Question 6a from Google: Can't unlock bootloader

Search This thread

taodan

Nov 27, 2011
LineageOS
I've followed this thread since August, following every suggestion in hopes of finding a solution which would un-gray OEM Unlocking on my unlocked 6a. To date, I have tried every single recommendation I've encountered but none of the have worked. I really got my hopes up with the steps above, but, alas, my phone still has OEM unlocking grayed out.

Can you expand on this slightly? Should the SIM card be inserted at some point and if so, when? At what point should I activate developer options? When should I join a wi-fi network? Are there any restarts other than the one that takes place after the factory reset?

Thanks in advance.
After you had tried all the steps but the "OEM Unlocking" option still greyed out, turn the "Use developer options" off and then the "OEM Unlocking" will be enabled which you just need to slide to turn it on.

thebitjuggler

Sep 14, 2022
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 7T
I've followed this thread since August, following every suggestion in hopes of finding a solution which would un-gray OEM Unlocking on my unlocked 6a. To date, I have tried every single recommendation I've encountered but none of the have worked. I really got my hopes up with the steps above, but, alas, my phone still has OEM unlocking grayed out.

Can you expand on this slightly? Should the SIM card be inserted at some point and if so, when? At what point should I activate developer options? When should I join a wi-fi network? Are there any restarts other than the one that takes place after the factory reset?

Thanks in advance.
Hey I didn't have a sim inserted into the phone. If you have any specific questions please let me know.

ritchea

After you had tried all the steps but the "OEM Unlocking" option still greyed out, turn the "Use developer options" off and then the "OEM Unlocking" will be enabled which you just need to slide to turn it on.
Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't work for me. I had to try a reset for other issues so I just did 5 (because 1-4 didn't enable OEM unlocking--neither did #5) factory resets without my AT&T prepaid sim. First two were from within system, last 3 were from recovery. I have just reported the fails in another thread on similar topic.
This worked for me - the exception being that i updated the phone to the september android 13 release.

Thanks!
It was worth the try. NO go. I'm on Oct update. Thanks for yet another suggestion.

ritchea

After receiving the Dec update with OEM unlocking still greyed out, I contacted Google. Note, every "OEM greyed out" thread on Google forums has been closed to further comments. This is part of the chat regarding the issue. While I still swear Google is doing absolutely nothing about it (I hope I am wrong), they are claiming to be "working on it." I will contact them each month after an update if necessary. Earlier, on one of the threads re OEM unlocking, I'd posted that I hadn't checked my son's phone (we ordered at the exact same time under the exactly same conditions shipped from the same location). I checked last week. His OEM unlocking is NOT grey out.
1670323994049.png

If you haven't tried it already:

Also a little tip for anyone trying to enable OEM unlocking on a device and it is grayed out, you can force the phone to check for eligibility by connecting to the internet in whatever way, going to the dialer, and dialing *#*#2432546#*#* (CHECKIN).
You should receive a notification from Google Play services with "checkin succeeded" and OEM unlocking should be available immediately if the device is eligible.
Google account not needed, SIM not needed, no other setup required. Works on completely-skipped-setup-wizard. Just need to make sure to connect to the internet and select the connection as metered to avoid any updates.

Last edited:

ritchea

I'm restating from elsewhere but i've succeeded when this happens via a factory reset and upgrade to the latest factory image.

Also something i found from the P7Pro root/BL unlock threads (i've never personally used this method):
Toggle OEM unlocking on. See @Namelesswonder's tip below (this won't help with variants that are supposed to be bootloader locked):
This (hack) is a new one for me. I got the checkin succeeded, but OEM unlock is still grayed out. I will look into it. My 6a was ordered as unlocked not carrier connected.
1670360622008.png

I've tried the resets with/without sim/internet (at least a dozen) but not until I'd updated to 13.
Getprop gives me
1670361094581.png
. I don't know if that means I don't have it toggled, or that I'm not allowed to have it toggled. I have also checked my IMEI at various phone service sites to see if the device qualifies for another service. It always shows as qualifying. Google knows what I ordered.
I've been ordering unlocked phones (and a few tablets) from Google since the Galaxy nexus (only Samsung phone I've ever had). This is the only one I've ever received with this issue.

This (hack) is a new one for me. I got the checkin succeeded, but OEM unlock is still grayed out. I will look into it. My 6a was ordered as unlocked not carrier connected. View attachment 5779023
I've tried the resets with/without sim/internet (at least a dozen) but not until I'd updated to 13.
Getprop gives me View attachment 5779027. I don't know if that means I don't have it toggled, or that I'm not allowed to have it toggled. I have also checked my IMEI at various phone service sites to see if the device qualifies for another service. It always shows as qualifying. Google knows what I ordered.
I've been ordering unlocked phones (and a few tablets) from Google since the Galaxy nexus (only Samsung phone I've ever had). This is the only one I've ever received with this issue.
I had the same issue with my wife's Pixel 3. Google support was responsive as long as i was very clear on my error (OEM Unlocking greyed out, no BL unlock possible). It took a RMA via a chat session but the issue was resolved (after ~10 days of waiting and returning the original P3). Some phones just get released as bad units.

The same issue also cropped up with her 6a. I factory reset that unit and upgraded from sd2a.220601.003.b1 (A12, from factory) to tp1a.221105.002 (A13, factory image upgrade via adb). That cleared her error and i went through the "usual" BL-unlock & root process. No SIM, no internet, skip through all the setup steps, etc. Hopefully the support team can help you out or at least get you a new unit!

ritchea

I had the same issue with my wife's Pixel 3. Google support was responsive as long as i was very clear on my error (OEM Unlocking greyed out, no BL unlock possible). It took a RMA via a chat session but the issue was resolved (after ~10 days of waiting and returning the original P3). Some phones just get released as bad units.

The same issue also cropped up with her 6a. I factory reset that unit and upgraded from sd2a.220601.003.b1 (A12, from factory) to tp1a.221105.002 (A13, factory image upgrade via adb). That cleared her error and i went through the "usual" BL-unlock & root process. No SIM, no internet, skip through all the setup steps, etc. Hopefully the support team can help you out or at least get you a new unit!
Just posted here (https://xdaforums.com/t/pixel-6a-oe...-still-in-august-update.4480839/post-87891013) that I received a new phone which, after doing a factory reset and toggling Developer Options switch, did open up the OEM unlock toggle.

ck.chunkeat

Apr 24, 2012
Bought a new pixel 6a, was on september patch, updated it to december patch . Now when i wanted to attempt root, oem option is greyed out. Any help?

ck.chunkeat

Apr 24, 2012
New from Google? Is it a carrier variant or unlocked? Did you check the OEM Unlocking toggle before updating?
I am not sure if it is from google, bought it from hong kong reseller and they claim it is japan set.
I dont think it is carrier locked as I have tested with 2 sim card from different telco and both works.

I did not check the oem unlocking toggle before updating.

ck.chunkeat

Apr 24, 2012
The only way I can think of to check whether it's a locked variant is via the model number, but I'm only familiar with US devices.

The only thing you can really do is connect to the Internet and see if OEM Unlocking becomes available after a bit of time.
Thanks, I've also saw somewhere saying it will automatically allow us to unlock oem after using the phone for few days/ a week.

Guess that's what I'll do. Else, will have to just live with no root for this phone.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, I've also saw somewhere saying it will automatically allow us to unlock oem after using the phone for few days/ a week.

Guess that's what I'll do. Else, will have to just live with no root for this phone.
Once it's connected to the Internet, it should check the servers within a short time to see if the IMEI is whitelisted, and if so, will set sys.oem_unlock_allowed to 1, making the OEM Unlock toggle available.

KGBagentIvan

Nov 21, 2022
Hi all,
just received my 6a directly from Google and I seem to be unable to unlock the bootloader.
The option "OEM unlocking" is greyed out and it says "Connect to the internet or contact your carrier.".

I connected it to the internet via Wifi and updated all the apps.

What can I do?

Best,
Mustkeg
I had the same issue on pixel 4a.. untill I removed a screen lock... remove finger print, lock pattern and try again

Last edited:
Reactions: alecxs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I do not even have the choice to buy crappy "Verizon et al." locked variants in my country via the Google Store. I paid it in full up front and without any carrier bloat.

Just had a support chat with Google, they told me it's a bug and will be fixed in an update. Soon...ish.
    In some cases, the device just needs to be connected to the Internet for a while for OEM Unlocking to become available.

It is true that they can remedy this with a software update.

If OEM Unlocking is unavailable, this means that the ro.oem_unlock_supported property is set to 0.
    If ro.oem_unlock_supported=1 then OEM Unlocking will be available in Developer Options. This toggles the get_unlock_ability property to 1, which informs the bootloader that unlocking is allowed.

I would request an RMA if this issue does not resolve itself. You paid for an unlocked device from Google; they should have sent you an unlocked device. When I ordered my Pixel 5, I unlocked it straight out of the box without even connecting to WiFi.
    Can confirm bootloader unlock is working If you have a verizon sim installed in the device. I ordered the pixel 6a from Google directly, installed a non activated verizon sim and checked system updates. Security update was available and installed, did a factory reset and bootloader unlock option no longer greyed out.
    A little late, but I ran adb shell getprop ro.oem_unlock_supported and the command returns nothing. Ran adb shell getprop and that line does not exist. What does that mean?
    I don't know enough about these commands to be of help. Perhaps one of our respected and knowledgeable contributors like @ipdev or @pndwal might have some insight?

I assume you have USB debugging enabled...
    Some properties are hidden/restricted from user.

From my P6.
    Code:
    [ip@lost ip]$ adb shell getprop | grep 'unlock'
    [sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [1]

Running the command as root.
    Code:
    [ip@lost ip]$ adb shell su -c getprop | grep 'unlock'
    [ro.oem_unlock_supported]: [1]
    [sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [1]
    [ip@lost ip]$

Looks like sys.oem_unlock_allowed is still a user level prop.
    This value is set from the toggle in developer settings.
    0 - Not enabled
    1 - Enabled​
    Not too useful if the toggle is greyed out. 🙃

Cheers. :cowboy:

PS.
    I quickly skimmed this thread a bit.
    Glad my device budget was too light to buy a P6a. 🙃

If I remember correctly..
    My P6 had to be connected to WiFi to allow OEM unlocking under developer options.
    No sim card was installed.
    I am yet another who received a pixel 6a yesterday. Bootloader in dev options is greyed out at well.
    The reason for this post today is just to let you know to keep a eye on your return dates if you can't live without the bootloader unlocked.
    I spent over a hour and a half on the phone with both google fi and google this morning. Google was not able to do anything. I was sent back to google fi and we both agreed the carrier would be responsible to unlock the phone.
    Well once again when I spoke with the google fi rep I was informed of two things. First she tried to tell me cause I elected to use the upgrade plan it couldn't be unlocked for two years. I then informed her this is incorrect as first I already have a 5a on a upgrade plan and that has been unlocked from day one. Also I informed her I have 7 Pixel phones and everyone of them is bootloader unlockable and in fact are unlocked.
    I got two responses from this rep, she informed me that they do not consider the unlocking of the bootloader either a hardware or software issue, and then she said she didn't want to argue with me. lol
    She had me so heated that I asked for a return label to send the phone back. Didn't matter, she didn't care.
    So anyway for me I'm ready to return my 6a if nothing happens by monday.
    Again keep a eye on your return dates cause I have no idea what is going on with this.

P.S.: I could be wrong however I have a feeling they sent out a bunch of verizon carrier phones.
    Is there anyone that received the 6a that is able to unlock the bootloader?
    I was able to unlock mine. I bought the unlocked version on the Google store and Verizon is my carrier. It was greyed out at first too. After a few hours I had security update available. Around 40mb and the June patch I think. Reboot to finish the update and still greyed out. Then I decided to factory reset because I remember that happening on the Pixel 2 I think. Reboot and I was able to toggle it. I got Magisk and AOSP mods running now.