[7.x.x][WEEKLIES] CarbonROM | cr-5.1 [marlin]

mikaole

Jan 14, 2012
Don't let us ruin this thread please. All is fine. This the Carbon thread. It's a fantastic rom, so let us stay with this.

yourmghq

Oct 29, 2015
Can anyone who uses verizon tell me if you are able to edit or add APNs with this rom. Since the 7.1.1 update I haven't been able to edit APN protocol or APN roaming protocol. Those are the ones I was wondering if could be edited?

daud44

Jun 18, 2010
Austin
precise files for flashing

@Myself5
Dl in progress. Will test it for you shortly

Flashing in progress

Booting. Didn't saw this animation for a long time:)

Flashed like this
Rom and twrp
Reboot to twrp
Flashed vendor V
Reboot system
Reboot recovery
Flashed latest su

Reboot system

All fine.
TB is running

Flashed MVK kernel and all fine

Fantastic release for a comeback

Will leave it on for tomorrow to test normal daily usage. So I could say something about battery and overall feeling.
I just unboxed my pixel xl from the google store and I want to be extra careful before I flash this. I'm going to use
super su 2.79 sr2
twrp 3.0.2 rc1
CARBON-CR-5.1-MOO-M5Edition-marlin-20170108-0412.zip
and
vendor.img from https://developers.google.com/android/images
I extracted the vendor.img from the factory images and not the driver binaries.
I'm choosing the 7.1.1 (NMF26U, Jan 2017) version because that's the build number on my phone after taking the OTA.

I see that you used vendor v. Does that only work in europe? I'm in the USA so can I use th NMF26U vendor.img? Is there anything wrong about any of the files I've chosen?

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
I just unboxed my pixel xl from the google store and I want to be extra careful before I flash this. I'm going to use
super su 2.79 sr2
twrp 3.0.2 rc1
and
vendor.img from https://developers.google.com/android/images
I extracted the vendor.img from the factory images and not the driver binaries.
I'm choosing the 7.1.1 (NMF26U, Jan 2017) version because that's the build number on my phone after taking the OTA.

I see that you used vendor v. Does that only work in europe? I'm in the USA so can I use th NMF26U vendor.img? Is there anything wrong about any of the files I've chosen?
You could basically use whatever vendor image you want, it will just complain about the vendor image being outdated.
However, NMF26V should be fine on the US devices too (I know that invisiblek for example is using NMF26V too). NMF26V is the newest judging by security fixes. I'd suggest to flash the NMF26V vendor image and see how its doing. If for some reason it doesn't work, just flash the U image ;)

Everything else you described is fine.

nikitis

Jun 23, 2010
I couldn't find a feature list. Can someone confirm that Miracast works with this rom ? I'd like to know before flashing as that is a deal breaker for me. Thanks

aholeinthewor1d

Aug 19, 2010
Both unofficial and official one work.

BTW, GApps installation will be fixed in the next official weekly, so no more unofficial builds :)
Nice! Were you able to figure out the gaaps issue or was it kind of a joint effort type thing with multiple devs. The reason I am asking is I am just curious if all devs on here are aware so that they can release new builds without gaaps and then include proper flashing instructions. I know if was already possible to flash them separately but that it was just a very involved process that had to be done in a very specific order.

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Nice! Were you able to figure out the gaaps issue or was it kind of a joint effort type thing with multiple devs. The reason I am asking is I am just curious if all devs on here are aware so that they can release new builds without gaaps and then include proper flashing instructions. I know if was already possible to flash them separately but that it was just a very involved process that had to be done in a very specific order.
It was more of the kind: "wait, why do your gapps work, invisiblek?" and him and Dees_Troy telling me that its a verify thing that is actually removing the installed GApps upon the first boot, followed by them pointing me into the right commit: https://github.com/CarbonROM/androi...mmit/6620c0c51d410721af8bad792581fd6663bca72a :)

So yeah, I guess everyone in the community is aware of it already and it was me being last once again :D

southernstyle

Jan 19, 2008
I read through the posts but didn't see any mention of it, doors OK Google work on this ROM with screen off? Like the trusted voice feature I think is what it's called. I know this was a broken feature among the AOSP builds, just wanted to check. Thanks for your development work!

daud44

Jun 18, 2010
Austin
I'm getting a message "android open keyboard has stopped"
The message occurs when i try to swipe type. Hunting and pecking doesn't cause an error.
I'm on
super su 2.79 sr2
twrp 3.0.2 rc1
and
vendor.img 26U
elemental kernal 1.03
overclocked all the way up.

everything else seems to work.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I had some issues installing because I think TWRP changes the boot slot after being flashed. After checking to be sure I was flashing all of the files while on the same boot slot it worked. Maybe we could put into the instructions when a good time to check that you're still on the same boot slot. Also how much, when, and if to wipe. Are there special wiping instructions for using a kernel? Thanks for the help so far!

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
New Weeklies are up already, check https://basketbuild.com/devs/CarbonROM/. The verity fix is included in there too. (https://github.com/CarbonROM/androi...mmit/6620c0c51d410721af8bad792581fd6663bca72a)

What you need to take care of though is this:
The ROM flashes to the opposite slot, as discussed before. The only GApps that work with the Pixel ATM ( @BeansTown106s Dynamic GApps ) however flash to the currently ACTIVE slot.

This means, in a scenario where you are on Slot A ATM: Carbon Flashes to SLOT B. When you reboot after flashing the ROM will boot to slot B and is booting Carbon. HOWEVER. The GApps flash to your currently active slot. This means, when you are currently on slot A and flash the GApps, they will be flashed to slot A (keep in mind, your ROM is flashed to slot B). Hence you won't have GApps on the ROM when booting. The simple solution (until the GApps zip is fixed) is:

1) Flash Carbon
2) Flash the twrp.zip
3) Reboot -> Recovery
4) Flash GApps (cause now you are on the proper slot)
5) Reboot to ROM, enjoy GApps.
6 (optional)) Reboot to Recovery again and flash whatever you desire, like SuperSU.

This counts for every ROM btw, as thats the default behaviour of the new payload A/B flashing system for the Pixels. @BeansTown106 based on that the commit message in the commit you linked doesn't look right :silly:

The get.carbon page ATM needs to get manually updated, we'll take care of that later.
Server infrastructure is still a WIP as some might see, but I hope you'll bear with us, as things are progressing every day. Just mainly on the unseen end ATM (like CAF Support is about to be done ).

Regards

Last edited: