8GB class 10

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Just wanted to drop in and tell everyone about the sd card I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...zFgKt7nRXQb%2Bai8%3D&viewitem=#ht_1136wt_1139

Speed is awesome. I can restore an image from recovery almost 5x faster than the stock card. My hero seems twice as fast just doing day to day stuff. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. I had no idea that the system depends so much on the sd card.

FYI, stock card is class 2 (read 2MB/s). This is class 10 (10MB/s). 8GB is platy for me and you can't beat $17.99 free shipping. I'm getting one more for my wife's intercept.

BTW, incase the listing is gone in the future this was:
Patriot LX (Class 10) 8GB MicroSDHC Flash Memory Card
ASIN: B003SX0OU2
Item model number: PSF4GMCSDHC10
Tested and worked on CDMA HERO under CM6 nightly 87

Last edited:

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
Nice find, I paid $23 for a 8 gig class 6 just last week. You are right about the speed improvement, I was running a 4 gig class 4 before and I can tell the difference!

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Nice find, I paid $23 for a 8 gig class 6 just last week. You are right about the speed improvement, I was running a 4 gig class 4 before and I can tell the difference!
This card is amazing! I finally found out why it took so long for the phone to start ringing when the call was coming through. Guess what... I had the ringtone downloaded on the damn stock slow-ass class 2 sd card which took forever to load the sound LOL.

I wonder how many people are having lag issues with their hero not realizing this sd card limit problem.

iviyth0s

Jul 8, 2009
Hmm I'm debating getting a Class 10 16GB but I might just disable A2SD since I'm pretty sure that the internal memory is faster than a class 2 microSD card.

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Hmm I'm debating getting a Class 10 16GB but I might just disable A2SD since I'm pretty sure that the internal memory is faster than a class 2 microSD card.
Yeah, for sure it is. But I don't run apps2sd even on this new class 10 card simply because cm6 has plenty of room for me and it's froyo 2.2 so I can move each app to sd individually. However, ringtones are downloaded to sd (wherever you get them from) and when selected as a ringtone in the main system they are not moved to memory anywhere. They still are executed from the sd card.

jasonlefever

Apr 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
The Hero only recognizes up to class 6. If you buy a class 10 sd, it will work, but you'll have the same speeds as a class6.
Really? Good thing I bought an 8gb class 6 instead of a class 10 last night. Haha.. I can't wait though, I get it in about three more days, and paid only $15 with free shipping from ebay. That's good enough for me.

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
The Hero only recognizes up to class 6. If you buy a class 10 sd, it will work, but you'll have the same speeds as a class6.
When I'm hooked up to the PC and writing to the card it barely gets over 4 mega bytes/s but when I read from it it caps out at exactly 10 mega bytes/s.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from but all I'm saying this is what's happening as far as I can tell.

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Hmmm... I just thought about that. Between the PC and the hero it should read whatever the class is but not necessarily between the SD and hero itself. I'll have to download the app to test sd speed and see.

8er

Feb 18, 2010
Tried 'sd card speed tester' from the market?

When I'm hooked up to the PC and writing to the card it barely gets over 4 mega bytes/s but when I read from it it caps out at exactly 10 mega bytes/s.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from but all I'm saying this is what's happening as far as I can tell.

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Well... it just died on me!!! Along with all my data on it.
The thing will not respond at all. I might as well be putting my fingernail in the slot. I tried other cards, they mount just fine. I also tried my laptop and still no go.

Patriot memory sucks :mad:

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Now that I was forced to switch back to the old card I'm getting awesome battery on my phone. I think that card may have been going bad for a while and maybe the phone never went to sleep because it kept trying to mount it. I know the few days before if died it kept dismounting it and I had to rensert it to mount.

Just an observation that battery life could be also related to your card.