[8.x.x][Alpha] CarbonROM | cr-6.0 [castor/castor_windy]

Search This thread

rcstar6696

Dec 21, 2013
Kassel (Hessen)
yNrqrPx.png

Who's back? We're back.

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub... and at CarbonROM Gerrit.

Disclaimer:
While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Support:
We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Download:
Rom:
Official castor_windy (WiFi only) Oreo
Official castor_windy (WiFi only) Nougat

Official castor (LTE)

Test-Build castor_windy (WiFi only)
Test-Build castor (LTE)

Recovery:
TWRP castor_windy (WiFi only)
TWRP castor (LTE)

Gapps:
Opengapps
Beansgapps

VERY IMPORTANT
-Before installing ROM for first time Wipe every partition with flashtool and install stock FTF.
-If you Update the ROM skip 2,3,4,6,8 in Instructions.

Bugs:
Nougat: Please let me know if you find Bugs!!!
Oreo: Exfat and Wifi Display are broken

Questions & Answers Discussion Thread
Click to go Q&A Thread

Instructions

1. Download ROM, Gapps, TWRP recovery.
2. Extract Boot.img from ROM zip.
3. Flash the Boot.img from ROM via fastboot (fastboot flash boot pathTo/boot.img)
4. Flash TWRP Recovery via fastboot (fastboot flash recovery pathTo/recovery.img)
5. Boot into Recovery by using VOLUME UP when Sony logo comes up with pink notification light.
(Orange LED shows Recovery is Loading)
6. Wipe System,Data, Dalvik, Cache from recovery (Wipe Option).
7. Flash CarbonRom zip.
8. Flash Gapps zip.
9. Reboot.

(Optional)
7.2 Root: Download SuperSu & flash SuperSU zip via Recovery

Changelog

Build 11/08/2017
-Initial Release
-All important bugs are solved now

FAQ

Q- Can i install it on locked bootloader?
A- No.

Q- Which gapps should be used?
A- OpenGapps arm 7.1 Full

Q- How to install this rom?
A- Read first post.

Q- Is something not working?
A-See the bugs listed above.

Q- Something* is not working.
A-Report bugs on github or here when it is not listed above.

Q- What's the difference between official weeklys and test builds ?
A- Official weeklys use the stablest code we have, test builds sometimes have bugs, but you will have features which are under testing or prerelease features which are not available on weeklys yet.

Source:
GitHub
Gerrit
Kernel source

Credits
- @tomascus
- @nailyk
- @diewi
- @Myself5
- @xkeita

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
CarbonROM Castor/Castor_windy, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet

Contributors
rcstar6696, akshay2shah, iXaidyiu , opendata , vikash1994b
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Stock Version 23.5.A.1.291 has to be flashed
Based On: CarbonRom

Version Information

Created 2017-08-11
Last Updated 2018-05-08

Last edited:

firefox-58

Feb 16, 2011
Heilbronn
Hi,

Super! I think lots of people will be glad testing this new ROM.

On the latest build (July) of Carbon ROM/Castor LTE I had a lot of problems connecting to some Wlan Access Points. Seems that the authentication (cipher???) do not work. Could it be that the Wifi implementation was/is not complete?

Is this fixed in the builds here?

smoschi

Sep 15, 2011
Hey rcstar 6696,

thank you guys!

Is the castor-lte -testBuild Version stable enough with wifi / no reboots?
I know, the Official castor (LTE) are Not available yet, but what you think you will release it? Please no stress ;) I need the Infos, to plan free time for a flashing-day my three Castor Tablets ;)

thank you for your hard work ;)

TimHermans

Apr 4, 2012
piezewieter.synology.me
At first glance:
  • auto power down fixed, no more!
  • wifi disabled at config wizard, still present (quicktoggle workaround works though)
  • sometimes touchscreen freezes and refuses input (put screen off and back on fixes it)
  • snappy rom, pretty fast, no big issues found!

Thanks for the hard work on this rom! Finally a decent AOSP Rom for my Z2 Tablet.. :victory:

Greetz

Last edited:
Reactions: smoschi

rcstar6696

Dec 21, 2013
Kassel (Hessen)
At first glance:
  • auto power down fixed, no more!
  • wifi disabled at config wizard, still present (quicktoggle workaround works though)
  • sometimes touchscreen freezes and refuses input (put screen off and back on fixes it)
  • snappy rom, pretty fast, no big issues found!

Thanks for the hard work on this rom! Finally a decent AOSP Rom for my Z2 Tablet.. :victory:

Greetz

Yeah first was a tricky bug but it was due a Sony change in kernel which killed power code in kernel
Will try to fix wifi issue should be easy
The touch screen thing is Hardware releated i know from some guys that stock sometimes is not working too

TimHermans

Apr 4, 2012
piezewieter.synology.me
Yeah first was a tricky bug but it was due a Sony change in kernel which killed power code in kernel
Will try to fix wifi issue should be easy
The touch screen thing is Hardware releated i know from some guys that stock sometimes is not working too

Yes this is also in stock ROM, so probably kernel related.. Also saw some build.prop entry for the touchscreen, maybe that's causing it..

Micromind

Feb 5, 2006
Treviso
Battery drain issue is still present... Maybe it's a battery charging issue ..... But with stock ROM I had no battery problem, only with twrp recovery and Carbon ROM.

Inviato dal mio Xperia Z2 Tablet LTE utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

Micromind

Feb 5, 2006
Treviso
Show and explain your battery drain please ?
Btw wifi issue with setup wizard is fixed in new build
I posted on lineageos thread the screenshot of carbon ROM battery drain.... From 100% to about 60% battery drain is standard....but when arrives to a lower value, it drops in few seconds and tablet shut down.
I really don't know and don't understand why.....with stock and Lineage I had no problem.

From 65% to 0% as fast as StarTrek teletrasportation ......
a013faedfb02e0268d2a4b979b88fd28.jpg

Last edited:

gordito_gr

Nov 7, 2010
Just decided to install a custom rom on my Z2 and i see a new rom out?
Good job @rcstar6696 just finished unlocking, twrp and doing my first boot!

Will come up with info and bug reporting (if any)!!

gordito_gr

Nov 7, 2010
First boot wasn't successful, my setup wizard kept crashing after choosing language. i downloaded arm gapps 7.1 nano.
I flashed supersu so i will try once more without it. Then i will try beans gapps

Reactions: Ferris_B

Micromind

Feb 5, 2006
Treviso
First boot wasn't successful, my setup wizard kept crashing after choosing language. i downloaded arm gapps 7.1 nano.
I flashed supersu so i will try once more without it. Then i will try beans gapps
Try to click on WiFi icon to get connected (click click click and click again when error disappears to open drop down menu) and wizard will end with no error....

rcstar6696

Dec 21, 2013
Kassel (Hessen)
I read in OP:

Is this also needed when coming from, say, latest rcstar6696 LineageOS?
Thanks

No if you come from lineage you don't need stock before flashing carbon. Only wipe data and system.

Take a look at this screenshot..... Battery was at 13% and in a second it arrives at 55% .....
30bfce07fb84accfd6a337e1fa7fa9c0.jpg

Hmm OK thats interessting i never faced such issue on my tablet. Can you send me a dmesg and logcat when it starts to lower battery extremly

Yeah its a known issue from opengapps. Fix is made and will be included in next build. Not sure if it goes in next weekly but my next test build will have it

Reactions: Dior DNA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yNrqrPx.png

Who's back? We're back.

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub... and at CarbonROM Gerrit.

Disclaimer:
    While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Support:
    We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
    2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
    3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
    4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Download:
    Rom:
    Official castor_windy (WiFi only) Oreo
    Official castor_windy (WiFi only) Nougat

Official castor (LTE)

Test-Build castor_windy (WiFi only)
    Test-Build castor (LTE)

Recovery:
    TWRP castor_windy (WiFi only)
    TWRP castor (LTE)

Gapps:
    Opengapps
    Beansgapps

VERY IMPORTANT
    -Before installing ROM for first time Wipe every partition with flashtool and install stock FTF.
    -If you Update the ROM skip 2,3,4,6,8 in Instructions.

Bugs:
    Nougat: Please let me know if you find Bugs!!!
    Oreo: Exfat and Wifi Display are broken

Questions & Answers Discussion Thread
    Click to go Q&A Thread

Instructions

1. Download ROM, Gapps, TWRP recovery.
    2. Extract Boot.img from ROM zip.
    3. Flash the Boot.img from ROM via fastboot (fastboot flash boot pathTo/boot.img)
    4. Flash TWRP Recovery via fastboot (fastboot flash recovery pathTo/recovery.img)
    5. Boot into Recovery by using VOLUME UP when Sony logo comes up with pink notification light.
    (Orange LED shows Recovery is Loading)
    6. Wipe System,Data, Dalvik, Cache from recovery (Wipe Option).
    7. Flash CarbonRom zip.
    8. Flash Gapps zip.
    9. Reboot.

(Optional)
    7.2 Root: Download SuperSu & flash SuperSU zip via Recovery

Changelog

Build 11/08/2017
    -Initial Release
    -All important bugs are solved now

FAQ

Q- Can i install it on locked bootloader?
    A- No.

Q- Which gapps should be used?
    A- OpenGapps arm 7.1 Full

Q- How to install this rom?
    A- Read first post.

Q- Is something not working?
    A-See the bugs listed above.

Q- Something* is not working.
    A-Report bugs on github or here when it is not listed above.

Q- What's the difference between official weeklys and test builds ?
    A- Official weeklys use the stablest code we have, test builds sometimes have bugs, but you will have features which are under testing or prerelease features which are not available on weeklys yet.

Source:
    GitHub
    Gerrit
    Kernel source

Credits
    - @tomascus
    - @nailyk
    - @diewi
    - @Myself5
    - @xkeita

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    CarbonROM Castor/Castor_windy, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet

Contributors
    rcstar6696, akshay2shah, iXaidyiu , opendata , vikash1994b
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Stock Version 23.5.A.1.291 has to be flashed
    Based On: CarbonRom

Version Information

Created 2017-08-11
    Last Updated 2018-05-08
    New build is up

A New build is online

- some new features like New autobrightness settings
    - audio updates for oreo
    - treble services enabled
    - early mounted system for faster Boot
    - some APP optimations
    - small sepolicy fixes
    Changelog. 11 Feb 2018
    - Android 8.1.0 r11
    - Android Security Patch Level- February 5, 2018
    - WiFi Display Fixed (Cast Screen, Miracast )
    - exFAT File system for SD card Fixed.
    - New acdb ids for speaker.

Enjoy New Update

Take care the name has changed from unofficial to rcstar6696
    Video recording

Hey guys

New build is up
    Video recording is basicly fixed
    There is actually a thin green line in the video and some resolutions do not work yet.

But enjoy oreo now with working video recording from any app
    New Build

Sorry for delay
    I was busy with learning but now build is public

Changelog:
    Pixel launcher from p
    March Security
    8.1.0 r15
    Offline charging ok with wall charger
    Noise cancallation included
    A lot of carbon rom patches and features in carbon fibers

NEW RECOVERY IS NEEDED FOR NEW BUILDS FROM NOW !!!!!