[7.x.x][WEEKLIES] CarbonROM | cr-5.1 [marlin]

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de

Who's back? We're back.

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub... and at CarbonROM Gerrit.

Disclaimer:
While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Support:
We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Downloads:
Get CarbonROM
GitHub
Gerrit
Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
CarbonROM, ROM for the Google Pixel XL

Contributors
Myself5, CarbonROM
Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2017-01-08
Last Updated 2018-03-17

BakedTator

Jan 8, 2011
I have e to ask...What all pixel exclusive feature are in carbon now? I used to use carbon back on my sgs3 an missed it in your absence

TechBSwift

Jul 14, 2010
I haven't tried this rom yet, but thank you so much!!! We had 3 roms drop in less than 24 hours so it will take me a day or two to test.

matteosaeed

Oct 3, 2012
NY
I just get "No SIM-Card". Did somebody else tried this ROM?
Hi Nice,

I have been getting that on different roms after flashing, I usually reboot to recovery again, factory reset quickly in twrp, and then reflash the rom, flash twrp again, then from twrp reboot to recovery again, then once you're back in recovery reboot to the system or rom. Hope this helps.

Reactions: sulpher

skulldreamz

Mar 13, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I had no clue carbon was about to drop for the pixel xl. This has always been my favorite rom ever. Appreciate the CARBON MARLIN LOVE!

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Where are the download instructions? FAQ section on carbon website is not working. Thanks
Download instructions??? Tap "Get CarbonRom" and download for your device. But honestly if you need instructions on how to download a ROM, I would hold off on trying to learn to flash a ROM

Reactions: dablitzkrieg

dablitzkrieg

Mar 27, 2011
I had no clue carbon was about to drop for the pixel xl. This has always been my favorite rom ever. Appreciate the CARBON MARLIN LOVE!

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Download instructions??? Tap "Get CarbonRom" and download for your device. But honestly if you need instructions on how to download a ROM, I would hold off on trying to learn to flash a ROM
Lol, I meant installation instructions

humdrum2009

Oct 3, 2010
Flashed carbon one of my favorites of all time.
But problems ensued after.
no radio,no clear instructions for gapps.
replaced twrp with carbon recovery in very small font,too small for me to see,no signal etc.
but its a work in progress thanks,will flash again when it gets a little more stable
Restoring from factory image now latest google stock then ill retry.
And before anyone goes on a rant,yes this ROM is free i realize that just saving you some trouble.
Right now its not fully functional in my case ymmv.

Last edited:

Jan 4, 2013
Carbon Marlin........ One of my regular dual boots on S3 :) Great to see support for this device from you guys!
I'm very much looking forward to trying this when I can!

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
I haven't tried this rom yet, but thank you so much!!! We had 3 roms drop in less than 24 hours so it will take me a day or two to test.
That almost screams for the need for MultiROM, huh?

Flashed carbon one of my favorites of all time.
But problems ensued after.
no radio,no clear instructions for gapps.
replaced twrp with carbon recovery in very small font,too small for me to see,no signal etc.
but its a work in progress thanks,will flash again when it gets a little more stable
Restoring from factory image now latest google stock then ill retry.
And before anyone goes on a rant,yes this ROM is free i realize that just saving you some trouble.
Right now its not fully functional in my case ymmv.
Ok, lets see.
I experienced some trouble with the vendor blobs I was using in the past, I made a build overnight with different vendorblob setup, maybe you could test it.
It also includes GApps, as these still have trouble on the Pixel devices. We (the Carbon team) don't want to release builds with included GApps for various reasons, so I will release unofficial builds with included GApps until the GApps issues are solved.

The unofficial builds with GApps can be found here:
https://dl.myself5.de/marlin/CarbonROM/

The TWPR thing is caused by the Recovery setup itself. Recovery is built into the Kernel. This means you need to flash the TWRP installer zip again after flashing a ROM.

mikaole

Jan 14, 2012
@Myself5
Dl in progress. Will test it for you shortly

Flashing in progress

Booting. Didn't saw this animation for a long time:)

Flashed like this
Rom and twrp
Reboot to twrp
Flashed vendor V
Reboot system
Reboot recovery
Flashed latest su

Reboot system

All fine.
TB is running

Flashed MVK kernel and all fine

Fantastic release for a comeback

Will leave it on for tomorrow to test normal daily usage. So I could say something about battery and overall feeling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myself5

TheNewNEXUS

Jan 16, 2014
Elkhorn
@Myself5
Dl in progress. Will test it for you shortly

Flashing in progress

Booting. Didn't saw this animation for a long time:)

Flashed like this
Rom and twrp
Reboot to twrp
Flashed vendor V
Reboot system
Reboot recovery
Flashed latest su

Reboot system

All fine.
TB is running

Flashed MVK kernel and all fine

Fantastic release for a comeback

Will leave it on for tomorrow to test normal daily usage. So I could say something about battery and overall feeling.
May I ask what the mvk kernel is?

mikaole

Jan 14, 2012
So one normal day in use and I must say it's damn nice. Battery is fantastic.
All works as it should. Bluetooth, Wlan, mobile etc.
Not one bug comes through my way:) Fantastic job.

Thx again.

Reactions: Myself5

adinkwok

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Deve
May 28, 2013
6ix
adin.dev
Hey guys, I'm one of the core developers of CarbonROM...

...and there is something I would like to address:
I would like to keep our threads clean, and strictly about development and/or related topics. XDA is the place to be helping one another, sharing ideas, bringing each other up in this developer community through contributions. Because of the impulse of certain users, I want to follow a strict policy for postings.

The general idea of what should/should not be posted here is outlined in the XDA forum rules.

MikeChannon said:
Development Forums (ones with the word development in the title) - For Developers to post release threads e.g. ROMs and Kernels including modifications to kernels, bootloaders, ROMs, etc., as well as R&D development discussion threads designed with an end goal
Things like...
I love your rom, running great! But, battery life is not as good as XXX rom, please add XXX into the rom.
...should not be posted here.

Things like...
"I love your rom, but I'm getting memory issues that are not present in XXX rom that affect battery drainage. XXX rom has a the patch on their gerrit that may potentially solve the memory leak. I'll send a push to your gerrit review server so you guys can check it out!"
...are welcomed with open arms (and maybe even kisses, too!)

The only off-topic posts that may happen here may come from a CarbonROM core developer announcing or asking for a certain opinion on XXX feature. Thanks for understanding, this is the way development threads were meant to be in these forums. I invite everyone to stay vigilant to report posts that do not follow the summary by MikeChannon in the XDA rules about what should not be posted. Do not engage users if they don't follow the XDA rules, Forum Moderators exist for the purpose of handling such users ;). Long live the report button!

andreglud

Oct 25, 2013
Kastrup
That almost screams for the need for MultiROM, huh?

Ok, lets see.
I experienced some trouble with the vendor blobs I was using in the past, I made a build overnight with different vendorblob setup, maybe you could test it.
It also includes GApps, as these still have trouble on the Pixel devices. We (the Carbon team) don't want to release builds with included GApps for various reasons, so I will release unofficial builds with included GApps until the GApps issues are solved.

The unofficial builds with GApps can be found here:
https://dl.myself5.de/marlin/CarbonROM/

The TWPR thing is caused by the Recovery setup itself. Recovery is built into the Kernel. This means you need to flash the TWRP installer zip again after flashing a ROM.
I get the error:
Could not find 'META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary' in the zip file.