[7.x.x][WEEKLIES] CarbonROM | cr-5.1 [bacon]

Search This thread

darjwx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2014
Madrid
I think u should stop working on camera. As most people will flash zip of other camera they think will work better. Because when I flashed CarbonRom the camera app bundled with it didn't work well and I ended up flashing OP5 camera apk port.

I guess you missunderstood me :p. I'm trying to fix a problem the camera has in every cam app. It's not camera dependant, it's in the source.

borzowsky

Feb 14, 2013
Milano
what camera app is that in the last screenshot you posted on oreo?
looks really good, keep up the good work I'm waiting for who comes first between you, resurrectionremix and lineageos for giving Oreo a definitive GO! :)

hardya

Dec 1, 2015
Questions about Carbon ROM

I realize the makers of the ROM say they may not have time to answer questions but maybe others have discovered answers:

- Why do I have no task list. Some activities I do regularly which require you to dot between apps you are working with are around ten times slower if I have to navigate between 4 different apps/config screens by re navigating to them every time.
- Why do I have no app killer. I have read that this is unnecessary now a days, but a number of the banking apps I use often crash or hang and will not open from start again until (in my last android version) you kill them. These apps do not appear in the list of the popular Third Party App Killers. I am faced with reboot or an up to 8 touch (or scroll touch) navigation (with no task list) to get from home to the right place in settings\apps\force stop.
- Why does the Carbon upgrade app / config (I forget its name) require access to all files and photos? Like your SD card. I don't think this was necessary when I first flashed the ROM was it?
- why does the carbon upgrade app / config always fail download error?
- Why does the pre-installed camera always come up black. Incidentally I installed another camera for OnePlus One which seems to work OK.

Any other general advice regarding getting the best out of this ROM or suggestions for similar ROMS which may address some of these issues.

I got my OnePlus from a Chineese retailer pre-rooted with all kinds of add/mal ware on it and (as a newbie) its been (for me) a long road to get to this point so I would very much appreciate some help.

Sorry to be a trouble. New to this. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy2290

darjwx

Nov 17, 2014
Madrid
what camera app is that in the last screenshot you posted on oreo?
looks really good, keep up the good work I'm waiting for who comes first between you, resurrectionremix and lineageos for giving Oreo a definitive GO! :)

Footej. Available in the play store. It is not the default camera. I used it to verify if the camera was working as the default one was crashing.

darjwx

Nov 17, 2014
Madrid
I realize the makers of the ROM say they may not have time to answer questions but maybe others have discovered answers:

- Why do I have no task list. Some activities I do regularly which require you to dot between apps you are working with are around ten times slower if I have to navigate between 4 different apps/config screens by re navigating to them every time.
- Why do I have no app killer. I have read that this is unnecessary now a days, but a number of the banking apps I use often crash or hang and will not open from start again until (in my last android version) you kill them. These apps do not appear in the list of the popular Third Party App Killers. I am faced with reboot or an up to 8 touch (or scroll touch) navigation (with no task list) to get from home to the right place in settings\apps\force stop.
- Why does the Carbon upgrade app / config (I forget its name) require access to all files and photos? Like your SD card. I don't think this was necessary when I first flashed the ROM was it?
- why does the carbon upgrade app / config always fail download error?
- Why does the pre-installed camera always come up black. Incidentally I installed another camera for OnePlus One which seems to work OK.

Any other general advice regarding getting the best out of this ROM or suggestions for similar ROMS which may address some of these issues.

I got my OnePlus from a Chineese retailer pre-rooted with all kinds of add/mal ware on it and (as a newbie) its been (for me) a long road to get to this point so I would very much appreciate some help.

Sorry to be a trouble. New to this. Thank you.

- What do you mean with task lists?
- Removing the app from recents should kind of make a similar effect. I do not think we will add an app killer.
- It requires access to files to flash the zip you have downloaded and (because it support delta updates) to patch the existing zip.
- The updater is disabled for now. We will not probably release another N update, and O is not official yet.
- That should not happen at all. Camera is working for me in N perfectly, and noone reported something like that.

hardya

Dec 1, 2015
Thank you darjwx for your earlier response to hardya. I do appreciate it.

I apologise, I do not have all the right knowledge or vocabulary yet.

I have no user log so from memory here are the actions I took to install carbonrom.

- using fastboot installed twrp.
- copied over carbonrom (as linked to in your top post) to sd
- copied over the gapps your dynamic gapps link links to (though the page you link to doesn't seem to include the word dynamic after that)
- booted to twrp
- did factory wipe (cache & data?)
- flash install ROM (it offered to do an action which it said would root the phone, there were 2 actions it offered I think. I said yes to both.)
- flash install gapps
- boot to os

I've solved the failure to display recents from the hardware key. I had no idea that the hardware keys could be user mapped and that recents would be unmapped by default. I have mapped it now.

The camera problem remains. Is there a good way to investigate this further?

I have two more problems:

- trwp was definitely working. Since completing the rom and gapps flash if I try to boot to recovery (trwp) either from the os restart option or from power off and using power and volume down, it boots to first OnePlus logo and hangs permanently.

- when I try to install certain apps that require the phone NOT to be rooted, when I open them they say I cannot run them because the phone IS rooted. However, if I visit SURoot from settings it says the phone is NOT rooted and leads me to visit a web page and to login to a community to get the resolution. To login to the community you have to register and the registration page user name field says "username too long" for any user name 1 character or more! And won't let you register.

Any advice on the possible cause and solution to these two issues would be very much appreciated.

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    - flash install ROM (it offered to do an action which it said would root the phone, there were 2 actions it offered I think. I said yes to both.)
    - flash install gapps
    - boot to os
    - when I try to install certain apps that require the phone NOT to be rooted, when I open them they say I cannot run them because the phone IS rooted. However, if I visit SURoot from settings it says the phone is NOT rooted and leads me to visit a web page and to login to a community to get the resolution. To login to the community you have to register and the registration page user name field says "username too long" for any user name 1 character or more! And won't let you register.
    What TWRP version?
    You're not supposed to select yes when TWRP is trying to salvage your root. Rather, you should just flash Magisk to obtain root. Oddly enough, this will also solve your problem with apps needing the phone NOT to be rooted. You just have to add those to Magisk hide in the Magisk Manager app (comes with the Magisk flash).

hardya

Dec 1, 2015
    Afaik I installed latest twrp. 3 days ago.

Timmmmaaahh can we be sure that

"it offered to do an action which it said would root the phone, there were 2 actions it offered I think. I said yes to both."

Is the same thing as

"TWRP is trying to salvage your root". ?

Does it matter.

How confident can I be that after my (not supposed to) actions I am still in suitable state to flash magisk now? I've never heard of it, does it have credentials?

How do I do this now without any recovery software. Where did it go?

Any thoughts on the camera issue?

Many thanks indeed that you took out of your own time to respond. I appreciate it.

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
    Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    Afaik I installed latest twrp. 3 days ago.
    Timmmmaaahh can we be sure that
    "it offered to do an action which it said would root the phone, there were 2 actions it offered I think. I said yes to both."
    Is the same thing as
    "TWRP is trying to salvage your root". ?
    Does it matter.
    How confident can I be that after my (not supposed to) actions I am still in suitable state to flash magisk now? I've never heard of it, does it have credentials?
    How do I do this now without any recovery software. Where did it go?
    Any thoughts on the camera issue?
    Many thanks indeed that you took out of your own time to respond. I appreciate it.

Yes, you can be sure it's the same thing. I believe only official releases of TWRP actually pose these questions. They are meaningless in my experience but it's been a very long time since I've seen them. I've been using this unofficial TWRP, which exceeds official's functionality.

If you've never heard of Magisk you still have some reading to do. Please just follow the link I've provided you with in my previous post (click the highlighted "Magisk"). The main page can be found on https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk, a part of this community entirely dedicated to Magisk. I suggest investing a couple of hours into learning what it is exactly (reading topjohnwu's updates is a good start).

If your TWRP recovery is lost, simply flash it again via Fastboot.

As for the camera, looks like @darjwx is already on top of it so you're in good hands. Just be patient :)

darjwx

Nov 17, 2014
    Madrid
    Thank you darjwx for your earlier response to hardya. I do appreciate it.

I apologise, I do not have all the right knowledge or vocabulary yet.

I have no user log so from memory here are the actions I took to install carbonrom.

- using fastboot installed twrp.
    - copied over carbonrom (as linked to in your top post) to sd
    - copied over the gapps your dynamic gapps link links to (though the page you link to doesn't seem to include the word dynamic after that)
    - booted to twrp
    - did factory wipe (cache & data?)
    - flash install gapps
    - boot to os

I've solved the failure to display recents from the hardware key. I had no idea that the hardware keys could be user mapped and that recents would be unmapped by default. I have mapped it now.

The camera problem remains. Is there a good way to investigate this further?

I have two more problems:

- trwp was definitely working. Since completing the rom and gapps flash if I try to boot to recovery (trwp) either from the os restart option or from power off and using power and volume down, it boots to first OnePlus logo and hangs permanently.

Any advice on the possible cause and solution to these two issues would be very much appreciated.

Seems that you just wiped cache and data. You have to wipe also system and art cache.

hardya

Dec 1, 2015
    @Timmmmaaahh , thanks for the info re magisk, really appreciate it, I shall try to make time.

Could magisk possibly also address the fact that play says my oneplus One "hardware!" no longer supports Netflix app since this OS ROM flash, when it did before.

I'm a bit confused about you seeming to saying that @darjwx was fixing the camera app, I'm using N and I thought the @darjwx had said it was working fine for him in N and ought to be for new, just O he is working on. I wonder why it's failing for me in N.

Sorry for duplicate posting first off. Some kind of lag in the client (or impatience in the human one ?) I think.

Last edited:

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
    Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    @Timmmmaaahh , thanks for the info re magisk, really appreciate it, I shall try to make time.

Could magisk possibly also address the fact that play says my oneplus One "hardware!" no longer supports Netflix app since this OS ROM flash, when it did before.
    Oops, you've posted a few times there. Just edit your post and clean it up a bit ;)
    Netflix works with two properties: effectively hiding root (or not rooting at all) and Widevine DRM needs to be on board. You can check whether the ROM you're using supports the latter with DRM info. Is it supported? Then get the Netflix apk (if it can't be found on Play) from Apkmirror or so and add it to the Magisk Hide list.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180325-005935.png
      Screenshot_20180325-005935.png
      58.7 KB · Views: 269

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FyNrqrPx.png

Who's back? We're back.

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub and at CarbonROM Gerrit

Disclaimer:
      While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Support:
      We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
      2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
      3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
      4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

We only support Dynamic GApps, reports on force closes with any other packages will be ignored.

Downloads:
      Personal/Test Builds
      Official Builds
      Dynamic Gapps
      CarbonROM's GitHub
      CarbonROM Gerrit
      Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
      CarbonRom for the OnePlus One, ROM for the OnePlus One

Contributors
      darjwx, CarbonROM
      Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
      ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
      Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2017-04-08
      Last Updated 2017-05-30
      No ETAs as you know :p
      It is still so WIP. From what I know so far, wifi, camera and bluetooth are broken. Selinux is permissive.
      Probably other things too, I have not tested data yet.

Here are the cookies I promised :p :

Screenshot_19711004-042936.png
      Screenshot_19711004-042922.png
      Screenshot_19711004-041920.png
      Screenshot_19711004-041839.png
      New weeklies out
      Android 7.1.2_r24

Just some info, I was testing some values based off @Setting.Out script. If all goes well, they will be on the next weekly.

This weekly brings some important changes device side such as the updated adreno blobs.
      And also a lot of improvements for Quarks.
      Enjoy.

Changelog

Device side:
      - Los updates
      - Adreno blobs updated to LA.BF.1.1.3_rb1.12
      - Revert a cve fix meant for later kernel versions

Rom side:
      - 7.1.2_r24. July security patch
      - Do not ship Updater app for now (CarbonDelta in works)
      - Optional fine tuned optimizations
      - Optimized memcmp
      - Updates for sensitive numbers feature

Misc:
      - Quarks: upstream fixes and additions.
      Inline with los.
      Launcher shortcuts for incognito, new tab and favorites.
      Suggestions support

Carbonrom web

As always, check gerrit or github for a whole in depth changelog.

If you are missing something themed on Carbon and you are contacting the themer, please let him know of this repo to make his work easier.
      ThemeResources
      (Do not hesitate to contact me if you see something wrong on that repo)

Dario
      New weeklies out
      Short changelog this week. Mostly optimizations and misc fixes.
      Enjoy.

Changelog

Device side:
      - Los kernel updates

Rom side:
      - system/extras: Fix kernel panic when boot up
      - Move to lineage email app (same aosp app you used to have but with improvements and fixes)
      - Settings: Fix phone process crash in SIM Status.
      - Improvements and optimizations from motorola to libcore, system-core and libjpeg-turbo.
      - libqc-skia added (skia optimizations).

Carbonrom web

As always, check gerrit or github for a whole in depth changelog.

If you are missing something themed on Carbon and you are contacting the themer, please let him know of this repo to make his work easier.
      ThemeResources
      (Do not hesitate to contact me if you see something wrong on that repo)

Dario
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone