6.3" screen on the Note 3!? Some thoughts and perspectives:

Search This thread

Acery

Jan 28, 2013
I cannot see this phone getting bigger until it becomes fashionable for men in the united states to carry a man purse

OR

It has a flexible screen so we can wear it on our belt and have it conform to the curvature of our body so it doesnt look like we're packing heat.

Mohammed779

Dec 28, 2012
My note 2 barely fits in my pocket.. How about a 6.6 inch screen!!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 (GT-7100)

X

xdtnguyenx

Personally, I think they could pull it off. I used to think 5.5" was way too big for a phone, but here I am, the Galaxy Note 2 is normal size now and fits my khaki's perfectly without a hitch. They would definitely have to make it a tad wider but much taller, so it's still able to be operable using one hand. But a bigger battery and a 1080p in any form is a must!

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
The physical dimensions of the current Note 2 (not the screen) are 151mm tall by 80.5mm wide, which yields a hypotenuse of ~173.3mm.

A ~6.3" (160mm diag) 16:9 ratio screen would be about 139.5mm tall by ~78.4mm wide, which can just about squeeze into the current body's form factor......

Let me know your thoughts!

Forget hypotenuse ..a Note2 is about 160mm diagonal & the diagonal falls in a different line when you increase screen size meaning a 16:9 ratio 6.3" screen hangs over the corners when placed over a note 2 & that's just the screen.

; )

Last edited:

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
I wonder by how much can they improve the next Note if the screen size remains the same.

I doubt it will as most will expect an increase particularly as the S4 is catching up on screen size.
The Note3 (if called that) will likely have a screen size of 5.8" - 5.9"

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I wonder by how much can they improve the next Note if the screen size remains the same.

If you are talking about the screen quality, even the Note 2 still has a very long way to go in terms of quality or rather 'consistent quality'.

Im guessing they would probably keep the same screen size or maybe go with a 5.75 1080p display, quadcore, better S pen and probably a beefier battery.

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
Screen quality is likely to drop if the flexible screens materialize as I'm sure alot of us would see it as a fair payoff against the huge benefit of flex.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

hagba

Nov 9, 2008
Yerevan
If you are talking about the screen quality, even the Note 2 still has a very long way to go in terms of quality or rather 'consistent quality'.

Im guessing they would probably keep the same screen size or maybe go with a 5.75 1080p display, quadcore, better S pen and probably a beefier battery.

Not enough to lure me from my Note II as i did from my Note one,since this thing is doing whatever I need to do and does it very well Im not even rooted yet or on 4.1.2 for that matter,however if they decide to upgrade with a larger screen and are able to do that by keeping the overall device within resonable size bundled with the latest hardware available I will definitely consider getting it but not if the screen size remains the same,since Im a large screen sucker and can only speak on behalf of myyself though..!!!:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Personally, after having done a little number crunching, I don't think it's really all too far fetched to imagine the Note 3 having a 6.3" screen, assuming certain things happen. Here's my thinking:

The physical dimensions of the current Note 2 (not the screen) are 151mm tall by 80.5mm wide, which yields a hypotenuse of ~173.3mm.

A ~6.3" (160mm diag) 16:9 ratio screen would be about 139.5mm tall by ~78.4mm wide, which can just about squeeze into the current body's form factor, if you remove the physical buttons and go with a ~1mm bezel on the sides (compared to the current ~5.7mm bezel).

A ~1mm bezel is insane, and honestly I doubt it's a realistic expectation. However, if the Note 3 returns to the original Note's width of ~83mm, that would make room for a ~2.3mm bezel on a 6.3" screen. That's still insanely thin, but maybe just about doable.

Now, here's another thing to consider: Screen Resolution.

As it currently stands, it's much easier to make a higher resolution LCD display than an AMOLED display (which is why our 5.55" AMOLED displays are only 720p when there are 5" 1080p LCD's). It's currently difficult for AMOLED to match those levels of pixel density before running into quality issues like we've seen in previous AMOLED generations. That's to be expected; AMOLED technology is still relatively new compared to LCD, so we're still working on perfecting it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've yet seen an RGB (not PenTile) AMOLED display break the 300ppi barrier yet. So far, the Note 2's display has the highest RGB pixel density that we've ever seen yet (again, the key here is RGB, not PenTile).

If the Note 3 has a 6.3" screen, and if indeed it's going to be 1080p, then that would mean a pixel density of ~350ppi. I believe that jumping from the current ~265ppi (RGB) to ~350ppi (RBG) is incredibly significant, and possibly unrealistic actually... So this, to me, suggests one of two likely possibilities:
    A.) A 6.3" 1080p PenTile display.
    or
    B.) An RGB (using the current sub-pixel layout in the Note 2) display, but at lower than 1080p resolution; perhaps something like 1600x900 instead.

Option B would yield a ~291ppi density, and seems like a realistic and reasonable improvement from the current generation.

Either option is seems like a reasonable possibility, however, in my personal opinion, I would bet that the 1080p PenTile option seems more likely.

So, to sum everything up, here's what I would predict for the Note 3 for dimensions and screen:

Chassis:
    151 - 155 mm Height
    83 - 85 mm Width
    8 - 10 mm Depth
    Buttonless/Full touch screen design

Screen:
    6.3" (160mm) Diagonal, 16:9
    1080p PenTile SAMOLED (More likely)
    or
    1600x900 RGB SAMOLED (Less likely)
    maybe
    1080p RGB SAMOLED (Least likely, but who knows!)

I know a lot of this may have been boring, but I hope it was informative, and perhaps brings some more clarity to the rumors that have been floating around.

Let me know your thoughts!
    My thoughts are there is already a thread about this.

Sent from my GT-N7100
    I'd prefer if Samsung stuck with physical buttons as soft keys on screen take up a lot of real estate. It would be a waste to have a large screen that has a 1/2" row permanently used by buttons.

Not to mention that soft keys get in the way of gaming and are often inadvertently pressed.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

+1