[9][UNOFFICIAL][BETA] CarbonROM | cr-7.0 [z3c]

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

NOTICE: THIS IS AN EARLY BUILD. There will be changes in the release branches like changed/removed features or similiar.

BUGS:
  • We found the camera to be a little wonky on occasion. Working on that. Currently waiting between pictures is working around the issue.
  • Video Recording is not working

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub...

Disclaimer:
While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! These builds are experimental and can contain Bugs (as listed above). Make sure to do backups.

Support:
We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
4) Join our Discord server! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.
5) Please keep bugreports to this thread or Discord. Do NOT create a Jira ticket. This is still in early development so we don't accept any bugreports yet.

Download
Download Mirror
Join the CarbonROM Discord server
Meet us on Telegram
GitHub
Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
CarbonROM, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Contributors
Myself5, CarbonROM
Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2019-03-02
Last Updated 2020-02-08

yxagasasgas

Sep 6, 2018
Just pointing out that Double-tap to wake is still broken in the latest build. Battery drain that started with the previous build is also still the same (nearly 20% over a 6 hour night).

Thanks for the good work otherwise and keeping older devices up-to-date!

yxagasasgas

Sep 6, 2018
Why must accudrain so poor in custum rom? Actual i`m back to stock and drain over a 12h night is only 2%.
This is a new-ish issue that started with the end of January build, in previous builds of CR7 (that aren't hosted anymore), battery usage was just fine, and I would expect that to get fixed again.

Reactions: heross

PolloGrande

Feb 6, 2019
Tried it for the last day, was on CARBON-CR-7.0-TBA-UNOFFICIAL-z3c-20190129-1316.zip for the last month. And I've noticed some great improvements so far:

the great news:
  • I wasn't able to reproduce the lockscreen and notification bar bugs anymore.
  • docking the phone seems to work now also without problems
  • viewing .gif and videos directly in Whatsapp is working again
  • performance is splendid

the bugs still present:

• battery drain seems to be still present (but no problem getting over a day with moderate screentime for me)
  • the camera: video recording is not working at all. changing between front and back camera multiple times doesn't crash anymore, which is great. The bug about the second picture crash while using the stock camera app is still present. Taking multiple pictures directly in whatsapp is working. Frontcam does show a correct live picture and taking a picture does work as long as you don't try to use the display flash (stuck on display flash).
  • double tap to wake doesn't work

Not tested: USB and Wifi tethering

Well, I can live with the few bugs listed above for now, as long as you don't use the camera too often or just use Whatsapp for taking pictures directly, nothing is stopping me from using this rom anymore.

Thanks for keeping my favourite phone up to date!

Reactions: allerd and okij

mxperial

Apr 2, 2016
Big thanks to @Myself5 and the team to keeping z3c alive!

Clean flashed the 29/01, dirty flashed 02/03 and dirty flashed 21/05 (using modules from here). Regarding to bugs these are the most visible that I encountered so far:

• battery drain still high in my view but I'm still investigating (It seems a bit better than the last CR6.1 tho)
  • video recording is kinda broken!? I don't know how but I managed once to get video from front camera, using back camera it didn't work at all till now. Switching between cameras and modes also make the camera stops. While playing music I tried to record videos and when the camera stopped the music switched or also stopped every time (don't know if it matters or not). Fixed on 21/05/2019 build
  • manual network selection not working (cannot select network but it connects fine on automatic mode) Still present on 21/05/2019 build
  • clock overlay even after changed its position, after taking screenshot or pulling down the status bar it disappears (minor bug) Fixed on 21/05/2019 build
  • I suspect there might be an issue with alarm since I set up it to 6:12 and it rang at 6:22... I'll keep investigating trying to get logs..
  • No FM Radio..
  • Every time a new app is installed using 'files', screen freezes (trying to get logs)..
  • Offline charging not working(?)

Logs and screenshots are attached. Will update this as I find more relevant things...

Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:

casouzaj

Oct 13, 2006
Haibara-gum Yoshida-cho Sumiyoshi-shi
The latest build (0302) brings big improvements to GPS navigation. It seems to be working now. The bugs I've faced are the following:

1 - WiFi tethering is still not working for me. After toggling it on, it starts the process, turning the WiFi radio off, but it is automatically toggled off right afterwards, and WiFi is turned back on.

2 - Screen cast seemed to connect, at first attempt. My smart TV showed the connection screen, but my Z3C phone undergone a soft reboot. Further attempts showed no TV sets available in my local WiFi network.

I'm keeping this ROM, anyway. Thank you very much!

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
First impressions

@Myself5: Thanks a lot for making cr-7.0 for the Z3c! :victory: I know that it's not finished yet, so I want to share my own first impressions.

Since I have a spare second Z3c, I used my working cr-6.1 installation from my first Z3c (which I transferred via TWRP backup) and installed cr-7.0 plus 9.0 Gapps ontop of it.

Basically it works, but I have a big problem using an SD card. If I already have it inserted when booting up cr-7.0, the phone reboots at lock screen or soon after unlocking. If I don't have an SD card inserted when booting up, everything is fine and I can use the phone, but as soon as I insert a card, it reboots.
This behaviour stays the same even after freshly formatting the SC card on my PC. And - before anyone asks - I have the same problem after clean-flashing cr-7.0, so it's not caused by dirty-updating from cr-6.1.
Does anyone else have such SD card / reboot problems and knows how to solve them?

I just did another test after fully removing the partition from the SD card by using a partition tool on the PC and then letting the cr-7.0 phone do the formatting. Now it seems to work well, no reboots anymore. Now the card is formatted in FAT32, whereas before it was formatted in ExFAT, so probably ExFAT support is missing or buggy!?

About battery usage: As some users already wrote, so far it's worse than on cr-6.1. During standby at night, the cr-6.1 phone had a battery drain of only about 0,3 %/h, whereas the cr-7.0 phone had a battery drain of about 1,8 %/h. On the cr-7.0 phone, the mobile network ("Mobilfunk") consumes more than on the cr-6.1 phone, so maybe that's the culprit?

About double tap to wake: It's working for me, but I had to activate it via Kernel Adiutor.

About camera: I have the same problems which have already been mentioned.

General: CarbonROM 7.0 already seems to run smooth and stable. What's great is that I can use EdXposed (I mainly need it for the Disable Desk Dock module because otherwise I wouldn't be able to properly use my car holder) but at the same time still pass SafetyNet and use banking apps (putting them on the black list of EdXposed).

For now, I will stay on cr-6.1 for daily usage until the battery drain and camera problems have been fixed, but I will update cr-7.0 on my second Z3c and see how the development goes on. I likely will also make and maintain a "user experiences and issue list", like I did on the cr-6.1 thread (I already reserved post #6 for this.)

Keep up the great work! :cool:

Barciej33

Nov 30, 2017
Basically it works, but I have a big problem using an SD card. If I already have it inserted when booting up cr-7.0, the phone reboots at lock screen or soon after unlocking. If I don't have an SD card inserted when booting up, everything is fine and I can use the phone, but as soon as I insert a card, it reboots.
This behaviour stays the same even after freshly formatting the SC card on my PC. And - before anyone asks - I have the same problem after clean-flashing cr-7.0, so it's not caused by dirty-updating from cr-6.1.
Does anyone else have such SD card / reboot problems and knows how to solve them?
Same here. I did a clean flash and I couldn't manage to pass the lockscreen. I didn't have such a problem on the 20190129 version.

Reactions: okij

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
@Myself5, about the so far not working exFAT on Pie: They seem to have the same issue on the LineageOS 16 thread:

There is another build uploading to the usual folder, it has sdFat driver and uses it also for exFat, i hope it can solve the problems with sdcard's. Please report back if there is any luck :)
But unfortunately it's not solved yet.

Maybe you and @NeoArian could work together to fix this issue? :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: mxperial

odiad

Jun 12, 2007
Hi myself5. The new release of ROM does not work for me. I flashed clean, but after some seconds after first boot the phone rebootet (home screen was already appeared). And it robots anytime shortly after boot. I can e.g. just insert sim pin, but at least then the phone is booting again.
I tried first flashing with gapps, but also without flashing gapps, so only ROM, shows same result.

Greetings Odiad

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
Hi myself5. The new release of ROM does not work for me. I flashed clean, but after some seconds after first boot the phone rebootet (home screen was already appeared). And it robots anytime shortly after boot.
I bet that you are using an exFAT formatted SD card, since I faced the same problems.

Your only options ATM are not to use an SD card or to format it in FAT32 file system (which has some drawbacks of e.g. not supporting files > 4 GB in size).

Hopefully the devs will get it fixed soon. :fingers-crossed:

casouzaj

Oct 13, 2006
Haibara-gum Yoshida-cho Sumiyoshi-shi
I bet that you are using an exFAT formatted SD card, since I faced the same problems.

Your only options ATM are not to use an SD card or to format it in FAT32 file system (which has some drawbacks of e.g. not supporting files > 4 GB in size).

Hopefully the devs will get it fixed soon. :fingers-crossed:
I turned my Z3C phone, running the latest 0310 build, off, then, for test purposes, inserted an exFAT formatted card into its slot, and turned it back on. For me, a specific popup message came up stating that that card was not supported, but no unexpected reboots. I wonder what might cause reboots in your case? The Gapps package, perhaps? I use the opengapps mini one.