Question 6a from Google: Can't unlock bootloader

Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
A little late, but I ran adb shell getprop ro.oem_unlock_supported and the command returns nothing. Ran adb shell getprop and that line does not exist. What does that mean?
I don't know enough about these commands to be of help. Perhaps one of our respected and knowledgeable contributors like @ipdev or @pndwal might have some insight?

I assume you have USB debugging enabled...

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
A little late, but I ran adb shell getprop ro.oem_unlock_supported and the command returns nothing. Ran adb shell getprop and that line does not exist. What does that mean?
I don't know enough about these commands to be of help. Perhaps one of our respected and knowledgeable contributors like @ipdev or @pndwal might have some insight?

Some properties are hidden/restricted from user.

From my P6.
Code:
[[email protected] ip]$ adb shell getprop | grep 'unlock'
[sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [1]

Running the command as root.
Code:
[[email protected] ip]$ adb shell su -c getprop | grep 'unlock'
[ro.oem_unlock_supported]: [1]
[[email protected] ip]$

Looks like sys.oem_unlock_allowed is still a user level prop.
This value is set from the toggle in developer settings.
0 - Not enabled
1 - Enabled​
Not too useful if the toggle is greyed out. 🙃

Cheers. :cowboy:

PS.
I quickly skimmed this thread a bit.
Glad my device budget was too light to buy a P6a. 🙃

If I remember correctly..
My P6 had to be connected to WiFi to allow OEM unlocking under developer options.
No sim card was installed.

Jun 25, 2019

From my P6.
Code:

Code:
[[email protected] ip]$

This value is set from the toggle in developer settings.​
0 - Not enabled​
1 - Enabled​

PS.

My P6 had to be connected to WiFi to allow OEM unlocking under developer options.
Yeah I figured some lines would be hidden without root. Unfortunately my 6a is connected to internet and the option is still grey 😐

bargainbums

Apr 2, 2016
SHOUT OUT TO POST 160:

Weighing in my experience with this stupid issue that really shouldn't have happened in the first place:

**NO SIM WAS EVER PLACED INTO THE DEVICE**
Opened box, turned on phone, connected to internet. DID NOT ADD GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Enabled dev mode, OEM is locked.
Immediately updated system to June 2022 update - BUILD NUMBER: SD2A.220601.003.B1
Restarted. OEM unlock still grayed out.

Factory reset.
Did not connect to Wifi this time around during the set up.
After everything was "set up" , added Wifi and while that was running, immediately enabled dev mode, and OEM unlock was available.

Good luck to anyone else seeing issues.

subbaak1968

Apr 13, 2019
Google Pixel 5a
Google Pixel 6a
That is exactly right. A warning to others, never buy a branded device even from Google.
I bought pixel 6a and an Indian Pixel 6a bootloader can be unlocked.
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-21 at 1.06.31 AM.jpeg

ytsejam1138

Jul 27, 2013
Same Android 13. Bought from the Google Store, selected Google Fi, shipped with a Google Fi SIM already installed and my OEM Unlock is still greyed out. Really don't want to factory reset, but that seems to be the only solution for now and even that's not a guarantee.

Reactions: TenPercentPower
Jun 25, 2019
Same Android 13. Bought from the Google Store, selected Google Fi, shipped with a Google Fi SIM already installed and my OEM Unlock is still greyed out. Really don't want to factory reset, but that seems to be the only solution for now and even that's not a guarantee.
Yeah, factory resetting didn't do the trick for me. Glad to know I'm not the only one still having this issue

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, factory resetting didn't do the trick for me. Glad to know I'm not the only one still having this issue
Perhaps a poll is in order just to determine what is really happening. @ytsejam1138 since you bought it from Google Fi then you will absolutely need to reset the device to get the OEM switch active. @TenPercentPower where did you buy it from? Even if you bought it from Google store and chose the Verizon version or perhaps some other carrier branded you will not be able to unlock the bl. If you can return it then I suggest you do so. If it's too late then either resell it or live with it. Sorry to say.

Reactions: ctfrommn
Jun 25, 2019
@TenPercentPower where did you buy it from? Even if you bought it from Google store and chose the Verizon version or perhaps some other carrier branded you will not be able to unlock the bl. If you can return it then I suggest you do so. If it's too late then either resell it or live with it. Sorry to say.
I bought it from the Google store as the unlocked version. I'm currently running a Visible eSIM and have put in an AT&T SIM and they have both worked .

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I bought it from the Google store as the unlocked version. I'm currently running a Visible eSIM and have put in an AT&T SIM and they have both worked .
Then you need to contact Google and get a return authorization. There is an obvious defect in your device. I wouldn't take a refurb either but that might be all you get if you are outside the return window.

trita629

Jul 6, 2011
Dallas
Got this email today:

'The ability to access the OEM unlock settings in the bootloader was restored in the most recent software update for 6a. I request you to please wait for 1 week as it will take about a week before the OEM unlock is enabled. It is working as intended.

If you want an option immediately , you can do Factory data reset on your device in order to see the change in the bootloader. '

Reactions: Lughnasadh

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Got a 6a for myself 2 weeks ago. Got one for my wife today. In both cases, the Allow Unlock toggle was grayed out as received. In both cases, I ended up being able to toggle it for unlock. Steps:

1) No SIM until after you can toggle (not sure this matters, just what I did)

2) Go through most basic setup you can - allow wifi only, no account, no transfer from old phone. Don't install recommended apps (probably not important, but saves time). Let it complete until you get to home screen.

3) Check for system updates, and "update now". Wait until it completes, and "reboot now". This took both phones from the initial 12.1(?) release to the last 12.1 release.

4) After it reboots to new firmware, factory reset.

5) Same as #2

6) Enable Developer Options

7) Toggle is available. Enable it.

8) If you're going to actually unlock the bootloader, enable adb, adb reboot bootloader, and unlock it. Boot.

9) Factory reset to start setup from scratch.

10) Done. Do a complete setup as you wish, insert SIM, copy from old phone, etc. You should be able to check for updates and install 13 now.

YMMV.

Reactions: ctfrommn

rc420head

Jan 14, 2013
New Lenox
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 6a
Same here, bought 6a unlocked though the Google store (via google financing ) and oem unlock was grayed out. updated to android 13 via system update still grayed out. decided to do a full factory reset and now i can unlock. Thanks to all who suggested the factory reset. fyi i'm on T-Mobile and had my sim in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220826-190410.png
    Screenshot_20220826-190410.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 11

lukegvoigt

Oct 21, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
I got mine today - unlocked variant directly from Google. It came with Android 12. Upgraded to Android 13. OEM lock was greyed out. So I reset the phone, and when I set it back up, the option is now available.

tibl37

Aug 27, 2022
Hi! I've managed to switch «OEM Unlocking» (with updating to Android 13 and then factory reset; it's definitely not carrier-locked), however, it doesn't work :(

Bash:
❯ ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=./ fastboot flashall
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: bluejay-1.2-8893284
Baseband Version.....: <removed>
Serial Number........: <removed>
Checking 'product'                                 OKAY [  0.000s]
Setting current slot to 'a'                        FAILED (remote: 'set_active command is not allowed on locked devices')

Any ideas on how to fix it?

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Hi! I've managed to switch «OEM Unlocking» (with updating to Android 13 and then factory reset; it's definitely not carrier-locked), however, it doesn't work :(

Bash:
❯ ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=./ fastboot flashall
Bootloader Version...: bluejay-1.2-8893284
Baseband Version.....: <removed>
Serial Number........: <removed>
Checking 'product'                                 OKAY [  0.000s]
Setting current slot to 'a'                        FAILED (remote: 'set_active command is not allowed on locked devices')

Any ideas on how to fix it?
What doesnt work? Clicking the toggle is only step one, you still have to unlock the bootloader. The toggle just allows you to.

fastboot flashing unlock

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    $ fastboot --version
    fastboot version 33.0.2-8557947
    That is different than you posted earlier.

fastboot --version
    fastboot version 33.0.3-8952118

You have multiple versions of fastboot installed, so the first thing to do would be to remove all except the latest version. Also, you should not need sudo to run fastboot. If it will not run without sudo, you should setup a udev rule so sudo is not necessary. That is not the cause of your problem, though.
    Then you need to contact Google and get a return authorization. There is an obvious defect in your device. I wouldn't take a refurb either but that might be all you get if you are outside the return window.
    Just did. New one should be in tomorrow. Sending in the broken one soon :)
    Question: Unlocking wipes all my data, right?
    Flipping the allow unlocking switch in developer options doesn't. Actually unlocking the bootloader does.

Flipping the switch is considered a good thing to do, because it may allow you to recover from some future issue which would otherwise "brick" your phone, despite the need to wipe at that time.
    LMAO....you dont know me very well
    Haha well then you should really go for it. If you can unlock without a wipe then report it or sell the phone for a grand. At least!
    Did you factory reset or it just was available after the security update?
    I tried all the factory resets and different methods of connecting to wifi / sim card, etc on the 2nd handset they gave me - never changed the OEM status.

Gave them the IEMI of my original handset which was still locked, after the latest security update and reboot OEM unlocking was able to be toggled from dev menu.

Suggests to me they can push out OEM unlocking and it either requires an update and/or reboot for handset to pick it up.
    I do not even have the choice to buy crappy "Verizon et al." locked variants in my country via the Google Store. I paid it in full up front and without any carrier bloat.

Just had a support chat with Google, they told me it's a bug and will be fixed in an update. Soon...ish.
    In some cases, the device just needs to be connected to the Internet for a while for OEM Unlocking to become available.

It is true that they can remedy this with a software update.

If OEM Unlocking is unavailable, this means that the ro.oem_unlock_supported property is set to 0.
    If ro.oem_unlock_supported=1 then OEM Unlocking will be available in Developer Options. This toggles the get_unlock_ability property to 1, which informs the bootloader that unlocking is allowed.

I would request an RMA if this issue does not resolve itself. You paid for an unlocked device from Google; they should have sent you an unlocked device. When I ordered my Pixel 5, I unlocked it straight out of the box without even connecting to WiFi.
    Can confirm bootloader unlock is working If you have a verizon sim installed in the device. I ordered the pixel 6a from Google directly, installed a non activated verizon sim and checked system updates. Security update was available and installed, did a factory reset and bootloader unlock option no longer greyed out.

From my P6.
    Code:

Code:
    [[email protected] ip]$

This value is set from the toggle in developer settings.
    0 - Not enabled
    1 - Enabled​

PS.

I am yet another who received a pixel 6a yesterday. Bootloader in dev options is greyed out at well.
    The reason for this post today is just to let you know to keep a eye on your return dates if you can't live without the bootloader unlocked.
    I spent over a hour and a half on the phone with both google fi and google this morning. Google was not able to do anything. I was sent back to google fi and we both agreed the carrier would be responsible to unlock the phone.
    Well once again when I spoke with the google fi rep I was informed of two things. First she tried to tell me cause I elected to use the upgrade plan it couldn't be unlocked for two years. I then informed her this is incorrect as first I already have a 5a on a upgrade plan and that has been unlocked from day one. Also I informed her I have 7 Pixel phones and everyone of them is bootloader unlockable and in fact are unlocked.
    I got two responses from this rep, she informed me that they do not consider the unlocking of the bootloader either a hardware or software issue, and then she said she didn't want to argue with me. lol
    She had me so heated that I asked for a return label to send the phone back. Didn't matter, she didn't care.
    So anyway for me I'm ready to return my 6a if nothing happens by monday.
    Again keep a eye on your return dates cause I have no idea what is going on with this.

P.S.: I could be wrong however I have a feeling they sent out a bunch of verizon carrier phones.
    Is there anyone that received the 6a that is able to unlock the bootloader?
    I was able to unlock mine. I bought the unlocked version on the Google store and Verizon is my carrier. It was greyed out at first too. After a few hours I had security update available. Around 40mb and the June patch I think. Reboot to finish the update and still greyed out. Then I decided to factory reset because I remember that happening on the Pixel 2 I think. Reboot and I was able to toggle it. I got Magisk and AOSP mods running now.