[7.July.2011][ROM][GSM][2.3.3] ◄► Overcome ROM v3.0.0-ICARUS ◄► Kernel v3.2.0 ◄►

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

adinis78

Sep 29, 2010
Harrison, NJ
No if you wipe voltage settings you will only be reverted to stock voltage settings as dictated by the kernel and not the old overcome or even stock froyo settings.

Ok for the last time let me make this crystal clear. Froyo and Gingerbread have Different power and memory management. Voltage settings working on Froyo will Most likely NOT AND SHOULD NOT Work for gingerbread and hence you can undervolt less. Nevertless GB being battery efficient you dont need to UV as Froyo If at all.

Now on to the memory: GB handles memory differently so if you see that you have less memory but system is running stable then simply ignore that fact. The memory is there to be used whether for caching or swap or whatever. You can use task killer for the satisfaction sake of seeing more memory but that will simply force the system to start it again and consuming system resources in the process hence affecting overall performance. Think of it this way: if it aint broke dont fix it ;)

thanks for that, i guess i just got used to having my tab o/c @ 1.4. i'll test out the new rom and go from there, i guess i could always go back to 1.4.4 (or last version) if i am not happy with it.

ps: it been has been a while since i last flashed a new rom i really did not want to go through 500+ pages of post, i am very happy with all the overcome roms so far.

jt_81

Apr 1, 2011
I would like to ask this again, as unfortunately I didn't get an answer last time and I don't think that these questions are stupid or have been answered before.

Where does the nice boost in 3D graphics performance in latest kernel come from? I recognized that in the first 3D benchmark of quadrant I have on average 20 percent more fps than on latest koxudaxi or dip7 or overcome Hermes kernel (i.e. 60 fps in the room before the stairs compared to 45). Is the benchmark just too artificial or is the performance gain real?

And second, I noticed that this particular benchmark is extremely sensitive to the CPU governor. I get like 15 to 25 fps with ondemand and 30 to 60 with smartass. Does
that mean smartass is the top choice for HD games?

Also I didn't notice that smartass uses much more battery than ondemand. Where do you guys get that impression from and why did you make ondemand the default governor especially if performance seems to differ a lot for certain applications?

That's all at 1400 MHz.

Keep up the good work!
Cheers

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Last edited:

adinis78

Sep 29, 2010
Harrison, NJ
I would like to ask this again, as unfortunately I didn't get an answer last time and I don't think that these questions are stupid or have been answered before.

Where does the nice boost in 3D graphics performance in latest kernel come from? I recognized that in the first 3D benchmark of quadrant I have on average 20 percent more fps than on latest koxudaxi or dip7 or overcome Hermes kernel (i.e. 60 fps in the room before the srairs compared to 45). Is the benchmark just too artificial or is the performance gain real?

And second, I noticed that this particular benchmark is extremely sensitive to the CPU governor. I get like 15 to 25 fps with ondemand and 30 to 60 with smartass. Does
that mean smartass is the top choice for HD games?

Also I didn't notice that smartass uses much more battery than ondemand. Where do you guys get that impression from and why did you make ondemand the default governor especially if performance seems to differ a lot for certain applications?

That's all at 1400 MHz.

Keep up the good work!
Cheers

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

How did u get your tsb to tun at 1400mhz? My keeps freezing and turning off

Sent from HAL 9000

muli82

May 13, 2011
Hey all,

Stupid question. Been having problems with the facebook app not updating and a couple games fcing and freezing the tab so i restocked with v5. Still have the same issues, the facebook thing is driving me nuts. Is it the fb app or the rom?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium App

I had a similar problem since i updated to icarus from stock rom that i could only update 3-4 apps at a time after that it would refuse to update any more unless i reboot the device

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
Before getting the next Overcome ROM with all the new bells & whistle could we just have a fixed kernel where the Volt table is back to normal? Should take a few minutes to compile... and would be a huuuge step forward for people who like overclocking (It is for the moment the only reason why I stay away from Icarus and stuck with my Hermes)

insanemal

Mar 19, 2009
Brisbane
Hi,
Firstly, Thanks for an AWESOME ROM.
I must have a friendly Tab as I have been running 1.4Ghz on Icarus without issue.
Well.. almost.
It seems there is a 3G/HSDPA data issue in this build.
When connected with 3G and the tab has been on for a day or so, I start getting HUGE packet loss. Like 90-99.9% packet loss. If I switch back to 3G (and connect using EDGE) I get like 0 loss just some 1000ms packets every now and then.
It never used to do this on Hermes. If I reboot, it comes good. If I Flight Mode.. sometimes it comes good.
Dunno If that helps narrow it down. If you need logs or anything let me know.
But thanks again for an awesome rom!

kangfu84

Dec 2, 2010
Ok so i was playing with voltage settings and i think i saved an unstable configuration and now i cant boot up my tab.

It gets to the lockscreen then either turns off or reboots again.

Any way i can clear the undervolt/OC settings via CwM? Does clearing caches do this?

shokouhi

Apr 2, 2011
Salt Lake City
Okay I am having the same issue. I overclocked to 1200 and min at 100. Told it to save on boot. now I can't boot up. Any advice? I told it to boot into recovery and it won't do that either. I have had many android phones but this is my first tab. Is there another way to get into clockwork to try and reflash the rom. Like volume down and power etc? Anything would be great as to advise at the moment it is not getting past boot TMO splash...

Shokouhi

insanemal

Mar 19, 2009
Brisbane
Hi,
Firstly, Thanks for an AWESOME ROM.
I must have a friendly Tab as I have been running 1.4Ghz on Icarus without issue.
Well.. almost.
It seems there is a 3G/HSDPA data issue in this build.
When connected with 3G and the tab has been on for a day or so, I start getting HUGE packet loss. Like 90-99.9% packet loss. If I switch back to 3G (and connect using EDGE) I get like 0 loss just some 1000ms packets every now and then.
It never used to do this on Hermes. If I reboot, it comes good. If I Flight Mode.. sometimes it comes good.
Dunno If that helps narrow it down. If you need logs or anything let me know.
But thanks again for an awesome rom!

Quick update, reverted to Hermes. 3G data 100x more stable. So any ideas?

bigeyes0x0

Jun 20, 2011
Saigon
Overcome the Joker edition is being tasted (screw Greek mythos, see how Icarus felt lol). In case anything is broken just shout "Why so serious?" and it's fixed.

thepittbull

May 27, 2010
Selayang
Please help us help you!

Before getting the next Overcome ROM with all the new bells & whistle could we just have a fixed kernel where the Volt table is back to normal? Should take a few minutes to compile... and would be a huuuge step forward for people who like overclocking (It is for the moment the only reason why I stay away from Icarus and stuck with my Hermes)

So you just can't overclock at the lower voltages currently set with Icarus, and you want us to release a kernel for you just so that you can? Geez, all these "Gimme, gimme, gimme" mentality. Will you just stop being so impatient, and just hold on to your horses? There are processes we follow, and we do not want to rush a release. There's already been ungrateful comments about Icarus being a rushed release, etc, and you want to add some unneeded pressure? It's not that the your Tab is totally broken and you cannot use your Tab with Icarus! It's just that you can't overclock or overclock that high with it, and as you've said, there's still Hermes there...

thanks for that, i guess i just got used to having my tab o/c @ 1.4. i'll test out the new rom and go from there, i guess i could always go back to 1.4.4 (or last version) if i am not happy with it.

ps: it been has been a while since i last flashed a new rom i really did not want to go through 500+ pages of post, i am very happy with all the overcome roms so far.

Sure, going back through 500+ pages is a chore. But the least you could do is search for alterbridge86's last few posts. It's not that tough. There's a search function. Use it. The least you can do to show respect is to read the developer's posts.

Then, there's "The Overcome Experience" dedicated website (if you can't seem to find it, it's at http://www.teamovercome.net) Most, if not all the pertinent information is there. Take the time to read it. It's been mentioned that yes Icarus has a lower set voltages, and we're fixing it in the next release. That's the reason why we created the dedicated website. To track the latest bugs, to post the latest FAQs. It is not meant, as some unfairly jumped the gun earlier, to be a commercial site, but an information portal to all things Overcome.

Check there before you keep moaning that, "Oh my poor tab, it can't overclock...." I've mentioned in the guides, that NOT ALL SILICONES ARE CREATED EQUALLY! Some can, some can't! You're can't? Awww... poor thing.... do you want me to give you a lollipop too?

Ok so i was playing with voltage settings and i think i saved an unstable configuration and now i cant boot up my tab.

It gets to the lockscreen then either turns off or reboots again.

Any way i can clear the undervolt/OC settings via CwM? Does clearing caches do this?

Yes it's there in the CWM. "Wipe Volt settings" or something like that. Please look for it yourself.

----

I really can't believe some of the self-absorbed, "I deserve the best and I demand that you give it to me NOW!" mentality that some of you have! Sometimes, it makes me feel like throwing in the towel...

Look guys, going forwards, as part of the support structure that the team tries to offer, we've basically decided to refer people to the site if the issue has been posted on, bugtracked or been resolved on the site. Please help us to do the same. It's been the same, every few pages, there's a discussion on a bug, then the team replies, then forward a few days and a few hundred posts later, the same cries for help on the same bugs crop up again, and the whole rigamarole starts again. In the process, real bugs that crop up gets lost in the clutter.

Starting from the next release also, we're mandating this policy again: restock according to the guide! The "No-wipes"/updaters are meant to be a bonus but NOT our preferred way of doing things. We try to please and it's come back to bite us in the arse. A lot of people must think that the Overcome team is rolling in dough, and that all we do in life is sit here and just build this and we're rolling in money coming in from donations.

We're just a team of like-minded friends who love our Tab and contribute to make it the best device possible. We're not a corporation and WE DO NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES TO LOOK INTO EVERY POSSIBLE CONFIGURATION/MODS/APPS THAT YOU'VE DONE/INSTALLED/MUCKED ABOUT! As such, our policy would be as such: sure, you can "no-wipe" as it's convenient. But if any issues crop up, please re-stock and install according to the guide. (Sure, there'll be some know-it-all that'll try to inflict their agenda here again, saying you can just wipe with CwM, etc. Sure, you can. Your prerogative, and I'm never going to stop you... but, if you're going to get the team to help you...) The first question we're going to ask going forwards is, first: Have you restocked according to the guide?

If not, please do that, and see if the problem persists.

OK. Rant over.

Cheers and have a nice day!

tpb

Last edited:
Reactions: bartlaroc

DarkPal

Mar 10, 2011
Victoria
And it seems that I have written a whole article about CwM for Apple users. @Fantasy If you read the article about CwM guide that especially highlights custom features of overcome CwM like wiping voltage settings clean from advanced menu, you wouldve saved yourself alot of hassle of restocking and starting over. One of the great things about android that you can grow from a novoice user to a power advanced user and maybe even a developer but only if you do your homework by readinng and know what is what and how things are done.

Just my 2 cents really.
For those who are having troubles booting after failed voltage settings, I suggest you read this: http://www.teamovercome.net/?p=913

@louser I will check it out.

Pharaohnough

Mar 12, 2007
Cairo
POCO M3 Pro / Redmi Note 10 5G
Use Common Sense!

Sure, going back through 500+ pages is a chore. But the least you could do is search for alterbride86's last few posts. It's not that tough. There's a seach function. Use it. The least you can do to show respect is to read the developer's posts.

I would like to add to TBP's post that as of the next release, we will be closing the threads for older releases. I think that this approach, in addition to maintaining a clear-cut focus on the Bug Tracker at teamovercome.net, will both help reduce the clutter so we do not end up with a thread of 5000+ posts like this one. This will make life easier for us and you. As users, you also need to help us help you as TBP said. Please make an effort to see if your problem has been spotted/reported/resolved before you post. It really does not take that much time but could save everyone a great deal of bother!

We're just a team of like-minded friends who love our Tab and contribute to make it the best device possible. We're not a corporation and WE DO NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES TO LOOK INTO EVERY POSSIBLE CONFIGURATION/MODS/APPS THAT YOU'VE DONE/INSTALLED/MUCKED ABOUT!
I don't know how to re-emphasise this one without getting into TBP-Rant-mode... Please be reasonable people... I know that most of you are, save for the few knobheads that like to make some noise just for the sake of it... The Overcome Experience is a very successful project that attracts in excess of 40,000 downloads (all files) and several hundred thousand visitors per month. We are a core team of 3 individuals backed up by a support team of 6... Do the math and help us help you!

Reactions: VIPPER2004

ipit

Nov 29, 2010
I really can't believe some of the self-absorbed, "I deserve the best and I demand that you give it to me NOW!" mentality that some of you have! Sometimes, it makes me feel like throwing in the towel...

amen to that. It seems that the inflated sense of entitlement has no cultural or geographical bounds. Everyday I'm at a loss to understand why people think they deserve so much and generally those are the least deserving. Anyway I digress /rant over.

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
So you just can't overclock at the lower voltages currently set with Icarus, and you want us to release a kernel for you just so that you can? Geez, all these "Gimme, gimme, gimme" mentality. Will you just stop being so impatient, and just hold on to your horses? There are processes we follow, and we do not want to rush a release. There's already been ungrateful comments about Icarus being a rushed release, etc, and you want to add some unneeded pressure? It's not that the your Tab is totally broken and you cannot use your Tab with Icarus! It's just that you can't overclock or overclock that high with it, and as you've said, there's still Hermes there...

tpb

I thought my post was rather polite... While yours sounds like you ate something heavy weighting on your stomach... Honestly read your post again... I was quite surprised by your answer given how dedicated you have been to produce your excellent guide and contribute to this thread and work
Thre points on my side:

1. I am not asking for a kernel for ME alone. I am not even ASKING. I was SUGGESTING (read the post). Numerous people here are stuck without being able to overclock much because the kernel was released with too aggressive UV settings... I was just mentioning that changing the UV table is probably a very quick process and this could have been an easy quick fix (without touching anything else)
2. Yes my Tab is not broken, right. I can even revert to the stock Gingerbread. But that's not the point
3. I could have been aggressive by mentioning that yes Icarus was a long wait (Fair enough it's thee free work of a group of enthousiastic people doing this on their free time and I feel lucky you guys are working hard on it, especially given there are not that many devs for the Tab). An especially long wait given the "marketing" buzz you guys had been using ("BIG surprise coming", etc, etc...) and that for the wait and all the marketing around the long "testing process" going on by numerous members of the team (etc, etc) the result looks a bit buggy so far
But I definitely didn't say that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [7.July.2011][ROM][GSM][2.3.3] ◄► Overcome ROM v3.0.0-ICARUS ◄► Kernel v3.2.0 ◄►

DISCLAIMER: You know the drill, I am not responsible if loading this rom makes your Tab melt, explode, disintegrate, or cause harm to anyone near it. (I am fairly certain none of that will happen though ;) )

Change log in second post.

ROM FEATURES
    • BGJP4 Base Rom - ANDROID 2.3.3
    • Overcome kernel v3.2.0 included
    • No Modem is included - due to a variety of personal preference I decided to leave that a la carte :)
    • Fully Deodexed
    • Fully Zipaligned
    • Rooted with busybox installed
    • Reboot/Recovery/Download options added to the power menu
    • Accurate battery mod with gingerbread styling
    • Blur removed across system (i.e. behind power option menu) - significantly improves performance
    • Power Off confirmation disabled
    • Screen off animation enabled
    • Overscroll Glow effect enabled
    • Added AppWidgetPicker
    • CSC set to XEU
    • Ads Blocked
    • Updated Market to 2.3.6
    • Updated Maps to 5.7.0
    • Flash Player removed due to compatibility issue - install from market and you'll be all set.
    • Updated GMail to 2.3.4
    • Updated YouTube to 2.1.6
    • Updated SamsungApps to 2.5.039
    • Updated StreetView to 1.6.0.6
    • Updated Thinkfree Office Suite
    • Removed Startup/Shutdown sounds
    • Cool boot animation
    • A2DP Bluetooth Connection Fix Integrated
    • SIP calling enabled over 3g AND WiFi
    • Fugutweaks integrated
    • Browser mods (enabled "Default Zoom" in settings, added "User Agent" in settings, set plugins to "on demand" by default)

KERNEL FEATURES
    • Support RFS/EXT2/EXT3/EXT4
    • OC/UV with these steps: 1.6ghz, 1.5ghz, 1.4ghz, 1.3ghz, 1.2ghz, 1ghz, 800mhz, 600mhz, 400mhz, 200mhz, 100mhz
    • Replaced kernel jhash2 with jhash3
    • Adjusted kernel HZ value to improve smoothness
    • Optimized lowmemorykiller values
    • Optimized compiler flags
    • Voodoo Sound v9 (courtesy of supercurio)
    • Voodoo Lagfix (courtesy of supercurio)
    • Overcome CwM Recovery v4.0.0.5 (Custom built Clockworkmod v4.0.0.5)
    • Full support of internal/external SD cards in Recovery
    • Simple I/O Scheduler added and set as Default
    • Kernel tweaks to VM and Scheduler for better performance
    • Built in CIFS/TUN/SlowWork support
    • Touchscreen Undervolting (courtesy Koxudaxi)
    • RAM Undervolting
    • Stochastic Fair Blue (SFB) Network Scheduler
    • Autogroup Scheduler
    • Asynchronous I/O Enabled (AIO)
    • Backlight Notifications (Thanks to Neldar for the mod and Koxudaxi for the patch)

INSTALL GUIDE
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=64

DOWNLOADS
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=558

TIPS AND TWEAKS
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=68

FAQ's
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=66

SOURCES
    https://github.com/alterbridge86

Thanks!
    sohrab1985 and kay_kiat for themeing assistance!

The best is yet to come!

Those having issues with MARKET DOWNLOADS and/or /cache mounting errors in CWM Recovery, please see the following posts:

http://www.teamovercome.net/?p=1220

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15631194&postcount=5026
    ROM AND KERNEL CHANGE LOG
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=171

Overcome v3.0.0-ICARUS
    • Overcome Kernel v3.2.0 Included
    • BGJP4 Base Rom
    • Enabled Stagefright on HTTP and RTSP (eliminates lag in streaming h264 video and “not optimized for mobile” message on flash video)
    • Superuser/maps/voice search all updated

Overcome Kernel v3.2.0
    • Overcome CwM Updated to v4.0.0.5 (upstream fixes from Cyanogen tree merged)
    • OC/UV-capable up to 1.6ghz
    • Patched sources up to 2.6.35.13 (spoofed version to 2.6.35.7 to maintain compat.)
    • Adjusted LCD/RAM Undervolting to work properly (thanks to Koxudaxi)
    • Fixed 32GB Tab compatibility issues (disappearing CWM, no conversion, etc.)
    So here we go folks - GINGERBREAD is upon us!!

Major thanks to Chainfire for his hard work on the CF-Root kernel and of course for providing us the GB code in the first place!

Install requires a restock unless your already on Gingerbread and CF-Root, the guide will walk you through this.

Why Beta1 tag? Simple...it's not done. Gingerbread is SO good I wanted to get it out into your hands as soon as possible. I performed some basic modifications and got a couple additional features functioning (screen off animation? AMAZING on 7" screen!). More features will be coming very very soon! Stay tuned for Beta 2!

PS
    A GB Overcome Kernel will be coming in the future, but until we have a source there isn't much I can do in that regard. For now, Overcome releases will use the CF-Root kernel. It provides all the functionality we can hope for at the moment.
    Battery Life...

OK guys, here's my take on the battery life, as it's my first full charge cycle after a battery wipe. Post restock (after the initial testing session last night with alterbridge and restored my set of 306 apps via Titanium) I charged it completely, wiped the battery stats and took it off the hook at approximately 11am today.

After literally a non-stop day of using the tab, basically, using it endlessly, browsing, "XDA-ing", staying in touch with mkhattab on Overcome (and personal issues... ;-)) I've been emailing (approximately 75 mails sent out, 206 mails in over two Gmail accounts set to push...), my wife played about 30 mins of Angry Birds, 12 phone calls lasting an approx 50minutes worth of on call time, and about 45 texts sent out, and 65 texts coming in. Installed, tested and played around with another 4-8 apps, to investigate another member's issues... all in all, my tab's hasn't had the chance to sit idle for very much today... All this while, data has been on, approximately 50% of the time (that's about 4.5hours) on wifi and 50% of the time on 3G...

It's 8pm now... and I've got 15% left on my battery counter... That means in slightly over 9 hours, I've used up 85% of my battery with the new ROM. I'm sure if I pushed it all the way to a flat battery, I'd be beating the mythical iPad's rated 10 hours runtime (the supposedly gold standard of battery life!) And this is on the first charge cycle post battery-wipe! All this while enjoying the sillky smoothness of the Gingerbread base... I'm sure, with a couple more charge cycles, the battery-life would be slightly better! Again, this is 8hours+ of full actual usage... with about 45mins of actual downtime only for a late lunch! ;-)

This is my report on the battery life... as I can sincerely believe, being one of the first ones to install both the stock and the Overcome ROM, and giving them a proper shakedown... I really believe we have a winner here in terms of battery life! Hey... think about it... a little over 85% in 8 hours-plus of usage, we've already beaten the original rated time that Samsung advertises...

Not bad eh? Contrary to some whiners over here spreading F.U.D... Here's the graph from my Tab! As they say, proof of the pudding is in the eating...

attachment.php