Question 6GB version battery performance?

Search This thread

surfmadpig

Feb 21, 2012
I'm almost decided. I'm buying the G30, and the battery is one of the main reasons.
I'm tempted to buy the Amazon-exclusive 6GB version. Everything else on board is identical; just 6GB instead of 4GB RAM.

However, would the 6GB affect battery performance vs the 4GB version, whose battery benchmarks are pretty much where I need them? Does anyone know?

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Depends somewhat on the memory type.
    My Note 10+ has a older generation of ram memory than the N20U. With 12 gb of ram all I notice is snappy performance with good battery life.
    The impact of 2 gb of extra ram on battery life should be very small. 6 gb is the minimum I would have so it's a no brainer to go for the 6 gb variant.

Reactions: surfmadpig

surfmadpig

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks! That makes sense and come to think of it my previous phone was 6GB too so I shouldn't downgrade.

Some interesting answers here if anyone else has the same question:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/j1os1g

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Right now I have two browser open. You'll want the 6 gb. I reccomend staying away from Android 11, it's a hog that gives little in return.
    Screenshot_20210610-201812_Settings.jpg

Reactions: surfmadpig

surfmadpig

Feb 21, 2012
    Hmmm... I don't know. For the specs I'm looking for, there aren't many more options out there.

Yes, the G30 is no flagship but it's got exactly what I want: great battery, it's not too large or bulky, dual sim, it doesn't have MIUI nor much bloatware, has decent camera.

I don't think I have many more options with somewhat decent specs, esp. at 6GB.

There's the G10 but it's got bad Wi-Fi, and all the 'power' models are worse in other specs, I think.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Hmmm... I don't know. For the specs I'm looking for, there aren't many more options out there.

Yes, the G30 is no flagship but it's got exactly what I want: great battery, it's not too large or bulky, dual sim, it doesn't have MIUI nor much bloatware, has decent camera.

I don't think I have many more options with somewhat decent specs, esp. at 6GB.

There's the G10 but it's got bad Wi-Fi, and all the 'power' models are worse in other specs, I think.

I never use wi-fi, it's a security risk. No need for it if you have an unlimited plan except as a hot spot.
    By enabling only wifi updates then setting Playstore etc to only do automatic updates by wi-fi you can stop those apps auto-updates from raising hell. I use the wi-fi options like that🤣

Get best rated phone with best specs in the class you're looking at. The more of that model sold the better the support and parts availability.

Consider used models in excellent condition as well; example, a Note 10+ 512 gb can be had for $650. Just check the display for burn in with Screen Test before accepting. B&H Photo gives you a 100% return policy on anything you buy from them.
    Batteries are fairly easy to replace even on the 10+ so don't sweat that.

surfmadpig

Feb 21, 2012
    Nah, that approach doesn't work for me at all. It's not even about class, as not all the phones in each class have the exact same config.

Firstly, almost all flagship phones are huge anyway, and I don't like huge. Then they almost never have better batteries than this. A good phone is no use if you can't keep it on.

Then, many excellent phones use MIUI, which I loathe. And so on. I'm not above used and refurbished models, but only when they fit my requirements.

I don't have an unlimited data plan cause there's no need for that. I use 2-3GB total and that's how much I need.

Different strokes. Thanks for your help though :)

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
    Iasi
    Is a Good phone. 90hz, Awesome! Big battery. It depends on the user how long it last...
    If you don't use wifi, bluetooth, nfc and apps that eats power will last for a long time.
    Very good value for the money.
    New, not from the store, around 100$, in my region/country. 6/128 gb
    I use Note 10+ 5g, the most beautifull phone. Good? Not so much. That 90hz (G30)over 60hz (Note 10), on the G30 matters! Huge price! I pay around 650 $ last year, in the summer. G30 moves better. Less bloatware.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Bluetooth seems to use very little battery on my 10+ in standby mode or in actual use. In 12 hours including 4 hours active usage it was at 1%.
    Samsung's done a good job with their bt Buds+ it would seem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Nah, that approach doesn't work for me at all. It's not even about class, as not all the phones in each class have the exact same config.

Firstly, almost all flagship phones are huge anyway, and I don't like huge. Then they almost never have better batteries than this. A good phone is no use if you can't keep it on.

Then, many excellent phones use MIUI, which I loathe. And so on. I'm not above used and refurbished models, but only when they fit my requirements.

I don't have an unlimited data plan cause there's no need for that. I use 2-3GB total and that's how much I need.

Different strokes. Thanks for your help though :)
      Depends somewhat on the memory type.
      My Note 10+ has a older generation of ram memory than the N20U. With 12 gb of ram all I notice is snappy performance with good battery life.
      The impact of 2 gb of extra ram on battery life should be very small. 6 gb is the minimum I would have so it's a no brainer to go for the 6 gb variant.
      Thanks! That makes sense and come to think of it my previous phone was 6GB too so I shouldn't downgrade.

Some interesting answers here if anyone else has the same question:
      https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/j1os1g
      Right now I have two browser open. You'll want the 6 gb. I reccomend staying away from Android 11, it's a hog that gives little in return.
      Screenshot_20210610-201812_Settings.jpg
      Is a Good phone. 90hz, Awesome! Big battery. It depends on the user how long it last...
      If you don't use wifi, bluetooth, nfc and apps that eats power will last for a long time.
      Very good value for the money.
      New, not from the store, around 100$, in my region/country. 6/128 gb
      I use Note 10+ 5g, the most beautifull phone. Good? Not so much. That 90hz (G30)over 60hz (Note 10), on the G30 matters! Huge price! I pay around 650 $ last year, in the summer. G30 moves better. Less bloatware.