[8.1.x][OFFICIAL][RELEASE] CarbonROM | cr-6.1 [taimen]

Search This thread

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
Curiosity: Why would tftp server be running at all?

Code:
01-23 10:48:03.656 E/tftp_server(776): pid=776 tid=5156 tftp-server : ERR :[tftp_server.c, 1519] open failed : [-2] [Unknown error -2]
01-23 10:48:03.657 E/tftp_server(776): pid=776 tid=5156 tftp-server : ERR :[tftp_protocol.c, 1146] sending error-pkt. Code = 1, Msg = Err=2 String=No such file or directory
01-23 10:48:03.660 E/tftp_server(776): pid=776 tid=5157 tftp-server : ERR :[tftp_server.c, 1519] open failed : [-2] [Unknown error -2]
01-23 10:48:03.660 E/tftp_server(776): pid=776 tid=5157 tftp-server : ERR :[tftp_protocol.c, 1146] sending error-pkt. Code = 1, Msg = Err=2 String=No such file or directory
Did you find an answer to this question? tftp server implementations are typical insecure and I wouldn't want one running on my phone. I see it running on my pixel 3.

SplinterSeed

Dec 27, 2014
How am I supposed to flash gapps after rebooting to the second slot? If i haven't set a pin for the new rom, aren't the files going to be encrypted?

Thanks

cwm9

Jan 17, 2014
First install question -- flash factory pie or oreo?

Hi. I just bought a pixel 2 xl and want to flash Carbon. The instructions say to flash the "latest factory image." My phone has pie on it. Do I install the latest Pie factory image, or the latest Oreo factory image? Thanks.

socksi

Jun 3, 2010
Hi. I just bought a pixel 2 xl and want to flash Carbon. The instructions say to flash the "latest factory image." My phone has pie on it. Do I install the latest Pie factory image, or the latest Oreo factory image? Thanks.

Got my new Pixel 2 XL yesterday also and tried to install Carbon ROM.
When I use Pie factory image my sdcard partition is corrupted after installing CARBON-CR-6.1-NOCT-RELEASE-taimen-20190116-0519.zip and rebooting.
So I assume you have to use the Oreo factory image. Maybe you have to use the current vendor.img of the Pie factory image. Couldn't find that out.
Nevertheless, even with the Oreo image my phone is always booting straight into the bootloader.

What I did so far:
- Unlocked the bootloader as described here.
- Flashed the latest Oreo factory image taimen-opm2.171026.006.h1-factory-57328312.zip using the Deuces script.
- Copied CARBON-CR-6.1-NOCT-RELEASE-taimen-20190116-0519.zip, twrp-pixel2-installer-taimen-3.2.3-1.zip and open_gapps-arm64-8.1-pico-20181001.zip to /sdcard/ using adb push.
- fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-1-taimen.img
- Wiped system, cache and data
- Installed Carbon and TWRP zips
- Reboot to recovery. Other slot is active now.
- Installed Gapps zip
- Reboot system boots straight into the bootloader

The bootloader shows:

SECURE BOOT - yes
DEVICE STATE - unlocked

Can someone please confirm that "SECURE BOOT - yes" is correct. This is the only problem I can think of why Carbon is not booting.

rrrrrrredbelly

Aug 16, 2010
WA
Got my new Pixel 2 XL yesterday also and tried to install Carbon ROM.
When I use Pie factory image my sdcard partition is corrupted after installing CARBON-CR-6.1-NOCT-RELEASE-taimen-20190116-0519.zip and rebooting.
So I assume you have to use the Oreo factory image. Maybe you have to use the current vendor.img of the Pie factory image. Couldn't find that out.
Nevertheless, even with the Oreo image my phone is always booting straight into the bootloader.

What I did so far:
- Unlocked the bootloader as described here.
- Flashed the latest Oreo factory image taimen-opm2.171026.006.h1-factory-57328312.zip using the Deuces script.
- Copied CARBON-CR-6.1-NOCT-RELEASE-taimen-20190116-0519.zip, twrp-pixel2-installer-taimen-3.2.3-1.zip and open_gapps-arm64-8.1-pico-20181001.zip to /sdcard/ using adb push.
- fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-1-taimen.img
- Wiped system, cache and data
- Installed Carbon and TWRP zips
- Reboot to recovery. Other slot is active now.
- Installed Gapps zip
- Reboot system boots straight into the bootloader

The bootloader shows:

SECURE BOOT - yes
DEVICE STATE - unlocked

Can someone please confirm that "SECURE BOOT - yes" is correct. This is the only problem I can think of why Carbon is not booting.

Never wipe system on this phone. You'll have to start over from scratch.

socksi

Jun 3, 2010
Found the problem. It did not work with OpenGapps. With Mind The Gapps installation succeeds.

- Extracted taimen-opm2.171026.006.h1-factory-57328312.zip and zip inside to platform-tools
- Reboot to bootloader

.\deuce-flash-all-v4.5.bat
.\fastboot.exe reboot

- Enable developer options -> USB debugging on

.\adb.exe push .\CARBON-CR-6.1-NOCT-RELEASE-taimen-20190116-0519.zip /sdcard/
.\adb.exe push .\twrp-pixel2-installer-taimen-3.2.3-1.zip /sdcard/
.\adb.exe push .\MindTheGapps-8.1.0-arm64-20180808_153856.zip /sdcard/
.\adb.exe reboot bootloader
.\fastboot.exe boot twrp-3.2.3-1-taimen.img

- Normal Wipe (Data, Cache, Dalvik)
- Install CARBON-CR-6.1-NOCT-RELEASE-taimen-20190116-0519.zip
- Install twrp-pixel2-installer-taimen-3.2.3-1.zip
- Reboot recovery
- Install MindTheGapps-8.1.0-arm64-20180808_153856.zip
- Reboot system (Do not install TWRP app)

---------- Post added at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

Once you're on the latest Oreo all you need to wipe is data and cache.
Update the vendor to both slots then flash the ROM as usual.

Carbon does not start when I flash vendor.img from Pie factory image.
Looks like baseband, bootloader and vendor have to match.

socksi

Jun 3, 2010
unable to restore TWRP backup

I made a TWRP backup (boot, system and data) from my running CarbonROM to an external USB stick.
After doing some tests with a Pie image I flashed back the latest Oreo factory image to both slots and tried to restore my backup.
After boot and system partitions were restored successfully I get an error that the data partition is not found.
Looks like it's a problem with the Pixel security module and the data partition is still encrypted. Is there a specific procedure for restoring backups? What am I doing wrong?

2 more problems:
- When I first installed TWRP it showed a date of 1969-12-31. 2 days later the date advanced by 2 days and is now 1970-01-02. Is it possible to set the correct date?
- In CarbonROM I placed the digital clock widget on my home screen. Where can I find the "widget settings" for customization and to display calendar entries below the clock? It's missing in the menu.

markri

Feb 7, 2019
Just installed this ROM on my Pixel 2 XL. Looking very good! Thnx!
However; I have issues with the camera orientation. The realtime display is ok, but reviewing the taken picture shows wrong orientation. Googling around it looks like a android issue that is common, but what to do about it?.

Too soon. Just installed opencamera which does it right. It was just the default app in this rom that is faulty

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IfblItr.png

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub... and at CarbonROM Gerrit.

Disclaimer:
    While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash!

Support:
    We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
    2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
    3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
    4) Join our Discord server! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.

Notice:
    In order to install GApps, you must flash the ROM then reboot into TWRP before flashing the recommended MindTheGapps GApps package (as this switches slots).
    Also, we know the default wallpaper on is black. We know it's caused by the RRO overlays on vendor and unfortunately we can't change the default (yet?), you can change it manually without complications though.
    We know it’s complicated, but it sure is worth it!

Install Instructions:
    1. Flash the newest factory images on both slots
    2. Move your ROM + [GApps] + TWRP.zip to your internal storage
    3. Boot the TWRP.img > Check what Slot you're on (Reboot Menu) ->Wipe Data & Cache -> Flash the ROM as well as the TWRP.zip
    4. Either Reboot to system or, in case you want GApps, reboot to recovery via TWRP (Reboot -> Recovery)
    5. Check and confirm that you are on the opposite slot from Step 3. If not, switch to it and reboot the recovery again (Reboot Menu) -> Flash GApps (and whatever else you want to flash -> Reboot to System -> Enjoy CarbonROM

Get CarbonROM
    Changelog
    Join the CarbonROM Discord server
    GitHub
    Gerrit
    Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    CarbonROM, ROM for the Google Pixel 2 XL

Contributors
    Myself5, frap129, CarbonROM
    Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2018-01-16
    Last Updated 2018-09-12
    You got now listening, but what about active edge? I'm assuming not yet, yeah? Could you share a list of carbonROM features that are working with this build??
    Had to reverse engineer a lot of google code to get Now Listening to work, and now that I know what I'm doing, active edge is up next :p
    Screenshots:D

Sent from my Google Pixel 2 XL using XDA Labs
    Screenshot:
    "Its based on aosp just look at your phone".jpg
    New build

The March Security patches dropped yesterday. As promised before, I took that as a opportunity to run a new taimen build.

Some infos for CARBON-CR-6.1-TBA-XDA-taimen-20180306-1853:
    • This build includes the March Security patches
    • We moved from OpenGapps to MindTheGapps. The reason behind that is simple. MindTheGapps Just Works. that means that terribly annoying Playstore App download issue is gone.
    • However, that also means that only the "basics" are included. So no Pixel Launcher, Google Camera and so on. Please download and install that on your own. It will still flawlessly work, its just not included by default anymore.

Happy Flashing.

P.S. The link to the mirror got changed to a different Server. I didn't know that Amazon AWSs free tier only includes 15GB of traffic a month, so I ended up paying for an extra 150GB last month. Ouups :D
    If you encounter any issues with the main download server or the mirror, please let me know and I will try to find an alternative.
    New build

A new build has just been uploaded. After 4 days of research, countless testbuilds and hours spent on reading code, I finally got VoWiFi working for Verizon users.
    I ALSO fixed the ModemService crash, so we should be fully stable now (expect for occasionally occuring PlayStore FCs at boot it seems, for that, See if Play Services is granted all permissions in Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Services -> Permissions).

As always, let us know when encounter any issues, and till then: Happy flashing :)

BIG thanks to @fhem and @klabit87 for spending so much time on testing and providing logs, you guys really saved me.

No thanks to @kheltek and @MikereDD for never providing promised Tacos :crying:
    Alright, my 2.10 Flash Kernel has been re-uploaded with a copy of Magisk's magiskboot binary that will patch the dtbo image to remove verity if you are on anything other than stock. I had this idea last night but @frap129 helped me figured out a sure proof way (for the most part) to ensure only stock doesn't get patched (so people don't get the warning at boot). Flash should now be 100% compatible with Carbon :cowboy: