Question 6a from Google: Can't unlock bootloader

Search This thread

FWC9696

Jul 29, 2022
Your response was more useful than mine at least. I would have been happy with a "let's get you a replacement device out." I guess I'm just going to initiate a return today and maybe look for another device entirely. I'm not bothering with this we may fix it at a later date business.
If it weren't for the $300 trade in on a Pixel 3a, I'd have sent it back already. Just debating what to do. Maybe just keep the 3a for longer.

ritchea

Sep 6, 2011
okeechobee
Anyone with an unlocked device get prompted for an update today? The only one I see @ https://developers.google.com/android/images#bluejay is for T-Mobile. I am using a T-Mobile MVNO but this is an unlocked phone. Seems odd that that would be pushed to me.
FWIW, my phone came directly from Google, unlocked as they always have been. I use AT&T prepaid. The OTA pushed to my phone is the AT&T one: SD2A.220601.002. Also, I noticed the "Global" version (12.1.0 (SD2A.220601.003, Jun 2022) is no longer labeled as such. My last phone was Pixel 3a. Things were still fairly simple for it when it came. Oh, and the bootloaders were able to be unlocked from the get-go!

Reactions: ctfrommn

bricky23

Apr 6, 2010
Akron
Xiaomi Poco F3
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Mine was greyed out. I opted in to android 13 beta. Used that for about a week. Then I opted out and checked for an update. Went back to android 12. In the process it wiped the phone. After setting up the phone, I looked, and it was not greyed out anymore. Had an esim and wifi on. It was an unlocked phone from Amazon.

epapsiou

Jun 27, 2012
***FIXED***
Similar issue. Unlocked from google with trad ein.
Grayed out etc.
Then there was an update yday and it fixed it.
Now i can unlock bootloader.
SD2A.220601.002.B1

It is the B1 in the end that I think you need

mbonus

Aug 18, 2010
Here's how I did it

Run the OTA, Log out of Google Account on device, Factory Reset the Device, Go through setup WITHOUT connecting to WIFI (sim out for no cellular connection), connect to wifi at the end of setup, wait for preparing your device to finish, then enable dev options. OEM Unlock will be selectable.

OTA did not work from google's website, OTA on device was the only update that worked
This worked for me

Reactions: TechX1991

stormcrank

Jul 28, 2022
***FIXED***
Similar issue. Unlocked from google with trad ein.
Grayed out etc.
Then there was an update yday and it fixed it.
Now i can unlock bootloader.
SD2A.220601.002.B1

It is the B1 in the end that I think you need
Did you have to do a reset or anything? Mine just OTA'd me the 002.B1 update. I installed it and restarted, but it's still grayed out.

natheux

Jul 7, 2013
between 0 & 1
Factory reset just now. Still gray. I think I'm on about my 40th factory reset since I received this thing trying to get OEM Unlock to work. This device is such a disappointment to me.
Might be a problem with your rom. Mine is 003.B1. You might have to try to update to 003.B1 using recovery factory image from Google's Pixel website
Screenshot_20220812-132155.png

stormcrank

Jul 28, 2022
For the record, I returned mine already. I got so tired of this stuff.
I was kinda hoping you'd chime in with where you were at with it. I probably should've returned mine, but they're giving me $300 for a $150 phone. If the next round of updates doesn't fix it I'll probably just sell this and move on.

FWC9696

Jul 29, 2022
I was kinda hoping you'd chime in with where you were at with it. I probably should've returned mine, but they're giving me $300 for a $150 phone. If the next round of updates doesn't fix it I'll probably just sell this and move on.
I was thinking I might still send the trade in for credit since it's a secondary phone, but then I would have to buy another 6a. It seems like too much trouble.

Jun 25, 2019
In some cases, the device just needs to be connected to the Internet for a while for OEM Unlocking to become available.

It is true that they can remedy this with a software update.

If OEM Unlocking is unavailable, this means that the ro.oem_unlock_supported property is set to 0.
If ro.oem_unlock_supported=1 then OEM Unlocking will be available in Developer Options. This toggles the get_unlock_ability property to 1, which informs the bootloader that unlocking is allowed.

I would request an RMA if this issue does not resolve itself. You paid for an unlocked device from Google; they should have sent you an unlocked device. When I ordered my Pixel 5, I unlocked it straight out of the box without even connecting to WiFi.
A little late, but I ran adb shell getprop ro.oem_unlock_supported and the command returns nothing. Ran adb shell getprop and that line does not exist. What does that mean?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had this problem, Google went as far as to replace my original handset with another that also had the issue.
    They asked for the IEMI and after the last security update the option is available....
    Did you factory reset or it just was available after the security update?
    I tried all the factory resets and different methods of connecting to wifi / sim card, etc on the 2nd handset they gave me - never changed the OEM status.

Gave them the IEMI of my original handset which was still locked, after the latest security update and reboot OEM unlocking was able to be toggled from dev menu.

Suggests to me they can push out OEM unlocking and it either requires an update and/or reboot for handset to pick it up.
    Hi this is a cross-post potentially, but this is what worked for me:
    I do not even have the choice to buy crappy "Verizon et al." locked variants in my country via the Google Store. I paid it in full up front and without any carrier bloat.

Just had a support chat with Google, they told me it's a bug and will be fixed in an update. Soon...ish.
    In some cases, the device just needs to be connected to the Internet for a while for OEM Unlocking to become available.

It is true that they can remedy this with a software update.

If OEM Unlocking is unavailable, this means that the ro.oem_unlock_supported property is set to 0.
    If ro.oem_unlock_supported=1 then OEM Unlocking will be available in Developer Options. This toggles the get_unlock_ability property to 1, which informs the bootloader that unlocking is allowed.

I would request an RMA if this issue does not resolve itself. You paid for an unlocked device from Google; they should have sent you an unlocked device. When I ordered my Pixel 5, I unlocked it straight out of the box without even connecting to WiFi.
    Can confirm bootloader unlock is working If you have a verizon sim installed in the device. I ordered the pixel 6a from Google directly, installed a non activated verizon sim and checked system updates. Security update was available and installed, did a factory reset and bootloader unlock option no longer greyed out.
    A little late, but I ran adb shell getprop ro.oem_unlock_supported and the command returns nothing. Ran adb shell getprop and that line does not exist. What does that mean?
    I don't know enough about these commands to be of help. Perhaps one of our respected and knowledgeable contributors like @ipdev or @pndwal might have some insight?

I assume you have USB debugging enabled...
    Some properties are hidden/restricted from user.

From my P6.
    Code:
    [[email protected] ip]$ adb shell getprop | grep 'unlock'
    [sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [1]

Running the command as root.
    Code:
    [[email protected] ip]$ adb shell su -c getprop | grep 'unlock'
    [ro.oem_unlock_supported]: [1]
    [sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [1]
    [[email protected] ip]$

Looks like sys.oem_unlock_allowed is still a user level prop.
    This value is set from the toggle in developer settings.
    0 - Not enabled
    1 - Enabled​
    Not too useful if the toggle is greyed out. 🙃

Cheers. :cowboy:

PS.
    I quickly skimmed this thread a bit.
    Glad my device budget was too light to buy a P6a. 🙃

If I remember correctly..
    My P6 had to be connected to WiFi to allow OEM unlocking under developer options.
    No sim card was installed.
    I am yet another who received a pixel 6a yesterday. Bootloader in dev options is greyed out at well.
    The reason for this post today is just to let you know to keep a eye on your return dates if you can't live without the bootloader unlocked.
    I spent over a hour and a half on the phone with both google fi and google this morning. Google was not able to do anything. I was sent back to google fi and we both agreed the carrier would be responsible to unlock the phone.
    Well once again when I spoke with the google fi rep I was informed of two things. First she tried to tell me cause I elected to use the upgrade plan it couldn't be unlocked for two years. I then informed her this is incorrect as first I already have a 5a on a upgrade plan and that has been unlocked from day one. Also I informed her I have 7 Pixel phones and everyone of them is bootloader unlockable and in fact are unlocked.
    I got two responses from this rep, she informed me that they do not consider the unlocking of the bootloader either a hardware or software issue, and then she said she didn't want to argue with me. lol
    She had me so heated that I asked for a return label to send the phone back. Didn't matter, she didn't care.
    So anyway for me I'm ready to return my 6a if nothing happens by monday.
    Again keep a eye on your return dates cause I have no idea what is going on with this.

P.S.: I could be wrong however I have a feeling they sent out a bunch of verizon carrier phones.
    Is there anyone that received the 6a that is able to unlock the bootloader?
    I was able to unlock mine. I bought the unlocked version on the Google store and Verizon is my carrier. It was greyed out at first too. After a few hours I had security update available. Around 40mb and the June patch I think. Reboot to finish the update and still greyed out. Then I decided to factory reset because I remember that happening on the Pixel 2 I think. Reboot and I was able to toggle it. I got Magisk and AOSP mods running now.