• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[A] Can't Defrost apps with Titanium Backup on ICS

Search This thread

Johnny11

Jul 19, 2009
Toronto
I didn't notice anyone had a posted a solution to this problem, so I thought I'd do so in case anyone else ran into it.

I was able to freeze apps fine with Titanium Backup on the latest ICS leak (XXLPB as of right now) but ran into some problems when I wanted to defrost them. Titanium Backup said they were defrosted successfully but they still were listed as frozen and didn't appear in the app drawer.

Here is how to solve the problem:
1. Find /data/system/packages.xml with Root Explorer or an equivalent
2. Make a backup of packages.xml right away in the same folder in case we mess anything up any need to restore it later
3. Copy packages.xml onto the root of your internal or external storage
4. Plug your device into your computer and copy packages.xml from the root of your storage over to your computer
5. Open the packages.xml on your computer with your editor of choice - I suggest Notepad++
6. Search for the string {enabled="2"} (without the { }). Every line ending in this represents a frozen app. The lines should look something like this:
Code:
<package name="com.sec.android.widgetapp.socialhub" codePath="/system/app/SocialHubWidget.apk" nativeLibraryPath="/data/data/com.sec.android.widgetapp.socialhub/lib" flags="1" ft="11b7e237e00" it="11b7e237e00" ut="11b7e237e00" version="1" sharedUserId="10001" [COLOR="Red"]enabled="2"[/COLOR]>
7. Now for every app you wish to unfreeze, replace {enabled="2"} with {enabled="1"} (again, without the {})
7. Save packages.xml, move it back onto your phone's storage, and use Root Explorer or an equivalent to replace your original packages.xml at /data/system/packages.xml with your new one
8. Reboot

Props to olympicchicken for getting me most of the way to the answer: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20771481&postcount=113

***UPDATE*** Feb 29, 2011
See this post for a way to freeze and unfreeze system apps without messing with the packages.xml file. Thanks polzovotel.

Last edited:

Nos_20

Sep 21, 2011
OnePlus City
Will doing this then allow titanium backup to freeze/defrost apps as it should, or do I have to do this each time I want to defrost an app?

Johnny11

Jul 19, 2009
Toronto
You will have to do this each time you want to defrost an app.

However, I would imagine it would be pretty trivial for a dev to make an app to automate the process. Unfortunately, I don't have the coding knowledge to do that.

Nos_20

Sep 21, 2011
OnePlus City
Seems daft I cannot defrost apps on Android 4 in titanium or my tool box just doesn't work.

Not really getting any help from the app developers either!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

trevmar

Oct 30, 2010
With a Galaxy Note running XXLA4 I find the text is {enabled="false"}

Interesting that YouTube, Maps, and a few other apps are marked: {enabled="true"}

Everything worked OK when I just deleted the (enabled="false"} ... Thanks OP :)

jotajota82

Feb 20, 2012
not with some apps

Thanks Jhonny, i did what you said, but still cant defrost some apps i dont know why

Johnny11

Jul 19, 2009
Toronto
Thanks Jhonny, i did what you said, but still cant defrost some apps i dont know why

i have the same problem!

Hmmm, so you both have some apps successfully defrosted using this method and some not. And I'm assuming you have double checked to make sure you did the process correctly and made the changes to the right app references in the file.

I'm just brainstorming here, but can you think of anything that the apps which didn't defrost have in common? Are they all user apps, systems apps, on SD, protected apps,...etc?

jotajota82

Feb 20, 2012
cant defrost

umm, first scuse my "english"

maybe something is not function well in my phone

but i think too that the problem are some apps that has variuos services running

polzovotel

Jun 30, 2011
Austin
There is a nice option in in the ICS rom itself - to disable/enable applications. So there is no need to deal with the packages.xml file - just use native interface:

For me - working w/o any issues.

Reactions: betoNL and Johnny11

Johnny11

Jul 19, 2009
Toronto
There is a nice option in in the ICS rom itself - to disable/enable applications. So there is no need to deal with the packages.xml file - just use native interface:

For me - working w/o any issues.

That is a good solution, but it only works for system apps. Otherwise if it is a user app your only choice is total uninstallation... which is less than ideal in some circumstances.

I thought I found a work around for user apps by using Titanium backup to convert them to system apps so you could disable them through the native interface...but this led to apps disappearing from the system... so it looks like it isn't a viable workaround.

Last edited:

betoNL

I didn't notice anyone had a posted a solution to this problem, so I thought I'd do so in case anyone else ran into it.

I was able to freeze apps fine with Titanium Backup on the latest ICS leak (XXLPB as of right now) but ran into some problems when I wanted to defrost them. Titanium Backup said they were defrosted successfully but they still were listed as frozen and didn't appear in the app drawer.

Here is how to solve the problem:
1. Find /data/system/packages.xml with Root Explorer or an equivalent
2. Make a backup of packages.xml right away in the same folder in case we mess anything up any need to restore it later
3. Copy packages.xml onto the root of your internal or external storage
4. Plug your device into your computer and copy packages.xml from the root of your storage over to your computer
5. Open the packages.xml on your computer with your editor of choice - I suggest Notepad++
6. Search for the string {enabled="2"} (without the { }). Every line ending in this represents a frozen app. The lines should look something like this:
Code:
<package name="com.sec.android.widgetapp.socialhub" codePath="/system/app/SocialHubWidget.apk" nativeLibraryPath="/data/data/com.sec.android.widgetapp.socialhub/lib" flags="1" ft="11b7e237e00" it="11b7e237e00" ut="11b7e237e00" version="1" sharedUserId="10001" [COLOR="Red"]enabled="2"[/COLOR]>
7. Now for every app you wish to unfreeze, replace {enabled="2"} with {enabled="1"} (again, without the {})
7. Save packages.xml, move it back onto your phone's storage, and use Root Explorer or an equivalent to replace your original packages.xml at /data/system/packages.xml with your new one
8. Reboot

Props to olympicchicken for getting me most of the way to the answer: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20771481&postcount=113

***UPDATE*** Feb 29, 2011
See this post for a way to freeze and unfreeze system apps without messing with the packages.xml file. Thanks polzovotel.

Thanks for this thread...just what I needed.
The solution and the tip :)

Replaced the values from
Code:
enabled="2"
to
Code:
enabled="1"
as instructed and everything went flawlessly...

But I also saw some lines with :
Code:
enabled="3"

What that value "3" stands for?

Thanks

Last edited:

joel.bourquard

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2009
Hi all,

Check out Titanium Backup 4.8.4 which performs ICS-friendly freezing now. Also in case you cannot defrost an app, check out Power defrost in the Batch menu :)

Reactions: cuks

Nos_20

Sep 21, 2011
OnePlus City
They have issued an update which should fix this problem. The logcats I sent must have helped!!

GT I900