before the update.

Is there a way to downgrade my firmware im running on eu 7.57 on my redmagic 5s.

Thanks for your reply.cheers mate.
you could try using different Bluetooth driver settings in the developer options ( i found using Aptx on Aptx compatible head units to be very good and clear) but if you reall have no other option after trying different bluetooth settings, backing up your photos and other important data, and unbricking back to Android 10 is all you can do.
Hello, I updated my phone with a beta version of the firmware, then restored it using Red_Magic_5G_Unbrick_Tool_ (EU), and now I can not get updates via WIFI! Writes your device is root!
Help me fix it please!
if you have installed TWRP or root before, and even unrooted, the phone state is still flagged as root until you clear all the modified flags.

to avoid getting the error you can download the full update zip on the first post or directly from Nubia and install that through local update instead of using the OTA option.

Friedrich_Schultz

Jan 28, 2020
Здравствуйте, обновил свой телефон бета-версией прошивки, потом восстановил с помощью Red_Magic_5G_Unbrick_Tool_ (EU), и теперь не могу получать обновления по WIFI! Пишет ваше устройство root!
Помогите исправить пожалуйста!
Большое спасибо! Все получилось после обновления!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP - ROOT for Android 10 and 11

Read notes to be fully clear on steps.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
    NOTES.
    - Android 11 steps are below the Android 10 steps.
    - Steps are for Windows operating systems only.
    - Run steps in a new folder made on the C.drive. You may get errors running from downloads or desktop.
    - if on stock, you will need to wipe your data. BACKUP all your data.
    - Files required are on my Mirror linked on the First post.
    - All these steps must be performed on a clean system. you need to wipe data and cache to complete setup
    - OEM Unlocking in the Developer options is only required for Android 11 this is temporary
    - Android 10 steps where performed on a clean unbricked Locked device.
    - Android 11 steps where performed on a clean unbricked Locked device and locally updated to 8.70 data formatted after update.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Android 10 Steps.

1. Backup all your data.

2. Find the ADB-Fastboot installer bat file in my mirror and run it (as Administrator) in a new folder on the C drive

4. CD to the ADB folder you made. (CD = Change Directory)

5. Connect your device in Fastboot mode
    - power off. hold volume down button while the phone boots

13. once in the rom, you can download the Magisk zip found here rename the apk to zip to flash in recovery

_______________________________________________________________________________

******************************************************************************
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Android 11 Steps.

Android 11 removed the ability to install vbmeta skip on the locked bootloader. so these steps will require opening the bootloader during the process of rooting and installing a custom recovery.

* Following these step exactly as written will not wipe your fingerprint sensor data.

These step will assume you have installed the fastboot and ADB files for rooting Android 10 already.

1. Download the correct files you will need for the process (found in my mirror in first post)
    - vbmeta skip / twrp for A11 / magisk apk from latest releases on github
    2. BACKUP ALLLL your data. you will wipe your data during these steps

3. Move the files required to the ADB folder you created on your Cdrive.

4. go to Settings / About Phone / tap 7 times on the Build number field to become a developer.

5. back to settings and choose advanced settings / developer options

6. enable the option OEM unlock (accept the agreement)

7. you can reboot your phone to fastboot. power off. then while powering on hold volume down button

8. when fastboot loads run these commands in CMD (with admin privilages)
    - fastboot flashing unlock (accept the process on your phone to wipe all data)

9. the phone will reboot hold volume down button to load fastboot again

10. CD to your folder in the Cdrive and Run these commands once fastboot is loaded again
    - fastboot flash recovery (TWRP for A11) choose the correct TWRP image in my mirror
    - fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
    - fastboot flashing lock

11. phone will reboot hold volume up to allow recovery to load
    - TWRP will do some first time setup and reboot (hold volume up button again while it reboots)

12. in TWRP wipe user data

13. go to mount and mount userdata

14. move / copy magisk.zip to the phone (rename the apk you download from github to zip to flash in TWRP)

15. unmount userdata once you've copied the magisk file.

16. go to flash and flash the magisk.zip you copied earlier

17. reboot to system

18. SKIP everything on initial setup.

19. you can connect to wifi / mobile data to download the magisk APK (the app does not get installed on first setup)

20. entering magisk will demand to update install through the magisk app, reboot and continue to setup magisk. (Hide app, Deny list etc)

21. once you've added all stock apps to deny list you can start setting up your device as before, restore your data.
    - just note you should add any new app to the deny list that you don't want ot see root. regardless of what it is. any app can report to google that your device is rooted, that will mess up your detection.

Some troubleshooting I've experienced.
    - Magisk app will not be installed at first boot. download apk form githib and install
    - Magisk will ask to update by rebooting, this wont work, and requires you to update in the app
    - magisk app sometimes fails to open (black screen with magisk symbol) go into app data and force close and clear cache of magisk to open the app again.

Big thanks to Dr.Brown for helping with these steps and testing over months to make sure they're perfect.

Dr. Brown and Doc714 - for TWRP

John Wu - for Magisk

mslezak for the original vbmeta_skip

Nubia Red Magic 5G and 5S Roms and Root support Thread
    Second post for TWRP and Magisk installation.
    Mirror for all roms and tools at end of post

Latest Official Rom updates

Android 11

US/Asia - V8.70 Nubia Link MD5: 463361d743ee1e6dc4cd17286714bb4a
    EU - V7.70 Nubia Link MD5: 3ae36259d3e22935445345535e4d9923
    China - V9.50 Nubia Link MD5: 361AC13CA52AB83C239783FBAB088CEA

Android 10

US/Asia - V8.12 Nubia Link MD5: 6e930fc2431b3daeae2d94145926a6c1
    EU - V7.15 Nubia Link MD5: bb9e3153716851e87f196ae6b4f44a2e
    China - V6.23 Nubia Link MD5: BD447840ACA4D48F9443B94D2EAD890F

Change Log - 8.70 / 7.70 Android 11

- Security Patch October 2022
    - Game Space enhancements
    - Game space Gyro sensitivity menu
    - game space touch sample rate improvement
    - Fixed: corner of screen non-touchable in some cases
    - Fixed: issue where game would fail to close
    - Fixed: location of caller display
    -Fixed: screen tearing when using 144hz
    -

Bugs -
    in Testing

- Always on display notification not showing
    - memory leak in nubia launcher (requires forced close often to stop phone from lagging)
    - small window mode for telegram and discord have wrong zoom/ aspect levels.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    UNBRICK TOOL for 5S - Courtesy of @johnny886
    Use this tool, with directions on the thread to restore your device to USA/Asia 8.07
    you can then install TWRP and after flash any region rom after creating a somewhat universal unbrick tool for those in different regions.

Follow directions on the thread. but here is a link to the Thread. A Mirror for the tool is in my Personal Mirror at the bottom of this thread post.

Link to Thread
    Confirmed working with 5G devices - but its recommended to update as soon as you unbrick.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    For unlocked bootloader
    Fix your fingerprint sensor.
    here Link

Custom Roms and Kernels

Kernel
    Mattofthedead's Redmagic 5S kernel for LOS and Stock roms LINK

Roms
    Please post any bugs or issues in the related Rom threads I won't help with bugs on these Roms.

Pixel Experience Plus - Ra (Ralovesoc)

Ressurection Remix- Ra (Ralovesoc)

Lineage 20 (Android 13)- Davide (DD3Boh) (Confirmed new update working on 5S check post #3 of Davide's thread)

NOTES :
    to boot any of Ra's Custom roms on the 5S device. Flash the Rom following the directions in their thread. then flash Matts LOS kernel Version 3

*** NEW *** Lineage 20 is newly updated And now OFFICIALLY Supported on the Lineage website. Any old kernels will not work on this rom. new Kernels are being developed for it and coming soon.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    ------------------------------
    Old roms

Android 11

V8.65 Nubia Link MD5: 3d52e18c66366d3d23744184425d3926
    V8.64 Nubia Link MD5: a7e61f5e2f7c377a6850cf6ac3a62aa7
    V7.65 Nubia Link MD5: 746dad5b6145dfba1108355095a6ad46
    V7.64 Nubia Link MD5: 55371ee8e5728aee2bc7df5b3a7d6585
    V9.42 Nubia Link MD5: D492B92DD83B366508CDD74DE7D152A3
    V9.40 Nubia Link MD5: D28F26289A9B75F771EF4F623F0BB367
    V8.57 Nubia Link MD5: 266819d4b09c2c52aadb39e948dc84bc
    V8.59 Nubia Link MD5: d7e32b7a3e833adc57fcf734aa47f5a3
    V7.57 Nubia Link MD5: 81ee71869f660a28b631d871ffb59524
    V7.60 Nubia Link MD5:
    V9.26 Nubia Link MD5: 8997375CD97D8F7F261F21121FC8EFAA

Android 10

v6.18 Link MD5: 9AC5EA5F64835C1995E4A81D4973FB71
    V6.13 Link MD5: F38ED2D7CB58252D308B29D1D4517DB9
    V7.07 Link MD5: ffc3fdaf4afc522aa3a084d9275f2cb6
    V7.14 Link MD5: 0f879160fbf8b556de5303207b93d0d1
    V8.07 Link MD5: b30dab221be73292c5da7884afc0363f
    V8.11 Link MD5: 85d9366a3017112cb68d66041e725ce6

Screenshot_AnTuTu Benchmark_2021-01-30-13-48-17-200.png
    Screenshot_3DMark_2021-01-30-12-05-56-432.png
    Screenshot_AnTuTu Benchmark_2021-01-30-13-48-17-200.pngScreenshot_3DMark_2021-01-30-12-05-56-432.png

I did a little bit of editing on the Stock kernel.

Everything exactly the same as stock, except the clocks of the GPU and the memory timings of the ram.

Tried to keep the speed / heat under control.

I tested in the quebec winter -8'c and also in room temp 23'c

These are my best scores, but i've seen the temps do well, Genshin impact tops out at 76 under heavy load.

For stock kernel, with just a little basic tweaking, those scores are very impressive.
    Hello! I just ugraded to V7.64 and I cannot login to my Google Account: after I accept the conditions, it says "Your account is not been added. Retry". Any solution, please?
    EDIT: problem solved, thanks.
    I'm not sure if your issue persist but google servers in Europe are having issues (https://support.google.com/accounts...dd-my-google-account-to-android-devices?hl=en). The way you can work around is connecting to Americas servers via vpn
    I just updated to NA 857 last night and I regret it.

All my apps on my desktop have been removed. They are still installed but I can no longer drag and set them on my desktop. Holding the power button to bring up the "Power off/Reset/Emergency" option now completely takes over the screen instead of appearing in a small box on the right side like it used to.
    It also installed some kind of web browser called NextWord Browser which randomly displays news pieces and ads, which I never asked for. Not only that, but I can't seem to permanently uninstall this app through regular means.

I don't know if anything else is up with this new update, but I already don't like what this has done to my phone. I want to go back to the previous version and soon.