[7.x.x][WEEKLIES] CarbonROM | cr-5.1 [marlin]

mikaole

Jan 14, 2012
I would flash the right vendor just before gapps.,after reboot to recovery.
Thx for the update

Will try it out as soon as the slow dl is finished. So maybe in an hour.

Not working as it should. Google playservice has stopped all the time.
Data reset of playservice didn't do the trick. Same with beans mini and full.

Last edited:

Nemo Aeternamn

Jul 25, 2011
Mo-ab
I would flash the right vendor just before gapps.,after reboot to recovery.
Thx for the update

Will try it out as soon as the slow dl is finished. So maybe in an hour.

Not working as it should. Google playservice has stopped all the time.
Data reset of playservice didn't do the trick. Same with beans mini and full.
Same issue here. I'll be doing some more digging tonight

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

chazall1

Jun 11, 2010
I was reading in the Pixel forums about the Carbon Rom. Read:

What you need to take care of though is this:
The ROM flashes to the opposite slot, as discussed before. The only GApps that work with the Pixel ATM ( @BeansTown106s Dynamic GApps ) however flash to the currently ACTIVE slot.

This means, in a scenario where you are on Slot A ATM: Carbon Flashes to SLOT B. When you reboot after flashing the ROM will boot to slot B and is booting Carbon. HOWEVER. The GApps flash to your currently*active*slot. This means, when you are currently on slot A and flash the GApps, they will be flashed to slot A (keep in mind, your ROM is flashed to slot B). Hence you won't have GApps on the ROM when booting. The simple solution (until the GApps zip is fixed) is:

1) Flash Carbon
2) Flash the twrp.zip
3) Reboot -> Recovery
4) Flash GApps (cause now you are on the proper slot)
5) Reboot to ROM, enjoy GApps.
6 (optional)) Reboot to Recovery again and flash whatever you desire, like SuperSU.

This counts for every ROM btw, as thats the default behaviour of the new payload A/B flashing system for the Pixels. @BeansTown106*based on that the commit message in the commit you linked doesn't look right
Fool proof guide for those still confused on process. Everything up and running perfectly well.*

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Some of the issues on the pixel forum was with Google playservice as well. Lets let them get it figured out.

Reactions: xocomaox

Virus1x

Oct 11, 2009
Scottsdale, Arizona
I was reading in the Pixel forums about the Carbon Rom. Read:

What you need to take care of though is this:
The ROM flashes to the opposite slot, as discussed before. The only GApps that work with the Pixel ATM ( @BeansTown106s Dynamic GApps ) however flash to the currently ACTIVE slot.

This means, in a scenario where you are on Slot A ATM: Carbon Flashes to SLOT B. When you reboot after flashing the ROM will boot to slot B and is booting Carbon. HOWEVER. The GApps flash to your currently*active*slot. This means, when you are currently on slot A and flash the GApps, they will be flashed to slot A (keep in mind, your ROM is flashed to slot B). Hence you won't have GApps on the ROM when booting. The simple solution (until the GApps zip is fixed) is:

1) Flash Carbon
2) Flash the twrp.zip
3) Reboot -> Recovery
4) Flash GApps (cause now you are on the proper slot)
5) Reboot to ROM, enjoy GApps.
6 (optional)) Reboot to Recovery again and flash whatever you desire, like SuperSU.

This counts for every ROM btw, as thats the default behaviour of the new payload A/B flashing system for the Pixels. @BeansTown106*based on that the commit message in the commit you linked doesn't look right
Fool proof guide for those still confused on process. Everything up and running perfectly well.*

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Some of the issues on the pixel forum was with Google playservice as well. Lets let them get it figured out.
What gapps? Everytime I try I have no gapps. When using vendor image.

Last edited:

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Howdy there folks, my searches have come up blank for this particular question so I've got to ask; does this kernel force encryption like stock does?
Thats a phone hardware feature (afaik even a requirement for Safetynet). dm-verity is disabled meaning you can flash GApps without problems and veritybootstate is forced to "green" which hides the fact that the bootloader is unlocked from Safetynet.

Why would you want to disable the forced encryption though?

Reactions: Doughnut643

Doughnut643

Aug 17, 2010
close to that place, you know?
Thats a phone hardware feature (afaik even a requirement for Safetynet). dm-verity is disabled meaning you can flash GApps without problems and veritybootstate is forced to "green" which hides the fact that the bootloader is unlocked from Safetynet.

Why would you want to disable the forced encryption though?
To go back and forth through carbon ROM versions and stock for example without needing to wipe the user data partitions completely each and every time.

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
To go back and forth through carbon ROM versions and stock for example without needing to wipe the user data partitions completely each and every time.
Never needed to wipe my userdata. The encryption key survives a clean flash... You can even wipe /data and the key is kept as thats stored somewhere else. The only situation when userdata will be wiped is when unlocking the bootloader.

Nemo Aeternamn

Jul 25, 2011
Mo-ab
Issue here. I cleanly flashed 1/15 and last night I went to update to 1/23.dirty flashed it and I've had nothing but issues all over the place .having to reinstall apps to get them to work and my contacts broke and won't sync back. Any one else updated seeing this? When I flashed I verified the md5

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Issue here. I cleanly flashed 1/15 and last night I went to update to 1/23.dirty flashed it and I've had nothing but issues all over the place .having to reinstall apps to get them to work and my contacts broke and won't sync back. Any one else updated seeing this? When I flashed I verified the md5

Did you flash GApps after the ROM update the way I described in this thread before :p ?

Nemo Aeternamn

Jul 25, 2011
Mo-ab
Did you flash GApps after the ROM update the way I described in this thread before [emoji14] ?
Haha Yes, and I just tried wiping the system and reflashing. So each time I've tried to reflash my process has been flash the rom, flash twrp, reboot recovery and then flash gapps and boot up.

Last edited: