64GB Micro SD card WORKS!

Search This thread

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
just formatted it with EASYUS to FAT32 and it works. Copied my 32gb content over and did not even have to redo my home screens. I also partitioned it to use with link2sd but have not yet tried out linking any apps.

Reactions: trondam

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
I bought from play.com directly and it works. I saw them on amazon.co.uk cheaper but the one from amazon says 2-4 weeks delivery and the one from their market place third party i did not want to take the risk with. I can do the screenshot later but I promise you it works. I made it into two partitions now one FAT32 and another ext2 for link2sd and started moving some apps incl data and library files to get more internal space. so far a did only a couple of apps and after reboot it shows more free internal memory but I want to do more to see proper effect. will report on that later.

brochador

Jul 25, 2011
Ok, we'll wait for it, can you show us also the storage info screenshot of your link2sd, I just wanna see how you did that 2 partition, mine has ext2 only..

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
Link2sd screen
bcddb887-b392-9e1d.jpg

And settings storage one
bcddb887-b3dc-f93c.jpg

Sent from my R800i

tmovids

Nov 4, 2011
Forgive me for not really understanding this thread, but a few questions:

Why is it so amazing that a 64gb SD card works? Why wouldn't a 64gb SD card work? Is this likely to only work with certain brands or certain phones? If I get a sandisk 64gb SD card should I expect any problems?

zipeee2

Jul 5, 2009

Why is it so amazing that a 64gb SD card works? Why wouldn't a 64gb SD card work? Is this likely to only work with certain brands or certain phones? If I get a sandisk 64gb SD card should I expect any problems?

The Xperia Play is listed as only having an SDHC MicroSD port. SDHC officially, only supports up to 32GB per the specifications. The newer SDXC specification supports capacities up to 2TB.

That said, I think the OP poster should use one of the the free testing apps in the market like SD Card Tester, etc. to try filling up the card with real data. I've often seen cases of cards reporting more capacity than they can actually hold/access and errors may not occur until you try to actually fill up the space with real data despite the reported capacity from the OS appearing ok. This is especially common with Chinese e-bay sellers, etc. selling mislabeled memory cards that start giving errors when you start filling them up.

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
That said, I think the OP poster should use one of the the free testing apps in the market like SD Card Tester, etc. to try filling up the card with real data. I've often seen cases of cards reporting more capacity than they can actually hold/access and errors may not occur until you try to actually fill up the space with real data despite the reported capacity from the OS appearing ok. This is especially common with Chinese e-bay sellers, etc. selling mislabeled memory cards that start giving errors when you start filling them up.

I know what you mean that's way did not even wont to buy from marketplace amazon sellers just in case they had fakes for some reason. I have filled it with the content of almost full 32GB card and did not have any problems yet - most fake cards are much smaller capacity than 32gb so I don't think I will have a problem.

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London

The reason I was so amazed is that I asked people on the forum here and was told it would not work above 32GB but it does. Someone on the tablet did the same thing with 128GB SD card but not micro form factor. So now we know and I hope it helps someone who like me before was not sure if it would work.

zipeee2

Jul 5, 2009
I know what you mean that's way did not even wont to buy from marketplace amazon sellers just in case they had fakes for some reason. I have filled it with the content of almost full 32GB card and did not have any problems yet - most fake cards are much smaller capacity than 32gb so I don't think I will have a problem.

Try going over 32gb with data and see what happens when trying to read it back. The free SD card tester in the market can make it very easy..slide the slider to the right and see how it does.

https://market.android.com/details?id=air.com.anotherflexdev.sdcardtester.SDCardTester

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
I find it faster but it could be because I also started using app2sd and now have more internal memory. I used to get force close/wait messages before even in settings and play launcher menus and my low on space message would be triggered frequently - now it is no problem :)

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
Very close to filling it over 32gb. When final dexter is aired i will fill it over 32gb and test.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Nemokun

Apr 2, 2007
Try going over 32gb with data and see what happens when trying to read it back. The free SD card tester in the market can make it very easy..slide the slider to the right and see how it does.

https://market.android.com/details?id=air.com.anotherflexdev.sdcardtester.SDCardTester

Hi, I just bought a Sandisk 64GB card for my Xperia Play and I can confirm it's working fine. I used the above app to verify my card that already had about 14GB of data on it, which can also be seen in the screenshot below (the max amount of data i could test was ~46GB, which is about right... 60-14 = 46).
I set it to write another 25GB for a total of ~39GB and it had to problems.

64gbtest.png

This took about three hours to test, and if i shut off the screen it stopped testing... as you can see my battery almost died. I'm glad I didn't try filling it up fully :D

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi, I just bought a Sandisk 64GB card for my Xperia Play and I can confirm it's working fine. I used the above app to verify my card that already had about 14GB of data on it, which can also be seen in the screenshot below (the max amount of data i could test was ~46GB, which is about right... 60-14 = 46).
    I set it to write another 25GB for a total of ~39GB and it had to problems.

64gbtest.png

This took about three hours to test, and if i shut off the screen it stopped testing... as you can see my battery almost died. I'm glad I didn't try filling it up fully :D

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.
    just formatted it with EASYUS to FAT32 and it works. Copied my 32gb content over and did not even have to redo my home screens. I also partitioned it to use with link2sd but have not yet tried out linking any apps.
    I bought from play.com directly and it works. I saw them on amazon.co.uk cheaper but the one from amazon says 2-4 weeks delivery and the one from their market place third party i did not want to take the risk with. I can do the screenshot later but I promise you it works. I made it into two partitions now one FAT32 and another ext2 for link2sd and started moving some apps incl data and library files to get more internal space. so far a did only a couple of apps and after reboot it shows more free internal memory but I want to do more to see proper effect. will report on that later.
    Link2sd screen
    bcddb887-b392-9e1d.jpg

And settings storage one
    bcddb887-b3dc-f93c.jpg

Sent from my R800i
    Wow, I had a 64gb card laying around somewere, will try it later.