5x hardware bootloop cause / fix ?

Search This thread

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
You need to charge it for sometime. The battery is totally depleted.
Thanks for the reply , left the phone plugged in the charger for a bit. Then put the phone in the freezer for 15min .. Got it to boot into bootloader but computer can't recognize it ( wanted to lock bootloader and un root) but it froze and I have not tried since.

Sent from my Nexus 5

deathstalker279

Apr 7, 2014
Guntur
androidhlp.blogspot.in
Thanks for the reply , left the phone plugged in the charger for a bit. Then put the phone in the freezer for 15min .. Got it to boot into bootloader but computer can't recognize it ( wanted to lock bootloader and un root) but it froze and I have not tried since.
1) Open device manager and check if you can find your device anywhere in unknown devices or android devices
2) If you can find it anywhere, select Properties > update driver > select android devices > done
3) If not, uninstall all android based drivers > reboot > reinstall only minimal fastboot drivers and then check if it gets detected.
4) If no, check if LG tool detects it.
5) Spoiled USB port or cable
6) Device effed
Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers worked for me.
Try it.

Reactions: ACHILLES R32

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
1) Open device manager and check if you can find your device anywhere in unknown devices or android devices
2) If you can find it anywhere, select Properties > update driver > select android devices > done
3) If not, uninstall all android based drivers > reboot > reinstall only minimal fastboot drivers and then check if it gets detected.
4) If no, check if LG tool detects it.
5) Spoiled USB port or cable
6) Device effed
Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers worked for me.
Try it.
Thanks, Was able to turn the phone and access the bootloader. Flashef stock, went to relock bootloader phone froze and have not been able to turn it on since. Seems to turn on once a today or so. Will try in the morning lol. Friday its going to LG wether I lock the bootloader or not. Not sure what I will do at this point , almost got a pixel but then started reading about speaker issues. And decided not to deal with more problems ?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Lfcamara

Apr 7, 2016
Caracas
LG didn't change the hardware earlier this year'? As I was reading that most people that is suffering this issue are people who bought the phone at launch (oct 2015 if I recall).

I bought this phone a week a go. As far the phone hasn't doing anything strange. The production Date of my N5X says 9/2016 so I should be safe for a while right?

Modder001

Sep 18, 2016
Hey guys
So this hardware issue can be fixed using unbrick method ? I saw some thead regarding that in QnA section only

Thanks

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
LG didn't change the hardware earlier this year'? As I was reading that most people that is suffering this issue are people who bought the phone at launch (oct 2015 if I recall).

I bought this phone a week a go. As far the phone hasn't doing anything strange. The production Date of my N5X says 9/2016 so I should be safe for a while right?
Wow, 9/2016 is the latest I've seen for production date. I don't know if you'll be safe because LG hasn't released any details about when they realized the problem.

The reason you see so many postings with the 9/2015 or 10/2015 units is that was the largest production run and the ones where people are on the edge of running out of warranty. Before that, people just return under warranty and aren't in panic state. Also it seems to be taking aroun 10-13mo of heat/cools cycles before the solder joints develop microfracture and there was some publicity recently drawing attention to the issue.

My personal WAG guess is this is affecting maybe 1-2% of units, but when this type of problem should be affecting .01%, that is 100x more cases than normal and gives the impression of widespread failure due to the people posting.

Last edited:

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Hey guys
So this hardware issue can be fixed using unbrick method ? I saw some thead regarding that in QnA section only

Thanks
If you have the hardware bootloop, it cannot be fixed using unbrick method.

If you have software bootloop it can.

Symptom of hardware bootloop is usually you are in the middle of doing some basic operation, the phone freezes, then starts bootlooping forever, especially if on a stock unmodifed phone.

Lfcamara

Apr 7, 2016
Caracas
Wow, 9/2016 is the latest I've seen for production date. I don't know if you'll be safe because LG hasn't released any details about when they realized the problem.

The reason you see so many postings with the 9/2015 or 10/2015 units is that was the largest production run and the ones where people are on the edge of running out of warranty. Before that, people just return under warranty and aren't in panic state. Also it seems to be taking aroun 10-13mo of heat/cools cycles before the solder joints develop microfracture and there was some publicity recently drawing attention to the issue.

My personal WAG guess is this is affecting maybe 1-2% of units, but when this type of problem should be affecting .01%, that is 100x more cases than normal and gives the impression of widespread failure due to the people posting.

Yes that's why ask if LG acknowledge the issue at that time.

By the way I know that my unit was produced 9/2016 by the first 3 digits of my S/N (609) so the first number is the year and 2nd a 3rd are the month. I am right?

I don't know if I should keep this device really as in my country all the phones are super expensive ( I bought this one because I'm in a trip and my Nexus 5 is almost dead) and we don't have LG customer service nor Google

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
Packed up my phone and sent to LG hope they repair it. Returned to stock but could not lock the bootloader. Phone froze after it was returned to stock. Have not been able to turn it on for 3 days. Will post updated once I hear back from LG

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited:

WhiteWidows

Jul 27, 2009
I could have probably locked my bootloader but forgot before sending it to LG.
I was able to get in to fastboot mode and flash the stock Nexus images after it locked up and rebooted but get stuck on the Google boot image.
I hope LG doesn't be little *****es and deny my claim based on the unlocked bootloader. I only unlocked it after having reboot issues previously and wanted to flash a clean image. It didn't help. Few days later it bricked.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Modder001

Sep 18, 2016
If you have the hardware bootloop, it cannot be fixed using unbrick method.

If you have software bootloop it can.

Symptom of hardware bootloop is usually you are in the middle of doing some basic operation, the phone freezes, then starts bootlooping forever, especially if on a stock unmodifed phone.
Oh no ... I'll better exchange my Nexus 5x for a new device
Can you tell me which one should I consider ?
Thanks
I have low budget now and hence I would like to buy a phone within 15k INR (~230 USD)

ZLevente

Oct 6, 2013
I could have probably locked my bootloader but forgot before sending it to LG.
I was able to get in to fastboot mode and flash the stock Nexus images after it locked up and rebooted but get stuck on the Google boot image.
I hope LG doesn't be little *****es and deny my claim based on the unlocked bootloader. I only unlocked it after having reboot issues previously and wanted to flash a clean image. It didn't help. Few days later it bricked.

So you was able to flash a stock system when you had a hw bootloop?
It's a good news, because we don't need to be worry about warranty if we got that problem :)

Psychofrantics

Jan 2, 2013
Lahore
OK guys. here is my rant.
I owned 16 gb nexus 5x h791. I bought it without warranty. Was using stock rom with elementalx nexus kernel (Hey, it is awesome. You must try it). Felt adventurous. Overclocked the cpu and change minimum gpu speed to 300 MHz. Bought my first app (nova launcher premium) from play store. Installed another app and bam.. N5X froze. Used volume up and power to restart it. To my dismay, I was stuck on google logo. F*** You LG.
Flashed factory images with no luck. Phone will not go past google logo. Flashed7.1.1 and 6.0.0. factory images. TWRP will not stick too. Tried two days with no luck. Screw you LG.
Went to market. Shopkeepers didnt have any idea. One said that I will reflow solder it. Agreed for 10 $. He reflowed but software was also corrupt. Didnt get past google. Thought I wasted my money. Went home despaired.
When I reached home, i saw that a blank screen is on. Some times recovery screen flicks. Fashed latest factory images and it booted. No I am scared to even restart it. Dont know how much time it will work. But one thing is sure. LG messed the solders. So anyone who is out of warranty should try it. It may work

Reactions: el_mariachi_4

ZLevente

Oct 6, 2013
Yep, but I didn't even try to lock the bootloader. Some are reporting they cant

Hm, maybe it's better to flash the stock rom, and disabling the 2 bigger core with this:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/help/bootloped-hw-please-try-t3505392
Then lock the bootloader (hope we can at this way and yes now we getting hardware and software bootloop mix :D )
and send back to LG.

I think they find out earlier the unlocked bootloader than the costum kernel.
But if the news are true, LG doesn't fix 5x anymore, they will refund you. So maybe they just try to turn on (yes now they see the UB, but can't see costum kernel) or enter stock recovery and if it's not succesfull, they refund you.

Last edited:

shonak24

Oct 17, 2016
Is there a way to prevent those hardware issues? Maybe use custom kernel UC or something like that... I'm using nexus 5x and my warranty is about to run out

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Flashed factory images with no luck. Phone will not go past google logo. Flashed7.1.1 and 6.0.0. factory images. TWRP will not stick too.
If you could even flash the factory images, then it is likely you didn't have hardware bootloop in the first place.

If you want TWRP to stick, you need to install root (which modifiies the boot image) or modified boot image.

Reactions: Psychofrantics

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
But if the news are true, LG doesn't fix 5x anymore, they will refund you. So maybe they just try to turn on (yes now they see the UB, but can't see costum kernel) or enter stock recovery and if it's not succesfull, they refund you.
People are reporting they can't get refunds anymore.

Their options are to wait weeks for parts, get a G4 in exchange, or if you complain enough, sometimes they offer G5 in exchange.

Reactions: bkores

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE:
    Confirmation reflow fixes 5x hardware bootloop
    http://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/help/5x-bootloop-cause-fix-t3476794/post70123267#post70123267

UPDATE:
    If you are having what appears to be hardware bootloop problem update this Poll
    https://goo.gl/forms/Ga8gZgG7GEgBIply1
    or see results
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...D4IdwEWZYb2NKA/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm
    ====
    I was looking into the eMMC chip on this phone on the assumption it was causing the bootloop. I wanted to look at other phones that have the same Toshiba HS400 chip we use. I found some references to LG G4 and then started seeing LG G4 phones were also having a bootloop problem with similar symptoms, phone just turns off all of a sudden then is stuck in bootloop.

This led to finding articles that LG acknowledged a hardware problem with solder connections on the LG G4 mainboard.

I am wondering if this is the same problem affecting Nexus 5x since the LG G4 is pretty much a cousin of the 5x.

I don't know for sure this is the problem we are seeing, just a potential culprit.

This article has more information

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/lg-g4-bootloop-problem-how-to-diagnose-and-fix

In the article there is mention of a special TOT file that can be flashed on the G4 that turns off the big cores and lets the phone boot in a slow mode running on just the small cores.

This video shows you can use a SMD rework station to heat up the CPU and eMMC memory chip, reestablishing the solder connections underneath the chips and getting your phone to work again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeuMBD9r4GI

This is the statement LG made about the LG G4
    http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g4-bootloop-petition-669421/

Here’s the full statement LG made to Android Authority:

LG Electronics has been made aware of a booting issue with the LG G4 smartphone that has now been identified as resulting from a loose contact between components. Customers who are experiencing booting issues with their LG G4s should contact their local carrier from where the G4 was purchased or a nearby LG Service Center (www.lg.com/common) for repair under full warranty.

Customers who purchased their G4 devices from non-carrier retailers should contact an LG Service Center with the understanding that warranty conditions will differ. LG Electronics is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service and apologizes for the inconvenience caused to some of our customers who initially received incorrect diagnoses.
    I just fixed my nexus 5x bootloop issue. It is a hardware issue so don't waste time in downgrading or changing the stock ROMs. I learned it the hard way and lost all the data in the process. Here are the simple steps to resolve the issue:
    1) Open the back cover using the plastic screw driver. I used old credit card. Start from the USB port and go upwards.
    2) Remove all the screws from the inner black cover.
    3) Carefully remove the battery connector, USB connector and 2 camera connectors.
    4) Remove the battery using a flat tool. It might be a glued but will come out.
    5) Lift the circuit board and remove the heat sheet using the plastic tool.
    6) Notice the 2 black squares chipsets. We need to apply heat to the bigger chipset.
    7) Take a hair dryer and use a aluminium foil to narrow down its opening. I made a cone with small opening and used tape to stick it to the hair dryer.
    8) Use heat on the chipset for a minute or 2 till it gets a little hot. Press it with your hand and thumb. Do not overheat the chipset.
    9) That is it. Put it back and test your phone. It worked for me.
    Why is lg giving refunds, cant they fix it like that?
    To fix these things for real, they probably need to figure out what went wrong with manufacturing and do a manufacturing design change. It is much cheaper to just give your money back. Even the parts they are using for repairs probably suffer from the same problem.

LG cannot reball using leaded solder balls (which would probably alleviate or eliminate the problem) due to environmental regulations. Reballing using leaded solder is more robust even with less attention to heating profiles (leaded solder melts all at the same temperature while lead-free solder is non-eutectic, meaning the different metals melt at different temperatures, so you have to be very careful in the heating of the board to follow a specific script) As a home user, if you want you can reball using leaded solder but it is an expensive and time consuming process.

LG can easily reflow your board though, but IMO that just pushes the problem further down the road because it doesn't fix the core issue of weakend joints, which might be solder ball quality problem, heating profile problem, design issue with not enough heat dissipation, or board warping due to repeated heat/cool cycles. It could be any one of those problems.

So reball using leaded solder is like using brand new more robust glue to fix the problem. Reflow is like crazy gluing the existing broken joints. I'm taking liberties in my descriptions.
    I am also guessing that if you open up the unit and fashion some sort of shunt from cardboard box then use non-conductive tape to tape ontop of cpu and memory chip so that when you put the phone back together, pressure is applied to the chips, you can probably get it working for a while, at least long enough to get data off of it.

Not a long term solution either, because the chips will probably overheat.

So the root causes for this problem MIGHT have been any of the following:
    - the original solder balls were slightly unequal sizes making the solder connections weak for some of the connections weaker
    - the substrate/motherboard may have been slightly warped causing uneven stress in some areas
    - there may have been some impurities in the manufacturing process
    - the heat profile may have been off for the type of solder used. Unlike lead solder, lead-free solder is non eutectic, which means the different metals in the solder melt at different temperatures (leaded solder melts completely at one temperature) If you don't heat to certain levels then increase the heat to other levels and the proper schedule, you won't get strong joints
    - insufficient heat management could lead to undue stress on joints, possibly due to board slightly warping and adding stress to already weakened joints
    - there are probably other explanations people in manufacturing can tell you

So your options to get things working are:
    1) send it in for RMA, either Google, Project Fi, or LG
    2) call your credit card and ask for warranty under their extended warranty program
    3) stick it in the freezer and hope enough moisture or contraction is present to connect the fissure/crack that formed in the solder or the board warps back to a form that releaves pressure on the connector so it can form connection again
    4) "reflow" the solder by heating up the chips using either precise temperature controlled hot air rework station or go ghetto and use something like a hair dryer or heat gun. reflow means you are trying to get the existing solder to heat up and melt to close the fissure/crack, but the underlying problem might still be there, like insufficient solder, warped board, solder impurities, poor heat management causing stress on joints, etc., so problem will probably return
    5) "reball" using leaded solder balls of high quality (uniform size). This would be much more costly but would probably permanently fix the problem
    reballing looks like this (video is for xbox360)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atSQBCpgA1E
    6) open up the unit and place some cardboard shunt to apply pressure to the CPU and eMMC chips to try and have the fissures closed when the unit is reassembled and downward pressure is applied on the chips.
    Hi. I tested my 5x https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check&hl=pl. It showed that emmc is Toshiba 032G74. Test passed without problems. I haven't updated to 7 yet, because I would like to avoid eventually problem with bootloop.
    The problem that was pointed out for the LG G4 cousin of this 5x phone is not that the eMMC chip is defective, rather the solder connection to either the eMMC or the CPU is faulty, so in that case it wouldn't matter which eMMC chip you had.

I am trying to get some discussion about what the cause of the problem is on the 5x using the G4 bootloop problem as a starting point.

As to the eMMC info, if you want the information about your emmc you can also do

Code:
    su
    cd /sys/bus/mmc/devices/mmc0:0001/
    cat name date fwrev hwrev manfid oemid

032G74
    07/1999
    0x0
    0x0
    0x000011
    0x0100

also you can reboot your phone and type

Code:
    bullhead:/ $ dmesg | grep mmc0
    [    1.914434] mmc0: no vqmmc regulator found
    [    1.914459] mmc0: no vmmc regulator found
    [    1.914736] mmc0: SDHCI controller on f9824900.sdhci [f9824900.sdhci] using 32-bit ADMA
    [    2.046259] mmc0: BKOPS_EN bit = 0
    [    2.063777] mmc0: new HS400 MMC card at address 0001
    [    2.064305] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 032G74 29.1 GiB