6.3 update may be out

Search This thread

jdock

Dec 27, 2011
Someone on the Amazon forums has reported getting a software update to 6.3.

I have droidwall blocking a lot of stuff in hopes of avoiding the automatic update. We shall see...

Reactions: Jspex

TechJunkie198

Jan 2, 2012
6.3 was pushed out to my Kindle today as well.

there's now a parental controls on/off toggle option in the 'more' menu, not sure what it might control yet (would be nice if it protects from purchasing apps w/o a password). *update*: parental control restricts wifi use (going online requires the parental control set 4+ character password). however, there's no options to lock the wifi immediately after screen lock, or a certain timeout, etc. appears you need to manually disable the wifi after you use it to re-enable parental control.. also doesn't require password for downloading/purchasing from amazon app store (would've be nice).

Also seeing that the screen can now be dimmed lower (i noticed that first, since i keep the brightness at lowest setting, after the update it stayed at lowest setting, but was noticably dimmer. I also compared it visually w/another kindle i have that's still at 6.2.2 while both are at their lowest brightness setting)

I'm noticing pulse reader has been updated as well (from 2.4.3 to 2.7.6).

Last edited:

pwissing

Nov 30, 2011
6.3_user_4019920 got pushed to my device a short while ago and I lost access to root. There is a little information on the Kindle Fire site from Amazon that says 6.3 is coming and lists some of the new features. I was in the middle of something and all the sudden my fire restarted and I lost my root. :mad:

pwissing

Nov 30, 2011
Amazon says that is is coming soon and lists some details on a update. It is on the fire update page under 6.2. Sorry I can not post a link to it.

jdock

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the link - each new version's download has been about a meg bigger than the last one, but this one is an 11 meg jump - wonder what's grown so much!

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Please excuse my ignorance on the issue, I haven't used stock rom since I pulled my first Kindle Fire out of the box...But, is there a way to disable automatic updates? Isn't forcing updates on someone pushing the boundaries of what's actually legal?

Isn't that why Microsoft was having so many issues with forcing their "Legit Check" on people?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Jspex

Mar 2, 2012

I have droidwall blocking a lot of stuff in hopes of avoiding the automatic update. We shall see...

I just installed droidwall to avoid having my root removed. Thanks for the advise:)

Laquox

Apr 2, 2011
Just a quick thought did any of you that lost your root capability install Voodoo OTA? Because this app supposedly allows you to keep root even after over the air updates. It's also the primary app I use for watch amazon prime. No 6.3 yet for me, but waiting to see what happens. Also does anyone have a link on how to disable the OTA updates in case future updates break recovery options?

I just installed droidwall to avoid having my root removed. Thanks for the advise:)
Thank you. What application do you black list to stop the OTA?

Last edited:

pwissing

Nov 30, 2011
Just a quick thought did any of you that lost your root capability install Voodoo OTA? Because this app supposedly allows you to keep root even after over the air updates. It's also the primary app I use for watch amazon prime. No 6.3 yet for me, but waiting to see what happens. Also does anyone have a link on how to disable the OTA updates in case future updates break recovery options?

Thank you. What application do you black list to stop the OTA?

Yes, I had Voodoo OTA installed. I still have access to google services (gmail, calendar, google play, and more) after the 6.3 update but if I go into a program like Titanium Backup it say there is no root to the system. I can click on restore root in voodoo and there is a pop up that "root su restored" but nothing happens. So there is no root access anymore.

Laquox

Apr 2, 2011
Yes, I had Voodoo OTA installed. I can click on restore root in voodoo and there is a pop up that "root su restored" but nothing happens. So there is no root access anymore.

This displeases me. Well DroidWall it is then. Thanks for the update. I will let it come through once I know there is a custom recovery (root) solution. Until then I blocked most of Amazon's services.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will be updating with a new exploit within the week. I have had a second one in the waiting for a while, I just need to package it properly.
    For the time being, to keep root on "stock" without firefirefire/recovery

Code:
    echo "service.root.amazon.allow=1" > /data/local.prop

then update, you will still be allowed to use "adb root" after the update

Edit 6.3 rooted without need of a new exploit -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1568340
    6.3 was pushed out to my Kindle today as well.

there's now a parental controls on/off toggle option in the 'more' menu, not sure what it might control yet (would be nice if it protects from purchasing apps w/o a password). *update*: parental control restricts wifi use (going online requires the parental control set 4+ character password). however, there's no options to lock the wifi immediately after screen lock, or a certain timeout, etc. appears you need to manually disable the wifi after you use it to re-enable parental control.. also doesn't require password for downloading/purchasing from amazon app store (would've be nice).

Also seeing that the screen can now be dimmed lower (i noticed that first, since i keep the brightness at lowest setting, after the update it stayed at lowest setting, but was noticably dimmer. I also compared it visually w/another kindle i have that's still at 6.2.2 while both are at their lowest brightness setting)

I'm noticing pulse reader has been updated as well (from 2.4.3 to 2.7.6).

Direct link for anyone who's interested:

http://kindle-fire-updates.s3.amazonaws.com/update-kindle-6.3_D01E_4019920.bin

Still nothing on the Amazon site about it, though. I just figured out the link.