[7.July.2011][ROM][GSM][2.3.3] ◄► Overcome ROM v3.0.0-ICARUS ◄► Kernel v3.2.0 ◄►

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Bulut.O

Apr 15, 2010
Frankfurt
amen to that. It seems that the inflated sense of entitlement has no cultural or geographical bounds. Everyday I'm at a loss to understand why people think they deserve so much and generally those are the least deserving. Anyway I digress /rant over.

Maybee you are all right but the users are right too...

1. AB still couldnt find a way to make our tab a little bigger
2. He still couldnt find a way to make it DualCore
3. He still couldnt find a way for AutoPilot when connected to my car via blutooth
4. He could make the tab a little lighter
5. I have to carry it everywhere, why can my tab not just follow me wherever i go.
6. And as i said earlyer, he is charging way to much for that roms. I am working night shifts just to afford ABs roms.

WTF... If you dont like it dont use it... Thats the only TAB Toppic that is supported that much... We have our own homepage for questions that people dont want to ask here...
We use 3 different servers (including mine) to have the best download speeds... AB is one of the best kernel and rom devs i know... And i know a lot... Updates are public after every small change... Remember you STOCK DAYS... If something is not working as it should YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG. If not YOU WILL GET EVERY ADVICE HERE...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

thepittbull

May 27, 2010
Selayang
So let's see...

On the 9th July 2011, 04:05 AM, you posted:

When shall we expect the new release? ;)
I want to overclock and for this reason will stay away from icarus :(
Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Three hours later, on the 9th July 2011, 07:43 AM, you posted:

Maybe just an updated kernel version with changed voltage settings? That would be way enough for me and shiuld take only a few minutes to compile ;)

and TODAY, at 10:18AM, you posted:

Before getting the next Overcome ROM with all the new bells & whistle could we just have a fixed kernel where the Volt table is back to normal? Should take a few minutes to compile... and would be a huuuge step forward for people who like overclocking (It is for the moment the only reason why I stay away from Icarus and stuck with my Hermes)

And this is a suggestion??? Looking at your chain of posts here on the Overcome thread, you've been nothing but impatient.... you want me to quote some more?

I thought my post was rather polite... While yours sounds like you ate something heavy weighting on your stomach... Honestly read your post again... I was quite surprised by your answer given how dedicated you have been to produce your excellent guide and contribute to this thread and work
Thre points on my side:

1. I am not asking for a kernel for ME alone. I am not even ASKING. I was SUGGESTING (read the post). Numerous people here are stuck without being able to overclock much because the kernel was released with too aggressive UV settings... I was just mentioning that changing the UV table is probably a very quick process and this could have been an easy quick fix (without touching anything else)
2. Yes my Tab is not broken, right. I can even revert to the stock Gingerbread. But that's not the point
3. I could have been aggressive by mentioning that yes Icarus was a long wait (Fair enough it's thee free work of a group of enthousiastic people doing this on their free time and I feel lucky you guys are working hard on it, especially given there are not that many devs for the Tab). An especially long wait given the "marketing" buzz you guys had been using ("BIG surprise coming", etc, etc...) and that for the wait and all the marketing around the long "testing process" going on by numerous members of the team (etc, etc) the result looks a bit buggy so far
But I definitely didn't say that...

So it took us slightly more than three weeks to get from Hermes (14th June) to Icarus (7th July). That's a loooong wait? Again, it's this the same "Gimme, gimme, gimme" mentality" that I'm ranting about. If you look at the bloody changelog on TOE, you'll see that the next release IS primarily about the kernel. There's a famous saying amongst developers, which is, IT'S READY WHEN IT'S READY! Deal with it.

Yes, your tone is polite, but to people working hard at the back, trying to get things served up, the "could we just have a..." and "Should take a few minutes to compile..." cat calls again, isn't really the most productive thing to do! We're rushing things out and you NOW want to insinuate things? Three bloody weeks between the last release AND you're complaining??? Did I miss something, or did you sign our last paychecks, that you can now order... oh, sorry, suggest....

"An especially long wait given the "marketing" buzz you guys had been using ("BIG surprise coming", etc, etc...) and that for the wait and all the marketing around the long "testing process" going on by numerous members of the team (etc, etc) the result looks a bit buggy so far
"

This is what I mean again, three weeks is an exceptionally long wait for? You? Again, please stop being coy and man up, if you want to insinuate, grow a pair and say it out loud! At least stand by your conviction and call the ROM a crappy POS if that's opinion, at least that'll carry some weight with me. But to chicken out with a ..."but I definitely didn't say that..." pieace of crap is definitely a cowards way out after your mini-rant about our so called "marketing"!

So, you got our marketing from one simple line in the changelog page and hype yourself into a rabid drooling stage, and you're blaming us for being disappointed after a 3 weeks wait, just because you can't overclock as much as you like to?

And you ask me to re-read MY post?

Grow up, will you? And learn to have a bit of patience.

Glougloumouth

Mar 31, 2008
I got a Galaxy Tab about 2 weeks ago. I am quite new to Android and the Tab, but I want to really really thank the Overcome Team for their magnificent work. I managed to unlock my Tab through some Google search in XDA, then wanted to upgrade it to Gingerbread and after a couple of failed attempt (how come it no longer boots? :-( ), found the Overcome ROM.

The install guide is fabulous, clear, easy to follow even for newcomer. The fact that the ROM download also includes the Stock ROM is also a huge bonus, that way I was up to stock Gingerbread with a suitable radio in no time.

Then I made it to Overcome and simply like it.

Again, guys, a huge thanks for your hard work.

Last edited:

scottyf79

May 1, 2011
United Kingdom *****ez.
Development is the key word - so perfection is not going to happen - making it better and improving is realistic.

Not speaking for anyone else but im fairly confident even the critics appreciate what your trying to do as do the folks that are happy with how much better our tabs are. Rushing things is the last thing we want but on the flip side i personally look forward to future releases and all the build up. The fact that you guys dont ask for payment is amazing considering the work you do.

Accepting suggestions and considering feature requests is goibg that extra mile so well done.

Anyway im looking forward to the next lot of changes and as a noob to Android your guides, zip updates etc have made flashing and customising fairly simple and given a better understanding to the system in general.

If ive said to much so be it, tough titty :D

adinis78

Sep 29, 2010
Harrison, NJ
Has anyone managed to fix the accuracy of the battery display? i would have guessed that with all of these releases someone would have been able to get the battery to show 100% charge instead of 99%. Any suggestions?

Sent from HAL 9000

GOF007

May 4, 2007
Has anyone managed to fix the accuracy of the battery display? i would have guessed that with all of these releases someone would have been able to get the battery to show 100% charge instead of 99%. Any suggestions?

Sent from HAL 9000

Accuracy?

The fact is if it is accurate "it is impossible" to have 100% battery after you disconnect your charger.
even 999999/1000000 is not 100%

adinis78

Sep 29, 2010
Harrison, NJ
How come when the tab is off it shows 100% but when its turned in it only shows 99% even if it is charged while the tab is on it only shows 99% there must be sonething that can be done.
Accuracy?

The fact is if it is accurate "it is impossible" to have 100% battery after you disconnect your charger.
even 999999/1000000 is not 100%

Sent from HAL 9000

sri4xda

Nov 25, 2009
chennai
Amazing ROM. First overcome ROM on my tab.

Though I won't use Tab for calls, my wifi is always on and syncing mails. Not a heavy user but I got an amazing 4 days battery life first time with my tab.

shimacin

Apr 12, 2011
Howdy guys!

First and foremost..THANK YOU TEAM OVERCOME!

I'm new here,new to the forum,to the tab,and even to the android world! How new can I be? Call me a noob,I'm fine with it :D honestly I'm still trying hard to understand most of the posts here >.<

Been on overcome from GOLD edition,to HERMES,now on ICARUS..the guide is awesome, easy to understand, straight forward..no wipe from gold to hermes and icarus, but still, I do a prior backup and downloaded all the necessary files just in case the update went wrong..but it never did! Voila! Even IF I got issues, I would just try to read from the forum or toe's website 1st since chances may be that the issue that I'm experiencing is similar to the others,so y repost? ;D

Oc on icarus is a known issue, but I'm happy enough to be able to oc at 1.2ghz. What more can I expect, far way better than stock froyo indeed! :D well maybe some would say that I'm clueless,a total noob,my post are nonsense..tell me that, I don't mind :D this is just to show how happy I am with the rom, just like a kid got a brand new toy to play with..lol

To team overcome,u have done a magnificent piece of art! And I'm thankful for your existance!

Sekian. Terima kasih! ;P THANK YOU!

Sent from my overcome tabby ;)

absolutab

Jan 25, 2011
How come when the tab is off it shows 100% but when its turned in it only shows 99% even if it is charged while the tab is on it only shows 99% there must be sonething that can be done.

Sent from HAL 9000

I used a sticker with 100% wrote on it. Now it's always charged. This fix will work for any charging value.

I'm kidding, of course, but how is this important? Do you need to show your tab to someone and say: "this is so cool, look, it's still at 100%".

Battery life is great with this rom. Don't stress so much.

Sent from my GT-P1000

chevy383surfing

Dec 4, 2009
Dickinson
:confused:Can someone please direct me to information on the continuously rebooting right after I install the overcome kernel? I though it wasn't supposed to reboot for almost an hour now before I actually got into recovery to install the actual ROM.

Thank you,
Paul

jeebspawnshop

Feb 6, 2008
So let's see...

And this is a suggestion??? Looking at your chain of posts here on the Overcome thread, you've been nothing but impatient.... you want me to quote some more?

So it took us slightly more than three weeks to get from Hermes (14th June) to Icarus (7th July). That's a loooong wait? Again, it's this the same "Gimme, gimme, gimme" mentality" that I'm ranting about. If you look at the bloody changelog on TOE, you'll see that the next release IS primarily about the kernel. There's a famous saying amongst developers, which is, IT'S READY WHEN IT'S READY! Deal with it.

Yes, your tone is polite, but to people working hard at the back, trying to get things served up, the "could we just have a..." and "Should take a few minutes to compile..." cat calls again, isn't really the most productive thing to do! We're rushing things out and you NOW want to insinuate things? Three bloody weeks between the last release AND you're complaining??? Did I miss something, or did you sign our last paychecks, that you can now order... oh, sorry, suggest....

"An especially long wait given the "marketing" buzz you guys had been using ("BIG surprise coming", etc, etc...) and that for the wait and all the marketing around the long "testing process" going on by numerous members of the team (etc, etc) the result looks a bit buggy so far
"

This is what I mean again, three weeks is an exceptionally long wait for? You? Again, please stop being coy and man up, if you want to insinuate, grow a pair and say it out loud! At least stand by your conviction and call the ROM a crappy POS if that's opinion, at least that'll carry some weight with me. But to chicken out with a ..."but I definitely didn't say that..." pieace of crap is definitely a cowards way out after your mini-rant about our so called "marketing"!

So, you got our marketing from one simple line in the changelog page and hype yourself into a rabid drooling stage, and you're blaming us for being disappointed after a 3 weeks wait, just because you can't overclock as much as you like to?

I love this guy!

I mashed your Thanks button after reading the first few lines, hehe.

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
So let's see...

"

Look at your tone and look at mine... I think it's not very difficult to assess who needs to grow up (If it's about growing a pair I do probably have a bigger than yours but this is off topic (but you brought it over ;-) ))
Also look at Koxudaxi's thread and yours. Anger and agressivity generates the same in reaction. His much cooler and restrained style has mostly generated the same kind of comments. Some of your aggressive stances have just pushed for aggressive answers... Stop complaining about reactions you have yourself generated (I hope this can help you in real life too...)
And please stop assuming what I may have implied or whatsoever and try to make me say what I haven't... That's unnecessary and once again not constructive
And I maintain my stance about the buzz and the marketing. You generate a lot of expectations (granted some people get also self excited) so you can expect some people to be disappointed (And no, I didnt say I was)

I am really sad to argue with you since I believe the OC team has been doing a great technical job (while unfortunately very few people develop for the tab). But don't spoil it with arrogance

alterbridge86

Retired Recognized Developer
May 27, 2010
Boston
:confused:Can someone please direct me to information on the continuously rebooting right after I install the overcome kernel? I though it wasn't supposed to reboot for almost an hour now before I actually got into recovery to install the actual ROM.

Thank you,
Paul

From the sounds of it you may be suffering from the issue that is currently affecting a small number of tabs with it hanging on the Samsung screen. This is resolved in the next release....which will be coming soon....very soon ;)

Roy_W

Aug 2, 2006
Understanding the process

I am one of those people that have actually read the thread from the beginning and after reading the last couple of pages I think it is time that a moderator steps in and starts to refuse the right to post in the forum to certain people.

This is supposed to be a development forum where people can share knowledge, test information etc. Instead we get "Why doesn't the battery indicator show 100%", " I want option X, I want application Y to work" etc.......

From my point of view, these people have no comprehension whatsoever of the effort required to develop these ROMS or to do any kind of project of any scale, the ignorance is astounding.

I have great respect for the Dev Team and regret not having enough knowledge/time to help out and I feel extremely sorry for them having to waste their time replying to the pitiful "gimme more for nothing" crowd.

Someone has to draw a line somewhere which will help alleviate the unnecessary posts and to allow the Dev Team more time to concentrate on the essential.

If you don't know how to RTFM, then don't start playing with ROMS and leave it to those that do. If you don't want to put in any effort then don't expect any from anyone else.

If you don't like Overcomes ROMs go back to the stock ROM and learn to STFU. None of us want to waste our time reading these kinds of posts , so please guys if you can't offer constructive criticism then just sit back, keep quiet and learn from those that can. In the long run everyone wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [7.July.2011][ROM][GSM][2.3.3] ◄► Overcome ROM v3.0.0-ICARUS ◄► Kernel v3.2.0 ◄►

DISCLAIMER: You know the drill, I am not responsible if loading this rom makes your Tab melt, explode, disintegrate, or cause harm to anyone near it. (I am fairly certain none of that will happen though ;) )

Change log in second post.

ROM FEATURES
    • BGJP4 Base Rom - ANDROID 2.3.3
    • Overcome kernel v3.2.0 included
    • No Modem is included - due to a variety of personal preference I decided to leave that a la carte :)
    • Fully Deodexed
    • Fully Zipaligned
    • Rooted with busybox installed
    • Reboot/Recovery/Download options added to the power menu
    • Accurate battery mod with gingerbread styling
    • Blur removed across system (i.e. behind power option menu) - significantly improves performance
    • Power Off confirmation disabled
    • Screen off animation enabled
    • Overscroll Glow effect enabled
    • Added AppWidgetPicker
    • CSC set to XEU
    • Ads Blocked
    • Updated Market to 2.3.6
    • Updated Maps to 5.7.0
    • Flash Player removed due to compatibility issue - install from market and you'll be all set.
    • Updated GMail to 2.3.4
    • Updated YouTube to 2.1.6
    • Updated SamsungApps to 2.5.039
    • Updated StreetView to 1.6.0.6
    • Updated Thinkfree Office Suite
    • Removed Startup/Shutdown sounds
    • Cool boot animation
    • A2DP Bluetooth Connection Fix Integrated
    • SIP calling enabled over 3g AND WiFi
    • Fugutweaks integrated
    • Browser mods (enabled "Default Zoom" in settings, added "User Agent" in settings, set plugins to "on demand" by default)

KERNEL FEATURES
    • Support RFS/EXT2/EXT3/EXT4
    • OC/UV with these steps: 1.6ghz, 1.5ghz, 1.4ghz, 1.3ghz, 1.2ghz, 1ghz, 800mhz, 600mhz, 400mhz, 200mhz, 100mhz
    • Replaced kernel jhash2 with jhash3
    • Adjusted kernel HZ value to improve smoothness
    • Optimized lowmemorykiller values
    • Optimized compiler flags
    • Voodoo Sound v9 (courtesy of supercurio)
    • Voodoo Lagfix (courtesy of supercurio)
    • Overcome CwM Recovery v4.0.0.5 (Custom built Clockworkmod v4.0.0.5)
    • Full support of internal/external SD cards in Recovery
    • Simple I/O Scheduler added and set as Default
    • Kernel tweaks to VM and Scheduler for better performance
    • Built in CIFS/TUN/SlowWork support
    • Touchscreen Undervolting (courtesy Koxudaxi)
    • RAM Undervolting
    • Stochastic Fair Blue (SFB) Network Scheduler
    • Autogroup Scheduler
    • Asynchronous I/O Enabled (AIO)
    • Backlight Notifications (Thanks to Neldar for the mod and Koxudaxi for the patch)

INSTALL GUIDE
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=64

DOWNLOADS
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=558

TIPS AND TWEAKS
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=68

FAQ's
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=66

SOURCES
    https://github.com/alterbridge86

Thanks!
    sohrab1985 and kay_kiat for themeing assistance!

The best is yet to come!

Those having issues with MARKET DOWNLOADS and/or /cache mounting errors in CWM Recovery, please see the following posts:

http://www.teamovercome.net/?p=1220

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15631194&postcount=5026
    ROM AND KERNEL CHANGE LOG
    http://www.teamovercome.net/?page_id=171

Overcome v3.0.0-ICARUS
    • Overcome Kernel v3.2.0 Included
    • BGJP4 Base Rom
    • Enabled Stagefright on HTTP and RTSP (eliminates lag in streaming h264 video and “not optimized for mobile” message on flash video)
    • Superuser/maps/voice search all updated

Overcome Kernel v3.2.0
    • Overcome CwM Updated to v4.0.0.5 (upstream fixes from Cyanogen tree merged)
    • OC/UV-capable up to 1.6ghz
    • Patched sources up to 2.6.35.13 (spoofed version to 2.6.35.7 to maintain compat.)
    • Adjusted LCD/RAM Undervolting to work properly (thanks to Koxudaxi)
    • Fixed 32GB Tab compatibility issues (disappearing CWM, no conversion, etc.)
    So here we go folks - GINGERBREAD is upon us!!

Major thanks to Chainfire for his hard work on the CF-Root kernel and of course for providing us the GB code in the first place!

Install requires a restock unless your already on Gingerbread and CF-Root, the guide will walk you through this.

Why Beta1 tag? Simple...it's not done. Gingerbread is SO good I wanted to get it out into your hands as soon as possible. I performed some basic modifications and got a couple additional features functioning (screen off animation? AMAZING on 7" screen!). More features will be coming very very soon! Stay tuned for Beta 2!

PS
    A GB Overcome Kernel will be coming in the future, but until we have a source there isn't much I can do in that regard. For now, Overcome releases will use the CF-Root kernel. It provides all the functionality we can hope for at the moment.
    Battery Life...

OK guys, here's my take on the battery life, as it's my first full charge cycle after a battery wipe. Post restock (after the initial testing session last night with alterbridge and restored my set of 306 apps via Titanium) I charged it completely, wiped the battery stats and took it off the hook at approximately 11am today.

After literally a non-stop day of using the tab, basically, using it endlessly, browsing, "XDA-ing", staying in touch with mkhattab on Overcome (and personal issues... ;-)) I've been emailing (approximately 75 mails sent out, 206 mails in over two Gmail accounts set to push...), my wife played about 30 mins of Angry Birds, 12 phone calls lasting an approx 50minutes worth of on call time, and about 45 texts sent out, and 65 texts coming in. Installed, tested and played around with another 4-8 apps, to investigate another member's issues... all in all, my tab's hasn't had the chance to sit idle for very much today... All this while, data has been on, approximately 50% of the time (that's about 4.5hours) on wifi and 50% of the time on 3G...

It's 8pm now... and I've got 15% left on my battery counter... That means in slightly over 9 hours, I've used up 85% of my battery with the new ROM. I'm sure if I pushed it all the way to a flat battery, I'd be beating the mythical iPad's rated 10 hours runtime (the supposedly gold standard of battery life!) And this is on the first charge cycle post battery-wipe! All this while enjoying the sillky smoothness of the Gingerbread base... I'm sure, with a couple more charge cycles, the battery-life would be slightly better! Again, this is 8hours+ of full actual usage... with about 45mins of actual downtime only for a late lunch! ;-)

This is my report on the battery life... as I can sincerely believe, being one of the first ones to install both the stock and the Overcome ROM, and giving them a proper shakedown... I really believe we have a winner here in terms of battery life! Hey... think about it... a little over 85% in 8 hours-plus of usage, we've already beaten the original rated time that Samsung advertises...

Not bad eh? Contrary to some whiners over here spreading F.U.D... Here's the graph from my Tab! As they say, proof of the pudding is in the eating...

attachment.php