5x - Hugely Disappointed

Search This thread

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
n5 is smoother than the 5x stock. if the 5x doesn't perform up to par then it is a poor performer. the latest update made the lag better but it's still there. I don't remember which was my last phone that couldn't handle Spotify and Google map navs together.

this simple task I would expect the phone to be capable out of box.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Something must be wrong with your unit cause I stream iHeart Radio or Google Music while using Google Maps regularly without either one quiting or freezing on me.

Now I'm not saying I never experienced slowdown. It does still occur once in a while but it's occasional rather than often.

kanariya

Sep 17, 2007
New York
www.holicrap.com
Something must be wrong with your unit cause I stream iHeart Radio or Google Music while using Google Maps regularly without either one quiting or freezing on me.

Now I'm not saying I never experienced slowdown. It does still occur once in a while but it's occasional rather than often.

it doesn't freeze with those apps but it slows down to the point that the nav wouldn't follow the route and Spotify would skip every 30 seconds. it doesn't happen all the time but it happens enough to be annoying.

last time the phone froze was due to hdr+ processing. it froze for a few minutes and finally sorted it out.

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
I suppose there are always horses for courses. If you need to have a lot of programs loaded or some that make huge demands for RAM then you need a phone with more RAM than 2GB. Similarly with so many other parameters. I purchased a Nexus 5x a month ago. In between upgraded with latest stock, rooted and put custom recovery. For me everything runs well and there is no stuttering or lag anywhere including when starting from deep sleep. The only problem was ending the day with around 25% battery. I now use ElementalX Kernel with standard settings recommended. I am getting satisfactory results with ending the day with 40%+ battery remaining. I consider this satisfactory. There is still no lag or stuttering. This is my experience. If I had any continuing problems which leave me dissatisfied I would have returned the phone or had it replaced. Primarily because very few buyers have any major complaints about the phone. We get the performance we are willing to spend for. The real world is all about adjustment and though we don't like the word 'compromise'.

Saad Ali

Feb 7, 2015
OnePlus 8 Pro
n5 is smoother than the 5x stock. if the 5x doesn't perform up to par then it is a poor performer. the latest update made the lag better but it's still there. I don't remember which was my last phone that couldn't handle Spotify and Google map navs together.

this simple task I would expect the phone to be capable out of box.

Not true, I've had several nexus 5s. Maybe nexus 5 is a tad bit faster in app opening, the animations are way smoother on 5x as well as the overall experience. Nexus 5 has animations that are like 30fps. Smoothness? No comparison.

Reactions: nemanja066

Davirus849

I don't expected this phone to be "blazing fast", but thats is not expected in any phone unless you use it for gaming, I was expecting a good experience, something that doesn't feel wrong, or strange.

This is what I wasn't expecting: http://f.cl.ly/items/2S2j1B3l0h2l1B2N2k2z/Untitled.mp4

That never happened with the Nexus 4, and I can tell because I still own that, and my girlfriend Moto X Play sure doesn't have that kind of terrible performance.

I don't think that to avoid such problems I would need a "blazing fast" device.

kanariya

Sep 17, 2007
New York
www.holicrap.com
I kind of had that stutter before but it seems fixed with the updates, maybe.

so I was able to replicate my nav + Spotify slowdown. all I need to do was have both nav and Spotify running while charging in the car. the phone will heat up considerably due to charging and high CPU usage. then the SOC thermo throttle kicks in. Spotify starts to skip and nav starts to act weird. I then have the phone mounted with AC blowing at it which kind of fixed the issue. the phone had 300 hours up time when it happened. not sure if restarting would've helped.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
I kind of had that stutter before but it seems fixed with the updates, maybe.

so I was able to replicate my nav + Spotify slowdown. all I need to do was have both nav and Spotify running while charging in the car. the phone will heat up considerably due to charging and high CPU usage. then the SOC thermo throttle kicks in. Spotify starts to skip and nav starts to act weird. I then have the phone mounted with AC blowing at it which kind of fixed the issue. the phone had 300 hours up time when it happened. not sure if restarting would've helped.

Yeah doing all 3 (Navigation, streaming, and charging) get my phone considerably hot. I do the same thing by pointing 1 or 2 vents on it and it has helped a lot. My temperature widget can say as low as 85°F rather that 110°. Any time I've had very bad stuttering or slowdown where it doesn't fix itself in a few minutes, a restart does the job.

Anonamoose

Jun 28, 2010
North Dakota
I feel my nexus 5x is disappointing too

I've had a HTC Hero
Galaxy s2
Original Htc m7
HTC m8
and a Nexus 6

After playing the latest and greatest I wanted a cheap decent phone. However this phone for the price simply is not worth it. My wife I bought a asus zenfone 2 laser and for my mother I bought a blu vivo 5. Both of those phones multitask better... they both get more hours screen on time...... they both run cooler. Yes I know it shouldn't as the laser has a snapdragon 615 but it does run cooler and throttles less. Also, same amount of ram yet this phone chokes hard with apps.I mean the specs of the 5x look good on paper but in real world usage it's a gimped device. Not terrible mind you but there are a LOT of better phones then it in the 200-350$ range. My remorse is paying $350 ... if it was 32gb model for say 225$ I'd feel like I got what I paid for. That's just me . Build quality is a lot better then those phones as well as the camera on the 5x is superior . However there is a LOT those phones beat it on and they are $150 cheaper. I just don't feel like I got a good phone for the money. A bad phone? NO. Just very disappointing for $350.

Cave_diver

Feb 15, 2015
just don't feel like I got a good phone for the money. A bad phone? NO. Just very disappointing for $350.

I came from a Samsung S6 (no updates, bad standby, no updates), briefly tested a G4 with stock ROM and CM (didn't like stock, CM stability was atrocious) then went to the 5X.

Each phone had serious flaws, for the 5X the battery life is not that great. Other than that it's running super smooth for me with zero lag and OK multitasking. I get around 4 to 6 hours screen on time which I find acceptable.
Currently running Dirty Unicorns ROM with the Bluejay governor options, the combination rocks! It's a good phone and I really like it
But I do have to agree $250 for the 32G version would be fine. However what Google was asking, especially outside of the US, is/was too much.

Reactions: bblzd

mxrider97

Sep 20, 2015
Słupsk
I came from a Samsung S6 (no updates, bad standby, no updates), briefly tested a G4 with stock ROM and CM (didn't like stock, CM stability was atrocious) then went to the 5X.

Each phone had serious flaws, for the 5X the battery life is not that great. Other than that it's running super smooth for me with zero lag and OK multitasking. I get around 4 to 6 hours screen on time which I find acceptable.
Currently running Dirty Unicorns ROM with the Bluejay governor options, the combination rocks! It's a good phone and I really like it
But I do have to agree $250 for the 32G version would be fine. However what Google was asking, especially outside of the US, is/was too much.

Finally a reliable opinion.

Reading all of these whinings, I'm wondering if we had the same Nexus phone. I'm on rooted stock rom with ElementalX kernel and I have no complaints at all. It's snappy, I get around 5h SOT with 24hours standby. I have never experienced any app crash or any serious lag/delay. I don't know, maybe 90% people are such pedants or have like 200 apps installed. If I had to choosed, I would still prefer 5x over S7 or any other more powerful flagship, because of one simple reason. UPDATES, freedom of flashing various roms, kernels and other stuff. In my opinion, Nexus' phones are for everybody, because you need to play with it a little bit, to get really good phone. Personally, I absolutely love it, but everybody is different. But definitely nobody can say, it's a bad phone.

scoliosis

Jul 6, 2010

That happens to me all the time until I got the April update. Many said the March update fixed it for them but I still had that issue even after a wipe and reload. When I got the April update, I did a wipe and reload as well and it has been working just fine. No hanging other than when it has been on extended doze. What I do now is if I pick up the phone after an extended period of time is use the power button to screen on, then finger print scanner to unlock (yes you can finger print unlock directly as well but I wanted to burn time), wait another 10 seconds or so before starting apps. It gives the phone a chance to catch up with all the background apps trying to kick off what they need to do at the same time. I heard an unencrypted phone would do better, but I haven't bothered trying to decrypt it. I use Android Pay, so 3rd party ROMs won't work for me (unless someone tells me there is a reliable 3rd party ROM that does have Android Pay support).

Reactions: kkh786

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
Still loving my n5x. Running pure nexus + elementalx. No issues and a damn good budget device. I wont lie though the htc 10 is really tempting me but tbh im in no immediate rush to buy. Ive learned throughout my dozens of android phones. Both mid range and high end its not all about the specs or having the latest and greatest. Its about the dev community, oem updates, feel in hand and reliability. For me my nexus 5x serves me well.

C3C076

Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
I don't expected this phone to be "blazing fast", but thats is not expected in any phone unless you use it for gaming, I was expecting a good experience, something that doesn't feel wrong, or strange.
This is what I wasn't expecting: http://f.cl.ly/items/2S2j1B3l0h2l1B2N2k2z/Untitled.mp4
That never happened with the Nexus 4, and I can tell because I still own that, and my girlfriend Moto X Play sure doesn't have that kind of terrible performance.
Not only your N5X is buggy. Your desk is, too! :D
/* end of OT */

Reactions: _jis_

cowboy_bebop

Jul 3, 2010
Karlovac

ok, lol, that's terrible.. I use wakelock detector to get rid of "misbehaving" apps, and greenify to silence most persistent ones..generally I have no problems with performance or multitasking (sure, there is some lag, but nothing to be bothered with). But to get better expirience I would have to decrypt phone, or to flash more polished custom rom/kernel.

thenessus

Mar 7, 2011
I'd like to offer my take on the N5X.

I previously had the Nexus 4 (broke), Nexus 5 (smashed), then OnePlus One, and now that its screen also broke, I took the chance to get back on the Nexus brand.
Hopefully it would have a long run in this world.

I did not expect a great battery, nor did I expect to great performance. I did however expect a great camera, and I surely got it. The pictures are nothing but outstanding.
Unfortunately I will not be rooting and replacing stock rom, because my girlfriend absolutely hates it that I flash a new rom every 2 days, being unavailable on the phone while doing it, or forgetting to install the messaging app we use so I'm not answering her in time. I made the mistake of adding her fingers to the security setting, so if I ask her to do it again, she'll know for certain I changed rom. Nope, this time I am stuck on stock.

And I have to say that for the first time ever, I am happy on stock. I got the phone this week, so I don't know and did not experience any issues that I read about on previous builds. I am very satisfied with the current build. It's rock solid, it's smooth, it's absolutely fantastic when idle (no drain at all, even with high accuracy location (Wifi scanning on, bluetooth scanning off) and all google options being on, such as voice from any screen, cards, etc). The phone is not getting overheated, does not get stuck or lags noticeably. I am a minimalist though; I don't have a lot of apps clogging the device and I don't use it much other than Chrome. Chrome is naturally a battery killer but I manage to get 4 to 4.5 SOT, which is great. On the OnePlus One I would get 5 to 6 hours SOT and that makes sense since it has a 25% larger battery, but it would drain annoyingly on idle no matter what rom or settings I used; perhaps it was because it was getting old, but still, the N5X feels much more "together", well designed and fitting well in terms of hardware and software, like an iPhone (have to give Apple credit where its due, even on XDA).

Andr006

Oct 30, 2013
I'd like to offer my take on the N5X.

I previously had the Nexus 4 (broke), Nexus 5 (smashed), then OnePlus One, and now that its screen also broke, I took the chance to get back on the Nexus brand.
Hopefully it would have a long run in this world.

I did not expect a great battery, nor did I expect to great performance. I did however expect a great camera, and I surely got it. The pictures are nothing but outstanding.
Unfortunately I will not be rooting and replacing stock rom, because my girlfriend absolutely hates it that I flash a new rom every 2 days, being unavailable on the phone while doing it, or forgetting to install the messaging app we use so I'm not answering her in time. I made the mistake of adding her fingers to the security setting, so if I ask her to do it again, she'll know for certain I changed rom. Nope, this time I am stuck on stock.
LMAO! Edit your build prop to hide the ROM name! I'm on elemental X with stock ROM and the Advanced Interactive Battery settings (post on xda) and I get from 5.5 to 6.5 hours SOT

Last edited:

mawells787

Feb 27, 2011
New York
Honestly the phone does stutter at times, but it's not the software it's the 808. If you read the Anandtech review they go in to detail with the processor and explain how the older 800/801,805 are better than 808. The 808 can only run the 2 Big core for 2 minutes before they get throttled to 633 and after 12 minutes they shutdown.

Either way I'm happy because the phone has a great camera and the battery size is more than adequate with proper optimization. In addition, with Android N and improved doze mode our phone will probably have the equivalent of a 3000mah battery on a marshmallow phone. But unlike other phones that won't be updated to N for months or ever , the 5X will have instantly.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9742/the-google-nexus-5x-review

Reactions: user822

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Anandtech review they go in to detail with the processor and explain how the older 800/801,805 are better than 808. The 808 can only run the 2 Big core for 2 minutes before they get throttled to 633 and after 12 minutes they shutdown.

That's 100% full load though. No phone is ever under 100% full load for more than a few seconds other than during synthetic bench marking.

So with regular usage it will take much longer to throttle, if ever.

Most games don't even put the device under 100% full load. I played Hearthstone online for 60 minutes at the 2x A57 cores were still being used. Not only that but when I have seen them disabled after one hour of GPS navigation in the sun (battery temp hit 50 degrees C) the device is still fast.

At the absolute worst the CPU performance degrades to a cold Snapdragon 410 (full 1.44Ghz). Anyone who's used a Moto G will tell you that level of CPU performance is no slouch when pushing unskinned Android.

One last thing: throttling reduces heat. This is why the N5x has some of the lowest skin temperatures of any high end Android device.

With idle temperatures of just over 25 °C, the Nexus 5X hardly heats up noticeably in idle mode. The handset is also unexpectedly cool under load despite the relatively strong SoC. The hottest spot measured reaches just 37.4 °C here - other premium smartphones often surpass 40 °C. The review sample can even shine with the lowest rates compared with its rivals.

Personally I enjoy having my device not get uncomfortably hot in my hand, especially since gaming performance (the only thing that needs high performance in my phone) remains consistently high. Anandtech showed it has some of the fastest 3D game performance compared to other devices while they are all thermal throttled.

78266.png

Last edited:
Reactions: roofrider and jbdan

Nidstang

May 15, 2014

Holy sh*t.

I don't know what to tell you, other than I have had the 5X since launch and have never seen anything even remotely like that. I am completely stock. If my phone did anything even close to that it would be RMA'd instantly.

As time goes on, I lean more and more towards the believe that there were hardware issues with some percentage of the 5Xs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently went out of my way to purchase a 5x (MDA89E) by driving 40 odd miles to a carphonewarehouse store that I knew had it in stock (after having called them). Yes I'm crazy, but I just LOVED the nexus 5, even though I had my main gripes and complaints and issues with different production models etc, I did eventually manage to obtain a model that was perfect.

But anyhow, I have been thoroughly excited since the news of the 5x. But once having used the device for the most part of 2.5 days, I'm hugely disappointed.

The same magic android experience I felt immediately with the nexus 5 just is not there with the nexus 5x. It feels incredibly cheap and plastic, and the finish is not as precise or robust feeling as the Nexus 5. The black model doesn't have the same matt back as the nexus 5.

I am very pleased with the screen and the finger print sensor is rapid and the camera is better than the nexus 5, but apart from that, everything else is sub bar.

This is the first ever google android device that I have EVER owned whereby I have experienced a laggy experience and lag in general.

I never experienced any lag on the nexus 4, nexus 5 or the nexus 6. But the 5x, I am experiencing strange frequent lag, even whilst just generally surfing the net using chrome.

The webpages stutter, the scrolling from top to bottom on a webpage frequently lags and I am completely unsatisfied with the experience as a whole. Switching between certain apps like the camera app and the snapspeed app, I experience a strange delay for a few seconds.

I have compared this to the same apps on my nexus 5 and my nexus 6 and unfortunately I am yet to experience any lag at all. Not a single experience.

My second major complaint with the handset is the Audio.

Google and LG should be embarrassed with the Audio they have incorporated into the nexus 5x, and to be quite frank, it is unacceptable. The Audio is incredibly tinny and low powered, even worse than the nexus 5.

Plugging in headphones makes it even worse. My nexus 5 is louder with headphones plugged in.

Again, let me reiterate that this is completely unacceptable, considering handsets like the Motorola moto g (2015) and the moto x play have superb audio and are also priced cheaper. (I know the screens arent as good as the 5x and they don't have a finger print sensor, but my family members have both, and the android experience on these handsets have been sublime). Though incredibly underpowered compared to the 5x, they run smoother after a comparison last night!?!??!!!

I know this 5x is classified as a cheaper alternative to cater to the budget market, but £340 is not cheap, when the moto g is priced at £149.99 and the moto x play priced at £279.99 (argos).

I really feel google is not catering to the main element of owning a smartphone, and that is the media experience.

And I will also add that they aren't even catering to the main functionality of a phone itself, which is the actual call quality, which again, is abysmal and unacceptable for a device that is priced at £340.00. I can barely increase the volume enough to hear the other person in a call, and everybody I have spoken to during a call has asked me why i sound muffled??

I'm sorry to be sounding negative, but I was expecting a step up from the nexus 5, Not a step down with a better screen and an added fingerprint sensor.

This is unacceptable and I am contemplating returning the device. Hugely disappointing and totally unexpected from google.

When the nexus 5 was released, it had, at the time, the best specs at an extremely competitive price.

The 5x is mid range specs, a good screen and a finger print sensor/camera, but a regression in usability and functionality. I cannot use this phone for media. To watch or listen to music and videos etc during my daily commute or to have important telephone conversations in a public environment. If Im in a closed room with no other noise around, then yes, it is just about acceptable, but even low for smartphone standards.

I guess I wouldn't complain as much if everything was flowing utterly smooth like I expect from a google stock android device, but it isn’t. It doesn't. I have no idea why.
    We shouldn't necessarily silence people with issues, he literally might have a defective unit or it might be the misplaced expectations. There should be discussions around those issues.

This is par for the course. I remember during the N5 launch, people were getting super picky about perceived light bleed, vibration motor rattle, power button rattle, and even speaker hole differences! People were literally cycling through and returning multiple N5's which just made me cringe.

Fast forward a month or two after launch and the vocal minority of people with issues either left the N5 or got a satisfactory unit. Then the silent majority basically went along and enjoyed the phone. Of course, over time and with updates the N5 just got better and better to the point it's now basically heralded as the best phone of that era to the point N5 owners are afraid to get a N5X.

I think the same thing is gonna happen with the N5X. I haven't experienced the supposed lag or camera app lag. The perceived performance "issues" and ram deficiency seem like benchmark/stress test fallacies. Ultimately if you need 8 heavy apps on demand, with instant cycling, no re-draws, and need to know your phone is fast through benchmarks, you shouldn't be getting an N5 anyway, the 6P is the power phone.

If you're a normal user that most likely does email, text, takes pictures, browses the internet, messes around with lightweight social apps and a few games, the N5X has more than enough processing power to run through that with ease and no lag.
    It's kinda funny that people are saying it feels and looks cheap. People must forget what others said about the nexus 5 when it came out.. That it looked boring, cheap, that nothing about it stood out.. I mean after the beautiful nexus 4 people were expecting a 5 that was premium like the 4.. And look what happened... That became the most loved nexus of them all so far..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    I have never seen so much hatred for a device that is actually everything it claims to be and more. It's sad to see hostility in forums due to another individual's preference. It's almost as if you are trying to justify your purchases.
    Personally I think anyone who expects audio played out of a phone speaker to be good is an idiot. It should be loud enough to be heard, and good enough that your ears don't melt off.
    If you are an audiophile you will usually have good headphones, use custom equaliser, own everything in FLAC format, and hell you'd be using a separate audio playing device - so don't kid yourself, you're listening to Spotify/mp3s and just want to complain.

I have yet to actually see someone do any proper side-by-side tests with regards to sound between the N5 and N5x.

Also, lag/stutter wise, although there was the video of the N5 and N5x, I wouldn't exactly call that a technical test.
    I'd like to see some real examples and more specific description about what the "lag" is.. Boot up both phones into that safety/recovery mode and do some actual repeatable specific tests to narrow down and describe what they are experiencing.

I hate reading this rubbish about missing "magic".. Too vague and very user specific. Just like battery stats, that can change so much from a couple of settings and a couple of applications installed that can have one person having one experience and another person having a different one.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone