[8/1/12] New OFFICIAL ICS firmware bits (2.89.651.2)

Search This thread

Saneless One

Mar 31, 2011
So aside from the radio, what does the firmware actually do for the phone? Responsiveness? Touch screen stuff? Battery life?

molitar

Mar 10, 2009
Google Pixel Fold
I got Hboot 1.50 S-off and I did the update.. says successful but when I reboot it still shows all old software Android 2.3.4, HTC Sense 3.0, Software 2.17.651.5. Why is this not working for me even though it showed ok on the upgrade?

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
I got Hboot 1.50 S-off and I did the update.. says successful but when I reboot it still shows all old software Android 2.3.4, HTC Sense 3.0, Software 2.17.651.5. Why is this not working for me even though it showed ok on the upgrade?

Check your radio/baseband: Did it advance to v 1.09xxxxx?, Did you flash one with Hboot 1.58? If so reboot to bootloader and check. That's all that you will "see" change. The rest requires flashing a rom from the 2.58 base (2.58 based kernels appear to require hboot 1.58 to avoid bootloops).

brc64

Mar 20, 2009
This may be a stupid question, but I can't for the life of me figure out a clear answer. Right now, I'm running the latest stock Gingerbread OTA, rooted, with S-OFF. I want to install the ICS OTA, but I don't want to lose root and I don't want to wipe.. I can't figure out which (if any!) of the files floating around I need to flash to accomplish this... can somebody point me in the right direction? I'm so confused by what I've been reading as to what I actually need to flash...

treetolber

Jun 29, 2008
Las Vegas
OnePlus 11
So am I understanding correctly? If I am currently S-ON, hboot 1.5 and unlocked via HTC dev, I can not update firmware with1.58 hboot?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
So am I understanding correctly? If I am currently S-ON, hboot 1.5 and unlocked via HTC dev, I can not update firmware with1.58 hboot?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

You would have to lock your bootloader, flash the GB ruu, take the ota, then unlock again with HTC dev. Easier just to get s-off.

Save the Drama for your Mama with Tapatalk 2

TaterNutZ9

Aug 19, 2011
Here's my 2 cents..... I read on Drippler yesterday on a rod trip that upgrading HBOOT with S-OFF, you will remain S-OFF. I don't have the B@11s to try it seeing as how I just did the "wire Trick" to get S-Off about 20 minutes ago.

I'll keep checking in and see what everyone else has to say....

-Tater out......

raptoro07

Apr 19, 2006
High Point, NC, USA
Here's my 2 cents..... I read on Drippler yesterday on a rod trip that upgrading HBOOT with S-OFF, you will remain S-OFF. I don't have the B@11s to try it seeing as how I just did the "wire Trick" to get S-Off about 20 minutes ago.

-Tater out......

Well........it's been said over and over in this thread it's true. DO IT!

Reactions: TaterNutZ9

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii

-Tater out......

That's true. I did the wire trick a while back and just flashed the 2.17 RUU.exe from Windows, took the Sprint ICS OTA, then flashed 4EXT recovery and a rooted ROM and I'm still S-OFF and *** LOCKED *** in my 1.58 bootloader.

ramjet73

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
That's true. I did the wire trick a while back and just flashed the 2.17 RUU.exe from Windows, took the Sprint ICS OTA, then flashed 4EXT recovery and a rooted ROM and I'm still S-OFF and *** LOCKED *** in my 1.58 bootloader.

ramjet73

Since they said they were s-on, I suggested what they would have to do being s-on. But I agree that it's easier in the long run to be s-off.

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Since they said they were s-on, I suggested what they would have to do being s-on. But I agree that it's easier in the long run to be s-off.

I think we may have gotten our wires crossed here. :)

I was responding to TaterNutZ9 who said he just did the wire trick so he was S-OFF and wanted to make sure he wouldn't lose it if he upgraded his firmware to 2.89, including bootloader 1.58.

ramjet73

Saneless One

Mar 31, 2011
And just to confirm what others have said, if you're s off and flash 1.58 you will stay s-off and can flash another hboot later if you want (I flashed down to an older one to keep running cm9)

TaterNutZ9

Aug 19, 2011
Well........it's been said over and over in this thread it's true. DO IT!

ramjet73

I think we may have gotten our wires crossed here. :)

I was responding to TaterNutZ9 who said he just did the wire trick so he was S-OFF and wanted to make sure he wouldn't lose it if he upgraded his firmware to 2.89, including bootloader 1.58.

ramjet73

And just to confirm what others have said, if you're s off and flash 1.58 you will stay s-off and can flash another hboot later if you want (I flashed down to an older one to keep running cm9)

Thanks fellas! I mean it too. I haven't been on here for too long and the only time i post is if I might be able to help someone or if I have a question that I can't find ANYWHERE.

But I must say, There are some EXTREMELY talented people on this forum I want to sincerely thank each and every one of you for your hard work, your time, and your effort to help and satisfy so many others. That is a VERY selfless act!! Please don't think it goes unnoticed.

-Tater out

Reactions: ramjet73

TaterNutZ9

Aug 19, 2011
Check this out. Earlier today I did wire trick to get S-OFF and ControlBear Flashed thier HBOOT 1.50.5050. I then noticed a new nightly ViperROM 8/2 (I think).

Anyways I flashed and the aroma installer said I had to Flash Firmware in the included "Venom" directory. So I did.

NOW IT SAYS I HAVE HBOOT 1.58 S-OFF BUT AT THE TOP IT SAYS "LOCKED"!!!!!!
WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT?!?!?!?!?!

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Check this out. Earlier today I did wire trick to get S-OFF and ControlBear Flashed thier HBOOT 1.50.5050. I then noticed a new nightly ViperROM 8/2 (I think).

Anyways I flashed and the aroma installer said I had to Flash Firmware in the included "Venom" directory. So I did.

A locked bootloader is fine as long as you are S-OFF, since that allows you to do a lot more than an unlocked bootloader anyway.

ramjet73

aoaleman

Sep 28, 2010
San Antonio, TX

You can probably just unlock at htcdev.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, finally it happened--Sprint and HTC released an official ICS ROM! Here is the firmware package for it that will update everything except the kernel, hboot, and recovery to the official ICS versions.

download PG86IMG
    MD5: E62D140A3C8CD00A2EB1210CB41D527B

This second package includes the hboot update as well: I've heard that this will write S-ON for anyone who is S-OFF. Rename this file to "PG86IMG.zip" Proceed with caution.
    download PG86IMG with hboot
    MD5: 58E7D186C15A37C52E45A686DFEB641F

As usual, this file must be on the root of your SDcard and flash this in bootloader while either S-ON (not HTC unlocked) OR S-OFF.

OLD OUTDATED deprecated VM firmware:

Hi guys.

After the last screw up with VM firmware, this time will be slightly different. There will be three different PG86IMG.zips.

One will be for those who have already taken the full firmwrae update last time and are unaffected by it.

Second one will be for those who want updated asdp and radio (which can easily be downgraded)

First let's start with some facts: The following has been updated from the original VM leak:
    dzdata_4g.hdr
    adsp.img
    boot_signed.img
    dzdata_4g.img
    hboot_SHOOTER_1.57.0000_signedbyaa.img
    partition.img
    pg2fs_spcustom.img
    radio.img
    ramdisk.img
    recovery_signed.img
    rpm.img
    sbl1.img
    sbl2.img
    sbl3.img
    system.img
    tz.img
    wimax.img

What hasn't been updated is:
    rcdata.img (pretty sure this is PRI and could also be partly resopnsible for the "Virgin Mobile" banner fiasco)
    rfg_1 (this could be reponsible for the "Virgin Mobile" banner fiasco)
    rfg_2 (this could be responsible for the "Virgin Mobile" banner fiasco)
    splash1.nb0 (splash screen, derp)

Now let's get down to business;

For thsoe who want to live on the edge, there is a way to back up your phone's partitions in an attempt to restore them back to what they were. There are two ways to do it, one requires a "brick" using emmc_recover, and the other is this simple command:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk# of=/sdcard/mmcblk#.img

Where # is the partition you want to back up. The EVO 3D, if I'm not mistaken, has 34 partitions, but the one we probably want the most is partition 19 (radio_config). It wouldn't hurt to back them all up if you have not taken any virgin mobile leaks.

Anyway on to the PG86IMGs!
    [size=+3]WARNING:[/size]
    PG86IMGFULL.zip: Will contain everything the first one did. This is for people who have taken the first firmware and have no side-effects. ("Virgin Mobile" banner will come back)

PG86IMGLITE.zip: This will contain the radio, wimax, and asdp updates.

PG86IMGEXP.zip: This will contain everything the full one does MINUS the rcdata/rf_1/rf_2. (which should eliminate the "Virgin Mobile" banner but will not update PRI)

Note: You will have to remove "FULL", "LITE" and/or "EXP" from the filename before the phone will attempt to update itself with them.

Now, if closeone and/or Unknownforce wants to take a crack at modifying one or all three of the files (rf_1,rf_2,rcdata) to get rid of the Virgin Mobile banner, and to make it 'Sprintified" so that it isn't just a mask up, then we will be in business. :)
    I will just point out that I strongly suggest waiting to flash anything like this until it's confirmed that it can be reverted properly.

I'm sure that it can be done, but it's gonna take some time to figure it out. Don't expect a fast turn around. I'm working on it as much as I can.
    Updated with official!
    I'm just going to leave this here as well. Posted it in the other thread.

I'm relatively sure that freeza can attest to this. If everything is working fine right now, and you (the user of the EVO 3D) are satisfied with the experience, I would suggest not flashing it yet. When things settle down, ROM developers will tell you if you absolutely need to upgrade anything. I just wouldn't do it for the sake of doing it.

Sorry. Just my two cents.
    Thanks Whosdaman for the leak post, and freeza for the updates in this thread. ;)

~co~
    Nooo...just noooo...(consuela)

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium